20 Best Revenge Movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
According to Entertainment Weekly (not the most reliable source, but still interesting).

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20165601_1,00.html

Anyway, feel free to critique their list and post your own (doesn't have to be 20 films long).

Enjoy!

apoc001
What about Ghost?

papabeard
Dead Mans Shoes

jaden101
Originally posted by papabeard
Dead Mans Shoes

i 2nd that

and the vengence trilogy

apoc001
Rocky IV. Hahaha

WrathfulDwarf
Very good list but lacks some horror titles.

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarfEvilTwin

Last House on the Left
Hostel
The Hills Have Eyes
Orca
etc...

Yeah...

MildPossession
Godfather
V For Vendetta
The Crow
Straw Dogs
Memento
Kill Bill

Above are the only ones I like in that list.

But yeah no Dead Man's Shoes...

Man on Fire...
Oldboy...
The Virgin Spring...

LeeLondon
Park Chan-Wook's "Vengeance trilogy",
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Oldboy
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

All exceptional.

WrathfulDwarf
Enter the Dragon should also be included.

Well, maybe...

Discos
2 that instantly hit me are Kill Bill and Man on Fire, I prefer Kill Bill more though.

erm....not much more that I can think of personally, V for Vendetta was a great movie as well.

haha Rocky IV is actually a very good suggestion.

Discos - "You vill lose"

BackFire
Irreversible

Toku King
No love for Punisher?

Mark Question
Hamlet is # 1.

I'd say: 8mm, Johnny Handsome, Batman, Conan the Barbarian, High Plains Drifter, Revenge, Get Carter, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, are pretty good revenge flicks.

The Hawk
The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) is my all-time favorite revenge flick.

Plutonic_Hat90
Am I the only one here who hated Kill bill?

Röland
Originally posted by Plutonic_Hat90
Yes.

Anyone have any info on Straw Dogs? I've never seen or heard of it.

super pr*xy
Originally posted by Discos
2 that instantly hit me are Kill Bill and Man on Fire...

likewise.. man on fire was the shiznit. love KB1. never go that into KB2. maybe it was the soundtrack. "battle without honor or humanity" and "twisted nerve" are two of the most reconizable tunes ever.

also, robocop come to mind. we need a new robocop movie. not a remake though, a sequel.. cause the sequels suck, especially the 3rd one.

Plutonic_Hat90

Bardock42
Punisher.

ragesRemorse
I'm actually impressed to see the Crow and Count of Monte Cristo on that list.

I agree with Mild Possession. Man on Fire and Old Boy should definitely up there.

mad max also deserves a nod

ragesRemorse

tom_servo
Punisher was good, but Godfather at 18 on the list? It should at least be in the top five.

coolmovies
Commando is the best

brocklanders
was the limey on that list? i didn't feel like reading it, but the movie was awesome

mr.smiley
I spit on your grave

chico
Originally posted by mr.smiley
I spit on your grave

That's the first movie that comes to mind when I think revenge movie. I have no argument with Death Wish at number one though.

Kazenji
Originally posted by super pr*xy

also, robocop come to mind. we need a new robocop movie. not a remake though, a sequel.. cause the sequels suck, especially the 3rd one .

I'd blame that more on studio interference the, Frank miller wrote the scripts for the sequals and the studio ****ed around with them.

Alpha Centauri
In what sense?

For excitement, Kill Bill. Has to be.

For rooting-for-the-person-getting-revenge; Kill Bill or The Crow.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oldboy. Not a movie that I'd watch again, but that should be in the top 3 at least; as a story of revenge, you can't beat what that guy had to go through. Also, The Princess Bride should be near the top of any greatest movie list, not just a revenge-themed list.

Alpha Centauri
I agree with that *Points*.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yay me.

punchcrunklove
So it hasn't officially come out, by I caught Iron Cross with Roy Scheider at a special screening at the Laemmle in LA a few months ago, and it is rockin cool. A guy finds out the nazi who killed his family lives upstairs from his son in Germany 60 years after escaping nazi-occupied poland. Check out the awesome trailer on google, search "iron cross trailer" under videos

jaden101
Isn't Roy Scheider dead?...Pretty amazing feat to be still making films...Mind you...Tupac has brought out about 10 albums since he got murdered.

KingD19
Law Abiding Citizen

Paparazzi

The Nuul
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!

xJLxKing
Godfather and V for Vendetta

Kazenji
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
In what sense?

Changed parts so it works more for the studio.

steverules_2
Revenge of the Sith dur

Serge
In terms of originality, complexity and artistry?

Memento, hands down.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Serge
In terms of originality, complexity and artistry?

Memento, hands down.

Really?

How was that a revenge flick? We THOUGHT it was, but it wasn't really a revenge flick once the story unfolded.

RocasAtoll
It can still count as a revenge flick since he got revenge on Teddy for using him.

Oldboy should be considered in at least the top 5. It's a great movie overall, but just as a revenge movie, I really find it hard to think of another movie that tops it.

Serge
Originally posted by dadudemon
Really?

How was that a revenge flick? We THOUGHT it was, but it wasn't really a revenge flick once the story unfolded.

It was a revenge themed flick, regardless of whether or not it was "really" about the protagonist getting his revenge.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Bardock42
Punisher. Underrated comic book film.

Assuming your talking about the 2004 adaption.

Myth
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
It can still count as a revenge flick since he got revenge on Teddy for using him.

I think it would be a revenge flick even without that because that is his whole driving motivation the whole film. But yeah, he also got revenge on Teddy.

buttterfly320

MooCowofJustice
Is it bad that I haven't seen any of those movies except for V for Vendetta and The Crow?

Myth
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Is it bad that I haven't seen any of those movies except for V for Vendetta and The Crow?

Depends on your age. If you are pushing 20 or older, then you have some catching up to do. If you are younger, then I understand, and you still have some catching up to do, lol.

MooCowofJustice
I'm 18. A lot of those movies I haven't heard of. And the ones I have heard of had never sounded interesting.

Menetnashté
Definitely not a favorite list of mine. Personally I would've thrown unforgiven, a few dollars more, Mad Max, The Patriot, even the italian job would've been a nice edition. And Princess Bride should have been further up on the list

Myth
I'm 18. A lot of those movies I haven't heard of. And the ones I have heard of had never sounded interesting.

The ones I would recommend include:
Princess Bride (this one I don't really like myself, but many do and at the very least it is referenced a lot and it helps for social purposes just to know what people are talking about... or that could just be because I'm a little older)
Godfather
Munich
Cape Fear
Star Trek II (if you like Star Trek stuff at all)
Straw Dogs
Memento (definitely watch this one, IMO)
Count of Monte Cristo
Kill Bill

Some of the others I have not scene, but I'm sure several of the ones I haven't seen are pretty good based on the quality of the other movies listed. Especially Deathwish, this list makes me intrigued to see that.

Myth
You know, I was just thinking and had to re-check. I was wrong about seeing that Cape Fear. It was the remake I have seen and liked. I temporarily forgot it was a remake and thought it was the one with DeNiro.

MooCowofJustice
I like Star Trek, but I'm more of a TNG fan.

Menetnashté
Well if you haven't seen Wrath of Khan you should, a lot of the old star trek movies are awesome, because Kirk and Bones are badass

Myth

I grew up more of a TNG fan too, but Star Trek 2 is (slightly) better than any TNG movie. I'd say give it a chance. The only people I know that don't like it are people who can't stand anything Star Trek.

I view the Star Trek movies as this:
1. Star Trek (new one)
2. Star Trek II
3. First Contact

First Contact and Star Trek II may be interchangeable based on my mood.

Impediment
Oldboy and The Crow come to mind.

HighwayMan
The Mask of Zorro is a big one that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned.

The Nuul
True Grit and Unforgiven are great revenge movies.

dadudemon
Originally posted by The Hawk
The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) is my all-time favorite revenge flick.

Holy shit, yes. Forgot about that one.

I'll look through the list, the thread, and compile my list.

There's a couple that I'm supposed to see on rec. from Jaden and Backfire...so I'm betting those will hit my top 20, so my list may change in a couple of months when they come in the mail.

Kaibs
I was just going to mention that movie DDM. Love it. The book as well.

cherylfoster

Esau Cairn
Payback & Edge Of Darkness both with Mel Gibson.

Payback had alot more action & humor than the latter.

Has anyone mentioned Taken yet with Liam Neeson? Brilliant film but more of an avenging story line than a revenge one.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Payback & Edge Of Darkness both with Mel Gibson.

Payback had alot more action & humor than the latter.

Has anyone mentioned Taken yet with Liam Neeson? Brilliant film but more of an avenging story line than a revenge one.

smokin' Taken was good,Think I have seen Payback but cant remember it,but Edge of Darkness was Lame in my opinion,didn't like it at all.

Esau Cairn
Payback's worth seeing.

Another great revenge film is Hard Candy with Ellen Page (originally based on a stage-play).

Page plays jail-bait only to turn the tables around.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Payback's worth seeing.

Another great revenge film is Hard Candy with Ellen Page (originally based on a stage-play).

Page plays jail-bait only to turn the tables around.

smile Yeah,Hard Candy was pretty solid

SarahConnor
The best revenge movie you haven't seen yet is the Australian film, The Horseman . A father exacts terrible revenge against the men responsible for his daughter's death.

Be warned. This film is not for the faint of heart. It is brutal and disturbing, but excellently done. Actor Peter Marshall gives a tour de force performance as the grieving and vengeful father. My heart almost stopped during the last 10 minutes.

Esau Cairn
Speaking of Australian films, RED HILL is another decent revenge-themed film.

ADarksideJedi
Too much to name but I have one.

Sweeny Todd

elfirrepins
Fight Club.

Darth Creasy
Can't decide between Man on Fire and Gladiator...Maximus endured so much more emotionally than Creasy, but Creasy made so many more pay.

Plus, Man on Fire gave us one of the great lines in movie history "Revenge, is a meal best served cold".

troy1984
Shawshank Redemption wins - it's not even close.

Esau Cairn
Fight Club & Shawshank???

Revenge films...really?

Blinky
Originally posted by Plutonic_Hat90

As long as you take it as a comedy, it's ok.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Blinky
As long as you take it as a comedy, it's ok.

True. But that's the general outlook most Tarantino fans should base their outlook. Just with a sense of nostalgia and class.

Kill Bill was a fine film and it stands strong with it's Western sequel. I just wish it was released as a single film as originally requested by Tarantino.
An epic story of revenge.

But did it suck! Hell no!

Blinky
Well I really don't see how anybody can call some of the stuff Tarantino wrote (True Romance, Reservoir Dogs, Killing Zoe) intentional comedies.

As for Kill Bill, there are people out there who actually take the movie seriously. Usually, these are people who haven't seen enough martial arts films to realize that choreography alone is really awkward, silly, choppy and laughable as hell. Really hard to get past, for somebody who notices.

Sure, you can crack a smile at the cheese of 70-'s-80's kung-fu films, but at least the choreography was marvelous in most.

the ninjak
I consider those films to be seen as comedies to a degree. Black Comedies but funny regardless of the serious atmospheres the films situated themselves in.

Yeah I agree. I've seen enough MA films to not judge them so harshly on their feats but the overall film's vibe.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Davehead
Rocky IV. Hahaha
Rocky fighting and beating a superhuman.That would have been pretty hysterical if they had listed that one. laughing laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing

kbkb33
Very good movie. More of an emotional uncovering movie than an action one, Seven Days. It's in french, i believe supposed to be in Canada near Quebec. So good. And if you watch it, you're a liar if you say you didn't cry at the last bathroom scene.

the ninjak
In no particular order off the top of my head.-

-Firestarter.
-Robocop.
-I spit on your grave/Demented.
-King of the Kickboxers.
-No Retreat No Surrender.
-Carrie.
-The Crow.
-Man on Fire.
-The Count of Monte Cristo.
-Kill Bill films.
-One Armed Boxer.
-Creepshow 2- Wooden Indian Story. (scraping the barrel)
-Last House on the Left.
-Cape Fear. (both versions were great)
-Commando.
-Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
-South Park (the ep where Cartman gets his bully to eat his parents.)

There's my 20.

Bentley
Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla stick out tongue

Esau Cairn
Hannah.

A very far fetched plot but some great action sequences.

siriuswriter
The Usual Suspects. If thought of chronologically, it's full of revenge, bigger and bigger revenges to avenge the previous offense.
First the cops take a little revenge on the guys pulled into the lineup, then the guys in the lineup decide to take revenge by 'catching' the corrupt cops' money. Then Keyser Soze's association wants revenge for not getting their money through one of the corrupt cops. Revenge on Keyser Soze's operation for daring to try to pick up the gang's services. Revenge revenge revenge revenge revenge.

And how does it end? Everyone DEAD. Except Keyser Soze. big grin

rudester
Lady Vengeance - One of thee best revenge movies I've seen in a long time. The story follows a young girl who is caught to be the killer of a little kid, she was at the scene of the crime and is found guilty. After many years of being in jail she is finally found free with a bunch of protester riots.

She is determined to catch the real killer and seeks justice when.....She finds the killer and kidnaps him... (the best killing in the history of killings) South Korean film with subtitles but you can understand whats going on.

http://www.samiari.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ladyvengeance.jpg

jonydec
in no particular purchase
topsy turvy
sunlight,
faithless
AI,
mulholland, dr.
sight, large turn
amores, perros
time obtained,
missing, in interpretation
y tu parents, tambien,
Thirteenth enthusiast
keeping personal he,
hanabi
strike of the clones/ vengeance of the sith,
master kong
before sundown,
united states attractiveness
werckmeister, harmonies,
almost popular
gangs of NY
Personally, I would like to see "King Kong Before Sunset" and "Almost
Famous Gangs of New You are able to."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.