Lets find discrimination!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soljer
You know, for fun.

Val
"Big Barda, a white female character and the only one of the New Gods who has an active series, who is probably the main New God after Darkseid and Scott Free in terms of popularity, recognition, and people who give a shit about her existence, was killed off-panel."

Lulz. If Barda is tops in New God popularity, no wonder DC wants to kill them.

willRules
Originally posted by Val
"Big Barda, a white female character and the only one of the New Gods who has an active series, who is probably the main New God after Darkseid and Scott Free in terms of popularity, recognition, and people who give a shit about her existence, was killed off-panel."

Lulz. If Barda is tops in New God popularity, no wonder DC wants to kill them.

Barda who? confused

shifty

DigiMark007
laughing out loud

TricksterPriest
Bring back Highfather! durfist

Obviously nobody cares about that other guy. The one with the flaming head and the stick. Whatshisname. shifty

Plus, has this guy seen Orion's real face? White he is not. laughing out loud And I'm not talking about the one in DOTNG. I'm talking about the one after he fought DS H2H awhile ago.

I love how Kalibak gets ignored, again. laughing Kalibak: "KALIBAK IS STAR! WHY DOES DC SCREW KALIBAK OVER AGAIN!?"

manjaro
grayven isnt white..he's blue/grey like his father

strengthkills
Thats some funny shit,Black Racer got killed off-panel...I would have never thought of it as racism.

LOL

nvrbeenwthagirl
Black Racer Was taken out first or so it seems becuz he could mess up the plans. obviously showing that he was a real threat. Also, one of the forever people, is black. The other is a woman. They are very important to the story. I see no racism.

tjcoady
having Barda killed in her kitchen and having her death exist as nothing else but a spur towards her husband's actions is pretty much a text book case of misogyny. And if you disagree or don't recognize that, then it's obvious that you don't entirely understand what the concept means.

Badabing
Originally posted by nvrbeenwthagirl
Black Racer Was taken out first or so it seems becuz he could mess up the plans. obviously showing that he was a real threat. Also, one of the forever people, is black. The other is a woman. They are very important to the story. I see no racism. I have to agree with Nvr. I'm guessing with his ethnicity and preferences that he'd know bias when he saw it.

grey fox
I'm pretty sure the killer is either Takion or Highfather.

Martian_mind
Takion was killed last issue...

Endless Mike
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Takion was killed last issue...

He could have faked his death

Bentley
It is true that his heart was not ripped off in the same way. It would be a good twist, even if the scenes previous to the attack are not consistent at all.

WrathfulDwarf
I been holding judgement on these events. But I'm just going to relase some steam....The entire Death of the New Gods is just a big "whodunnit?" plot from cheesy murder mystery movie. Great way to take some of the most unique and well crafted characters created by Kirby to turn them into a murder mystery victims. Jim Starlin better start coming out with something really good in the next three books. Or Kirby's ghost will haunt him forever.

All we need now is for Granny Goodness to turn into Agatha Kristy and she solves the crime. (sarcasm intented)

roughrider
And people get their shorts in a knot when John Stewart becomes the main Green Lantern over Hal Jordan in the JL - both comics & on TV.
We still have a ways to go to have comics reflect multiculturalism in North America & the World. Some of that strain of white/male preferred favouritism still exists in the industry; Starlin is one of many old dogs out there.

Soljer
Originally posted by roughrider
And people get their shorts in a knot when John Stewart becomes the main Green Lantern over Hal Jordan in the JL - both comics & on TV.

Are they bothered because he's black? no.

Jordan is the lantern - it's quite that simple. I'd be equally upset if Gardener was the 'main' lantern in JLA.

Val
It's not because Jordan is the Lantern. Nobody gets upset when Kyle is chosen for something over Hal. Plus, everybody is always screaming for more Alan exposure.

However, it has nothing to do with race. Rayner himself is half mexican. It's because John just flat out isn't that interesting.

nvrbeenwthagirl
Originally posted by Val
It's not because Jordan is the Lantern. Nobody gets upset when Kyle is chosen for something over Hal. Plus, everybody is always screaming for more Alan exposure.

However, it has nothing to do with race. Rayner himself is half mexican. It's because John just flat out isn't that interesting.
I like John. He seems very interesting in the new JLA. Which seems to be very multicultural. Or heading that way.

roughrider
Originally posted by Val

From a personality standpoint, Jordan is the least interesting one. Just like Barry Allen was much less interesting compared to Wally West. Having a roster too populated by bland white guys from the 1950's gets stagnant. Firestorm is now black, the new Atom is Asian - I wouldn't mind at all if John Stewart was the Number One Lantern.

Val
I don't see why blandness has to be exclusive to white guys. Talk about discrimination. Lulz.

All I'm saying about John Stewart is that the majority's preference for Hal or Kyle has nothing to do with John being black.

Soljer
Originally posted by Val

Fair enough, allow me to restate.

For me it's because Jordan is the Lantern. I like Kyle as well, usually see them as equals in overall capability, and would be less disappointed with Kyle than I am with John, but, still it's nothing to do with race. I'd be equally disappointed with either John or Guy - hell, he's never even been on the JLA, but I'd rather see Kilowog than John or Guy, and he's not even human.

Val
Looks like we agree again. uhuh

roughrider
Originally posted by Val
I don't see why blandness has to be exclusive to white guys. Talk about discrimination. Lulz.

All I'm saying about John Stewart is that the majority's preference for Hal or Kyle has nothing to do with John being black.

Fair enough. But you can see what producers are doing when they make TV shows or movies from comics - they want the widest possible appeal, beyond Middle America. That's how John got the call over Hal for the animated series, and why many neutral characters - Alicia Masters, The Kingpin, Harvey Dent - have had their race changed to African American, to better represent. Heck, they even had many black actors voicing non-black characters in the JL cartoon - Keith David, Phil Morris, Dennis Haysbert, Michael Jai White.
The trend will continue, which is why someone like Hal could be squeezed out. Matbe if they do Kyle Rayner, they'll make him completely latino instead of half.

Master-Borg
Originally posted by Val

well majority of characters are white. so for every 'bland' Hal you get an interesting Wolverine or a funny Spiderman or a heroic Captain America, etc.

But there are so few black/minority characters that there will not be any counterbalance if they are written to be bland.

This isn't to say minority characters should be forced to be token superstars, rather writers should have the goal of creating interesting characterization for any characters, regardless of race or gender.

Badabing
Hey, at least you all have characters portraying your backgrounds. What we need is more Italian heroes! What do we Italians/Sicilians have? Punisher, Strong Guy, Huntress, Rockslide and The Darkness. I'm sick of my ethnic heritage being shown as mostly criminals and gangsters! durfist

BTW, I'm not serious. stick out tongue

Val
You mean you all don't have Mob ties and don't walk around screaming every sentence like Pacino?

Accel
Fair enough. But you can see what producers are doing when they make TV shows or movies from comics - they want the widest possible appeal, beyond Middle America. That's how John got the call over Hal for the animated series, and why many neutral characters - Alicia Masters, The Kingpin, Harvey Dent - have had their race changed to African American, to better represent. Heck, they even had many black actors voicing non-black characters in the JL cartoon - Keith David, Phil Morris, Dennis Haysbert, Michael Jai White.
The trend will continue, which is why someone like Hal could be squeezed out. Matbe if they do Kyle Rayner, they'll make him completely latino instead of half.
That all sounds more like a paranoid delusion than any thing else. I mean how many actors besides Michael Clarke Duncan had the appropriate body type to play the Kingpin? And do you really think Pil LaMarr was hired to play the voice of Samurai Jack just so that show would appeal more to black people?

TricksterPriest

I agree that they are trying a little hard to make it more multi-cultural. But, if they get good actors who understand the characters and are willing to portray them in the spirit of the comics, I have no problem with it.

Take Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin in Daredevil. He was the only good thing in that movie (well, him and Colin Farrel as Bullseye) and he was perfect for the role. He nailed it. And most fans didn't give a shit about his race, because he respected the character and portrayed him the right way.

And in fairness, your examples with voice work doesn't hold. Keith David does alot of voiceovers, and quite a few of his animated roles are for non-humans. He was Despero on JL, Goliath on Gargoyles, and ironically enough, Spawn in the HBO series of the same name. And Spawn, despite being undead, is still technically black and one of the most well known characters in comics.

And I don't like John Stewart either. He's a snooze. stick out tongue Kyle's always been the most interesting in terms of story and character development IMO. Though Hal and Alan are very close and probably tied for 2nd. Guy is just fun and an entertaining jerk.

Badabing
Originally posted by Val
You mean you all don't have Mob ties and don't walk around screaming every sentence like Pacino? The Mob is a myth.......whistle

willRules
Originally posted by Badabing
Hey, at least you all have characters portraying your backgrounds. What we need is more Italian heroes! What do we Italians/Sicilians have? Punisher, Strong Guy, Huntress, Rockslide and The Darkness. I'm sick of my ethnic heritage being shown as mostly criminals and gangsters! durfist

BTW, I'm not serious. stick out tongue

stick out tongue Yeah well us Brits don't get any cool superheroes! The only good one we have is Psylocke and she inhabits the body of an Asian Lady! stick out tongue

grey fox
Originally posted by willRules
stick out tongue Yeah well us Brits don't get any cool superheroes! The only good one we have is Psylocke and she inhabits the body of an Asian Lady! stick out tongue

*Slaps Will*

Big Ben
V
MiracleMan
etc

B.A
Who's Big Ben and Miracleman?

pr1983
I like jordan because to me he's the most interesting lantern... thats just personal preference, and yes i was annoyed when he was replaced, because i was looking forward to seeing my favourite heroes on a team...

multiculturalism for the sake of it is the most ridiculous criteria to use when constructing a team for a comic... you pick the best characters for the team, or the ones you like writing the most... maybe mcduffie likes having john on the team because thats his favourite lantern and he likes writing him... if thats it, then fair enough... but having them simply because he's black? thats crap...

Originally posted by Val

you don't get upset because you like kyle... stick out tongue

Originally posted by Val
You mean you all don't have Mob ties and don't walk around screaming every sentence like Pacino?

bada does... ermm

roughrider

It's ironic. Maybe the best writers come from the UK - Moore, Morrison, Ellis, Gaiman, Ennis, Milligan - and they just get hired to write American characters. big grin

SevenShackles
John Stewart is one of my favorite characters, who honestly needs more spotlight in comics, more development. some people say they dont like him cuz he isnt interesting and want him replaced by someone like Hal. but how the hell is he ever gonna develop as a character if he is constantly stuck on the shelf? i would like very much for Kyle to magically become full Latino as i dont feel like im properly represented in the lantern corp or DC superheroes.

black panther, black lightning, Mr.Terrific, John Stewart, Thunder, Storm, Vixen, Goliath, Manhattan Guardian and thats right off the top of my head but wtf, i cant list as many Hispanics.. i can list more lizard people than i can Hispanics.

if someone could, be my guest. ;_;

pr1983
you are right of course... if a character needs development (and john getting a bit of spotlight wouldnt hurt) then all the better.. i still cringe when i see what kara did to him...

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Soljer
You know, for fun.

Let me fix some of that.

Darkseid, a heavily muscled dark skinned man, is clearly being portrayed as a villain.

Also Orion, a powerfully muscled man, is being portrayed as though being a warrior is somehow a dominant aspect of who he his. It's as though the writers can deal with having a physically fit person who is also smart.

Metron, a highly intelligent man, is portrayed as a stereotypical geek unable to even remotely connect with others. He is also depicted as dangerously emaciated and having a drug addiction a vice not depicted in any of the other characters!.

ScottFree, son of a wealthy family and in possession of considerable power, is adolescently unable to deal with the death of his wife despite the slaughter of his entire species.

The BlackRacer, a Black man, is the character that others are most surprised is to learn is dead. That's right dozens have died but the writers have decided that this one man is somehow deserving of so much attention.

SpearofDestiny
hahahaaaaaaa

Master-Borg
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Let me fix some of that.

Darkseid, a heavily muscled dark skinned man, is clearly being portrayed as a villain.

Also Orion, a powerfully muscled man, is being portrayed as though being a warrior is somehow a dominant aspect of who he his. It's as though the writers can deal with having a physically fit person who is also smart.

Metron, a highly intelligent man, is portrayed as a stereotypical geek unable to even remotely connect with others. He is also depicted as dangerously emaciated and having a drug addiction a vice not depicted in any of the other characters!.

ScottFree, son of a wealthy family and in possession of considerable power, is adolescently unable to deal with the death of his wife despite the slaughter of his entire species.

The BlackRacer, a Black man, is the character that others are most surprised is to learn is dead. That's right dozens have died but the writers have decided that this one man is somehow deserving of so much attention.

I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make.

Again, there is a broad spectrum of 'white' characters, so that all types of personalities can be depicted...from the 'stereotypically geeky' metron to funny geek Spiderman to ruff gruff Wolverine to smart badass Batman to perfect boyscout Superman to philosopher like Prof X, etc...my point is that since the vast majority of characters are white, their personalities range from one end of the spectrum to the other and duds are counterbalanced by superstars. Since there are so few minority characters, the counterbalance often does not exist.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Master-Borg
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make.

Again, there is a broad spectrum of 'white' characters, so that all types of personalities can be depicted...from the 'stereotypically geeky' metron to funny geek Spiderman to ruff gruff Wolverine to smart badass Batman to perfect boyscout Superman to philosopher like Prof X, etc...my point is that since the vast majority of characters are white, their personalities range from one end of the spectrum to the other and duds are counterbalanced by superstars. Since there are so few minority characters, the counterbalance often does not exist.

God I want to insult you.

Master-Borg
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
God I want to insult you.

Why?

This is what I took your post to mean:

People shouldn't complain about minority characters being duds(or equivalent adjective) since there are many white characters who are also

My response is:

The difference lies in that while there certainly are bad characterizations of white characters, there are ample more awesome characterizations of white characters to counterbalance. Whereas sometimes when there is just one or two minority characters who suck or are neglected, there is no counterbalance.

However, I am in no way suggesting that there is discrimination, far from it.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Master-Borg
Why?

This is what I took your post to mean:

People shouldn't complain about minority characters being duds(or equivalent adjective) since there are many white characters who are also

No it was just a joke. Purely the product of my deranged imagination.

Not really meant to be taken seriously (in lieu of the whole Hudlin disaster from a while back)

roughrider
Here's a reminder about why the 'Women In Refridgerators' trend was being tracked by Gail Simone - The first female Green Lantern Katma Tui, a victim only as females in comics can be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katma_Tui

http://ragnell.blogspot.com/2006/05/rant.html

Mr. Slippyfist
'Women In Refridgerators' Are you talking about perky nipples? confused

tjcoady
Originally posted by SevenShackles
John Stewart is one of my favorite characters, who honestly needs more spotlight in comics, more development. some people say they dont like him cuz he isnt interesting and want him replaced by someone like Hal. but how the hell is he ever gonna develop as a character if he is constantly stuck on the shelf? i would like very much for Kyle to magically become full Latino as i dont feel like im properly represented in the lantern corp or DC superheroes.

black panther, black lightning, Mr.Terrific, John Stewart, Thunder, Storm, Vixen, Goliath, Manhattan Guardian and thats right off the top of my head but wtf, i cant list as many Hispanics.. i can list more lizard people than i can Hispanics.

if someone could, be my guest. ;_;

off the top of my head, I can think of... White Tiger (the new one), and... El Diablo. Fire is Brazilian. Uhhh... Big Words. Bane. Vibe. Powerhaus. Arachne. Darwin. Arana. Empath. Fabian Cortez. Rictor. Satana. All of the Marvel Tarantuala's. Wind Dancer. Victor Mancha from the Runaways (incidentally, in my opinion, probably the most diversified team in comics, and one of the best books out there).

So yeah, that's a pretty terrible list in terms of hispanic heroes.

But if you're going to pick most underrepresenated ethnicity, Asian people have like... The new Atom? Anyone else?

Incidentally, I didn't know that Kyle Rayner was half Irish/half Mexican. I never expected a comic book character would share my particular background.

tjcoady
Here's a reminder about why the 'Women In Refridgerators' trend was being tracked by Gail Simone - The first female Green Lantern Katma Tui, a victim only as females in comics can be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katma_Tui

http://ragnell.blogspot.com/2006/05/rant.html

heh, you read Ragnell too? Not her biggest fan, but I enjoy her from time to time.

Martian_mind
Wooo Australia.

I have Tasmanian Devil and Boomerang...and i think chamber may be aboriginal.

Accel
Wooo Australia.

And the Kangaroo. Don't forget the Kangaroo.

Martian_mind
then found the Kangaroo in a compromising situation, which resulted in implied sodomy.

F*ck i hate comic writers....f*ck i do..

Accel
laughing out loud

roughrider
Wooo Australia.

That's better than Canada, anyway. Canada virtually doesn't exist in the DC Universe; at least we're a major player in the Marvel Universe, thanks to Wolvergod & his fans. big grin

TricksterPriest
That's better than Canada, anyway. Canada virtually doesn't exist in the DC Universe; at least we're a major player in the Marvel Universe, thanks to Wolvergod & his fans. big grin

I'm sure there are a few canadian superheroes in DC. Major player due to Wolvergod? laughing out loud Mungi would have a heart attack if he heard that.

roughrider
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I'm sure there are a few canadian superheroes in DC.

Who?
................(crickets sounding)........................

SaintSmurph
Only one I can think of is Plastique, and she's a villain.

Also French Canadian. ermm

willRules
Originally posted by grey fox
*Slaps Will*

Big Ben
V
MiracleMan
etc

I said cool superheroes yes

tjcoady
I said cool superheroes yes

Cool superheroes? England has John Constantine! It doesn't get cooler than that.

willRules
ah true. yes

King_Mungi
Who?
................(crickets sounding)........................

Can't think of one really

Originally posted by SaintSmurph
Only one I can think of is Plastique, and she's a villain.

Also French Canadian. ermm

That's about it

Martian_mind
Oz got a rape victim, a Homosexual(nothing wrong with that of course..) a filthy mutant and some D*ck who throws sticks.

yay us.

tjcoady
hey, Captain Boomerang is sweet as hell . Although, according to Suicide Squad, he isn't really even Australian. He just got brought there at a young age, and pretends he was born there.

roughrider
Oz got a rape victim, a Homosexual(nothing wrong with that of course..) a filthy mutant and some D*ck who throws sticks.

yay us.

Hey, the first time they ever animated Wolverine for TV, they gave him an Aussie accent! SACRILEGE!!! mad

But Hugh Jackman would eventually settle that score. He made a fine Canadian. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.