Churches against the bible?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bardiel13
Matthew 6:6 states that prayer should be done strictly in private. Matthew 6:5 goes as far as to call those who pray in temples hypocrites. All you chruch goers are goin' to HEEEELLLL!

inimalist
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Finding Bible quotes to make some ridiculous point is nothing new.

So lulz and all, but this thread is either a joke or not a whole lot of thought went into it.

Deja~vu
It's speaking of hypocrites who pray out loud so that others think they are pious or righteous. Everything they are not. The scriptures go as far to say that you should cover your head with your clothes, like pulling them up and over.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Bardiel13
Matthew 6:6 states that prayer should be done strictly in private. Matthew 6:5 goes as far as to call those who pray in temples hypocrites. All you chruch goers are goin' to HEEEELLLL! Wow. Someone pulled that out of context. Good job.

Bardiel13
Originally posted by Deja~vu
It's speaking of hypocrites who pray out loud so that others think they are pious or righteous. Everything they are not. The scriptures go as far to say that you should cover your head with your clothes, like pulling them up and over.

I've been to several church sermons and all prayers I have seen are spoken.

Bardiel13
Originally posted by Nellinator
Wow. Someone pulled that out of context. Good job.
What context is it supposed to be in, then?

inimalist
I've been to several church sermons and all prayers I have seen are spoken.

yes, religious practice changes over the course of 2000 years.

I also think you might be confusing the prayers and hymns of a service with personal prayer. Because when I was raised Anglican, we prayed silently when we were speaking directly to God.

What context is it supposed to be in, then?

the section is clearly about using faith and religion as an item of status and vanity.

Bardiel13
Originally posted by inimalist
yes, religious practice changes over the course of 2000 years.

I also think you might be confusing the prayers and hymns of a service with personal prayer. Because when I was raised Anglican, we prayed silently when we were speaking directly to God.

the section is clearly about using faith and religion as an item of status and vanity.

Hmm... Catholics seem fond of that... *gasp!* Heresy!

Deja~vu
I've been to several church sermons and all prayers I have seen are spoken. Which does go againt some scriptures. I believe the scriptures are telling us in a simple and story way, that: If you have a strong desire, don't make a fool of yourself and don't do it for others to make you a PRECIOUS object of god. Pray, to pray, and there are many types of prayers.....some don't ever take words, just thoughts, and then others are different still.

Nellinator
Originally posted by inimalist
the section is clearly about using faith and religion as an item of status and vanity. Pretty much. Especially when you consider that Jesus prayed out loud directly after.

Shakyamunison
Matthew 6:6 states that prayer should be done strictly in private. Matthew 6:5 goes as far as to call those who pray in temples hypocrites. All you chruch goers are goin' to HEEEELLLL!

There are a lot of contradictions in the bible.

Blax_Hydralisk
Only if you misinterpret things wink

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Only if you misinterpret things wink

Why is your interpretation better then mine? People can rationalize anything.

lil bitchiness
Use this thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.