How overpriced is Music equipment?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
I'm a musician, as well as many people.

Right now my dream is to get a fender american deluxe jazz bass $1300, and a ampeg cabinet $900 with a svt pro 4 head $1300.

I do not have nearly enough to buy all of that at once let alone one at a time with out being financially F'ed.

So I was wondering, is there actual documentation somewhere, website, or anything that shows the actual production cost versus how much it is sold for?

just wondering.

I'm pretty sure its f'ing ridiculous

Alpha Centauri
My dream house has many things in it, it's overpriced because...it's a dream.

-AC

Df02
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
I'm a musician, as well as many people.

Right now my dream is to get a fender american deluxe jazz bass $1300, and a ampeg cabinet $900 with a svt pro 4 head $1300.

I do not have nearly enough to buy all of that at once let alone one at a time with out being financially F'ed.

So I was wondering, is there actual documentation somewhere, website, or anything that shows the actual production cost versus how much it is sold for?

just wondering.

I'm pretty sure its f'ing ridiculous

you cant just compare production cost and sale cost... that's ridiculous.
completely negates the whole design process.

plus, we live in a commercial world, it costs a lot because it's good enough that people will pay a lot...

mopedman
uhhh if u donnt care about dings and dents ebay or used equipement

ragesRemorse
THe resale market for instruments is crap, unless they are vintage. Yet, the used instruments are always sold for much more than the blue book value at alot of establishments

tabby999
I suppose it comes down to knowing what you want to buy and its true value. And lots of places that sell instruments generally try to squeeze every cent out of the customer because unless they keep playing and upgrading (lots of 2 guitar lessons then stop 'cos its too hard cases out there) they're only going to really make one purchase. Once you've bought the guitar it'll last a while (hopefully)

mr.smiley
Music equipment can be overpriced,but in my experince as a musician you can almost always wheel and deal your way into making it worth your money.Any time you think your going to pay too much for lets say a guitar,try to talk them down at least 100 bucks.Tell em,I will pay you XXXX amount in cash right now for it.If they don't budge,agree to pay the full amount but tell them you'll only do it if they gurantee you a guitar case and a free package of strings(your choice of strings).

Anytime somewell is telling you their charging extra because the intstrument is brand new,call them out.This is probably a bunch of BS..Unless you were their at the factory and watched it come out of the factory in a box,consider the intstrument used.Chances are,a thousand people have played that instrument.One or two people have probably even tried to rent to own the instrument and had to take it back.It's probably even been repaired once or twice.

It always helps to know people were you buy from.I saved quite a decent amount of money on several instrument parts,just because I was always in the place and knew the people fairly well.

Nellinator
I only buy from one store because one of my good friends works there. He's total gear head and knows absolutely everything about guitars and gives me best price every time without having to hassle. Of course that only happens when you guarantee repeat business. I started by buying a cheap acoustic and hard case, then strings and a few music books, then $2000 on a keyboard and accessories while sending other people to the store. I got deals mostly because the boss knew that I was sending business his way.

SelphieT
Of course good music equipment is pricy, but as is anything. Plus, if you take care of them correctly, they'll last for a long, long time.

I think it's totally worth it, unless you know it's a total rip off.

I'm looking forward to getting a $400 keyboard, for my house is a little too small, and temporary for a nice piano.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.