Your pick for Best Game of 2007?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Many sites are having their nominees for best game of the year. Which one would you pick?

PC/360/Wii/PS3/Handheld

Here is mine.

I give it to....

*drumroll*

BIOSHOCK!

(2nd Place Halo 3. 3rd Place Phantom Hourglass)

So many good games this year. It's hard to pick an actual number one. But BioShock storyline takes the cake.

@st
1. Mario Galaxy

2. Mass Effect
3. Call of Duty 4
4. Rock Band

WrathfulDwarf
Damn! MG sure gets a lot good feedback. I really need to get it...uh-kay...I really need a Wii first. embarrasment

BackFire
The Orange Box

Or, if that's disqualified, Half Life 2 - Episode 2 (Yes, it's that good, by itself it's better than any other game I've played this year).

A very very close runner up, would be Bioshock. May even be a tie.

Oh wait, Mario Galaxy....man, can't decide. May be a threeway tie this year. All are astounding games.

Also Burning Crusade

Then Call of Duty 4

InnerRise
1. Mass Effect
2. Assassin's Creed
3. The Orange Box (Would this even count?) If not then.....
3. Bioshock

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by BackFire
The Orange Box

Or, if that's disqualified, Half Life 2 - Episode 2 (Yes, it's that good, by itself it's better than any other game I've played this year).

A very very close runner up, would be Bioshock. May even be a tie.

Oh wait, Mario Galaxy....man, can't decide. May be a threeway tie this year. All are astounding games.

Also Burning Crusade

Then Call of Duty 4

You didn't even bother to mention any racing games or even that NHL game. schmoll

(yeah, I know there were were a lot of good titles to chose from)

Bat Dude
The best game is actually on PS2...

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns: More replay value then any game on Earth...

Blax_Hydralisk
Bioshock then Halo 3.

*waits for the usual speal about Halo 3's crapiness*

BackFire
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
You didn't even bother to mention any racing games or even that NHL game. schmoll

Yep, NHL 08 was great, but not one of the best games of the year.

Forza 2 is in the same boat. Just too much competition this year.

Wandering Flame
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Bioshock then Halo 3.

*waits for the usual speal about Halo 3's crapiness* Halo 3 is generic and overrated, r0fl.

Estacado
1st Mass Effect.
2nd Bioshock.

Lana
Ah, man.

At the moment I'd say Bioshock, followed by Phantom Hourglass.

That may or may not change over the next couple weeks, though.

Blax_Hydralisk
C'mon Lana you know Halo 3 is your favorite.

Spidervlad
1. Assassin's Creed
2. Bioshock
3. Halo 3

I seriously don't know why I am so hooked at Assassin's Creed. I'm usually very bored about games where you do stuff over and over, and there's nothing to really push you to advance, except your thirst for blood. But aside from others I always found myself assassinating each target differentely. Either staying next to a column, 'praying', and waiting for my target to pass before giving him a nice backstab, or just jumping off the roof like a mad man and stabbing the target in the neck, or it might even be pushing a dead archer out onto the street to lure the guards away from the target, and then just enjoy massacring the target. The investigations are preety annoying thought. I also loved how they changed the Splinter Cell 'shadowy' assasinations to more of a 'sneaky stay out of view and plan' approach. They should've nerfed the throwing daggers thought, the one hit kill is too easy to kill archers.

Bioshock is awesome, it keeps you alive with AI, graphics, and the plot, but the enemy models and sounds started to get repetitive after a while. Not to mention that the big daddies are a bit too hard...

Halo 3 has awesome multiplayer, but the single player is seriously a piece of crap. It's like Halo 2 SP with a new plot.

xNIXSONx
1. BIOSHOCK - very engaging, amazing atmosphere and sound design (could have a lengthier and more epic ending though)
2. Mass Effect - awesome story, a lot of stuff to do
3. Halo 3 - i dont even need to explain why this game is aweosme

ragesRemorse
Id have to give it to the Orange box. Not only for the seamless transfer, but the quality of everything offered on the disc. They could have easily sold half life 2, and the expansion packs as separate products for $50 each. Not only did they give us all three of the half life games in one package. They also included tow other games which are impressive and entertaining. I felt as though i was being rewarded as a gamer with the orange box.

Id give Bioshock second place for being such an artistically original game with fluent engaging gameplay.

number 3 goes to mass effect and then call of duty 4

ragesRemorse

Ill give NHL props for surpassing 2k sports in game play quality for the first time, but it still isnt all that. 2k sports really dropped the ball with NHL this year

Smasandian
1. Mario Galaxy
2. Episode 2
3. Bioshock
4. Mass Effect
5. TF2
Honourable Mention: Madden 08, Crysis Demo (yes, the demo is that good)

Most Disappointing/Overated
1. Zelda:Phatom Hourglass
2. STALKER
(Other than that, I havnt played alot of games other than whats there)

General Kaliero
Well damn. There were a LOT of excellent titles this year...

1. Portal - Seriously. Nothing else this year gave me the pure, unadulterated fun that Portal did. The only thing to be said against it is that there wasn't more.

2. Super Mario Galaxy - Is there any more that needs to be said?

3. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - First FPS on Wii to get it right, along with beautiful scenery, a good storyline, excellent voices, and fun extras.

4. Assassin's Creed - Excellent game with excellent gameplay and excellent ideas, marred only slightly by repetitiveness. Currently my only 360 game, and quite worth it.

5. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - probably the best DS game this year. Very fun combination of Tactics and XII play.

Honorable Mention: Call of Duty 4, BioShock - The first FPS games I have well and truly loved to play. CoD4 is slightly higher, as BioShock is fun once, while CoD4 is fun over and over again.

BackFire
I think COD4 has a severe problem with the way the AI encounters play out.

I really hate the infinite respawning that occurs during the game, it seems like such a dated method that really shouldn't be in a game these days. Kill a guy, he pops back up in the same spot over and over until you arbitrarily run to a certain spot, at which point the enemies magically despawn.

Regardless, it was a great game, coulda been so much better with a more advanced method of AI conflict, though.

Wandering Flame
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
C'mon Lana you know Halo 3 is your favorite. crylaugh

Anyway, my pic for this year is either NG Sigma or Halo 3 most likely.

Remindme
No order in particulars

Bioshock - Just the vibe i got while playin it, Whatever they screwed up in Area 51, they got it damn spot on in Bioshock. Both games had similar feel for me.

Supreme Commander - Fan of RTS games, i loved Total Annihilation, and this is basically that so, whats not to like.

The Orange Box - Reasons already mentioned.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
I think COD4 has a severe problem with the way the AI encounters play out.

I really hate the infinite respawning that occurs during the game, it seems like such a dated method that really shouldn't be in a game these days. Kill a guy, he pops back up in the same spot over and over until you arbitrarily run to a certain spot, at which point the enemies magically despawn.

Regardless, it was a great game, coulda been so much better with a more advanced method of AI conflict, though.

It's funny because Call of Duty 1 and 2 didnt suffer from that problem, or it was cleverly handled. I do remember during the obligatory Call of Duty defense mission (holding the house in American campaigne of the second game), enemies would countlessly spawn, but it made sense considering its an counterattack from a division of enemies.

Call of Duty 3 on the otherhand was horrible for that. I remember attacking some hill or somethign and it was basically a squad vs squad type attack and I killed atleast 15-20 enemies. Finally, I realized that they stopped spawning and as soon as I hit the rocky area it stopped. That's just bad design. I'm suprised Infinity Ward did that in the 4th.

Neo Darkhalen
Super Mario Galaxy
Call Of Duty 4
Metriod
Halo 3

ESB -1138
1.) Super Mario Galaxy
2.) Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
3.) Mass Effect
4.) BioShock
5.) Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Neo Darkhalen
I was going to add Zelda it is a good game, and at times difficult.

Burning thought
not sure, 2007 has not ended yet lol...still got loads of good titles like Crysis, UT7 and prob others hitting shelves nearer to christmas

but at the moment

all these take votes from me for best game of the year atm

Burning crusade
Bioshock
Hellgate london maybe just about
Supreme commander

cant remember more, a year is a long time for my memory stick out tongue

CaptainStoic
To say any one game is the best would be a task in itself. So I'll narrow it down a little, and place the games in their respective slots.

Best Shooter Due to sales numbers
Halo 3

Best RPG
Mass Effect, World of Warcraft Burning Crusade

Best Racing Sim
Forza Motor Sports 2

Best Action Adventure
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, and Assassins Creed.

Best Sports title
NHL 08, Fifa 08.

Best Hack and Slash
Warriors Oroshi.

Best Fighing Game.
WWE Raw vs Smackdown 2008.

Best Musical Game
Rock Band, and Jam Session (DS)

@st
Originally posted by CaptainStoic

Best Shooter Due to sales numbers
Halo 3

What do sales have to with anything?

ESB -1138
Originally posted by @st
What do sales have to with anything?

I dunno. Shadow the Hedgehog managed to sell quite a bit...so I guess by that logic it's a good game.

Burning thought
sales has nothing to do with how good a game is, it only has to do with how good the games marketing was

WrathfulDwarf
Well, sales are important....specially in the case of the Halo franchaise. More people buying Halo 3= More people playing XBL. That also implies that you can always find someone to play on XBL.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Burning thought
not sure, 2007 has not ended yet lol...still got loads of good titles like Crysis, UT7 and prob others hitting shelves nearer to christmas

That's true. NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams comes out the 18th and that will be a great game.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by CaptainStoic
Best Fighing Game.
WWE Raw vs Smackdown 2008.

I have to disagree with this one...

SVR 08 sucks, imo...

Fire Pro Returns is WAY better... I suggest it to anyone who plays SVR 08...

It's a shame SVR 08 sells so much... They get progressively worse each year (the last good one was 06)

But anyway, yeah... Where's the PS2 love? God of War II rocked! That and Fire Pro Returns are absolutely the best PS2 games of the year, at LEAST...

Impediment
1. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - It's the reason the Wii was created. One of the very best games I've ever played.

2. Call of Duty 4 (PS3) - Hands down, the coolest FPS I've ever played, with the best online mode, IMO. F*ck Halo.

3. God of War II (PS2) - Say what you will, but this game is very fun, beautiful, and well made. It's a fine swan-song for the PS2.

4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii) - It's Metroid with Wii controls. Need I say more?

Bloigen
1. CoD4
2. God of War 2
3. BioShock
5. Ass Greed
6. Heavenly Sword

**** the rest.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Impediment
1. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - It's the reason the Wii was created. One of the very best games I've ever played.

2. Call of Duty 4 (PS3) - Hands down, the coolest FPS I've ever played, with the best online mode, IMO. F*ck Halo.

3. God of War II (PS2) - Say what you will, but this game is very fun, beautiful, and well made. It's a fine swan-song for the PS2.

4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii) - It's Metroid with Wii controls. Need I say more?

COD4 better on the 360.

ESB -1138
Most games are better on the 360

PiruBlood
1. mass effect

2. mario galaxy

3. c.o.d4

4. god of war II

5. assasins creed

6. bioshock

7. halo 3

WrathfulDwarf
Was there anything for the PSP?

I'm asking because is the only one not mention.

Lana
Was there anything for the PSP?

I'm asking because is the only one not mention.

That requires the PSP to release decent games.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Lana
That requires the PSP to release decent games.

Now, now Lana is the holiday season. Let's be nice to the PSP. stick out tongue

ESB -1138

Holiday season...Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Halloween, Easter? Be a little more specific.

Neo Darkhalen

Sonic Rivals 2

thats about it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.