Gunman Kills Eight, Then Himself, at Omaha Shopping Mall

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

Bardock42
HIS NAME IS ROBERT HAWKINS! HIS NAME IS ROBERT HAWKINS!

SelphieT
I like hearing Nebraska in the news, my lovely home state, but not today.............

I went to that mall once.

The news said he had been in institutions before.......I wonder what was going through his head.

chillmeistergen
Sounds like Grand Theft Auto could be blamed for this one as well.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Bardock42

Did you know him or what?

SelphieT
Originally posted by chillmeistergen

I'm going to take you seriously on this, just to state that, because I can't tell if you are being serious or not. My apologies if you are joking.

Anyways, I woudn't exactly blame a videogame. The kid's been in wards before apparently, so you can only think of what was actually happening in that (probably) complex mind.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Did you know him or what? Nah, he just wanted to be famous. So...I see no reason why he should have died in vain.

SelphieT
Sweet, there's going to be more news about it.

I'll be back after the story. mmm

botankus
I was wondering why this thread wasn't posted earlier. Then, I was actually hoping that we had a chance to be a forum that didn't give that dude his "props."

Robtard

LoL... Fight Club was on HBO last night; I tuned in at exactly that part.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by SelphieT
I'm going to take you seriously on this, just to state that, because I can't tell if you are being serious or not. My apologies if you are joking.

Anyways, I woudn't exactly blame a videogame. The kid's been in wards before apparently, so you can only think of what was actually happening in that (probably) complex mind.

It wasn't particularly serious. Well, it was, but I didn't mean the game exclusively. I was more saying that I think another scapegoat will be found, claiming he was influenced by something, particularly something that the right of the political spectrum object to. Instead of just admitting that if guns weren't so widely available, this would happen far less.

JediSamuraiMRB
He's dead so no waste of a trial.

SelphieT
It wasn't particularly serious. Well, it was, but I didn't mean the game exclusively. I was more saying that I think another scapegoat will be found, claiming he was influenced by something, particularly something that the right of the political spectrum object to. Instead of just admitting that if guns weren't so widely available, this would happen far less.

That's true. I don't know why guns are just so available here. I hate that.........

So the kid got fired from his job at McDonalds, and his girlfriend dumped him. He didn't want to be a burden..........

Robtard
Would his hairstyle be considered "Emo" or "Emo'ish"? Also, it looks like he's wearing lipstick in the pic.

SelphieT
Originally posted by Robtard
Would his hairstyle be considered "Emo" or "Emo'ish"? Also, it looks like he's wearing lipstick in the pic.

I wouldn't say it fits with that trend. His hair is just......the average of a kid who I guess doesn't fit in much.

He just has bright lips.

Robtard
I wouldn't say it fits with that trend. His hair is just......the average of a kid who I guess doesn't fit in much.

He just has bright lips.

I wasn't really going anywhere with that, just blurting.

Chill is correct in a sense, instead of just accepting that the kid was most likely just another nutcase shit-bag, who had insane visions on grandeur, the 'buck' will passed onto violent video games, certain types of music, guns themselves, global warming etc. etc. etc.

WrathfulDwarf
My thoughts and prayers to the victims of this tragedy.

Rogue Jedi
HIS NAME IS ROBERT HAWKINS! HIS NAME IS ROBERT HAWKINS! crylaugh

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
My thoughts and prayers to the victims of this tragedy. HA, sucker.

Wasted one thought and prayer on dead people that could have been used to solve your foreign policy crisis.

Quiero Mota

"Everyone always asks 'what music were they listening to?, what video games were they playing?', but what ever happened to just plain crazy?"

-Chris Rock on Columbine

WrathfulDwarf
HA, sucker.

Wasted one thought and prayer on dead people that could have been used to solve your foreign policy crisis.

My goodness you are sooooo cute sometimes.

*pinch cheeks*

chithappens
This is not even on local national news and I have abrely seen it on CNN. Doesn't surprise me, just kinda funny

SelphieT
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
"Everyone always asks 'what music were they listening to?, what video games were they playing?', but what ever happened to just plain crazy?"

-Chris Rock on Columbine

I like what Chris Rock's idea(featured on Bowling for Columbine) about making bullets worth 5 grand.

Man, you know how many stupid ass shootings would be prevented if that was part of the law?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

-Chris Rock on Columbine

Exactly, or, "They just wanted to do it.".

We are human, after all. I'm not sure why people refuse to accept that mindless killing is within the nature of the sane species.

-AC

Robtard
You know what AC... the gunman resembles you somewhat. You're not having visions of grandeur, are you?

Alpha Centauri
I just wanted to know what it felt like to murder some innocent people.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I just wanted to know what it felt like to murder some innocent people.

-AC Stay outta Houston.

lil bitchiness
This sort of stuff seems to happen every other month in US.

Are you REALLY surprised? I didn't think so.

SelphieT
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
This sort of stuff seems to happen every other month in US.

Are you REALLY surprised? I didn't think so.

.......what? Like shootings never happen anywhere else?

Alfheim
You know what its like turning into a trend its a damn shame and a get a feeling theres gonna be more. This is going to be a good excuse for society to be monitored even more. Whats really disgraceful is that it happened in Finland as well, losers who cant get a life decide to just shoot people instead because its easier to do.

Bardock42
.......what? Like shootings never happen anywhere else? It's no one else's national sport.

PiruBlood
this is scary shit. and it is ending up like a trend. same with female teachers banging there students. and the main question is where the hell were those teachers when i was in school?

Morning_Glory
this was on drudgereport.com....so sad

http://i19.tinypic.com/7w9m3v7.jpg

SelphieT
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
this was on drudgereport.com....so sad

http://i19.tinypic.com/7w9m3v7.jpg

Whoa, was that from surveillance cameras, for from an actual person?

lil bitchiness
It's no one else's national sport.

Tru dat.

inimalist
ummm, this kid's purpose was to get fame...

he was a troubled individual who committed a gross and unjustifiable crime...

let's not give him the same status as a Cho or a Columbine. ie, lets stop giving this ****wad what he wants. I'm not wasting another second of my life thinking about this *******.

SelphieT
I wonder why he'd think it'd be great to be famous, especially this way.

It's not famous, it's being infamous. No one is going to praise him. I dunno. Tis weird.

Morning_Glory
Whoa, was that from surveillance cameras, for from an actual person? I think the security cameras

ragesRemorse
i guess 8 is impressive. Considering it was at a mall and all. I would hope for more though. Im curious why this shooting has been covered more than the previous two mall shootings this year. I know the one was shrouded because it was a muslim doing the shooting. Maybe, because its christmas, hmmm. Virginia kid still takes the throne for biggest bad ass of the year. He lost points because his prey were pussies, but his body count made up for that

Jaime Sommers
Originally posted by inimalist
ummm, this kid's purpose was to get fame...

True, but don't forget his only reason for wanting to be 'famous' was because he felt worthless in life.

he was a troubled individual who committed a gross and unjustifiable crime...

He was troubled, I'll give you that. There has to be something terribly wrong for someone to do something like this.

let's not give him the same status as a Cho or a Columbine. ie, lets stop giving this ****wad what he wants. I'm not wasting another second of my life thinking about this *******.

A actually feel sympathy for this young man.

Instead of condemning him, and saying he was nuts/crazy etc, instead of focusing on WHAT he did, we should be asking ourselves WHY he did it.
Obviously, something was wrong in his life. No one walks into a crowded mall and kills people for no reason. He wanted to be noticed - why? Because no one noticed him in life?
He wanted to be famous - why?
Because he wanted desperatly for people to remember him.

This young man was probably ignored in life, and doing what he did meant that people would remember his name for years to come - he wanted to be remembered, not forgotten, and that is what will happen.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Jaime Sommers

This young man was probably ignored in life, and doing what he did meant that people would remember his name for years to come - he wanted to be remembered, not forgotten, and that is what will happen.

BOO FVCKING HOO. MAN UP pussy. My father beat me with a rope, smashed out my baby teeth with a shovel causing my adult teeth to grow in improperly, broke three of my ribs and my sternum. I was made a social outcast in school. I have friends that were strangled by their father. Shoved out of a moving car. Ridiculed through school. One of my friends lost three fingers in a race beating. MArtin Luther king suffered abuse from society. These people and myself grew into stable adults. It is called the cycle of life. Some are better equipped to deal with trauma than others. Survival of the fittest man.

There is no one reason that caused this shithead to lash out in brutal murder. He knew what he did was wrong. His acts were pre meditated. If he cared, he could have reached out for help. instead of helping himself. He chose to make others suffer for his trivial bullshit.

inimalist
Instead of condemning him, and saying he was nuts/crazy etc, instead of focusing on WHAT he did, we should be asking ourselves WHY he did it.

many people are socially ostracized. It is one of the most negative things a human can experience. However, most socially ostracized people do not commit these crimes.

Also, much like serial killers, people who commit these violent acts come from all walks of life. Rich/poor, popular/unpopular, ect. The media likes to talk about "red flags", but, not all shooters display them, and the majority of the people who do are not shooters.

The discussion of why that you want to get into is a validation of this child's delusional reality. The reason he did what he did was because he was crazy. And we know for a fact that this type of validation through the media (remember with Cho, how they played his tapes over and over on the 24h news stations) leads to more violence.

You can be as sympathetic for a murderer as you like, I'll save mine for the victims. As far as I am concerned, when people like this remove themselves from society and the human gene pool, we are all better for it. It is just tragic that they feel the need to take others with them.

The Grey Fox

silver_tears

A year from now no one will remember his name.
These people aren't innovative, they're not unique, and they sure as hell aren't anything new.
You pick up a gun or rifle and shoot off some shots at innocent bystanders and you think you're gonna be remembered forever??
Please, it happens so often that this could have been any number of other shootings in any number of other states/countries.

You wanna be remembered forever, cure cancer.

Bardock42
Originally posted by silver_tears
These people aren't innovative, they're not unique, and they sure as hell aren't anything new.
You pick up a gun or rifle and shoot off some shots at innocent bystanders and you think you're gonna be remembered forever??
Please, it happens so often that this could have been any number of other shootings in any number of other states/countries.

Or bomb the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building.

Easier too.

The Grey Fox

Sadly, Hitler will be remembered for ages due to what he did.

silver_tears
Originally posted by The Grey Fox

Well he was at least original.

Jaime Sommers
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
BOO FVCKING HOO. MAN UP pussy. My father beat me with a rope, smashed out my baby teeth with a shovel causing my adult teeth to grow in improperly, broke three of my ribs and my sternum. I was made a social outcast in school. I have friends that were strangled by their father. Shoved out of a moving car. Ridiculed through school. One of my friends lost three fingers in a race beating. MArtin Luther king suffered abuse from society. These people and myself grew into stable adults. It is called the cycle of life. Some are better equipped to deal with trauma than others. Survival of the fittest man.

There is no one reason that caused this shithead to lash out in brutal murder. He knew what he did was wrong. His acts were pre meditated. If he cared, he could have reached out for help. instead of helping himself. He chose to make others suffer for his trivial bullshit.

You just said it: Some are better equipped to deal with trauma than others. He wasn't, obviously.

As for: If he cared, he could have reached out for help, do you think that everyone who is depressed 'reaches out'? No.
Why won't victims of domestic violence 'reach out'? Because they are afraid, something holds them back.

Andrea Yates could have 'reached out' too - instead, she chose to drown her children. She was ****ed in the head, but she knew what she was doing, although her reasoning was different.

I never expected anyone to agree with me on what I said. I can feel more empathy for this man than anyone here, obviously.
Instead of condemning the guy, I prefer to know why someone does what they do.

Instead of saying what a ****er this guy was, and how you hope he rots in hell, isn't it important to know what caused him to act in this way?
If we know why he did it, we can work to change things, so no one else does the same thing.
For example, maybe he was bullied at school. If that was the case, get tougher on schoolyard bullying.
One abhorrent act can change things, maybe for the better. I can see that, but then, I'm looking at things from HIS point of you, whereas most are likely to just think about the victims.

chithappens
Well he was at least original.

Not at all. Hitler even gives credit for ideas for the genocide to Americans through their treatment of Native Americans

silver_tears
Originally posted by chithappens
Not at all. Hitler even gives credit for ideas for the genocide to Americans through their treatment of Native Americans

Yes, well I wasn't aware Americans used gas chambers and concentration camps.
Obviously genocide wasn't his idea...

Bardock42
Yes, well I wasn't aware Americans used gas chambers and concentration camps.
Obviously genocide wasn't his idea... Britain used concentration camps. Gas chambers were invented and used by the United States before the holocaust.

He borrowed those ideas, though, granted, he was thinking on a grand scale.

Bicnarok

Schecter
on the bright side: i just got a great idea for next years halloween costume.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by The Grey Fox

Yeah, but who wants to be remember for acting like an A-hole forever?

Reverend Axel
I can feel more empathy for this man than anyone here

What a load of shit.

Röland
Originally posted by Reverend Axel
What a load of shit.

I agree.

Jaime Sommers
Originally posted by Reverend Axel
What a load of shit.

Only because I can see things from his perspective.

Reverend Axel
Only because I can see things from his perspective. No, only because you think you do.

Quiero Mota
I like what Chris Rock's idea(featured on Bowling for Columbine) about making bullets worth 5 grand.

Man, you know how many stupid ass shootings would be prevented if that was part of the law?

Ijole guey, if a bullet was five thousand ****ing dollars, people would be melting beercans and forging their own bullets. I know I would.

SaintSmurph
Only because I can see things from his perspective. Not at all. You've made near baseless assumptions about how he felt and why he did it.

There's 1000's of kids out there just like him. I wouldn't lend them any more justification or empathy if they all went on killing sprees than I'm lending this kid.

Selphie
Anybody read the article about this in Rolling Stone mag? It was in the recent late August issue.

Extremely touching, to hear about this boy's background, and his family's background.

red g jacks
Nah, he just wanted to be famous. So...I see no reason why he should have died in vain. neither did the media apparently

dadudemon
Originally posted by Selphie
I wonder what was going through his head.

In the end, a bullet. no expression

AngryManatee
Seems like the whole mall-shooting-spree-then-suicide act is like the Macy's gift card of shooting sprees.

GlobalTechDept
What a disgrace.

shiv

a freund of yours Bardock?

jaden101
Originally posted by Selphie
That's true. I don't know why guns are just so available here. I hate that.........

Guns don't kill people...rappers do

Selphie
Originally posted by jaden101
Guns don't kill people...rappers do

Yeah probably.

Originally posted by dadudemon
In the end, a bullet. no expression

But now I know what was going through his head, so ima just brush that off.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.