sentry always at 50% ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lando005
I was just doing some thinking on this matter. Sentry is a complex character due to his mental issues. Thus we have the void, two sides of the same coin, but each with a different set of abilities. So does that mean that bob isnt always fighting at 100 % because technically speaking he is only using one aspect of his true power at any one time. Even if we were to say that his energy level would remain static in either void or sentry form he's still effectivly cut in half in terms of versitility of what he can do, and as we all know versitility can make a major difference in battle. I could probably do a better job of explaining what i'm trying to say but i'm at work at the moment so i dont have enough time for that. I would like to know what you all think on the matter.

lft4ded
I understand what you are getting at. Does Sentry still actively have issues with the Void? I know that recently in MA he went all black-eyed fighted Ultron when it interupted his 'tender moment' but was that the Void or just anger?

lando005
Originally posted by lft4ded
I understand what you are getting at. Does Sentry still actively have issues with the Void? I know that recently in MA he went all black-eyed fighted Ultron when it interupted his 'tender moment' but was that the Void or just anger? not sure i'm assuming it's anger though, an maybe some level or manifestation of his void abilites

lando005
any other thoughts

Galan007
Originally posted by lando005
I was just doing some thinking on this matter. Sentry is a complex character due to his mental issues. Thus we have the void, two sides of the same coin, but each with a different set of abilities. So does that mean that bob isnt always fighting at 100 % because technically speaking he is only using one aspect of his true power at any one time. Even if we were to say that his energy level would remain static in either void or sentry form he's still effectivly cut in half in terms of versitility of what he can do, and as we all know versitility can make a major difference in battle. I could probably do a better job of explaining what i'm trying to say but i'm at work at the moment so i dont have enough time for that. I would like to know what you all think on the matter. So the idea you're proposing is that Sentry perpetually uses the power of a meager 500,000 exploding Suns?

F*cking puss. none

SuperiorTech
Originally posted by Galan007
So the idea you're proposing is that Sentry perpetually uses the power of a meager 500,000 exploding Suns?

F*cking puss. none

laughing out loud

lando005
Originally posted by Galan007
So the idea you're proposing is that Sentry perpetually uses the power of a meager 500,000 exploding Suns?

F*cking puss. none did you even bother to read what i posted?

Tharg
Well, it's a thought.

Well done thumb up

Maybe a writer will pick up on this idea.

lando005
Originally posted by Tharg
Well, it's a thought.

Well done thumb up

Maybe a writer will pick up on this idea. thanks

Galan007
Originally posted by lando005
did you even bother to read what i posted? No.

Just read the title. smile

WrathfulDwarf
My only comment is this...

Why didn't Sentry just lifted WWH into a distant planet...smack his ass with his great powers....fight over...Sentry wins.

Either way you look at it...Sentry drop the ball big time.

lando005
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

Why didn't Sentry just lifted WWH into a distant planet...smack his ass with his great powers....fight over...Sentry wins.

Either way you look at it...Sentry drop the ball big time. he's crazy what can we say, anyways i'm only interested in his abilities

lando005
i also saw a post where some one commented that sentry is effectively as powerful as bob wants him to be, any thoughts on that?

Symmetric Chaos

Maybe he just couldn't . . .

Inhuman

Like I said before...
Sentry is overated but in the fight with hulk it seams he had a change of heart when he was exchanging words with hulk. Maybe he just gave up in that fight based on what hulk told him shifty

King Kandy

Because that fight was total bullshit. Nothing more, nothing less.

iceman24567
Originally posted by King Kandy
Because that fight was total bullshit. Nothing more, nothing less. What did you expect even Strange jobbed to a defeat by all mean The Sentry > WWH.

lando005
let's just leave wwh out of this that whole even was staurated with pis

Alfheim
No Wolverine is always at 50 percent because every time he gets beaten its because his HF is depleted. big grin

grey fox
I find the Void to be a Billion times more intresting a character then Sentry. Aside from his mental issues and pwning of Creel I've seen nothing that impresses me.

Alfheim
Originally posted by grey fox
I find the Void to be a Billion times more intresting a character then Sentry. Aside from his mental issues and pwning of Creel I've seen nothing that impresses me.

You would like the void more. You just love crazy. stick out tongue

grey fox
Originally posted by Alfheim
You would like the void more. You just love crazy. stick out tongue

Indeed I do.

I mean, this is just kickass...look........

http://www.leaderslair.com/sentry/sentry1pic1.gif

As symbolism goes it isn't very sublte but its bluntness brings a new look to Sentry as you realise how TWISTED the Void truly is. The awesome Art helps as well.

Alfheim
Indeed I do.

I mean, this is just kickass...look........

As symbolism goes it isn't very sublte but its bluntness brings a new look to Sentry as you realise how TWISTED the Void truly is. The awesome Art helps as well.

Ermmm I cant see nothin. no expression

grey fox

Alfheim

Well I see where you comiong from but thats not that twisted.

*T*
Whats that from?

grey fox
Well I see where you comiong from but thats not that twisted.

The background, look at it. I believe it is meant to represent more of the Sentries 'soul' in a sense.

Alfheim
The background, look at it. I believe it is meant to represent more of the Sentries 'soul' in a sense.

bbbbbbboring.

grey fox
bbbbbbboring.

Hmmmm....

Here then.

http://www.unc.edu/~jmspille/images/awesome3.jpg

Amuse yourself smile

Rewmac
This Sentry thing is annoying. They asay they wanna depower him now coz he is too strong and all, but since he appeared he proved to be junk...I mean we saw more powerful heroes in the MU then him and yet still they wanna mess up another character.

Alfheim
Hmmmm....

Here then.

Amuse yourself smile

Is it me is there some hostility there? no expression

Rewmac
Hmmmm....

Here then.

Amuse yourself smile 31

llagrok
Originally posted by Rewmac
This Sentry thing is annoying. They asay they wanna depower him now coz he is too strong and all, but since he appeared he proved to be junk...I mean we saw more powerful heroes in the MU then him and yet still they wanna mess up another character.

I agree.

I don't mind if they introduce him as this insanely powerful character, but when they do they shouldn't make him perform so poorly. I would much rather have him just walk all over everyone instead of giving him some ridiculously high feats and then some random low ones.

Laminator_X
WWH had a central conceit of PIS that sooner or later, almost everyone will try to punch it out with the Hulk and loose, despite having other more prudent options, simply because the Hulk is the one whose name is on the cover. Stark and Strange both choosing tactics that rely on close quarter brawling for example.

Where Bob was concerned however, I think it might be more legitimate CIS in play. He was clearly in the middle of a neurotic episode before he even left the house. Acting agoraphobic while in Sentry form is particularly out extreme. Usually Bob is the phobic persona while the Sentry is more confident and capable.

WRT the OP's question, I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that there is a 50/50 split between the energies that each persona can bring to bear. However, we have seen a shift in the amount of power (and ruthlessness) that each persona brings to bear based on Bob's mental state.

Compare Void's "Silver Age" appearances as a man in a coat kidnapping the Avengers or controlling the Kingpin to his two attacks on NYC when Bob was in an overall depressive state. In the second Sentry mini, they're more-or-less evenly matched with the Sentry gaining the upper hand as Bob is coming to grips with his illness. He is by no means well though. (Here's hoping for a Void-led Master's of Evil in a future MA arc.)

Alfheim
Originally posted by llagrok
I agree.

I don't mind if they introduce him as this insanely powerful character, but when they do they shouldn't make him perform so poorly. I would much rather have him just walk all over everyone instead of giving him some ridiculously high feats and then some random low ones.

Oh my god I agree. The problem is that they want to create an insanely powerful character but the problem is that insanely powerful characters are not interesting. So in the end they try to do a balancing act

If they make him insanely powerful all the time its boring, but they want to remind us hes powerful with the odd random uber, mega power feat. I guess his mental problems are there to stop him from becoming too powerful, every once in a while he conquers his fears and thats when the power comes out.

Originally posted by Laminator_X
WWH had a central conceit of PIS that sooner or later, almost everyone will try to punch it out with the Hulk and loose, despite having other more prudent options, simply because the Hulk is the one whose name is on the cover. Stark and Strange both choosing tactics that rely on close quarter brawling for example.

I dunno man I think Strange tried other stuff apart from Zom.

King Kandy
It seems like Marvel designed Sentry to see if they could make a completely overpowered character work on personality alone. And then they start straying from that now because they have him lose all the time. It seems like he was conceved as a guy who would win every fight with overwhelming ease, but not anymore.

Disappear
rewmac, what's this "they're thinking of depowering him" bit? is that based off lindy's question to stark in the latest MA? because that's not really a "they" or anything besides a line of dialogue/potential plot point right now.

llagrok
Originally posted by Disappear
rewmac, what's this "they're thinking of depowering him" bit? is that based off lindy's question to stark in the latest MA? because that's not really a "they" or anything besides a line of dialogue/potential plot point right now.

Welcome back.

You've been missed.

Laminator_X
I guess his mental problems are there to stop him from becoming too powerful, every once in a while he conquers his fears and thats when the power comes out.

Absolutely. When his head's in the game (1st issue of the second mini, vs the Collective, his Civil War issue of NA, NA annual 1) he's awe-inspiring. When the crazy's winning out, not so much.

I dunno man I think Strange tried other stuff apart from Zom.

Yes, but not much. Head trip was Plan A. That didn't work. Instead of doing any number of useful things like rescuing others, removing Hulk's wizards from the field as a prelude to neutralizing the spaceship/army, or simply intervening quietly here and there to lower the intensity of the conflict, Strange goes strait to the Zom cocktail as Plan B.

That really should've been well into the back half of the alphabet, preceded by any number of things that didn't involve drinking the essence of a world-destroying primordial demon and risking it getting loose on top of anything that might go wrong while brawling with the Hulk.

Juntai
Absolutely. When his head's in the game (1st issue of the second mini, vs the Collective, his Civil War issue of NA, NA annual 1) he's awe-inspiring. When the crazy's winning out, not so much.

Yes, but not much. Head trip was Plan A. That didn't work. Instead of doing any number of useful things like rescuing others, removing Hulk's wizards from the field as a prelude to neutralizing the spaceship/army, or simply intervening quietly here and there to lower the intensity of the conflict, Strange goes strait to the Zom cocktail as Plan B.

That really should've been well into the back half of the alphabet, preceded by any number of things that didn't involve drinking the essence of a world-destroying primordial demon and risking it getting loose on top of anything that might go wrong while brawling with the Hulk. What do you mean,? Strange can beat anyone with prep, even the Infinity Gauntlet.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

lando005

Where Bob was concerned however, I think it might be more legitimate CIS in play. He was clearly in the middle of a neurotic episode before he even left the house. Acting agoraphobic while in Sentry form is particularly out extreme. Usually Bob is the phobic persona while the Sentry is more confident and capable.

WRT the OP's question, I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that there is a 50/50 split between the energies that each persona can bring to bear. However, we have seen a shift in the amount of power (and ruthlessness) that each persona brings to bear based on Bob's mental state.

Compare Void's "Silver Age" appearances as a man in a coat kidnapping the Avengers or controlling the Kingpin to his two attacks on NYC when Bob was in an overall depressive state. In the second Sentry mini, they're more-or-less evenly matched with the Sentry gaining the upper hand as Bob is coming to grips with his illness. He is by no means well though. (Here's hoping for a Void-led Master's of Evil in a future MA arc.) I wasn't saying that there was a 50/50 split in power, but rather ability. Sentry and Void are just two aspects of the same being yet they both manifest different abilities. So essentially we've only seen about 50% of what Bob could do at any given time. If marvel decides to have him get over his fears later and repair his fractured mind then the full extent of what he can do would be completely off the charts.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.