Young Chimp Beats College Students

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deano
'Think you're smarter than a fifth-grader? How about a 5-year-old chimp? Japanese researchers pitted young chimps against human adults in tests of short-term memory, and overall, the chimps won. That challenges the belief of many people, including many scientists, that "humans are superior to chimpanzees in all cognitive functions," said researcher Tetsuro Matsuzawa of Kyoto University.'

http://www.davidicke.com/images/stories/December%202007/bushchimp.jpg
Does that mean I'm more intelligent than y'all thought?'

'No, mate, no.'

so whats to blame for a 5 year old chimp having a better memory than the average human? has tv and food additives destroyed our brains that much..

or..

do chimps just have better memorys than humans

discuss

JacopeX
I am not really suprised. Many other animals tend to have very superb memories. Example, an elephant.

Robtard
Originally posted by JacopeX
I am not really suprised. Many other animals tend to have very superb memories. Example, an elephant.

In the case of an Elephant, they (more so in females) have larger areas in the brain where long term memories are stored (Episodic, I think) comparatively speaking. They need this, to get back to places of water/food/mating etc., as they often travel back to those places years in between.

Curious, what "many" other animals "tend to have superb memories?"

Kram3r
Originally posted by Robtard
In the case of an Elephant, they (more so in females) have larger areas in the brain where long term memories are stored (Episodic, I think) comparatively speaking. They need this, to get back to places of water/food/mating etc., as they often travel back to those places years in between.

Curious, what "many" other animals "tend to have superb memories?"

Goldfish? sad

Shinde Imasu
Originally posted by Kram3r
Goldfish? sad

HAHA, quite obviously not goldfish. Actually, I can't think of any other animal with amazing memory ... But I did like that story, I read it yesterday in the newspaper. Very clever.

Kram3r
Originally posted by Shinde Imasu
HAHA, quite obviously not goldfish.

Y-yes quite.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Deano
'Think you're smarter than a fifth-grader? How about a 5-year-old chimp? Japanese researchers pitted young chimps against human adults in tests of short-term memory, and overall, the chimps won. That challenges the belief of many people, including many scientists, that "humans are superior to chimpanzees in all cognitive functions," said researcher Tetsuro Matsuzawa of Kyoto University.'

'No, mate, no.'

so whats to blame for a 5 year old chimp having a better memory than the average human? has tv and food additives destroyed our brains that much..

or..

discuss Whether they do or don't, humans are still superior. We...built...cars...roads...and petrol stations. With this we are able to pretty much travel almost everywhere on the Earth, more than I can say for some dumb chimp.

tabby999
Originally posted by lord xyz
Whether they do or don't, humans are still superior. We...built...cars...roads...and petrol stations. With this we are able to pretty much travel almost everywhere on the Earth, more than I can say for some dumb chimp.

Exactly, and I bet the monkey wasn't out doing shots until 4 in the morning the night before like the college students were.

Violent2Dope
Chimps overall may have better short-term memory, but overall, human beings are more intelligent.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by tabby999
Exactly, and I bet the monkey wasn't out doing shots until 4 in the morning the night before like the college students were.

Maybe the chimp was out doing bananas all night. Lots of potassium it's good for the body.

Zeal Ex Nihilo

'No, mate, no.'

or..

discuss
Link, please.

Also, this is one of the few threads that you've started that isn't moronic. You may have a cookie.

B.A
I think his species prefer bananas.

SelphieT

'No, mate, no.'

or..

discuss

I saw this on the news. When the chimps finished the activity correctly, they were given a peanut.

Now answer me this, when the college students were asked to do this, were they rewarded with a peanut? Hmm?

chithappens
Whether they do or don't, humans are still superior. We...built...cars...roads...and petrol stations. With this we are able to pretty much travel almost everywhere on the Earth, more than I can say for some dumb chimp.

YOU, haven't done shit. Some other guy did all of that.

laughing Funny how people say stuff like "we" when taking credit for something another person did.

Bicnarok

All of which is damaging our ecosystem, who is truly more intelligent?

chillmeistergen
Well, we are.

Shakyamunison
'Think you're smarter than a fifth-grader? How about a 5-year-old chimp? Japanese researchers pitted young chimps against human adults in tests of short-term memory, and overall, the chimps won. That challenges the belief of many people, including many scientists, that "humans are superior to chimpanzees in all cognitive functions," said researcher Tetsuro Matsuzawa of Kyoto University.'...

This goes to show we did not evolve from chimps.

Once you think you are superior, you will always be shown to be the fool.

dadudemon

Robtard
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
This goes to show we did not evolve from chimps.

Once you think you are superior, you will always be shown to be the fool.

I don't think any intelligent persons believes we evolved from chimps.

"We" are superior to chimps, in terms of intelligence, that is a fact; it has nothing to do with thinking it, it just is.

Deano
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Chimps overall may have better short-term memory, but overall, human beings are more intelligent.

look around the planet. look at all the shit thats going on. as a race we cant even get along. hardly intelligent.

Shakyamunison
I don't think any intelligent persons believes we evolved from chimps.

I can't disagree with that statement.

"We" are superior to chimps, in terms of intelligence, that is a fact; it has nothing to do with thinking it, it just is.

It is yet to be seen, if we are truly more intelligent. If we destroy our own world and go extinct, is that intelligence?

It all depends on how you define superior and over what time period. All animals are superior enough to survive. Humans making cars doesn't matter to nature.

Robtard
look around the planet. look at all the shit thats going on. as a race we cant even get along. hardly intelligent.

LOL... You know, animals don't "get along" with each other either, so I doubt that concept is grounds for judging intelligence.

Robtard
I can't disagree with that statement.

It is yet to be seen, if we are truly more intelligent. If we destroy our own world and go extinct, is that intelligence?

It all depends on how you define superior and over what time period. All animals are superior enough to survive. Humans making cars doesn't matter to nature.

No, it's a fact that we are. Just because "we" do stupid shit, doesn't mean we're not intelligent and/or less intelligent than animals. Other factors have to be equated into it.

No, not all animals are "superior" enough to survive (that is adapt), 95+% of every creature (that we know of) that has lived on this planer, is extinct. Arguably, are higher brains, will allow us to adapt and survive in the future, even if we do continue to pollute this planet as we are.

E.G. If we poison all our water sources, can chimp, ostrich or rat built a water purifying plant? No, we can though. Why? Because of our higher intelligence. Granted, poisoning our water sources would be a stupid move, but like I said, "stupid moves" doesn't necessarily mean a complete lack of intelligence.

Shakyamunison
No, it's a fact that we are. Just because "we" do stupid shit, doesn't mean we're not intelligent and/or less intelligent than animals. Other factors have to be equated into it.

No, not all animals are "superior" enough to survive (that is adapt), 95+% of every creature (that we know of) that has lived on this planer, is extinct. Arguably, are higher brains, will allow us to adapt and survive in the future, even if we do continue to pollute this planet as we are.

E.G. If we poison all our water sources, can chimp, ostrich or rat built a water purifying plant? No, we can though. Why? Because of our higher intelligence. Granted, poisoning our water sources would be a stupid move, but like I said, "stupid moves" doesn't necessarily mean a complete lack of intelligence.

We are animals!

Rats may not be able to build a water purifying plant, but they could evolve into a creature that does.

Robtard
We are animals!

Rats may not be able to build a water purifying plant, but they could evolve into a creature that does.

Yes, but why are you yelling the obvious?

Then they wouldn't really be rats anymore, now would they.

Shakyamunison
Yes, but why are you yelling the obvious?

Then they wouldn't really be rats anymore, now would they.

Because the term superior has a lot of luggage that I disagree with. To put it simply, we are extraordinary animals, but we are not superior.

chillmeistergen
Do you think animals should have the same legal rights as us?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Do you think animals should have the same legal rights as us?

No. However, we should do everything in our power to care for those animals under our charge. Suffering should be avoided.

chithappens
What is up with this whole "we" thing?

Most of us would not survive in the wild. "They" did and then "they" made different sorts of technology. Meanwhile "you" are living all the spoils.

A lot of "us" still live like animals because "we" don't give a damn to help "them."

I just see what is meant to be said but I don't think it holds up

Robtard
Because the term superior has a lot of luggage that I disagree with. To put it simply, we are extraordinary animals, but we are not superior.

In terms of "intelligence", we are; that is the point.

Now if we were talking about physical strength, durability, speed etc. etc. etc., then sure, other animals are superior when compared to us.

Robtard
Originally posted by chithappens
What is up with this whole "we" thing?

Most of us would not survive in the wild. "They" did and then "they" made different sorts of technology. Meanwhile "you" are living all the spoils.

A lot of "us" still live like animals because "we" don't give a damn to help "them."

I just see what is meant to be said but I don't think it holds up

"We" as a species, the royal we. Not personally you and I. Get it now, or does it need further clarification.

chithappens
I understood it the first time.

I'm telling you it is extremely flawed logic. It's like a son taking credit for something his father did. He hasn't done a damn thing. Why expect him to innately do the same thing?

chithappens
Being capable of and actually doing it are totally different.

chillmeistergen
That's an utterly bizarre thing to be annoyed about.

Robtard
I understood it the first time.

I'm telling you it is extremely flawed logic. It's like a son taking credit for something his father did. He hasn't done a damn thing. Why expect him to innately do the same thing?

No, it's not flawed at all. You and I are part of the human species, so when talking about the human species as a whole, "we" is an acceptable term.

That's an utterly bizarre thing to be annoyed about.

Shakyamunison
In terms of "intelligence", we are; that is the point.

Now if we were talking about physical strength, durability, speed etc. etc. etc., then sure, other animals are superior when compared to us.

I understand your point. Even with intelligence there are places that we fall short. The study at the beginning of this thread shows that for some reason chimps have a better short term memory (and I am taking the study at face value). I saw something on this study on TV, and tried to keep up with the chimps. I could not do it. I have a degree, and I could not do it as fast as the chimps. The numbers flashed faster then I could see all of them.

chithappens
No, it's not flawed at all. You and I are part of the human species, so when talking about the human species as a whole, "we" is an acceptable term.

So you are taking the top notch of everything and saying "that is us!"

If a guy can bench press 300 and I can only manage 180, it is what it is. Some can bench 600 but I'm not going to take pride as part of a species because "one" can do that.

In terms of intelligence, things are simply built upon. A theory exist, it is proven true. It is taught to posterity, proven false, and then approved upon.

Einstein, if cloned, would not be the same "genius" without the same circumstances, for example; cloning him would simply give a clone of a person and not the genius one would want to replicate.

It is more complex than you are making it seem.

Some people are better than others at certain things, but it is a fallacy to just take the top of everyone and claim it the collective goal of an entire species.

Robtard
I understand your point. Even with intelligence there are places that we fall short. The study at the beginning of this thread shows that for some reason chimps have a better short term memory (and I am taking the study at face value). I saw something on this study on TV, and tried to keep up with the chimps. I could not do it. I have a degree, and I could not do it as fast as the chimps. The numbers flashed faster then I could see all of them.

All this study shows, is that one chimp can perform better at certain test designed to test short term memory. For the sake of argument, lets just say that chimps as a whole, have greater short term memory than humans. Short term memory is only one aspect of intelligence; it can't be the sole deciding factor of the "who's smarter".

Shakyamunison
All this study shows, is that one chimp can perform better at certain test designed to test short term memory. For the sake of argument, lets just say that chimps as a whole, have greater short term memory than humans. Short term memory is only one aspect of intelligence; it can't be the sole deciding factor of the "who's smarter".

How would you define it?

chillmeistergen

If a guy can bench press 300 and I can only manage 180, it is what it is. Some can bench 600 but I'm not going to take pride as part of a species because "one" can do that.

In terms of intelligence, things are simply built upon. A theory exist, it is proven true. It is taught to posterity, proven false, and then approved upon.

Einstein, if cloned, would not be the same "genius" without the same circumstances, for example; cloning him would simply give a clone of a person and not the genius one would want to replicate.

Some people are better than others at certain things, but it is a fallacy to just take the top of everyone and claim it the collective goal of an entire species.

They're not saying they did it though, are they? The point is that it has been achieved within our species, no one's trying to say that they personally can bench 300, invented the mobile phone or came up with the theory of relativity.

Shakyamunison
They're not saying they did it though, are they? The point is that it has been achieved within our species, no one's trying to say that they personally can bench 300, invented the mobile phone or came up with the theory of relativity.

Well, maybe Al Gore is saying it. laughing

Robtard

Obviously, you didn't get it

No, you shouldn't personally take credit for the guy that can bench 600, while you can only do a measly 180.

But if we were comparing, who can lift more, a human or a chimp, than it's acceptable to say "WE can bench a max of 600, while chimps can bench ###". It goes without saying that the person making that claim isn't taking personal credit for lifting those 600 pounds.

An exact clone of Einstein would still have the physical capabilities to be a genius though. Do you think if you were put in the same circumstances as Einstein, you would have been able to accomplish what he did?

Yes, some people are smarter than others, just as some people are stronger than others, but we're not talking about each individual person or chimp here. Chimps have been shown to excel over trisomy 21 victims in several areas on intelligence, that doesn't make the statement "We're smarter than chimps" untrue though, because "WE" are.

Robtard
How would you define it?

By several factors, memory, deductive abilities, artistic ability, reasoning, problem solving etc. etc. etc.

chithappens
But doesn't the fact that a chimp is capable of doing some mental things better than some humans account for something; I'm saying it's not universal or definite amongst all people.

Shakyamunison
By several factors, memory, deductive abilities, artistic ability, reasoning, problem solving etc. etc. etc.

But this is arbitrary. Why are those traits more superior then others?

Robtard
But doesn't the fact that a chimp is capable of doing some mental things better than some humans account for something; I'm saying it's not universal or definite amongst all people.

It just means that a chimp is better at certain factors (in this case short term memory, possibly), still doesn't make the statement "we're smarter than chimps" incorrect.

Put the same 50 peice banana puzzle in front of a chimp and a 6 year old, the child will be able to associate and reason it together, the chimp will not.

Robtard
But this is arbitrary. Why are those traits more superior then others?

Because those are some of the traits in how intelligence is measured; that's what we're talking about. Being able to climb a tree in 5 seconds, isn't.

Shakyamunison
Because those are some of the traits in how intelligence is measured; that's what we're talking about. Being able to climb a tree in 5 seconds, isn't.

Yes, and we have stacked the question in our favor. We once thought we were the only tool maker, and now we know that is not true. Maybe the same is true here; we are really not more intelligent, but they are just differently intelligent.

Robtard
Yes, and we have stacked the question in our favor. We once thought we were the only tool maker, and now we know that is not true. Maybe the same is true here; we are really not more intelligent, but they are just differently intelligent.

Yes, chimps use sticks to gather ants and termites, crows use rocks to crack eggs open, etc. etc. etc., that proves that animals do have intelligence; that isn't the issue though. No one is saying "chimps aren't intelligent", but chimps are not more intelligent than us.

Shakyamunison
Yes, chimps you sticks to gather ants and termites, crows use rocks to crack eggs open, etc. etc. etc., that proves that animals do have intelligence, that isn't the issue though. No one is saying "chimps aren't intelligent", but chimps are not more intelligent than us.

But I have no problem with "more intelligent"; I have a problem with "superior". More intelligence, in the way you defined it, does not equate to superior to me.

chithappens
It just means that a chimp is better at certain factors (in this case short term memory, possibly), still doesn't make the statement "we're smarter than chimps" incorrect.

Put the same 50 peice banana puzzle in front of a chimp and a 6 year old, the child will be able to associate and reason it together, the chimp will not.

Piaget discusses things about cognitive reasoning and how people develop; just look into it.

An exact clone of Einstein would still have the physical capabilities to be a genius though. Do you think if you were put in the same circumstances as Einstein, you would have been able to accomplish what he did?

What do "physical" anythings have to do with being a genius of science? Do you mean physical make-up of a person?

No telling simply because it would have to be the "exact" same thing. Unless you want to produce a real life Truman show, we will never know

Robtard
Piaget discusses things about cognitive reasoning and how people develop; just look into it.

What do "physical" anythings have to do with being a genius of science? Do you mean physical make-up of a person?

No telling simply because it would have to be the "exact" same thing. Unless you want to produce a real life Truman show, we will never know

What does that have to do with humans being more intelligent than chimps?

Physical make-up of a person's brain/mind. Take the mind of a genius (eg Einstein), the mind of your average Joe and the mind of Down Syndrome sufferer. There are physical difference in the mind; those physical differences are directly related to overall intelligence and maximum potential

You didn't answer my question, if you had the same outside influences/experiences, could you have accomplished what Einstein did? Are all minds created equal, and outside influence is the sole determining factor is ones capabilties?

Edit: Look up "Srinivasa Ramanujan", too see my point.

chithappens
All people need nurturing in different areas and resources in front of them to accomplish whatever.

We are all capable of achieving the same thing.

Robtard
All people need nurturing in different areas and resources in front of them to accomplish whatever.

We are all capable of achieving the same thing.

In that case, what would it take for you to become one of the greatest mathematical genius?

Did you look up Ramanujan?

chithappens
Not yet. I'm multi-tasking: revising short stories and poetry, doing stuff on Facebook, and talking to a friend. I will give it my full attention later.

Far as the math genius: I don't think there is a template. But it has to be encouraged and the resources have to be there

chillmeistergen
But I have no problem with "more intelligent"; I have a problem with "superior". More intelligence, in the way you defined it, does not equate to superior to me.

Personally, I find the fact that I don't throw around my own shit, masturbate in public, kill my fellow species - makes me more superior than a chimp.

Robtard
Not yet. I'm multi-tasking: revising short stories and poetry, doing stuff on Facebook, and talking to a friend. I will give it my full attention later.

Far as the math genius: I don't think there is a template. But it has to be encouraged and the resources have to be there

Point is, not everyone is created equal in terms of intelligence/ability. No matter how hard I work or study, I know I don't have it in me to accomplished what a genius of mathematics can. Their minds work differently, they "see" numbers and equations differently than I do. Granted, I am not bad at math, but I am no true genius in the subject.

Same can be said about artistic ability, writing, invention etc. etc. etc., people are born with different capabilities.

Shakyamunison
Personally, I find the fact that I don't throw around my own shit, masturbate in public, kill my fellow species - makes me more superior than a chimp.

Sounds like my cousin. laughing

chithappens
Point is, not everyone is created equal in terms of intelligence/ability. No matter how hard I work or study, I know I don't have it in me to accomplished what a genius of mathematics can. Their minds work differently, they "see" numbers and equations differently than I do. Granted, I am not bad at math, but I am no true genius in the subject.

Same can be said about artistic ability, writing, invention etc. etc. etc., people are born with different capabilities.

I'm not sure that is true. It's hard to prove anything like that for a fact.

Robtard
I'm not sure that is true. It's hard to prove anything like that for a fact.

So then I ask you again, what's stopping an intelligent man like yourself from excelling about and beyond in mathematics or any one or more fields?

chithappens
Sigh, this is going to sound like such an ass thing to say but I seriously would have been able to do so.

I excelled in academics early on but my parents gave me the choice on if I wanted to skip grade school or not. I chose not to.

My parents both have a college education. My mother has a masters degree in nursing and bachelor in advertising; my dad an ivy league education from cornell (mechanical engineering and B.A.). I was fortunate.

I hated showcase my talents because people suck ur dick too much about the things you find easy.

But that was just my experience.

Robtard
Sigh, this is going to sound like such an ass thing to say but I seriously would have been able to do so.

I excelled in academics early on but my parents gave me the choice on if I wanted to skip grade school or not. I chose not to.

My parents both have a college education. My mother has a masters degree in nursing and bachelor in advertising; my dad an ivy league education from cornell (mechanical engineering and B.A.). I was fortunate.

I hated showcase my talents because people suck ur dick too much about the things you find easy.

I didn't ask how smart you were, I asked why haven't you excelled above and beyond in one or more fields, "made your mark" so to speak, if we're all born with the same capabilities. Also, by stating that you have had a better opportunity to excel, why haven't you excelled above all others, as 'not having the opportunity' wouldn't apply to you.

"I didn't want to show off", isn't an excuse.

WrathfulDwarf
Anyone else thinks this chimp just debunked the Infinite monkey theorem?

Robtard
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Anyone else thinks this chimp just debunked the Infinite monkey theorem?

The type-writer pounding and re-creating the entire work of Shakesphere thing? No, because it technically could be possible given an infinate amount of time, it's just not probable considering the preciseness.

WrathfulDwarf
See, I was thinking that if that if this monkey have such a good memory. Wouldn't that imply that he already be aware that he is repeating the same pounding again and again. Wouldn't then he be able to reason and eventually learn how to use the type writer rather than just pound it?

Let's test it! Put the monkey on a keyword. Give him 50 years and if he can come out with "To be Or not to be" I'll buy you a cherry coke.

chithappens

Bardock42

Yeah, we all have those little things, don't we?

RedAlertv2
Thread title made it sound like a chimp beat up some college kids. Needless to say, Im disappointed this isnt the case.

dadudemon
This discussion is really far off. Why the hell are we discussing whether or not chimps are intellectually better than humans?(as a whole)

Look, I saw the same test the Chimps were doing on TV...I would smoke the shit out of those Chimps and put them to shame...anyone of them...I would also do that to most humans...I think really really fast...on the same token, I have a hard time studying for more than 10 minutes..............................................................sad

Does anyone realize that the Chimps had to practice that game a lot before they got the hang of it so that the study could actually be done? Does anyone else realize that the Chimps were rewarded as a means of motivation...were the humans rewarded with something as equally pleasing as the Chimps were? Does anyone else realize that some chimps were not chosen for the study because they simply would not do it right or participate. (That happens with many "mind" studies...some chimps simply can't get it or focus at all to be of any use for lab testing.)Does anyone realize that these Chimps were therefore conditioned and more "prepared" than the humans were? Does everyone also realize that most of the humans tested, IF given just as much time to practice the little game, would be much better than the Chimps at the same memory "game"?(On average, of course.) This is why the study is flawed...it is just a stupid way for animal activists and tree loving hippies to show how un-superior humans are intellectually relative to other animals.

I don't know what movie this is from but, "You can make any study show what you want it to." (Or something like that...it was from that movie about the speaker who represents a tobacco company/s and he is really good at arguing things.)

chillmeistergen
Another genius enters the thread. You and chit should get together, I'm sure with his amazing mathematics ability and your quick thinking, you'll either come up with a conclusive theory on the meaning of life, or be some sort of vigilante team. Just make sure your heads don't get too big before then though, they may slow you down when you're flying.

Rogue Jedi
maybe they can figure out what makes a person considerate?

Quiero Mota
The title of this thread gave me the image of a lab monkey physically beating some university student after getting out of its cage.

dadudemon
Another genius enters the thread. You and chit should get together, I'm sure with his amazing mathematics ability and your quick thinking, you'll either come up with a conclusive theory on the meaning of life, or be some sort of vigilante team. Just make sure your heads don't get too big before then though, they may slow you down when you're flying.

WTF dude? I admitted both a mental strength and weakness in the same thought.

Is there anything wrong with that? Is it really hard to believe that I havee intellectual strengths and weaknesses?

Some people are great at drawing...some people are great at math...some people are great at thinking fast...WTF dude? You mean to tell me that you have no weaknesses and no strengths and you are just perfectly well rounded intellectually?

Why do you have to be an ass like that?

And where the hell did this "vigilante team" shit come from? It sounded really nice when you were saying it to yourself...didn't it? roll eyes (sarcastic)

And shouldn't your ass be in bed? It is so late over there that it is early....wait...you get up at 7 or so....

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
The title of this thread gave me the image of a lab monkey physically beating some university student after getting out of its cage. Every which way but loose? laughing

Sadako of Girth
"Right turn, Clyde...!"

Rogue Jedi
You damn monkey ate all my oreos!!!

Sadako of Girth
laughing out loud

"Clyde.... Scrap the Caddy...."

stick out tongue

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon

Not really, you said you think really fast and then admitted to a trait many geniuses have not to be able to concentrate on one topic for a long time. It was a good trade for you.

On a general note I really hate when people bring up how smart they are supposed to be, it's just really low, in my opinion.

chithappens
Originally posted by Bardock42

On a general note I really hate when people bring up how smart they are supposed to be, it's just really low, in my opinion.

The thing is if a person is speaking about their attributes, no matter how objective they try to present it, it will be called an ******* move.

Now if another person praises someone who is generally well-received (even if not earned) if it is just taken as is.

No way around it really. *shrug*

Blax_Hydralisk
I think they just don't like he idea of a black man being a "well rounded individual" super13

Well, Bardok doesn't anyway ermm

Bardock42
The thing is if a person is speaking about their attributes, no matter how objective they try to present it, it will be called an ******* move.

Now if another person praises someone who is generally well-received (even if not earned) if it is just taken as is.

No way around it really. *shrug* Because then it is not an arrogant move. It's basically never really necessary to brag about your attributes....even if you do it objectively it will just appear stupid. If someone else praises you he's often considered a suck up, but it is likely to be more objective and it doesn't seem too slimy.

So, what I mean, you don't need to bring your own stats in really, if you have the intelligence the right people would detect it anyways. And it didn't really prove much of a point.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
I think they just don't like he idea of a black man being a "well rounded individual" super13

Well, Bardok doesn't anyway ermm That's cause ******* should be all rounded up and hanged with a fork up their ass.

O-or I was mainly referring to dadudemon.

Sadako of Girth
Bardock=Kramer of a sudden. sad

wink

chithappens
I only brought it up to speak of a specific example of an indiviudual.

I don't know anyone's biography that is not a celebrity or praised hero unfortunately... yea, that's not normal.

Robtard

Sorry, that isn't an excuse, it's a cop-out. "I have the cranial capacity to find the cure for HIV/AIDS; I just don't want to show off."

Anyhow, let me ask you a question based on a hypothetical.

If we (the royal we) gathered 1,000 babies from all around the world, who were all born on the same day and they were all raised exactly the same nurturing wise, they were all given the same topnotch educations in the varied academics (mathematics, biology, arts, music etc).

Do you think they would all perform the same by age 10-15-20, or do you think some would excel in math, while others while some excelled in music etc. etc. etc.?

chillmeistergen

Is there anything wrong with that? Is it really hard to believe that I havee intellectual strengths and weaknesses?

Some people are great at drawing...some people are great at math...some people are great at thinking fast...WTF dude? You mean to tell me that you have no weaknesses and no strengths and you are just perfectly well rounded intellectually?

Why do you have to be an ass like that?

And where the hell did this "vigilante team" shit come from? It sounded really nice when you were saying it to yourself...didn't it? roll eyes (sarcastic)

And shouldn't your ass be in bed? It is so late over there that it is early....wait...you get up at 7 or so....

Aren't you the same person who said that people should be able to take a joke? Anyway, there really is no need to come into a discussion and tell everyone how intelligent you are. As Bardock has already said, if you are that intelligent, people will already know.

Yeah, I do have strengths and weaknesses, though I don't need to broadcast them.

I'm a student who has to travel for miles to get to college, so yes, when necessary I am up at 7.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Is it just my imagination, or is Deano one of the dumbest posters on KMC?

Robtard
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Is it just my imagination, or is Deano one of the dumbest posters on KMC?

"Lizard people", dude, "LIZARD people".

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Well, I'm trying to have a reasonable debate with him in another thread, but he keeps piling fail onto his posts, so it's hard to do.

Robtard
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Well, I'm trying to have a reasonable debate with him in another thread, but he keeps piling fail onto his posts, so it's hard to do.

"Lizard people", dude, "LIZARD people".

Rogue Jedi
sticks and stones.

chithappens
Sorry, that isn't an excuse, it's a cop-out. "I have the cranial capacity to find the cure for HIV/AIDS; I just don't want to show off."

Anyhow, let me ask you a question based on a hypothetical.

If we (the royal we) gathered 1,000 babies from all around the world, who were all born on the same day and they were all raised exactly the same nurturing wise, they were all given the same topnotch educations in the varied academics (mathematics, biology, arts, music etc).

Do you think they would all perform the same by age 10-15-20, or do you think some would excel in math, while others while some excelled in music etc. etc. etc.?

You made my point yourself. Take the same people and place them in areas where you do not nurture their "innate talent" and will they "excel?"

I don't give a **** what you guys think of me. This is not a resume for me to show off accolades. I offered an example because MY ARGUMENT WAS THAT IT IS A PERSONAL THING AND YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE SITUATION SPECIFIC. It is the small things that make the difference and it is impossible to simulate the "exactt, same" things for any two children. Just from basic point of view from visually seeing something, things can turn out very different. No factor is an absolute that can determine how a person will turn out.

I did not feel like naming some well known person who someone would just be like "but I also heard he recieved a distingiushed degree from Wales and then he traveled every corner of the world..." Plus, the biographies of people are often falsified. I did not feel like debunking stupid crap.

Robtard
You made my point yourself. Take the same people and place them in areas where you do not nurture their "innate talent" and will they "excel?"

I don't give a **** what you guys think of me. This is not a resume for me to show off accolades. I offered an example because MY ARGUMENT WAS THAT IT IS A PERSONAL THING AND YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE SITUATION SPECIFIC. It is the small things that make the difference and it is impossible to simulate the "exactt, same" things for any two children. Just from basic point of view from visually seeing something, things can turn out very different. No factor is an absolute that can determine how a person will turn out.

I did not feel like naming some well known person who someone would just be like "but I also heard he recieved a distingiushed degree from Wales and then he traveled every corner of the world..." Plus, the biographies of people are often falsified. I did not feel like debunking stupid crap.

Yes, in fact, they could... did you read up on Ramanujan?

Point it, it has to be there in the first place, if it isn't, no amount of "nurturing" will make it magically appear, sure, an area can be improved upon, but you don't "make" a genius, you allow a genius to become.

So, care to answer my question on the hypothetical with a straight answer?

dadudemon
Aren't you the same person who said that people should be able to take a joke? Anyway, there really is no need to come into a discussion and tell everyone how intelligent you are. As Bardock has already said, if you are that intelligent, people will already know.

Yeah, I do have strengths and weaknesses, though I don't need to broadcast them.

I'm a student who has to travel for miles to get to college, so yes, when necessary I am up at 7.

No, dude, that was not meant as humor and you know that. That was a direct attack at me. Thinking fast and having a shitty attention span is hardly bragging...they go hand in hand, in my situation. I can't help it or change it; it is what it is...I look at it like someone being really tall or someone having abnormally large feet. If I said I wore a size 15 shoe at a height of 5'10", you wouldn't have batted an eye.

To be honest, if someone else would have said that, I wouldn't have really cared....and I don't mean that negatively.

Not really, you said you think really fast and then admitted to a trait many geniuses have not to be able to concentrate on one topic for a long time. It was a good trade for you.

Yeah, where did you hear that? I have never heard that about genius's...in fact, i read and heard the exact opposite. Most praised for having genius are those who concentrate and work on something for an ungodly amount of time...bordering and crossing over into insanity sometimes. You will never catch me doing that. big grin (I'm already insane. teehee)

I think really really fast...I was born this way...deal with it and stop moaning. smokin'

Now why doesn't anyone address my post about the way the test was setup. At least someone disagree or agree with me. I posted on topic...address my post.

chillmeistergen
No, dude, that was not meant as humor and you know that. That was a direct attack at me. Thinking fast and having a shitty attention span is hardly bragging...they go hand in hand, in my situation. I can't help it or change it; it is what it is...I look at it like someone being really tall or someone having abnormally large feet. If I said I wore a size 15 shoe at a height of 5'10", you wouldn't have batted an eye.

Well, it wasn't really an attack, it was a view on the arrogant way you presented yourself. Having a certain size of feet isn't something that people are going to marvel at, a certain size of intellect obviously is. If you didn't post it for us to marvel at, then why did you?

To be honest, if someone else would have said that, I wouldn't have really cared....and I don't mean that negatively.

How do you mean it?

dadudemon
Well, it wasn't really an attack, it was a view on the arrogant way you presented yourself. Having a certain size of feet isn't something that people are going to marvel at, a certain size of intellect obviously is. If you didn't post it for us to marvel at, then why did you?

I don't equate swift thinking to intellect...that rarely helps on a test...it really only helps in sports and video games. Rather useless if you ask me...but if everyone here thinks it is a very positive thing..."walk in my shoes a few miles" and lets see how much of an intellectual advantage it really is. I said it because it* is...

1. A virtually useless measurement of cognitive ability.
2. A very useless way to compare cognitive abilities between humans and chimps.
3. To prove that having super quick thinking is useless in the long run anyway.

I more than proved those points...especially # 3. But everyone is so quick to point it out as arrogance because of their own insecurities.

Sometimes, I get so frustrated from not being able to concentrate when I am studying that I well up with tears.

*"it" being the quickness in which the humans or the chimps responded with their answers on the "test".

How do you mean it?

Simple,

I like you and respect your opinions...so when you say hurtful things to me and mean them, it hurts even if just a litt.e. Just because I have big pecs doesn't mean that I can be sensitive. (Here we go again....yes, I have big pecs compared other humans...I worked hard for them...call that arrogance all you want...)

Robtard

Now why doesn't anyone address my post about the way the test was setup. At least someone disagree or agree with me. I posted on topic...address my post.

Because only a chimp, would debate that 'chimps are more intelligent than humans'? Oh wait...

I don't equate swift thinking to intellect...that rarely helps on a test...it really only helps in sports and video games. Rather useless if you ask me...but if everyone here thinks it is a very positive thing..."walk in my shoes a few miles" and lets see how much of an intellectual advantage it really is. I said it because it* is...

True... but be honest, you have on more than one occasion, alluded to having uber intelligence.

I like you and respect your opinions...so when you say hurtful things to me and mean them, it hurts even if just a litt.e. Just because I have big pecs doesn't mean that I can be sensitive. (Here we go again....yes, I have big pecs compared other humans...I worked hard for them...call that arrogance all you want...)

Put on a pretty dress, and he might ask you out, you ****ing Mary.

So, how much can you bench with those big pecs?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
LAWL.

Bardock42

Yeah, where did you hear that? I have never heard that about genius's...in fact, i read and heard the exact opposite. Most praised for having genius are those who concentrate and work on something for an ungodly amount of time...bordering and crossing over into insanity sometimes. You will never catch me doing that. big grin (I'm already insane. teehee)

Yeah, yeah, you feel better with being really smart and intelligent and just missing disciplie. That's a trade that works for you.

I think really really fast...I was born this way...deal with it and stop moaning. smokin'

But the problem is I can see that you are just not. I can read what you write and notice that it is not what an overly intelligent person would say.

You telling everyone time and time again that you are super intelligent, doesn't really matter if I can observe that you are more mediocre than anything.

chithappens

But the problem is I can see that you are just not. I can read what you write and notice that it is not what an overly intelligent person would say.

You telling everyone time and time again that you are super intelligent, doesn't really matter if I can observe that you are more mediocre than anything.

... That is by far the most arrogant thing said thus far. How does anyone determine was an "overly intelligent" person might say?

As Muhammad Ali said, "A genius can play a clown, but a clown can't play a genius."

Bardock42
... That is by far the most arrogant thing said thus far. How does anyone determine was an "overly intelligent" person might say?

Totally subjective obviously. And I am likely arrogant, I rely on my instincts when judging other people's intelligence, and I doubt it is much of a surprise that I think of myself as very intelligent. The difference though is that I don't bring it in a conversation as argument. I prefer to lie on logical arguments and not "I am smarter than you, therefore abortion is wrong". But, all in all, I am a pretty awesome guy anyways, thanks for noticing.

inimalist
Working memory, or short term memory, in actuality is a series of potentially thousands of individual memory systems that in some cases work with each other to create other memory (visual spatial memory works with iconic memory mediated by general working memory). All in all, saying something has more working memory than another carries very little actual information.

However, I get the feeling that the task is a puzzle one from the comments, so it is testing a specific type of working memory. Namely, the spatial.

I can't think of a single reason why a chimp having greater spatial memory would lead it to being considered more intelligent (given the scientific definition of intelligence which people hate to use, or even the flowery definition people want to use) than a human. I don't remember off hand, though I believe spatial memory like this comes from the parietal cortex. It may be something as simple as some of our higher cognitive functions, like language, may have taken some of the neural architecture that, in chimps, is responsible for a higher capacity for information in Spatial working memory.

dadudemon

Bardock42
I would answer your points, but they are so extremely stupid I just can't bring myself to do it in an elaborate manner. So just take this "You are wrong" and go your way.

Though, why are you so incredibly fixed on IQs? It's not even that accurate of a way to measure intelligence. Shouldn't assume, that everyone means IQ, when they say Intelligence.

dadudemon
I would answer your points, but they are so extremely stupid I just can't bring myself to do it in an elaborate manner. So just take this "You are wrong" and go your way.

Though, why are you so incredibly fixed on IQs? It's not even that accurate of a way to measure intelligence. Shouldn't assume, that everyone means IQ, when they say Intelligence.

Where RJ when I need him...that was a major cop out and you know it.

I DO NOT KEEP BRINGING IT UP....you do.

An IQ IS an very efficient way of measuring ones intelligence. It is not perfect but it is accurate. Why wouldn't IQ be brought up when someone talks about intelligence in humans? DUH!!! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bardock42
Where RJ when I need him...that was a major cop out and you know it.

I DO NOT KEEP BRINGING IT UP....you do.

An IQ IS an very efficient way of measuring ones intelligence. It is not perfect but it is accurate. Why wouldn't IQ be brought up when someone talks about intelligence in humans? DUH!!! roll eyes (sarcastic) Because you bring it up, but pretend that I did, which I never did. Your way of argumentation is idiotic.

I think you aren't intelligent, not based on you doing good on IQ tests, but having stupid opinions, being unable to provide good reasoning, failing to understand simple concept, missing points, etc.

lord xyz
YOU, haven't done shit. Some other guy did all of that.

laughing Funny how people say stuff like "we" when taking credit for something another person did. I've been typing complex sentences on the computer for 2 years. More than I can say for some dumb chimp.

Bardock42
I've been typing complex sentences on the computer for 2 years. More than I can say for some dumb chimp. Hahahahahaha. You have been typing sentences.

That's it.

Devil King
I've been typing complex sentences on the computer for 2 years. More than I can say for some dumb chimp.

Have you ever been to space?

dadudemon
Because you bring it up, but pretend that I did, which I never did. Your way of argumentation is idiotic.

I think you aren't intelligent, not based on you doing good on IQ tests, but having stupid opinions, being unable to provide good reasoning, failing to understand simple concept, missing points, etc.

1. Proof?

2. Stupid opinions? Like what? That being obese is unhealthy? That the BMI scale is not useless? That the IQ test is not useless? That physicists use "god" in their official papers sometimes? That pure Communism can never work for humans? That I argued with my parents as a child and talked circles around their logic? These are some of the things we have talked about that you did not like my opinions on. Again, you have to deal with it. I am entitled to my opinions...

Good reasoning...like what? Nothing comes to mind...I always provide excellent reasoning. Provide specific examples unless of course...you are just being negative just for the sake of being negative.

I did miss inimilist's point about people making polar assessments on homosexuality when he referred to it as a "0/1 type"...I have never heard something referred to like that before...I could only assume it was psychological jargon he was using so I asked for clarification...you know, something people do when they are not insecure or have a big ego and can actually stop and ask for directions. eek!

You are the one coming off as arrogant...if you are going to make the claims, then provide irrefutable proof and I will drink my warm cup of stfu.

Also.....make sure that this goes to PM's...unless of course you want to actually provide proof...cause then you would want that to be here for everyone to see.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Devil King
Have you ever been to space?

Has a Chimp ever successfully used "Myspace"?

Has a human ever been to space? Therefore the implications of your statement do not work in this instance...unless of course I missed your point...

Robtard
Has a Chimp ever successfully used "Myspace"?

Has a human ever been to space? Therefore the implications of your statement do not work in this instance...unless of course I missed your point...

You did miss his point, genius.

Bardock42
1. Proof?

Quote:

"I DO NOT KEEP BRINGING IT UP....you do. "

"So how does a high IQ equate to discussing a chimps intelligence as compared to another human?"

Blah

As I told you I instinctively decide whether I find someone intelligent or not. I admitted arrogance. And I could probably go back and look at your posts to point out why I think you are of average intelligence at best, but I won't, cause it bores me and was never my point. THe way you grossly misunderstood everything I said in this thread though is a clear indicator, I never intended to prove that you are an idiot nor said that I would do so, I didn't disagree nor agree with your initial post, in fact I haven't read it, yet you constantly ask how my arguments on a total different topic disprove yours in said post, which is ridiculous. If you can't keep to what a person says what is the point, you make assumptions and argue on tangents, which I never said anything about. So, sorry, if I don't reply to you point by point, it is very hard since half the things you say have no basis whatsoever in the actual conversation that has been going on between us.

dadudemon
You did miss his point, genius.

I really don't think so until he defines his point. I think you missed my point about his point.

Continuing with his point...similar questions could be asked to either validate or invalidate his point.

Have any other animals been sent to space? Who sent those animals into space? Were they sent there before humans were? Why did they go to space in the first place?

Quote:

"I DO NOT KEEP BRINGING IT UP....you do. "

"So how does a high IQ equate to discussing a chimps intelligence as compared to another human?"

Wrong...again, as usual. YOU keep bringing up that I claim to be super intelligent. That was the point be discussed you should have been able to derive that from my post/s. Sure I mentioned intelligence when people were discussing intelligence of Chimps relative to humans...but I didn't bring it up THAT"S WHAT THE FRIGGIN' THREAD IS ABOUT!!! laughing laughing roll eyes (sarcastic)

YOU brought up my intelligence....I did not. Go ahead, show me proof where I brought how intelligent I am all these many times that you believe in...go ahead. smile

As I told you I instinctively decide whether I find someone intelligent or not. I admitted arrogance. And I could probably go back and look at your posts to point out why I think you are of average intelligence at best, but I won't, cause it bores me and was never my point. THe way you grossly misunderstood everything I said in this thread though is a clear indicator, I never intended to prove that you are an idiot nor said that I would do so, I didn't disagree nor agree with your initial post, in fact I haven't read it, yet you constantly ask how my arguments on a total different topic disprove yours in said post, which is ridiculous. If you can't keep to what a person says what is the point, you make assumptions and argue on tangents, which I never said anything about. So, sorry, if I don't reply to you point by point, it is very hard since half the things you say have no basis whatsoever in the actual conversation that has been going on between us.

Totally and utterly ridiculously wrong. You are refusing to debate my points because you can't debate them. You know you are wrong about most of the points you were originally trying to make. You are trying to accuse me of being like Czarina but it isn't working...more like you are just avoiding addressing my valid points because just about anything you post about those will end up in you failing at it. (I am not saying that to be arrogant because I made really good points, I am saying that because you made really bad points and I countered those points that you now refuse to address....and you accuse RJ of doing that....what is the word for that....hmmm...hmm.)

Tangents? What the hell dude, you are really reaching now. Are you that bored? If they had no basis in the conversation we have been having...then why did I bring up specific examples of the past? Oh wait...you have been referencing the past in just about all your posts in our conversation here.

lord xyz
Hahahahahaha. You have been typing sentences.

That's it. No, that's not it, obviously.

Originally posted by Devil King
Have you ever been to space? No. But other humans have.

Bardock42
Blah

I don't derive any pleasure from arguing with you, I refer you to my previous post.

dadudemon
I don't derive any pleasure from arguing with you, I refer you to my previous post.

Yes you do. You derive pleasure from nit picking everyone about anything...you just failed this time around with me so you are throwing in the towel. It is okay, I won't hold it against you, I still like you. And please, continue to nit pick away; I like it.

Back to on topic, can someone, anyone, address my original point about the test being flawed to begin with?

Bardock42
Yes you do. You derive pleasure from nit picking everyone about anything...you just failed this time around with me so you are throwing in the towel. It is okay, I won't hold it against you, I still like you. And please, continue to nit pick away; I like it.

Nah. You talked about a few unrelated topics, I pointed it out, you continue, I am bored. You write too lengthy for me to be interested in showing you just how stupid you are.

dadudemon
Nah. You talked about a few unrelated topics, I pointed it out, you continue, I am bored. You write too lengthy for me to be interested in showing you just how stupid you are.

Suuuuuure.... wink

Robtard
I really don't think so until he defines his point. I think you missed my point about his point.

Continuing with his point...similar questions could be asked to either validate or invalidate his point.

Have any other animals been sent to space? Who sent those animals into space? Were they sent there before humans were? Why did they go to space in the first place?

Believe me, you did... he was poking fun at XYZ and making a joke about XYZ personally not being smarter than a chimp, simply because he car write a complete sentence, he wasn't being serious and talking about humans as a whole. Capiche?

So, everything else you said was pointless, since you clearly missed his point from the start, genius.

dadudemon
Believe me, you did... he was poking fun at XYZ and making a joke about XYZ personally not being smarter than a chimp, simply because he car write a complete sentence, he wasn't being serious and talking about humans as a whole. Capiche?

So, everything else you said was pointless, since you clearly missed his point from the start, genius.

it was obvious that he was making fun of him...that was never a question in this little thingie here about him belittling xyz...my question were his intentions behind making fun of him and that was what I was questioning...maybe I was reading into too much...

also, how do you know that is what he meant? how can you be sure? what if Devil King made a mistake and didn't logically think about the insult...maybe he just wanted to say that some chimps have been to space and they are a lesser mind so that means by xyz's logic that most to all humans should be able to go to space(In other words, making fun of xyz's logic.), ...that was my original logic....I was thinking that Devil King didn't realize that thos chimps were sent into space as preparatory testing because NASA puts more value on a human life...meaning that NASA thinks lesser of chimps than humans...etc.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.