How fast does the x wing go ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Ok another intresting question how fast does the X wing go ?? including light speed ??

I want to buy one stick out tongue

Sesse
Simple.

A tad slower than the shockwave from deathStars reactor.

How do we define that?

Distance from core to surface is known from the blueprints.

Now we know the distance from surface to core and the time explosion took to make it.

Now we know: v = s/t

so velocity of the shockwave is = distance / time.

Tiefighters difference can be calculated from the shockwaves total time - shockwave reaches Tiefighter time.

Sesse
Screw this! I misread the question! Happy Dance

Just figure it out!

Bens vibrating glowing batton could be used as a measurement tool for all I care. geek

fascistcrusader
1,050 k/hr sublight speed, and it has a class 1 hyperdrive.

JediRobin23
.5 past lightspeed. Dont know what that is. probably 1.5 times lightspeed = 450 000 000 meters/second

queeq
Oh no... not the technicalities...

Ushgarak
Is that a Corellian or a Naboo parsec do you think, queeq?

Tharg
Go to a Star Wars forum like Stardestroyer.net they will be able to tell you.

queeq
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Is that a Corellian or a Naboo parsec do you think, queeq?

laughing out loud

I was thinking the exact same thing. Just didn't think people in here would get it. wink

JediRobin23
Originally posted by queeq
Oh no... not the technicalities...

Why not? it can give an idea of there travel speed so we can relate it to our universal constants. If you dont like it, dont even respond

queeq
Well... Ush's parsec remark kinda referred to an interesting experience we once had a SW geeks fansite, who believed they could explain and/or rebuild all SW technology. It was....rather geeky... and dumb. It makes no sense to seriously discuss it.

Rogue Jedi
Here is some good info:

http://saxman.xwlegacy.net/Starfighters/X-wing.html

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~chrstie/gam_xvt.html

queeq
I don't think all this machinery was designed with all this supposed technological bacjground in mind.

Rogue Jedi
me neither, but they asked.

queeq
Don't answer. stick out tongue

Rogue Jedi
cant help it.

queeq
Yes, you can.

Rogue Jedi
Its like when your kid will one day ask you how babies are made.

Ushgarak
The problem is that Star Wars does not actually take place in a setting where we can compare it to any form of objective reality. Things just happen with no actual logic applied at all- Han getting to Bespin with no hyperdrive, Star Destroyers rumbling in the noiselessness of space, and fighter craft tearing around a vacuum, banking to make turns as if they were in atmosphere.

Speeds are exactly one such thing. The idea of a speed limit in space makes very little sense until you are at ridiculous extremes. Yet most modern day jet fighters go faster than the sublight speeds given for an X-Wing.

So when you try and go in-depth into analysing it, all you really end up with is a load of gumf and queeq and myself found the extremes to which some people were preoared to argue about such a completely arbitrary concept rather amusing.

You have to abandon any pretence that this can be analysed and rationalised. it's just a load of dumb fun.

Sesse
What if those "max speeds" are only recommendations to ensure turns within reasonable tolerances?

For example, the power of the engines can make the craft change direction within X meters at the traveling speed of Y?

Then again this was rationalization...

Only one I could think of. geek

queeq
Ush has spoken. Amen.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Sesse
What if those "max speeds" are only recommendations to ensure turns within reasonable tolerances?

For example, the power of the engines can make the craft change direction within X meters at the traveling speed of Y?

Then again this was rationalization...

Only one I could think of. geek

Indeed.

And this issue reveals the whole problem behind scientific analysis of the subject.

Because again, if those are tolerances, the engineering is pretty awful for a sci-fi galaxy because, as I say, most modern fighters go faster than that. Those speeds ar appallingly low.

But we 'know' those are the rough speeds as that is how fast they fly around in the action scnes, and more tellingly how fast they go past other ships.

Which they kinda HAVE to do because there is nothing more boring than a fight where everyone involved is moving so fast that we can never see them and they never see each other; the fight wouldn;t be located in any one place as we are used to.

Which in turn leads us to the point- Star Wars is driven by what is artistically and dramatically appropriate, not by what makes any sense. It would be much the worse for trying to make the kind of sense that could be analysed.

When George Lucas completed his first rough assembly of the shot A New Hope scenes before effects went in, he used old World War II footage of aeroplanes to stand in for the X-Wing scenes that would be finished later. When those planes broke for attack, they turned into a banking dive first. That always looks good, and so GL had the X-Wings do the same when he did the special effects shots. THAT is the logic of Star Wars.

So yeah. When people try and make a scientific analysis of that regard, what you actually end up with are several dozen different ideas and people willing to start wars of their own to defend their 'correct' interpreation. It's mad. And every single piece of reference material you can find- offical or otherwise- is simply making an arbitrary guess in the same way.

Rogue Jedi
they go REALLY FAST...lets just leave it at that.

JediRobin23
They say there are 22 constants in our universe that we have measured and prove to be valid. The Star wars universe may have different constants then ours. If Lucas can come up with these constants, then he can have his own physical universe. Therefore, Hans quick trip to bespin without the hyperdrive, etc. can be explained according to his universe.

Your right, we cant explain star wars with our constants because it wont work. Bottom line is, Lucas should have studied his physics better in order to be more accurate.

queeq
Indeed.

And this issue reveals the whole problem behind scientific analysis of the subject.

Because again, if those are tolerances, the engineering is pretty awful for a sci-fi galaxy because, as I say, most modern fighters go faster than that. Those speeds ar appallingly low.

But we 'know' those are the rough speeds as that is how fast they fly around in the action scnes, and more tellingly how fast they go past other ships.

Which they kinda HAVE to do because there is nothing more boring than a fight where everyone involved is moving so fast that we can never see them and they never see each other; the fight wouldn;t be located in any one place as we are used to.

Which in turn leads us to the point- Star Wars is driven by what is artistically and dramatically appropriate, not by what makes any sense. It would be much the worse for trying to make the kind of sense that could be analysed.

When George Lucas completed his first rough assembly of the shot A New Hope scenes before effects went in, he used old World War II footage of aeroplanes to stand in for the X-Wing scenes that would be finished later. When those planes broke for attack, they turned into a banking dive first. That always looks good, and so GL had the X-Wings do the same when he did the special effects shots. THAT is the logic of Star Wars.

So yeah. When people try and make a scientific analysis of that regard, what you actually end up with are several dozen different ideas and people willing to start wars of their own to defend their 'correct' interpreation. It's mad. And every single piece of reference material you can find- offical or otherwise- is simply making an arbitrary guess in the same way.

And what's worse... people start thinking that SW technology is grounded in reality, that it's really possible. THey forget that Sw is a simple fairy tale... the tech stuff is meant to look good and be enjoyable. SW is not Star Trek.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by JediRobin23
They say there are 22 constants in our universe that we have measured and prove to be valid. The Star wars universe may have different constants then ours. If Lucas can come up with these constants, then he can have his own physical universe. Therefore, Hans quick trip to bespin without the hyperdrive, etc. can be explained according to his universe.

Your right, we cant explain star wars with our constants because it wont work. Bottom line is, Lucas should have studied his physics better in order to be more accurate.

No, you've totally missed the point. The bottom line is that you shouldn't care.

queeq
Exactly. Just sit down and enjoy the ride.

Sesse
You know, it would be really sad if this was the FIRST issue that would come up after seeing the whole saga... laughing

queeq
Very. laughing out loud

Rogue Jedi
No, you've totally missed the point. The bottom line is that you shouldn't care. exactly. like who cares how a lightsaber works? who cares about whats inside a blaster? just watch it, enjoy, and go to sleep.

queeq
And wake up when ANH starts.

Rogue Jedi
blasphemy.

General G
And wake up when ANH starts.

What?! That would be the first of the OT, you would never wake up!

JediRobin23
No, you've totally missed the point. The bottom line is that you shouldn't care.

Forget your point! It makes it fun to compare star wars to real life

Rogue Jedi
sorta ruins the movies.

Sesse
Or do the movies ruin our real lives?

Rogue Jedi
depends on the person.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by JediRobin23
Forget your point! It makes it fun to compare star wars to real life

No, it really isn't. queeq and I have seen the petty ridiculousness and flaming that that thinking leads to. It's horrible. Spare yourself that.

queeq
But err... it's fun for us, Ush. wink More geeks to make fun of.

General G
And fun for standbyers.

queeq
Errmm.. no.

General G
For me it can be.

queeq
Errmm.. no.

General G
And why not?

queeq
Because.

General G
Not a good enough reason.

queeq
It is for me. Just like I have reason to close this thread.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.