what are the 3 top land animals?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Master-Borg
edit: oops, wrong forum

Battlehammer
..........we don't have an animal section on kmc..........do we?

Master-Borg
Originally posted by Battlehammer

nope

Battlehammer
then were, where you gunna post that?

Badabing
Originally posted by Master-Borg
edit: oops, wrong forum I'll play along. Top predators, largest, fastest, coolest, baddest?????

Battlehammer
ya tell us what your looking for.

Master-Borg
top 3 land animals in a fight for survival....so they dont have to be predators.

I was thinking

1) african male bull elephant (nobodys taking him down)

2) rhino?

3) polar/grizzly bear?

Galan007
Just saw an episode of National Geographic where a pride of lions attacked and killed a male bull elephant.

Master-Borg
Originally posted by Galan007
Just saw an episode of National Geographic where a pride of lions attacked and killed a male bull elephant.

yeah, but that's a pride of lions (likely more than 5). and it might've been a sick or elderly elephant, since Lions generally target the weakest members of a group.

Kutulu

Your ban finally wore off eh? dots

endrict

Noob.

B.A
Originally posted by Kutulu
Your ban finally wore off eh? dots http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8217/odurlylc6or0.png

Soljer
Originally posted by Kutulu
Your ban finally wore off eh? dots

Don't be so quick to judge.

Maybe he's changed?

Battlehammer
top 3 land animals in a fight for survival....so they dont have to be predators.

I was thinking

2) rhino?

3) polar/grizzly bear?
Im assume were doing one type correct?

Like not an african elephant and then a indian

Human

elephant

siberian tiger

hugekent
The big grey 3 are the best chances.

-An elephant would be unbeatable 1 on 1.
-Rhinos are fairly mobile and have tough skin to go along with it. Plus the horn.
-Hippos are crazy aggressive and powerful, and very dangerous with those teeth.

The only animals I could see *maybe* taking out a rhino or a hippo are a polar bear and a large grizzly.

Soljer
Gorillas are the best. No contest.

Kutulu
Originally posted by Soljer
_GLuaMpu1Uo

quanchi112
Rhinos,Hippos, and polar bears.

Symmetric Chaos

We do have a hidden "creepy sexual fetishes" forum though . . .

Val
Reported for racism.

Battlehammer
a siberian tiger would ripp one to shreds lol

quanchi112
a siberian tiger would ripp one to shreds lol Oh yeah well a grizzly bear would maul your siberian tiger. smile

SaintSmurph
Polar Bears aren't > Grizzly Bears in a fight, mainly due to the type of claws

Also, that dur pic is annoying. Stop posting it.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by SaintSmurph
Polar Bears aren't > Grizzly Bears in a fight, mainly due to the type of claws

Also, that dur pic is annoying. Stop posting it.
correct

Battlehammer
Originally posted by quanchi112
Oh yeah well a grizzly bear would maul your siberian tiger. smile
actaully they don't. It normally a roughly 50/50 maybe even an edge to the tiger

Soljer
I'm afraid that you're all still wrong. Gorillas will beat anything else in a fight.

Symmetric Chaos
I'm afraid that you're all still wrong. Gorillas will beat anything else in a fight.

Except more gorillas 313

Soljer
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Except more gorillas 313

Or larger Gorillas....

Symmetric Chaos
Or larger Gorillas....

Or smarter Gorillas. . .

quanchi112
actaully they don't. It normally a roughly 50/50 maybe even an edge to the tiger Not grizzlies. They are far to much for any tiger.

King Kandy
A Polar bear would probably do better then a grizzly do to larger size.

endrict
Kodiaks.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by endrict
Kodiaks.

The silent killer.

nvrbeenwthagirl
Animals that walk on All fours?

Elephants
Rhino's
Male Buffaloo

Animals who walk on two legs occasionally or most of the time
Polar Bears/Grizzlies
Gorillas
Komoto's

Battlehammer

gorillas have been killed by leopards have killed them and tigers some times eat leopards.........

Battlehammer
Not grizzlies. They are far to much for any tiger.

actaully there not. leopards are threats to gorillas........there food for tigers

SaintSmurph
Originally posted by King Kandy
A Polar bear would probably do better then a grizzly do to larger size. Grizzlies are more built for combat, have longer, sharper claws, and are stronger for their size.

Not to mention the stronger neck, so the Polar bear couldn't break it.

Polar bears are cooler, Grizzlies are better fighters.

Battlehammer
smurf right ecpt for the breaking neck bit. It could clearly break a grizzly neck. it be hard,but they could definetly do it.

Soljer
gorillas have been killed by leopards have killed them and tigers some times eat leopards.........

Stop being ignorant.

A single Gorilla would demolish a dozen tigers, lions, grizzlies, polar bears, kodiaks, crocodiles, and rhinos at once.

Hazsekswthurmom
actaully there not. leopards are threats to gorillas........there food for tigers Just younger Gorillas, an adult should have enough power to the crap out of a leopard.

Battlehammer
Stop being ignorant.

A single Gorilla would demolish a dozen tigers, lions, grizzlies, polar bears, kodiaks, crocodiles, and rhinos at once.
..............................................................to shay

Soljer

Battlehammer
I like my version better

dam french people .

SaintSmurph
smurf right ecpt for the breaking neck bit. It could clearly break a grizzly neck. it be hard,but they could definetly do it. Perhaps "couldn't" was the wrong term.

It would certainly be harder.

And, are we talking specific subspecies, like, Kodiak?

Battlehammer
the Kodiak is actually larger then a polar bear if not mistaken

quanchi112
the Kodiak is actually larger then a polar bear if not mistaken I think the polar bear weighs more. Im just to lazy to do some searching but Im almost 100 percent sure they weigh the most.

SaintSmurph
I think the polar bear weighs more. Im just to lazy to do some searching but Im almost 100 percent sure they weigh the most. I think this is right, but the Kodiaks are longer.

quanchi112
I think this is right, but the Kodiaks are longer. I just wish I had the motivation to find out for sure. Damn my current laziness.

Battlehammer
I think this is right, but the Kodiaks are longer.

No im pritty dam posotive kodiaks wiegh more

quanchi112
No im pritty dam posotive kodiaks wiegh more Ok which one of us is going to look it up?

Should we play paper scissors rock to see who looks it up.

laughing

lando005
your all wrong damit!! you forgot the deadly wambat!

lando005
but on amore serious note, i would say maybe a silver back gorilla or a grizzly bear with some type of big cat coming in 3rd

endrict
How about a Wolverine?

King Kandy
Grizzlies are more built for combat, have longer, sharper claws, and are stronger for their size.

Not to mention the stronger neck, so the Polar bear couldn't break it.

Polar bears are cooler, Grizzlies are better fighters.
They can be better fighters but that doesn't necesarily mean they'll win... Size matters, and even if Grizzly Bears can beat Polar Bears, that doesn't mean they'll do as well as a polar bear against other species.

lando005
Originally posted by endrict
How about a Wolverine? * waits for hammer's reply*

King Kandy
A Komodo (As Nvr said) would be an interesting choice... I wonder...

lando005
A Komodo (As Nvr said) would be an interesting choice... I wonder... very true but i think combat mobility wise it wont do too well

SaintSmurph
They can be better fighters but that doesn't necesarily mean they'll win... Size matters, and even if Grizzly Bears can beat Polar Bears, that doesn't mean they'll do as well as a polar bear against other species. Grizzlies are more muscular for their size, so it doesn't hold that much merit.

Creshosk
Humans are my favorite animal... what?

Stop being ignorant.

A single Gorilla would demolish a dozen lions, tigers, grizzlies, polar bears, kodiaks, crocodiles, and rhinos at once. fixed.

lions, tigers, bearsOh my!

Capt Spaulding
anyone who even thinks it's entertaining, ot interesting for that matter, to pit animals against one another, to the death, should be "mauled" and "ripped to shreds", themselves no expression

Bouboumaster
1- Me
2- All other humans
3- Mosquitoes

spetznaz
edit: oops, wrong forum My choices for land animals (not including humans, the most dangerous of all, or the female anopheles mosquito with malaria causing plasmodium, the second most dangerous animal in the world, or the african water snail with bilharzia, or the Indian Russels Viper that kills around 10,000 Indians a year.....any of a bunch of dangerous critters .....so let me just concentrate on large mammals).

1) African Bull Elephant: Nothing can really take one down on a 1 to 1 basis, and they have been shown to kill other animals (particularly Rhinos) at water holes during periods of drought.

2) Bull Hippo: Apart from a Bull Elephant, nothing can take down a male hippo 1 to 1 apart from another Bull Hippo or a person with powerful weapons and skill . They have excessively thick hide that is very difficult to penetrate (at oblique angles rifle bullets have ricocheted off), they have battle tusks (they are elongated teeth found in the bulls used for fighting) which are self-whetting (self-sharpening) and capable of inflicting severe wounds, and Bull Hippos have the worst temper of any animal in Africa (and are responsible for the most human deaths caused by a mammal in Africa ....more than lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants, buffalo combined). An encounter with a hippo, where you are between them and water, is a very bad situation. They may be herbivores, but they will chop you in half as they rush towards the water. Anyways, the only animal that can kill a Bull Hippo 1 to 1 is an Elephant (female hippos have been recorded chopping crocodiles in half while protecting their young, and the females are smaller than the males by a good margin)

3) Siberian Tiger: This was a hard one, and I almost put another herbivore (in this case either the African Cape Buffalo, or the Indian Gaur, before eliminating them because certain large lion specimens ...e.g. the African lions of the Ngorongonro crater, or a large Indian Gir lion, can take them out respectively). There was also the case of the Ursa clan ....the grizzly and the polar bear. But then again, the cats would be much faster than the bear in attack ferocity (and almost match them in power). There was also the case for the African lion (larger than the Indian gir lion, particularly certain African lions that stay in areas of Kenya, Tanzania and parts of Southern Africa that can be larger than most people would expect), especially since ALL that the African lion does is simply mate and fight off other males trying to take over the pride. An adult African lion is simply a fighter ....the females do all the hunting, and the lion's side of the deal is to ensure that he kills or drives off any intruding males (who would otherwise kill him, kill all the cubs, and then mate with the lionesses). Thus there is a fighting edge ...and not a small one. However the Siberian tiger has a profound size advantage that gave it the overall win for 3rd place in my book (as i mentioned, there are some African lions in certain areas ....e.g. the swamp lions of Tanzania, which are significantly larger than the average African lion, and the lions that stay in Tsavo in Kenya ....and they can be larger than the tiger species, which is interesting because tiger specie like the Bengal tend to be on average larger than lions. However, even these 'mutant' lions are not larger than an adult male Siberian/Amur tiger). Thus I'd place the Siberian in 3rd.

There are other favorable mentions (e.g. the Rhino), but they have deficiencies (e.g. for the Rhino it is things like near-sightedness) and there is more thna one species (i.e. the African White Rhino is almost twice the size of the African black Rhino, but it is the black type that is aggressive while the white is largely docile. And then there are the armored, and in one case 'wooly', Asian rhinos). Also, a black rhino will not mess with one of the Ngorongoro crater lions i was talking about.

Faceman
1. Male Bull African Elephant

2. Rhino / Hippo

3. http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict13.html

quanchi112
Grizzlies are more muscular for their size, so it doesn't hold that much merit. For some reason I would think a grizzly would be able to kill a polar bear as well. Could be wrong but their more robust bodies I would think would give them the edge.

UniOmni
Male African Elephant

Hippo - Teeth are extremely dangerous, and nasty tempers with highest death rate in Africa.

White Rhino - They are near-sighted to the point of blindness iirc, but their size and bulk make them top 3.

Thank you ZOOBOOKS!!

Bouboumaster
lol, Here's the top 10!

http://www.livescience.com/animals/top10_deadliestanimals.html

Faceman
For some reason I would think a grizzly would be able to kill a polar bear as well. Could be wrong but their more robust bodies I would think would give them the edge.

I agree.

quanchi112
Originally posted by UniOmni
Male African Elephant

Hippo - Teeth are extremely dangerous, and nasty tempers with highest death rate in Africa.

White Rhino - They are near-sighted to the point of blindness iirc, but their size and bulk make them top 3.

Thank you ZOOBOOKS!! I think my brother had those to. He had lots of freakin cards I wouldnt have the patience to look them up.

lando005
Originally posted by Capt Spaulding
anyone who even thinks it's entertaining, ot interesting for that matter, to pit animals against one another, to the death, should be "mauled" and "ripped to shreds", themselves no expression Michale vic

lando005
Originally posted by spetznaz
My choices for land animals (not including humans, the most dangerous of all, or the female anopheles mosquito with malaria causing plasmodium, the second most dangerous animal in the world, or the african water snail with bilharzia, or the Indian Russels Viper that kills around 10,000 Indians a year.....any of a bunch of dangerous critters .....so let me just concentrate on large mammals).

1) African Bull Elephant: Nothing can really take one down on a 1 to 1 basis, and they have been shown to kill other animals (particularly Rhinos) at water holes during periods of drought.

2) Bull Hippo: Apart from a Bull Elephant, nothing can take down a male hippo 1 to 1 apart from another Bull Hippo or a person with powerful weapons and skill . They have excessively thick hide that is very difficult to penetrate (at oblique angles rifle bullets have ricocheted off), they have battle tusks (they are elongated teeth found in the bulls used for fighting) which are self-whetting (self-sharpening) and capable of inflicting severe wounds, and Bull Hippos have the worst temper of any animal in Africa (and are responsible for the most human deaths caused by a mammal in Africa ....more than lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants, buffalo combined). An encounter with a hippo, where you are between them and water, is a very bad situation. They may be herbivores, but they will chop you in half as they rush towards the water. Anyways, the only animal that can kill a Bull Hippo 1 to 1 is an Elephant (female hippos have been recorded chopping crocodiles in half while protecting their young, and the females are smaller than the males by a good margin)

3) Siberian Tiger: This was a hard one, and I almost put another herbivore (in this case either the African Cape Buffalo, or the Indian Gaur, before eliminating them because certain large lion specimens ...e.g. the African lions of the Ngorongonro crater, or a large Indian Gir lion, can take them out respectively). There was also the case of the Ursa clan ....the grizzly and the polar bear. But then again, the cats would be much faster than the bear in attack ferocity (and almost match them in power). There was also the case for the African lion (larger than the Indian gir lion, particularly certain African lions that stay in areas of Kenya, Tanzania and parts of Southern Africa that can be larger than most people would expect), especially since ALL that the African lion does is simply mate and fight off other males trying to take over the pride. An adult African lion is simply a fighter ....the females do all the hunting, and the lion's side of the deal is to ensure that he kills or drives off any intruding males (who would otherwise kill him, kill all the cubs, and then mate with the lionesses). Thus there is a fighting edge ...and not a small one. However the Siberian tiger has a profound size advantage that gave it the overall win for 3rd place in my book (as i mentioned, there are some African lions in certain areas ....e.g. the swamp lions of Tanzania, which are significantly larger than the average African lion, and the lions that stay in Tsavo in Kenya ....and they can be larger than the tiger species, which is interesting because tiger specie like the Bengal tend to be on average larger than lions. However, even these 'mutant' lions are not larger than an adult male Siberian/Amur tiger). Thus I'd place the Siberian in 3rd.

There are other favorable mentions (e.g. the Rhino), but they have deficiencies (e.g. for the Rhino it is things like near-sightedness) and there is more thna one species (i.e. the African White Rhino is almost twice the size of the African black Rhino, but it is the black type that is aggressive while the white is largely docile. And then there are the armored, and in one case 'wooly', Asian rhinos). Also, a black rhino will not mess with one of the Ngorongoro crater lions i was talking about. put much thought into this?

quanchi112
Originally posted by lando005
put much thought into this? laughing

spetznaz
put much thought into this?

LOL.

In a past life I was into wildlife (particularly when you consider I was born and raised to the age of 18 in a certain African nation). Thus, I do tend to know something about them (had an interesting encounter while in a group with some hippos at some lodge).

MightyEInherjar
Grizzly bears are neither stronger nor do they have "sharper claws" than a polar bear.

Larger? Yes. Sharper? Not even close.

Grizzlies use their claws for digging...they're long and dull like a dogs. A polar bear on the other hand has shorter, sharper claws, more similar to a cat. They need sharper claws to pull seals, walruses, beluga whales, etc out of the water, holes, and across the ice.

Hell, you and I have already had this debate Capt.

Originally posted by MightyEInherjar
I never said they were smaller, I said they were made for SLICING. A brown bears claws are long and made for DIGGING, whereas the Polar Bear uses it's claws to cut open seal flesh.

Siberian Tigers are also known to DIE trying to kill those bears. Also, the tiger has two of the things that put the Polar Bear above the Grizzly: Arm (leg) Strength matched with Slicing Claws. Now, I'm not being so ignorant as to say a Siberian Tiger has anywhere near the strength as a Grizzly, but I'm saying that matched with it's claws gives it a distinct advantage.

Now, to the bears. The Polar Bear has a GREATLY improved leg/arm strength, as well as a better usage of it's weight. It has evolved from the Grizzly to have stronger shoulders and limbs to smash through ice, as well as the sharp, cutting claws to grip seals and fling them from their burrows.

Lets look at the common diet of the Grizzly Bear: roots, parsnips, grasses, sedges, and a variety fish. 15% of their diet is meat.

Now, the Polar Bears: Ringed Seals, Bearded Seals, Harp Seals, Hooded Seals, and on the more extreme end: Beluga Whales, Narwhals, Walruses and Bowhead Whales. Their diet is over 90% meat.

My point?

With their size, strength, and tools created specifically to cut flesh and take down other stronger, heavier animals, the Polar Bear is far more equipped and is much more comfortable in a 'combat situation' than a Grizzly.

Polar>Grizzly.

Heh, funny to see you've completely changed sides on the issue Smurph:
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
Please.

A polar bear easily has more combat expierience.

A brown bear occaisionally must fight off a tiger or another bear, but their average diet consists of grasses, fruits, bulbs and roots, insects, fish and small animals. In few areas there are known to be predators of larger animals such as caribou and moose.

The polar bear, for their CONSTANT diet must kill such animals as seals, young walruses, beluga whales, musk oxen, reindeer, and the bigger ones even go for adult walruses, which are generally twice the weight of the polar bear. Thats a waaaaaaaaaay bigger predator for you.

MightyEInherjar
Walrus getting wtfbbqpwnzord by a polar bear:

Ob_oD1IsYbE

hugekent
Originally posted by nvrbeenwthagirl
Animals that walk on All fours?

Elephants
Rhino's
Male Buffaloo

Animals who walk on two legs occasionally or most of the time
Polar Bears/Grizzlies
Gorillas
Komoto's
Komodo Dragon did you mean? I've been to Komodo but I only saw one go on to two legs and that was to start a climb up a tree. I guess that's why you threw in occasionally. They would get crushed by an elephant, hippo and rhino though.

These discussions on male orientated forums always bring the silverback gorilla comments. Firstly, a gorilla would never fight a big bear, it would run away. Secondly, in the unlikely event they did fight, a polar or grizzly bear is a lot bigger than a gorilla and possibly stronger all round. The bear would get some bad cuts and bites, but the gorilla would die.

ExodusCloak
Off topic I know but are Blue Whales still around? Or have the gone extinct?

spetznaz
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
Off topic I know but are Blue Whales still around? Or have the gone extinct?

They are still around.

Hitman911
Killer Croc!!!

Priest
This Elephant attack in India is pretty crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx7pPxJ4qvI

Hitman911
Originally posted by Priest
If that dude had 9 lives he still wouldn't have made it!!

MightyEInherjar
Originally posted by Priest

Haha! India f*cking sucks!

SaintSmurph
Heh, funny to see you've completely changed sides on the issue Smurph: Yeah, I know. Since then, I've debated, read up, and changed my mind.

Ah well.

King Kandy
How would a killer whale do? Or a shark, or some other large aquatic predator?

lando005
does comparing these animals in a fight make us morally wrong?

hugekent
How would a killer whale do? Or a shark, or some other large aquatic predator? Killer whales are virtually the top predator in the world, besides humans which are it's only predator. A single orca will kill and eat anything from a polar bear right up to a great white shark. A pod of them can pretty much do as they please. When I was in my late teens and at uni, I had the opportunity to swim with orcas after studying them for 6 months. They came within metres of me, but never even threatened to attack. It was quite odd.

Master-Borg
does comparing these animals in a fight make us morally wrong? I don't think so. I'm personally interested in what the most powerful animal is, purely from a theoretical point.

If I were to pit a lion and a tiger and force them to fight, then I think it would be morally wrong.

But simply discussing what the most powerful creature is does not cross that boundary imo.

lando005
I don't think so. I'm personally interested in what the most powerful animal is, purely from a theoretical point.

If I were to pit a lion and a tiger and force them to fight, then I think it would be morally wrong.

But simply discussing what the most powerful creature is does not cross that boundary imo. alright i guess your right between the whole dog fighting thing and my ethics class i'm a little confused now and days

MightyEInherjar
Originally posted by hugekent
Killer whales are virtually the top predator in the world, besides humans which are it's only predator. A single orca will kill and eat anything from a polar bear right up to a great white shark. A pod of them can pretty much do as they please. When I was in my late teens and at uni, I had the opportunity to swim with orcas after studying them for 6 months. They came within metres of me, but never even threatened to attack. It was quite odd.

Not to mention packs taking down blue whales...

Tron

Then what was the right forum?

Originally posted by Galan007
yeah, but that's a pride of lions (likely more than 5). and it might've been a sick or elderly elephant, since Lions generally target the weakest members of a group.

I'll agree. Even a very hungry pride aren't foolish enough to mess with a healthy adult bull elephant. They have no natural competition in Africa.

MightyEInherjar
Originally posted by Tron
Then what was the right forum?

I'll agree. Even a very hungry pride aren't foolish enough to mess with a healthy adult bull elephant. They have no natural competition in Africa.

Yet recently, the documentary Galan was talking about, a pride of lions took down, attacked, or killed 3 different bull elephants. I believe two were killed, one was simply attacked, and the other elephants they killed weren't bulls.

Master-Borg
Yet recently, the documentary Galan was talking about, a pride of lions took down, attacked, or killed 3 different bull elephants. I believe two were killed, one was simply attacked, and the other elephants they killed weren't bulls.

were they full grown bull elephants in their prime or young ones or old sick ones?

also, what was the ratio of lions to elephant?

I think it would take at least 7 or more lions to take down a healthy bull elephant.

MightyEInherjar
were they full grown bull elephants in their prime or young ones or old sick ones?

also, what was the ratio of lions to elephant?

I think it would take at least 7 or more lions to take down a healthy bull elephant.

Fully grown. They were actually from a herd of bulls, and got ambushed at the watering hole they were sharing with the lions.

The pride was around 15 lions if I recall, but only 9 took place in the actual attack.

grey fox
I think the Komodo dragon deserve at least an honorary mention sad

It may not be very large, nor extremely strong, but a single bite can kill you rather easily, adding in the fact that there is no anti-venom to their 'technically' poisonous bite. Your f*cked.

I do believe however, that if it came down to it , a Tiger would kill a Komodo. However the Tiger would die of it's wounds a few hours later, making it a draw.

Respect Komodos

http://www.nature.ca/notebooks/images/komodo.gif

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.