Spiderman speed. Holding back?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

B.A
This is not a spite or calling out seeing as me and Hammer are debating it friendly.

What do people think when it comes to Spidermans speed. Does he hold back? I think yes, he says no.

What do you think?

Um mods can you add a poll. Lasting forever and 2 options.

Spiderman holds back almost all the time in fights.

And

Spiderman never holds back in his fights.

Badabing
I don't have the scans at hand but Spidey does hold back and it's been stated on panel. I'll see if I can find the newest issue where it's stated.

Edit: Digi or Nino may have the scans.

Battlehammer
yes spiderman does hold back at times. Though I think it rediculous to assume he holdign back verse DD. when spiderman has literrally been mind controlled/ tricked into fighting DD all out and still been having trouble hitting him

B.A
A mind controlled Cap has beaten Namor.

If Namor was really going all out he should have stomped Cap.

Battlehammer
that was becuases capt hit the mind control which KO namor. spiderman was tricked not actaully being mind controlled.

also according to your logic. That would mean both capt america and wolverine hold back there speed when they fight as well.

B.A
Not really seeing as both are not as fast as Spiderman.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by B.A
Not really seeing as both are not as fast as Spiderman.
actaully given your logic they would be.

you said spidermans been stated to whole back because he kill people correct?

Logan and capt have stated the same thing

so given your logic they hold back there speed as well.

There not as fast? That pritty debatable actaully. There feats are quite comparable.

B.A
Not really.

Superman holds back strength. So does Spiderman. Using that logic they are equals. Bad example I know but you see where I am coming from.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by B.A
Not really.

Superman holds back strength. So does Spiderman. Using that logic they are equals. Bad example I know but you see where I am coming from.

umm your example has nothing to do with what were talking about.

You say becuases spiderman has stated t hold back means he does almost all the time. That means he hoklding back his speed.

Capt and Logan have both stated to hold back which given your logic means they hold back there speed as well.

your example is of a complete different manner.

B.A
I am not saying they don't hold back. Where did I say that? i wouldn't be surprised.

But the difference is Spiderman then moved to fast for DD to react and one shotted him if I remember. Have to check.

Soljer
Yes, Spiderman holds back his speed. Yes, he does so against Daredevil.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by B.A
I am not saying they don't hold back. Where did I say that? i wouldn't be surprised.

But the difference is Spiderman then moved to fast for DD to react and one shotted him if I remember. Have to check.

yet in every encounter he had toruble hitting DD. Even in encounters were it has spiderman crazy and not holding back

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Soljer
Yes, Spiderman holds back his speed. Yes, he does so against Daredevil.

really I doubt that. I mean DD is argueably as fast as spiderman. yes spiderman a little faster, but not by that much.

DigiMark007
Heroes in general hold back. But all you need to do is look at any showing where he "lets loose" to know that he isn't going 100% all the time.

Generally it follows the following formula:
Spider-Man randomly happens upon a robbery/kinapping/attack/etc. and attempts to break it up. He may or may not, but it is part of a larger scheme. 1-2 non-100% fights with banter and cheeky dialogue while the main villian steals/kinaps/destroys something. An explosion, person in distress, or plot device stops Spidey from pursuing while the villian gets away. The plan comes together, and Pete must stop it from coming to fruition during the "finale". There's about 1-2 pages of not holding back, which usually results in a pwned and humiliated villian. A page or two of exposition wraps it up as the villian is taken to jail, Spidey takes the innocent boy/girl back to their home, goes home and realizes he missed an important {insert event} with Aunt May or MJ, and has some kind of moralizing statement to make about the story.

Scans exist that say he holds back most times. I remember one specifically from the 70's where he's afraid of killing a villian (Mysterio?) so he only uses his wrists to punch rather than swinging with a full arm. But I'm not sure I have any of them scanned into my cpu, and finding them would be a b*tch. DC might have some.

And I can't add a poll to a thread.

...also, there's no argument to be made for Murdock being as fast as Pete. None. And the few fights they've had where Spidey is actually trying, it's over in about a panel. I have no idea what fights he's referring to in the above posts, but there's a couple in my older respect thread where he literally one-shots Matt and DD can't lay a hand on him.

B.A
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Heroes in general hold back. But all you need to do is look at any showing where he "lets loose" to know that he isn't going 100% all the time.

Generally it follows the following formula:
Spider-Man randomly happens upon a robbery/kinapping/attack/etc. and attempts to break it up. He may or may not, but it is part of a larger scheme. 1-2 non-100% fights with banter and cheeky dialogue while the main villian steals/kinaps/destroys something. An explosion, person in distress, or plot device stops Spidey from pursuing while the villian gets away. The plan comes together, and Pete must stop it from coming to fruition during the "finale". There's about 1-2 pages of not holding back, which usually results in a pwned and humiliated villian. A page or two of exposition wraps it up as the villian is taken to jail, Spidey takes the innocent boy/girl back to their home, goes home and realizes he missed an important {insert event} with Aunt May or MJ, and has some kind of moralizing statement to make about the story.

Scans exist that say he holds back most times. I remember one specifically from the 70's where he's afraid of killing a villian (Mysterio?) so he only uses his wrists to punch rather than swinging with a full arm. But I'm not sure I have any of them scanned into my cpu, and finding them would be a b*tch. DC might have some.

And I can't add a poll to a thread. Can't you? Crap, ah well.

Battlehammer
yes so if anything they both be holding back verse one another not simply spiderman.

B.A
Originally posted by Battlehammer
really I doubt that. I mean DD is argueably as fast as spiderman. yes spiderman a little faster, but not by that much. What the f**k?

Spiderman has super speed. Is this the same SPidey we are talking about?

Battlehammer

...also, there's no argument to be made for Murdock being as fast as Pete. None. And the few fights they've had where Spidey is actually trying, it's over in about a panel.

really becauses I just looked at them all........and the shortest fight they had was 3 pages.

There last fight was a complete draw with DD getting up first.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by B.A
What the f**k?

Spiderman has super speed. Is this the same SPidey we are talking about?

......means crap. feats matter not some crappy title. I mean for starters. In speed spiderman done nothing out side of Logans or capts ability.

unless DD slower then they are.

DigiMark007
http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4381fg5.gif

In this fight, Spider-Man thinks DD is someone else, so he isn't holding back. It's one of the few instances (maybe the only one) where we can accurately gauge them in respect to one another because he isn't pulling his punches.

Class 10-15 and pre-cognition >>> peak human and arcrobatic.

B.A
Which he is.

You just said theres no feats that put him above DD.

OK I am done for now. That one comment alone. sick

DigiMark007
http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4381fg5.gif

In this fight, Spider-Man thinks DD is someone else, so he isn't holding back. It's one of the few instances (maybe the only one) where we can accurately gauge them in respect to one another because he isn't pulling his punches.

Class 10-15 and pre-cognition >>> peak human and acrobatic.

Battlehammer
your scann dident work. also they had two intire fights with spiderman not holding back becuases he was either enrage or though DD was a robot.

SuperiorTech
your scann dident work. also they had two intire fights with spiderman not holding back becuases he was either enrage or though DD was a robot.

issue #

Battlehammer
Originally posted by B.A
Which he is.

You just said theres no feats that put him above DD.

OK I am done for now. That one comment alone. sick

Yes there arnt to my knowledge.

I know there arnt for logan or capt.

so if DD was as fast as them then he be as fast a spiderman no?

Battlehammer
Originally posted by SuperiorTech
issue #

DD respect thread first page.

DigiMark007

It works for me, and Spidey owns him in 1 punch that DD is helpless to dodge (and he says so in his own words). So that is about as clear as you can get in terms of on-panel evidence. If you still disagree at this point, I'll just have to chalk it up to stubbornness and leave the thread since I'm obviously not making progress.

B.A
your scann dident work. also they had two intire fights with spiderman not holding back becuases he was either enrage or though DD was a robot. THATS the scan I have been talking about.

He even states he moves faster than most people think.

Battlehammer
digi your scann is not the entire fight though.........

B.A
It works for me, and Spidey owns him in 1 punch that DD is helpless to dodge (and he says so in his own words). So that is about as clear as you can get in terms of on-panel evidence. If you still disagree at this point, I'll just have to chalk it up to stubbornness and leave the thread since I'm obviously not making progress. I have to do the same. I mean its on panel for him.

Battlehammer
It works for me, and Spidey owns him in 1 punch that DD is helpless to dodge (and he says so in his own words). So that is about as clear as you can get in terms of on-panel evidence. If you still disagree at this point, I'll just have to chalk it up to stubbornness and leave the thread since I'm obviously not making progress.

I got it to work.

now can you please show the rest of the fight. Becuases I know it did not end with that hit.

Im pritty sure I read this issue and it a longer fight then your making it sound.

B.A

Accel
Spider-Man's obviously faster than Daredevil, but I don't think the difference is nearly as big as most people make it out to be.

Even in that cited instance where Spidey punched DD, he isn't "one-shotted" at all. In fact, he continues to fight until he manages to snap Spidey back to his senses, which tells me he either rolled with the punch or he took a Class 10 ten punch straight to the face and shrugged it off.

Battlehammer

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Accel
Spider-Man's obviously faster than Daredevil, but I don't think the difference is nearly as big as most people make it out to be.

Even in that cited instance where Spidey punched DD, he isn't "one-shotted" at all. In fact, he continues to fight until he manages to snap Spidey back to his senses, which tells me he either rolled with the punch or he took a Class 10 ten punch straight to the face and shrugged it off.
I agree

SuperiorTech

More likely than not it would be him rolling with the punch,

DigiMark007
One-shotted was the wrong word to use, but I didn't have the whole fight for reference.

But the point of the thread is speed. And Matt tells the reader himself that he can't even begin to dodge Spidey. If that isn't proof of my point, I don't know what is.

Battlehammer
actaully he said that punch. refferring to that single instances. If he ment at all then he would not have been shown dooging spiderman in the next pannel.

Accel
Originally posted by SuperiorTech
More likely than not it would be him rolling with the punch,
Which is pretty much my main point. Even when Daredevil is going on about how he's no match for Peter's speed, he still manages to at least roll with his attacks for minimal damage and then proceed to tangle with Spidey in that fight. Sure he admits Spidey's not at peak efficiency, but does any one think Peter's speed was halved or something?

This is just the kind of fight I generally see happening between the two even in a forum match- Spider-Man outclassing Matt in speed but Matt still able to keep up- rather than the popular opinion that Spidey will blitz him into the ground.

lando005
spidy holds bad a good 70-90% of the time, he'ld only go full out against someone who could honestly take his best shots like mid and top tiers

B.A
Which is pretty much my main point. Even when Daredevil is going on about how he's no match for Peter's speed, he still manages to at least roll with his attacks for minimal damage and then proceed to tangle with Spidey in that fight. Sure he admits Spidey's not at peak efficiency, but does any one think Peter's speed was halved or something?

This is just the kind of fight I generally see happening between the two even in a forum match- Spider-Man outclassing Matt in speed but Matt still able to keep up- rather than the popular opinion that Spidey will blitz him into the ground. Yoiu still can't ignoe the fact he was not peak.

I mean even DD admitted so. That overpowering was not even Spidey using full potential.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by B.A
Yoiu still can't ignoe the fact he was not peak.

I mean even DD admitted so. That overpowering was not even Spidey using full potential.
His brain was messed up due to hypnotist crap......not his physical abilties..........spiderman was no slower he was just not him self mean not as good as him self. But his speed was not effect nor his strength and to think so is jsut stupid.

Accel
I'm not ignoring any thing, but the whole "peak efficiency" thing seems to apply more that Spidey thought he was fighting a 10-foot tall robot instead of another person. There's nothing to indicate he wasn't moving at peak speeds when he thought lives were in danger there.

And my biggest, most overlooked point is that yes, DD admits Spidey is faster (and he is), but he still keeps up with him regardless.

B.A
So DD is stupid?

Accel
No, he just tends to downplay his own his own abilities. He does it surprisingly often.

SuperiorTech
Ok here is a good example of the speed, strength, agility coupled with spider sense that spiderman is capable of when going all out.Here he is being controlled and is trying to kill Mary jane.All through it he is trying to fight the control and stop himself.

http://img133.imagevenue.com/loc1108/th_00251_Web_of_Spiderman_6129-03_122_1108lo.jpghttp://img174.imagevenue.com/loc119/th_00278_Web_of_Spiderman_0129-04_05_122_119lo.jpghttp://img11.imagevenue.com/loc608/th_00282_Web_of_Spiderman_2129-06_122_608lo.jpghttp://img160.imagevenue.com/loc764/th_00287_Web_of_Spiderman_7129-07_122_764lo.jpg
http://img205.imagevenue.com/loc124/th_00293_Web_of_Spiderman_6129-08_122_124lo.jpghttp://img202.imagevenue.com/loc550/th_00304_Web_of_Spiderman_5129-09_122_550lo.jpghttp://img148.imagevenue.com/loc1076/th_00310_Web_of_Spiderman_3129-10_122_1076lo.jpg
http://img208.imagevenue.com/loc166/th_00315_Web_of_Spiderman_3129-11_122_166lo.jpghttp://img170.imagevenue.com/loc1199/th_00322_Web_of_Spiderman_5129-12_122_1199lo.jpg

SuperiorTech
http://img11.imagevenue.com/loc1158/th_00325_Web_of_Spiderman_9129-13_122_1158lo.jpg
http://img184.imagevenue.com/loc31/th_00370_Web_of_Spiderman_4129-14_122_31lo.jpghttp://img191.imagevenue.com/loc578/th_00371_Web_of_Spiderman_1129-15_122_578lo.jpghttp://img171.imagevenue.com/loc678/th_00376_Web_of_Spiderman_2129-16_122_678lo.jpghttp://img136.imagevenue.com/loc509/th_00378_Web_of_Spiderman_0129-17_122_509lo.jpg
http://img120.imagevenue.com/loc702/th_00380_Web_of_Spiderman_8129-18_122_702lo.jpghttp://img171.imagevenue.com/loc1095/th_00385_Web_of_Spiderman_5129-19_122_1095lo.jpg

srankmissingnin
Spider-man pulls his punches, he doesn't cost in neutral. Holds back his strength, not his speed.

Alfheim
Spiderman pulls his punches. He does not hold back in terms of speed.

Which is pretty much my main point. Even when Daredevil is going on about how he's no match for Peter's speed, he still manages to at least roll with his attacks for minimal damage and then proceed to tangle with Spidey in that fight.

My god man, DD is rolling with punches that are already being pulled and the times Spdierman was not pulling his punches his mind was either clouded with anger or he was hallucinating.

Sure he admits Spidey's not at peak efficiency, but does any one think Peter's speed was halved or something?

This is just the kind of fight I generally see happening between the two even in a forum match- Spider-Man outclassing Matt in speed but Matt still able to keep up- rather than the popular opinion that Spidey will blitz him into the ground.

Spiderman is not going to speedblitz DD. DD keeps up because he has a radar sense and MA training and Spiderman pulls his punches. Spiderman uses full force punches DD is going down.

His brain was messed up due to hypnotist crap......not his physical abilties..........spiderman was no slower he was just not him self mean not as good as him self. But his speed was not effect nor his strength and to think so is jsut stupid.

DD said Spiderman was not operating at peak efficiency. What the f**k?

Alfheim
Furthermore if you brain is messed up everything else will be messed up because your brain controls everything.

llagrok
Man that was a low showing for Justice.

Arahan
Originally posted by llagrok
Man that was a low showing for Justice.

this is spiderman, he can do that with his powers.
why everybody underestimates spiderman eek!

Endless Mike
Obviously he holds back lots of the time, he's not a killer.

DigiMark007
If anyone wants to see Spidey NOT holding back, our first round match in the tourney starts Monday.

cool

Creshosk
So spiderman forces himself to go slower when fighting people? To what end?

Holding back his strength I'd understand to not smear people. But why go slower?

Tommy05
Originally posted by Creshosk

Holding back his strength I'd understand to not smear people. But why go slower? hitting someone at the speed he moves would cause allot of damage. Besides have you ever hit someone using full speed but not going full on with the force?

DigiMark007
I think with speed they're referring to dodging, not his attacking speed. And I agree that he never really has a reason to hold back with that, so he probably doesn't.

But he's stated himself that he holds back on his punches a lot so as not to kill people or villians.

AcousticDoc

Holding back his strength I'd understand to not smear people. But why go slower?

Err...Force = Mass*Acceleration silly!

Alfheim
It could also be argued that lighter punches are possibly faster. The more powerful the punch the slower it will be.

Creshosk
Originally posted by AcousticDoc
Err...Force = Mass*Acceleration silly! So if he goes slower the people fighting him will hit him with less force?

ka-dur

AcousticDoc
So if he goes slower the people fighting him will hit him with less force?

ka-dur

ARRG! No! If he goes slower, he'll hit people with less force and thus "pull" his punches! There's no way he can pull his punches by moving the optimal speed unless he had the ability to manipulate his density!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.