Bleeding Punk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ragesRemorse
I was unable to find a punk appreciation thread. So, i made one.

Is punk dying, is it dead or is it as strong as ever? I meet many people whom like to believe punk is dying or dead. I think Punk has just relocated out of the mainstream back to where it belongs..., underground. I enjoy punk because it is the most raw and uncut music you can find in the rock world. In the mid 90's punk met mainstream and acquired a studio sound. I think thats when punk was dying. The genre has now resorted back to small smokey venue's and broken down vans on the interstate. The music isnt influenced by the masses but of the individuals creating the music. So, is it dying, has it lost its roots or just found a new style? Personally, i prefer the more vocal and guitar driven punk compared to the screaming jamble of the late 80's.

Whats your favorite punk bands?

Id list

Lars frederiksen and the bastards
Darkbuster
streetlight manifesto
Street dogs
Dropkick murphys
mustard plug
subhumans

Nellinator
There are still decent punk bands. I wouldn't say any of them are being overly original though.

Husker Du is probably my favourite punk band although I tend to like their more rock oriented stuff better.

Out of newer bands I enjoy Dropkick Murphys if only for their great energy live and Against Me!.

tabby999
Punks not dead. Lifetime saved it. Again.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by tabby999
Punks not dead. Lifetime saved it. Again.

how do you conclude that lifetime saved punk?

decent band, but i dont see that

tabby999
Their self titled album is the best quote unquote "punk" album in....maybe 5 years. Its a timely reminder of what the sound stood for i suppose. Short, fast, no excess fat, pure punk songwriting. I think the thing that makes it so brilliant is that it's fresh and amazing now, but it dosn't sound like the band took a break from 1997 at all.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by tabby999
Their self titled album is the best quote unquote "punk" album in....maybe 5 years. Its a timely reminder of what the sound stood for i suppose. Short, fast, no excess fat, pure punk songwriting. I think the thing that makes it so brilliant is that it's fresh and amazing now, but it dosn't sound like the band took a break from 1997 at all.

I agree they have strong music. It is, however, no stronger than what Social D, Far from finished, mustard plug, DArkbuster, comeback kid, Lars frederiksen and especially what the street dogs have been producing. My personal opinion would say other bands have produced stronger music, but that band is loyal and convicted to their music and it shows

I think Punk has found its residence in the world of rock. For to long, it tried to be separate from rock. I've always viewed punk as rock that rebelled against the mainstream of its own genre. Bands dont seem to be worried about being different from rock any longer. Punk is so great to me, because of the energy and lyrics. Its the everymans music. What do you think...,should punk always have a sound separate from rock?

tabby999
Your right that its a descendant of rock, most definitely, they just kept simplifying it until it was easy enough to play really, thats always been the beauty of it, anyone can play punk. So while it might not be rock anymore, thats where it came from.

And i know bands like Social D, Far from finished, mustard plug, DArkbuster, comeback kid and Lars frederiksen have been making some amazing music too, but i dont think they've managed to capture the essence as well as Lifetime have (recently, that is to say. Although Jerseys Best Dancers was brilliant too)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.