The Space Marine (Doom)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Snafu the Great
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c9/Doom-boxart.jpg

When Master Chief can blast his way through Hell and live to tell about it, give him this guy's number.

This single Space Marine has taken everything that Hell has thrown at him: Demons, Zombies, Hell Barons, Cacodemons, the Cyberdemon, the kitchen sink and who knows what else and has survived.

That and having the BFG 9000 was handy in tight situations. Sure Master Chief is good, but he's no Space Marine. For that, we respect The Space Marine.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Snafu the Great
When Master Chief can blast his way through Hell and live to tell about it, give him this guy's number.
Quoted for freakin' truth. big grin

I believe the "Space Marine" guy's name was John though (could be wrong).

Also, here's why the Doom movie sucked.

P_6bn2H3BoA

Snafu the Great
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

John was the name in the movie. John Grimm. For lack of a better name while I was playing Doom (Final Doom, Doom 64 and Doom 3 my personal favorites), I just called him Bob.

As much as I love Halo, Master Chief is still wet behind the ears. So he shot his way through the Covenant. Big Deal. Space Marines are more badass.

Ridley_Prime
John was the name in the movie. John Grimm.
And that wasn't played by The Rock, but the other guy? I forget.

For lack of a better name while I was playing Doom (Final Doom, Doom 64 and Doom 3 my personal favorites), I just called him Bob.
Heh...

I haven't played Final Doom, but Doom 3 was pretty great. I couldn't stand Doom 64 though. Most of it was like... too dark, making it hard to see where I was goin'. >.>

As much as I love Halo, Master Chief is still wet behind the ears. So he shot his way through the Covenant. Big Deal. Space Marines are more badass.
Once again, quoted for freakin' truth. clap John owns MC.

Snafu the Great
And that wasn't played by The Rock, but the other guy? I forget.

The Rock was Sarge. John Grimm was played by Karl Urban.

I haven't played Final Doom, but Doom 3 was pretty great. I couldn't stand Doom 64 though. Most of it was like... too dark, making it hard to see where I was goin'. >.>

I had Final Doom for PS1. That game I could play all day, other than Resident Evil.

Once again, quoted for freakin' truth. clap John owns MC.

I call him Bob. Not even Master Chief P.O. John-117 can stand up to the raw power of the BFG 9000

Snafu the Great
In the Doom novels, Bob's name was Cpl. Flynn Taggart.

Burning thought
weapons in Doom cook puny Halos weapons easily...i mean the BFG would wipe the floor with anything MC could pull out

Ridley_Prime
The Rock was Sarge. John Grimm was played by Karl Urban.
Oh, okay...

Like the guy in the video I posted said, whatever you do, don't tell him to go to hell. stick out tongue

I had Final Doom for PS1. That game I could play all day, other than Resident Evil.
Oh. So it was for the PS1? Didn't know that...

I call him Bob. Not even Master Chief P.O. John-117 can stand up to the raw power of the BFG 9000
Heh. John vs John...

But yeah. MC could never withstand a blast from the BFG 9000.

In the Doom novels, Bob's name was Cpl. Flynn Taggart.
Oh, it was? Huh...

Wandering Flame
Not if he was operating a scarab tank. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Plus I made a Ryu Hayabusa versus Flynn Tagart thread around the time I joined KMC and no one posted in it. sad

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Wandering Flame
Yeah, that's true.

I just meant if like MC was running around on the ground.

Plus I made a Ryu Hayabusa versus Flynn Tagart thread around the time I joined KMC and no one posted in it. sad
Dang...
I can relate. sad

I guess the people there just either:

1. Didn't know who Flynn Tagart was.
or
2. Didn't want to admit one of their favorite characters might lose against Tagart (since Ryu Hayabusa seems to be one of the most popular characters on the game versus forum because of his speed and what not).

I don't know.

Snafu the Great

There's a remedy for that Scarab Tank: Big...Fuc*ing...Gun.

As I've posted, there is no actual name for the Space Marine (although I tend to call him Bob whenever I played Doom) Flynn Taggart is the Space Marine's name in the Doom novels.

Burning thought
i think the BFG could destroy just about any physical object (almost) in fiction if going along the lines of tanks and what not, and technology, few things along those lines could survive the power of the BFG, especially the Doom 3 version which can charge up a huge burst

Wandering Flame

Also, here's why the Doom movie sucked.

P_6bn2H3BoA I love that guy's reviews. Did you see the ones for the original Ninja Turtles game and the one for the third Ninja Turtles movie? Those were funny as hell...

And this video is funny too. laughing out loud

Ridley_Prime
I love that guy's reviews. Did you see the ones for the original Ninja Turtles game and the one for the third Ninja Turtles movie? Those were funny as hell...

And this video is funny too. laughing out loud
The Ninja Turtles games and the 3rd movie? Nah. I didn't see his review on those, but besides the Doom one that I posted, I did see his "quote of the week" thing on the first Pokemon movie (which he made 2 different ones of) and the 2nd Street Fighter movie stick out tongue, but I guess I'll watch those Ninja Turtles ones later on.

Wandering Flame
Here it is 313XjUz8IT0CYg

Ridley_Prime
Here it is 313
"Okay. All that just for a pizza?"

"Why does the turtle van have the same energy bar as the turtle you have selected?"

"And you know what pisses me off? They're turtles for ****'s sake, and they can't even swim?"

"Wait. You can just walk over it?..."

hysterical

Wandering Flame
Yeah, I was laughing even harder than that smiley is when I first saw it, which was some months ago.

And here's one of my favs 313

"There are so many things out there to kill you and you have a time limit, so naturally you're rushing to make it through as fast as you can, and all these electric plants hurt you, so you need a lot of patience, but how could you have patience when you're in a f*cking hurry?

F*CK!" hysterical

Diamond Kisses

This single Space Marine has taken everything that Hell has thrown at him: Demons, Zombies, Hell Barons, Cacodemons, the Cyberdemon, the kitchen sink and who knows what else and has survived.

That and having the BFG 9000 was handy in tight situations. Sure Master Chief is good, but he's no Space Marine. For that, we respect The Space Marine.

What makes you think Master Chief can not pull that trough? He just has never been put into the situation. And to a sense, Master Chief is a Space Marine.

You say that Master Chief is not a Space Marine? What makes you take this conclusion? I agree though, as he is not. Master Chief is better in every way shrug

Burning thought
Originally posted by Diamond Kisses
You say that Master Chief is not a Space Marine? What makes you take this conclusion? I agree though, as he is not. Master Chief is better in every way shrug

false, Space marine has that storage space thing, the belt that allows him to carry all his items, MC can only carry a few on him at a time....

unless your only talking without technology, in which case MC and marine are prob equel, since MC woud not have his suit either.

the only thing MC has is speed and physical strength, and their mostly because of his suit, without it hes just a enhanced human is he not? or a well trained soldier

there is a powerup for most of these things in Doom, speed can be enhanced if he wears those speed boots or uses adrenaline i tihnk he has as well, and his strength when he takes that demon upgrade thing

Remindme
Master Chief is better in every way shrug

Nah, Doomguy has way more impressive feat under his belt, want to compare?

MC
- Fighting in the midst of 3 clashing Armies

Doomguy
- Blasting his way through the demons of hell and back

..... not hard when you simplify it is it? ^^

Diamond Kisses
Originally posted by Burning thought
false, Space marine has that storage space thing, the belt that allows him to carry all his items, MC can only carry a few on him at a time....

unless your only talking without technology, in which case MC and marine are prob equel, since MC woud not have his suit either.

the only thing MC has is speed and physical strength, and their mostly because of his suit, without it hes just a enhanced human is he not? or a well trained soldier

there is a powerup for most of these things in Doom, speed can be enhanced if he wears those speed boots or uses adrenaline i tihnk he has as well, and his strength when he takes that demon upgrade thing

- The weapon part: Game Mechanics
- Master Chief is not who he is plainly because of his armor. He is a geneticly manipulated 'machine'. The Space Marine is not near him in physical capabilities.
- If you start bringing in powerup's then you are no longer talking about the Space Marine. You are talking about addons to simplify gameplay and the battle against hell. The powerups are not really a part of the characters capabilities.

Originally posted by Remindme
Nah, Doomguy has way more impressive feat under his belt, want to compare?

MC
- Fighting in the midst of 3 clashing Armies

Doomguy
- Blasting his way through the demons of hell and back

..... not hard when you simplify it is it? ^^

What exactly makes hell worse than the covenants? Hell does not neccessarily have to be this near inpenetratable 'fortress' with super soldiers to guard it. Hell is a 'title' and is no proof that they are powerful

Wandering Flame
DK hug lion

Diamond Kisses
lion

Wandering Flame
Grr 131

Remindme
What exactly makes hell worse than the covenants? Hell does not neccessarily have to be this near inpenetratable 'fortress' with super soldiers to guard it. Hell is a 'title' and is no proof that they are powerful

Okay, what would you rather do?

Do what MC does in his Games

or

Do what Doomguy does? (Gotta love those power cuts)

Diamond Kisses
I would rather fight the covenant, but not because I believe it is easier. I would do it because I probably would be scarred with fear for life after fighting demons from hell shrug

Remindme
Well in both cases it's unlikely you or I would survive.

Still, IMO Doom would be a hell (lol pun big grin) of atlot harder to survive.

Burning thought
- The weapon part: Game Mechanics
- Master Chief is not who he is plainly because of his armor. He is a geneticly manipulated 'machine'. The Space Marine is not near him in physical capabilities.
- If you start bringing in powerup's then you are no longer talking about the Space Marine. You are talking about addons to simplify gameplay and the battle against hell. The powerups are not really a part of the characters capabilities.

what weapon part? i think its explained in one of the PDA's why doomguy in Doom 3 can carry all his weapons, its taken more serously now isnt it why a human can only carry a few items but in Doom 3 i distinctly remember them saying something about the Doom guy haveing some sort of belt that allows him to store things.

yes Physically, but weaponwise, Doom guy pwns MC hard

Also Covenants are far more forgiving than the denizens of hell, no way would i want to fight denizens of hell, if you, I or remindme (maybe not darkhalen) into a covenant battle VS marines and we had some rockets or machine guns were likely to survive a minute or so before were killed wheras in hell wed not only go out of our minds with fear but wed prob be demon raped by cherubs or all sorts of horrors before we have the courage to lift a weapon, what Chief goes through is far easier than hell and Doom guys opponents for sure.

Superboy Prime
LoL

What exactly is a "Space Marine"?

Because I am siding with Diamond Kisses here. Sure Master Chief is not THIS space marine, but he is still A space marine.

And by the way Halo > Any weapon in Doom.

Burning thought
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
LoL

What exactly is a "Space Marine"?

Because I am siding with Diamond Kisses here. Sure Master Chief is not THIS space marine, but he is still A space marine.

And by the way Halo > Any weapon in Doom.

i dunno tbh, i would simply state a space marine is a marine who is sent across space and aboard ships to combat areas other than a marine of one country or continent

and no....rubbish...one BFG blast would turn MC and just about any of his enemies into slag with one shot, possibly many of his enemies as well as any....also you have rapid fire plasma weapons, most plasma weapons in Haloverse take charge power

Superboy Prime
i dunno tbh, i would simply state a space marine is a marine who is sent across space and aboard ships to combat areas other than a marine of one country or continent

Exactly.

and no....rubbish...one BFG blast would turn MC and just about any of his enemies into slag with one shot, possibly many of his enemies as well as any....also you have rapid fire plasma weapons, most plasma weapons in Haloverse take charge power

Halo is a weapon. Master Chief fires Halo just as he is about to get killed by the BFG. He dies. Then the Space Marine, Hell, Covenant, the Flood, the Muppet Babies...every sentient being in the galaxy ceases to exist.

Burning thought
Halo is a weapon. Master Chief fires Halo just as he is about to get killed by the BFG. He dies. Then the Space Marine, hell, Covenant, the Flood, the muppet babies...every sentient being in the galaxy ceases to exist.

oh sorry yes i understand, i thought you were saying any weapon that the Chief himself uses is greater, the Halo is not actually chiefs weapon though and this would depend on placing...he would not be able to activate it if he was in the bowels of hell, and no if he activated it, Hell woudl not die, its not a sentient being is it...nor would the Cyberdemo nsince the soul cube is that.

Also hell is like a paralell dimension, the Halos effect would not effect all dimensions in excistence.

Superboy Prime
Aye. I'd rather see them team up to kill alien/hellish ass than fight.

And to answer Snafu's baiting intro...the Chief can definitely mess hell up if he is given the same weapons the Space Marine had at his disposable. It honestly makes no sense to think otherwise if he actually had them.

Burning thought
Aye. I'd rather see them team up to kill alien/hellish ass than fight.

And to answer Snafu's baiting intro...the Chief can definitely mess hell up if he is given the same weapons the Space Marine had at his disposable. It honestly makes no sense to think otherwise if he actually had them.

well it depends, if were takling about a real fight in hell, i dont think either the marine or Chief would mess hell up, to be fair Doom guy did not exacltye explore the entierty of hell, and like most Doom gameplay everything is scripted, demons hiding here, monsters hiding there, if it was not gameplay based and was real you wouldnt have this scripting and its likely demons, thousands would probably just teleport to smother you

also take into account Chief would not have access to the near infnite ammo you seem to get in games, for example you can carry only a finite amount of missles in the launcher itself, and on your person, same with all the other ammo..BFG energy cells are large if i remember correctly.

Superboy Prime
You don't understand my point. My point is the chief will be able to do anything the Space Marine did if he had the weapons the Space Marine HAD.

What is so hard to understand about that, or is it some sort of hidden bias against the Chief?

Infinite ammo? Why would it matter. He would have the Space Marine's weapons, not his assault rifle.

Give me one real reason why the Chief would not be able to clear the adventure the Space Marine went through if he had the same weapons the Space Marine did. Especially when taking into consideration the Chief is superior to the Space Marine in every physical stat, experience, skill, tenacity and can have extra help/intel from Cortana.

Burning thought
You don't understand my point. My point is the chief will be able to do anything the Space Marine did if he had the weapons the Space Marine HAD.

What is so hard to understand about that, or is it some sort of hidden bias against the Chief?

Infinite ammo? Why would it matter. He would have the Space Marine's weapons, not his assault rifle.

Give me one real reason why the Chief would not be able to clear the adventure the Space Marine went through if he had the same weapons the Space Marine did. Especially when taking into consideration the Chief is superior to the Space Marine in every physical stat, experience, skill, tenacity and can have extra help/intel from Cortana.

no i understand that point....but are we talking gameplay or not? gameplaywise he would ofcourse, otherwise no because first most powerups would need him to touch them, unlikely woudl it be if he gained effects of them if his suit which is gloved and covers his body did touch the powerups, furthermore he still would not have infnite ammo, he would run out sooner or later and fall since he does not have the special power storage of the Marine.

i agree, he is in all those stats but without the power storage his ammo will run dry fairly quickly, combine that with the fact in a real situation you cannot use gmae functions like save/pause or any such to sit and read information important for playing the gmae as the marine, its unlikely to work that way, he will miss out on information that is important, also i doubt even the marine woud be able to do this if it werent for his power storage, if he could at all.

Superboy Prime
Cortana will not let the Chief miss any important information.

And now I understand what you meant with the power storage. So basically the Space Marine's ammo is resupplised by his power storage. MJOLNIR does have a very power generator/storage. With some thinking Cortana MIGHT use it to resupply the Chief An example of Cortana messing with the MJOLNIR armor would be found in Halo:CE when she used the Chief's shield to destroy one of Halo's power devices(forgot the name) That of course is only speculation.

Burning thought
Cortana will not let the Chief miss any important information.

And now I understand what you meant with the power storage. So basically the Space Marine's ammo is resupplised by his power storage. MJOLNIR does have a very power generator/storage. With some thinking Cortana MIGHT use it to resupply the Chief An example of Cortana messing with the MJOLNIR armor would be found in Halo:CE when she used the Chief's shield to destroy one of Halo's power devices(forgot the name) That of course is only speculation.

the marine has what ime saying is a power storage belt, the belt is the reason how he carries all these items, BFG, rocket launcher etc etc, he doesnt actually carry them all on him, same with lal this ammo, its humanly possible to carry 40 rocket packs, 4 BFG cell boxes and god knows how many pistol clips etc etc, but with his belt he can for some reason, its one of his items i say he has special over the chief, who can only carry a certan amount of objects

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.