Quality of a Mitsubishi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kumar
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the News and Communications forum or here so i decided here because i figured i would get more feedback.

Does anyone know how reliable Mitsubishis are? Some ******* totalled my car and i'm looking for a new one. I ran across a cool 1991 Eclipse and it has 112,000 miles on it and i was wondering if that was too much for a car like that. Because in know Hondas can go for freakin ever, like 250k and they are known for that. So i was curious as to if Misubishis were known for lasting long as well.

So some feedback would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

Blax_Hydralisk
You should totally kill the guy that did that.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Kumar
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the News and Communications forum or here so i decided here because i figured i would get more feedback.

Does anyone know how reliable Mitsubishis are? Some ******* totalled my car and i'm looking for a new one. I ran across a cool 1991 Eclipse and it has 112,000 miles on it and i was wondering if that was too much for a car like that. Because in know Hondas can go for freakin ever, like 250k and they are known for that. So i was curious as to if Misubishis were known for lasting long as well.

So some feedback would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

How much are they asking for, for the Mitsubishi? For a '91 with 122,000 miles on it, I wouldn't pay for more than 5 or 6 thousand bucks. And yes, Mitsubishi's last a long time, just like their rival Hondas. Especially Mistubishi trucks; those things can really take a beating.

Kumar
well, it has 112k on it and they guy is asking like, $3900 which, after consulting blue book, i found was a really good deal.
Do they last just as long as Hondas or similarly, give or take 25,000 miles?

(thanks for the speedy feedback btw big grin )

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Kumar
well, it has 112k on it and they guy is asking like, $3900 which, after consulting blue book, i found was a really good deal.
Do they last just as long as Hondas or similarly, give or take 25,000 miles?

(thanks for the speedy feedback btw big grin )

$3,900? Take it.

Not quite as long, but certainly much more so than a modern Kia or mid/late 90's soccer mom Ford. I'd place your average Mitsubishi at ~25-30k less than your average Honda. Which is still pretty damn good.

Kumar
thats very good news

dadudemon
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
How much are they asking for, for the Mitsubishi? For a '91 with 122,000 miles on it, I wouldn't pay for more than 5 or 6 thousand bucks. And yes, Mitsubishi's last a long time, just like their rival Hondas. Especially Mistubishi trucks; those things can really take a beating.

This guy knows more about cars than I do but I would have to agree with this guy for the most part....however, I would not pay 5 or 6 thousand unless it was in mint condition...I would only pay 3 to 4 thousand.

I have a honda accord and it has over 225,000 on it and it is a 97. It has no engine or transmission problems at all and I am thoroughly pleased with that quality...the driver window motor broke because an idiot was forcing the window down as hard as he could while someone else rolled the window up... mad

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by dadudemon
This guy knows more about cars than I do but I would have to agree with this guy for the most part....however, I would not pay 5 or 6 thousand unless it was in mint condition...I would only pay 3 to 4 thousand.

I have a honda accord and it has over 225,000 on it and it is a 97. It has no engine or transmission problems at all and I am thoroughly pleased with that quality...the driver window motor broke because an idiot was forcing the window down as hard as he could while someone else rolled the window up... mad

It's not very difficult to maintain a Japanese car in mint comdition, compared to it's American and European counterparts. The average Amercian automobile only has an average lifespan of 5-8 years, as opposed to 17-20 on a Honda. That's why its not at all surprising to me that your ten year old Honda has no tranny problems despite its high mileage.

Robtard

True that, I drive a 97 (full size) Montero as a second car now, that thing is a trooper, it has 110k miles and it doesn't burn any oil and it runs like a top... it was my wife's daily driver for years; it survived, that is definitely saying something about the durability of that truck.

Quiero Mota
thumb up I like Monteros. Definitely a workhorse.

WrathfulDwarf
Toyota>Mitsubishi.

Don't believe me? Drive from L.A. to S.D on a 2005 Corolla and then tell me how much gas you saved.

Sabrea
I know the older Mitsubishi's are usually pretty good cars. I'm not too sure about the new ones, I haven't heard anything great about them though. But seeing as it's a 1991 you're looking at, it should be pretty good. But when you're buying older used cars, a lot really does depend on the owner and how the treated it and took care of it. You might want to go look at it and make sure everything ok before you make a decision - and if you don't know a lot about cars bring someone with you who can check everything out.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Toyota>Mitsubishi.

Don't believe me? Drive from L.A. to S.D on a 2005 Corolla and then tell me how much gas you saved.

FCR isn't the one hinging factor on what makes a model or make good. But I agree with you, I'd take a Toy over a Mistubishi any. Modern Toyota trucks are really nice. My only complaint about Toyotas is that they tend to have overly sensitive steering.

Originally posted by Sabrea
But when you're buying older used cars, a lot really does depend on the owner and how the treated it and took care of it. You might want to go look at it and make sure everything ok before you make a decision - and if you don't know a lot about cars bring someone with you who can check everything out.

That's common sense.

ragesRemorse
mitsubishi, they're not built ford tough..., thats a good thing. Mitsubishi has become a high performance machines able to be enjoyed by most any level of income. They are also, rising in the ranks of reliability. I have a 96 eclipse. It has nearly 110 thousand miles on it. It has never been in the shop for mechanical failure. I doubt i would buy any car with 112 thousand miles on it though. Not for 4 grand. Mitsubishi's arent exactly rare or exotic. you can always find one for sale with a reasonable asking price. I suppose if the guy selling the car allows you to take it and have it looked over at a shop. It might be worth it though

Bicnarok

anaconda
BS it is proven that mitsubishi has better gas milage than toyota, Toyota has great cars indeed, but comming from a country that has a price on petrol like 12,97 NKR a litre / in US meassuress since you yanks cant handle measurments of a different value is that it is 3,8 litre in a US gallon and the dollar is 5,8 in our currency meaning that a gallon of gas here costs 8,5 dollars a gallon, point is MB has better gas milage than Toyota, i have had both cars and Toyota cant compare to the MB I have now

Deja~vu
Mercedes sports.......

http://www.mercedesclk550.com/html/mercedes_clk550.html

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by anaconda
BS it is proven that mitsubishi has better gas milage than toyota, Toyota has great cars indeed, but comming from a country that has a price on petrol like 12,97 NKR a litre / in US meassuress since you yanks cant handle measurments of a different value is that it is 3,8 litre in a US gallon and the dollar is 5,8 in our currency meaning that a gallon of gas here costs 8,5 dollars a gallon, point is MB has better gas milage than Toyota, i have had both cars and Toyota cant compare to the MB I have now

I've also owned both a Toyota and a Mitsubish. A Supra and an old Mitsu truck, so it really depends on the model if you're arguing gas mileage.

And I know how many liters are in a gallon.

tabby999
Mitsubishi made 15 million of the V-Tec engine. Not one has been sent back for repair. Not a single failure. Its mind boggling how efficient and clever those bastards are.

And a toyota pickup just dosn't die. They go and go and go forever, its amazing the punishment they can take.

leonheartmm
wow cars, teheee, i hate them smile

Bardock42
Originally posted by leonheartmm
wow cars, teheee, i hate them smile Me too, bringing me fast and comfortable to my destination of choice, how dare they. smile

leonheartmm
oh noo noo noo noo noo noo, u misunderstand. i dont hate the conforts they bring. i just dislike them as sumthing significantly more than a means of confy transport. i dont know how to drive one, and they are not terribly interesting. now PLANES, thats a different thing, i wuv them smile

Bardock42
oh noo noo noo noo noo noo, u misunderstand. i dont hate the conforts they bring. i just dislike them as sumthing significantly more than a means of confy transport. i dont know how to drive one, and they are not terribly interesting. now PLANES, thats a different thing, i wuv them smile

Nah, didn't misunderstand you, just went with what you said. Personally I don't really care much about how cars work either, hating them seems to be stupid though, except if one is a stupid hippie that buys into the lie of man made global warming smile

leonheartmm
since when is global warming a LIE????

WrathfulDwarf
FCR isn't the one hinging factor on what makes a model or make good. But I agree with you, I'd take a Toy over a Mistubishi any. Modern Toyota trucks are really nice. My only complaint about Toyotas is that they tend to have overly sensitive steering.

I'm actually considering trading my corolla for a Tacoma. But they are too damn overpriced in my area.

Originally posted by anaconda

As QM said depends on the models.

Also wasn't there an issue with the 2004-05 Outlanders? HA!

Quiero Mota
i dont know how to drive one, and they are not terribly interesting.

shock

Mavrick071
just curious about the Quality of an eclipse i am looking for an affordable gas saver plus a little style ha ha and i found a 1996 eclipse for $2000 the catch is that is has like 180xxx on it i'm just wondering if it would be worth it or if it is a lost cause the body is great i am just wondering if the motor will last or if it will just blow up the instant i drive away
if i could get a little feed back i would appreicate it THANKS!

AngryManatee
For any car with over 100k on it, I would request a lengthy test drive. If owning a car isn't too urgent, I would say save up and buy something with less mileage. Something Bavarian would be good, but that's just me. big grin

anaconda
not in Europe

goes without saying, you compare GM on similar models

Deja~vu
At first I thought the title of this thread was "Quality of Masterbation," and I thought oh no, not again......

Bardiel13
In 2005, Mitsubishi held seminars in six Japanese cities. In these seminars, they broke down the process of manufacturing a working replica of the RX-78-2 Gundam. I'm stuck between buying one to boost their funds to perhaps actually prove that they're not all talk or boycotting them until they prove they're not all talk. WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

sk8stuff09
random input:
any Japanese car (Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, etc.) is going to have good quality and will most likely be extremely reliable. Alot of hardcore American-Pride car fanatics will disagree about "rice burners", but just look at Consumer Reports or something. Ford's reliability usually doesn't live up to a Honda or Toyota. it's just facts.

tabby999
Yep. American cars aren't particularly well made when you hold them up to other countrys, the material they use isn't generally as good either. Its all about power, not handling, and while it may be all well and good to be able to do 150mph, if you spin into a tree at the first bend, whats the point.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.