UK and US forget Christmas

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130/ap_on_fe_st/odd_where_s_christmas

Thoughts?

lil bitchiness
No Christmas Please, We're British

Bardock42
It's funny. Christmas is, without a doubt, the biggest holiday in the US. That it was omitted while Kwanzaa wasn't might be an indicator that we should be more realistic....not being ignorant is a good thing, but trading ignorance of an artificial celebration for Americans of African descent for ignorance of a traditional holiday celebrated for years by a good 95% of the population is rather ridiculous.

Still, probably just a simple error.

lil bitchiness
I posted it because it clearly demonstrates how scared some people are to offend someone (and with that lose their jobs).

The PCs seem really scared and stressed. And in America of all places.

Still funny thought.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I posted it because it clearly demonstrates how scared some people are to offend someone (and with that lose their jobs).

Still funny thought. Yeah, I meant that though I didn't want to say PC. I'm against PC, but I think some people just throw the "PC HAS GONE MAD" out there as if it was the end to all arguments. One still needs reasons, in my opinion.

Neo Darkhalen
I am an Atheist, yet I still believe in Christmas as a time for family, and decoration, I find it outrageous that other religions are put before the main religion of the two country's, I don't like the fact that others want it to be changed or dulled down, apparently they want Christmas to be called Winterfest, now since Christianity was there first in the two country's, I don't think any other religion has the damn nerve or right to be dictating the way things go, for another religion.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
I am an Atheist, yet I still believe in Christmas as a time for family, and decoration, I find it outrageous that other religions are put before the main religion of the two country's, I don't like the fact that others want it to be changed or dulled down, apparently they want Christmas to be called Winterfest, now since Christianity was there first in the two country's, I don't think any other religion has the damn nerve or right to be dictating the way things go, for another religion. Actually Christmas was a pagan festival first. Also, you are an odd atheist.

exanda kane
I am an Atheist

Can you stop saying this now, I think you've drilled it into our brains enough.

Neo Darkhalen
big grin

Drill Drill Drill....................Now destroy.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Actually Christmas was a pagan festival first.

I don't care at all.

Bardock42

I don't care at all.

Why argue at all then? Your whole argument has just been shown to be incorrect and you don't care?

Neo Darkhalen
I was not arguing?

I was saying other religions are taking over the traditions of the country's, since Christianity is the first main religion of that, and I said I don't care of it being a pagan festival, I don't care about any religion I just don't like that other religions are taking over cultures and traditions.

Bardock42
I was not arguing?

I was saying other religions are taking over the traditions of the country's, since Christianity is the first main religion of that, and I said I don't care of it being a pagan festival, I don't care about any religion I just don't like that other religions are taking over cultures and traditions. Are you not very smart? Christianity being the first doesn't matter. And what people want to celebrate is their decision.

JediSamuraiMRB
For as long as I live I will never ever forget Christmas.

jaden101
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

Still funny thought.

the irony is that when you speak to people from religious minorities...none of them ever say christmas offends them...in fact some have told me that us being afraid of offending them but ignoring our own festivals of religion is more offensive as it means that we are ignoring our equivalent of something they hold very dear...and that we somehow think they are going to react in an extremist manner if we have the audacity to celebrate our own religion

Victor Von Doom
This is one of those abortion-type issues, where both sides end up being annoying.

chithappens
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
This is one of those abortion-type issues, where both sides end up being annoying.

How so?

Robtard

Don't be so quick to judge, after all, AC has yet to post in here.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Robtard
Don't be so quick to judge, after all, AC has yet to post in here. When AC posts it's usually about the time when everything gets annoying.

Robtard
When AC posts it's usually about the time when everything gets annoying.

Yeah, what I said, Mrs. Robtard.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by chithappens
How so?

Have you read the 9000 pages of the abortion thread?

If not, read the following approximately 9000 times.

It is.

It's not.

Is.

Isn't.

You.

Nah you.

Is.

Ain't.

Should.

Shouldn't.

You.

Nah you.

Murder killing murder killing murder killing murder killing.

Is.

Ain't.

chithappens
Shrug, this is not an issue of life though.

The Magna Carta should have made this a moot issue but oh well.

Victor Von Doom
Shrug, this is not an issue of life though.

The Magna Carta should have made this a moot issue but oh well.

No.

It's...an issue where both sides become annoying.

Like abortion.

chithappens
I' m not sure there is a secular argument to keep one religion's whatever over another.

The way you are talking EVERY subject would be annoying.

Victor Von Doom

The way you are talking EVERY subject would be annoying.

No, it only happens with certain subjects.

Both sides become equally irritating, until you just wish every baby were aborted and used to attack pro-choicers.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Robtard
Don't be so quick to judge, after all, AC has yet to post in here. the page is long enough. no expression

BackFire
No.

It's...an issue where both sides become annoying.

Like abortion.

You.

Jaime Sommers
I honestly couldn't care less. IMO, Xmas should be banned from schools. I don't like the idea of having religion shoved down the throats of innocent people.

Alpha Centauri
First:

*Annoying stuff*

Originally posted by Jaime Sommers
I honestly couldn't care less. IMO, Xmas should be banned from schools. I don't like the idea of having religion shoved down the throats of innocent people.

You couldn't care less but you hold the opinion that something originally not "religious" (In the way you mean it) should be banned from schools? Athiesm is something that shouldn't be forced on to people either.

-AC

Jaime Sommers
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
First:

*Annoying stuff*

You couldn't care less but you hold the opinion that something originally not "religious" (In the way you mean it) should be banned from schools? Athiesm is something that shouldn't be forced on to people either.

-AC

Lol, I was kinda joking. What I should have said was, that this was obviously a mistake, and the parents should have known that, but instead they get angry and offended. Some people just get offended too easily.

Bardock42
First:

*Annoying stuff*

-AC I think it is more the separation of Church and State that many US Americans believe in than forcing Atheism on everyone.

If they'd suddenly celebrate Atheist festivals I'd agree, though...chances are slim, as there aren't any.

Also, "theist" .... "E" .... "I".

ragesRemorse
Actually Christmas was a pagan festival first. Also, you are an odd atheist.

Just the month that it is celebrated in. The two celebrations were always separate. The Christian celebration was just chosen to be acknowledged in late December in a way of exterminating everything PAgan

Jaime Sommers
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Just the month that it is celebrated in. The two celebrations were always separate. The Christian celebration was just chosen to be acknowledged in late December in a way of exterminating everything PAgan

I believe this to be true. Sad, really, that the early Christians couldn't show respect to the religion that was around before theirs.

lord xyz
First:

*Annoying stuff*

-AC Shouldn't be forced, but the abscence of religion isn't forcing atheism, even though it has the implication. Just because someone has a no religion policy doesn't mean they're forcing atheism down people's throats. They don't have religion in the wine club, but that doesn't mean all members of the wine club are atheist, or should be atheist. It is better for atheists duely noted, but not necessarily forcing atheism onto people of said club, just doesn't mention it, which it shouldn't.

That's the trouble with atheism, you can't treat it as a religion since it isn't (a) religion.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Jaime Sommers
Out from the light I command thee, troll.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

Indeed.

In fact, Christmas was originally celebrated on the 7th of January. It is the Pope who originally moved the calender around, which makes it 14 days out from the original Christian Calender.

Two celebrations were NEVER the same, nor were they celebrated on the same day. When Christianity started they weren't even celebrated in the same month.

shaynebmxxx
These days everyones to worried about being "politically correct"
and not offending anyone, but the problem is, someones always going to be offended. Plus im agnostic, but im not going to try and tell every christian there wrong, and shouldnt celebrate christmas, but on the same hand if i were christian, i wouldnt go around telling everyone else they have to celebrate christmas. People take stuff to personal these days and like the kid was saying about the abortion thing, both sides are only going to get get more irritating.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.