Is "Blackest Night" and the upcomming crisis the same thing?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AcousticDoc
Just curious. Seems like the sinestrocorps saga was so huge that it deserved to be on a crisis level itself.

Tron
Nope. The Blackest Night is Geoff Johns' brainchild, and shouldn't have that much to do with Final Crisis (maybe partially, but not a lot). Morrison will be working on Final Crisis.

Nod
So thats ANOTHER big event planned.

Damn.

KK the Great
These recent years will be remembered as the event era by fans a decade from now, similar to how we think of the early 90's in terms of big pockets and chrome covers and whatnot.

Nod
Originally posted by KK the Great
These recent years will be remembered as the event era by fans a decade from now, similar to how we think of the early 90's in terms of big pockets and chrome covers and whatnot.

Sounds about right.

Juntai
Originally posted by AcousticDoc
Just curious. Seems like the sinestrocorps saga was so huge that it deserved to be on a crisis level itself. Crisis is 2008, BLackest night is 2009.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Nod
So thats ANOTHER big event planned.

Damn.

It's more of another GL event. FC and BN are separate.

Well, that's just speculation...however, I would love to see Barry back. The event still remains cloudy at the moment.

Nod
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
It's more of another GL event. FC and BN are separate.

Honestly Barry back is awesome.

How can he be dead know, hes in that world with Wally (well he was) isn't he?

But meh I count it as a big event when it includes everyone one way or another. Maybe not in their books but still a event. Like a mini big event.

grey fox
I'd like BK to tie-in with FC.

Galan007
Originally posted by grey fox
I'd like BK to tie-in with FC. Burger-King? ermmhappy

Val
Some people really need to let Barry Allen go. The guy has been "coming back" for years now.

Nod
Originally posted by Val
Some people really need to let Barry Allen go. The guy has been "coming back" for years now.

We need a full return. yes

In fact bring ALL the Flashes back. shifty

Flash Corps vs GL Corps. eek!

nvrbeenwthagirl
Originally posted by Nod
We need a full return. yes

In fact bring ALL the Flashes back. shifty

Flash Corps vs GL Corps. eek!

As iF DC isn't already lacking Originality.

Copies of every hero in the mutliverse.

A billion Superman copies
A few Hundred amazon copies
Batman trainees everywhere
Gl's everywhere.
Flashes everywhere.
Martian's everywhere.
Hell the only guy who isn't copied so much is aquaman out of the original 7.

grey fox
Originally posted by Galan007
Burger-King? ermmhappy

Hey, he's one creepy Mofo.

roughrider
Originally posted by nvrbeenwthagirl
As iF DC isn't already lacking Originality.

Copies of every hero in the mutliverse.

A billion Superman copies
A few Hundred amazon copies
Batman trainees everywhere
Gl's everywhere.
Flashes everywhere.
Martian's everywhere.
Hell the only guy who isn't copied so much is aquaman out of the original 7.

There's a reason for that. shifty

llagrok
Green Lanterns everywhere?

This is a problem?

Soljer
Originally posted by llagrok
Green Lanterns everywhere?

This is a problem?

Yes. Then they get used as fodder that much more often.

Minge
Originally posted by Val

Like Bucky or Jason Todd was?

Tron
Originally posted by Minge
Like Bucky or Jason Todd was?

Not even a close comparison. They only recently brought back Bucky and Jason. Barry Allen comes and goes almost every other year.

Minge
Originally posted by Tron
Not even a close comparison. They only recently brought back Bucky and Jason. Barry Allen comes and goes almost every other year.

Interestingly it's been a few years for Bucky now.

Martian_mind
Same for Jason.

Also,i thought Barry was brought back in the JLA/JSA crossover this year.If you look at the wand Braniac five is holding at the end a flash face is trapped inside.

Minge
I saw that.

UniOmni
This shit is ridiculous.

I'm not gonna keep on supporting these huge blockbuster events, with little downtime in between.

An event is no longer an event when you've got mini-event buildups out the wazoo.

The big two better be damn glad Demonoid is done, cuz they'd nvr see a penny except for the trades.

Val
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Same for Jason.

Also,i thought Barry was brought back in the JLA/JSA crossover this year.If you look at the wand Braniac five is holding at the end a flash face is trapped inside.
That was a Flash but it wasn't Barry.

And Sinestro Corps wasn't a big event. Quit crying.

UniOmni
Originally posted by Val
That was a Flash but it wasn't Barry.

And Sinestro Corps wasn't a big event. Quit crying.

PHUCK YOU LATRINE LOVER!!

And SC wasn't a big event, but it does fall cleanly under the label of mini-event leading up to an even bigger event.

DEBUNKED!!

Val
SC didn't lead up to anything. no expression

It's a GL storyline. Outside of Superman Prime, it's hardly relevant to the rest of the DCU.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by UniOmni
This shit is ridiculous.

I'm not gonna keep on supporting these huge blockbuster events, with little downtime in between.

I'm inclined to agree. Eventually it just all runs together.

The big two better be damn glad Demonoid is done, cuz they'd nvr see a penny except for the trades.

Yeah cause everyone knows Demonoid is the only site where you can find comics shocklaugh

UniOmni
SC opens the door for Blackest Night, with all the other colors of the spectrum getting a representative corps.

It clearly says on the preview page, with the GL now having faced their greatest fears.

DEBUNKED YOU GATDAMNED EXCUSE MAKING LANTERN LOVER~!!

GO DRAW BIG GREEN GLOVES AND SCISSORS!

UniOmni
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I'm inclined to agree. Eventually it just all runs together.

Yeah cause everyone knows Demonoid is the only site where you can find comics shocklaugh

I never bothered with DC+++, so Demonoid was the best and easiest to navigate to get comics, least for me.

DCP batches, and single comic searches, i filled out many comic gaps with Demonoid at my side.

Superherovandal
Seriously what are you complaining about Uni-Omni? This is bar-none the best big event to happen to DC since well...ever. and Marvel hasn't had a storyline this good in a while either. Whilst I do agree after Final Crisis Sinestro Corps was purely a Green Lantern story and hell of an awesome storyline at that.

batdude123
I see people are overrating the Sinestro Corps War arc like usual.

Val
SC opens the door for Blackest Night, with all the other colors of the spectrum getting a representative corps.

It clearly says on the preview page, with the GL now having faced their greatest fears.

DEBUNKED YOU GATDAMNED EXCUSE MAKING LANTERN LOVER~!!

GO DRAW BIG GREEN GLOVES AND SCISSORS!
It's two years away. no expression

You'd be able to read BN without reading SC just like you can read SC without having read Rebirth. Quit being stupid.

You might as well say the Legion arc in Action Comics is an event because it spun from the Lightning Saga. Hell, why not call the Lightning Saga an event too?

Val
Originally posted by batdude123
I see people are overrating the Sinestro Corps War arc like usual.
Not everything can be as high quality as Captain Atom Armageddon.

Nod
Originally posted by Val

laughing out loud

UniOmni
Originally posted by Val

You'd be able to read BN without reading SC just like you can read SC without having read Rebirth. Quit being stupid.

You might as well say the Legion arc in Action Comics is an event because it spun from the Lightning Saga. Hell, why not call the Lightning Saga an event too?

Nobody is being stupid.

I am getting exasperated with all this buildup, and the rollercoaster sensationalism.

OT- Do you post/read Gaf?

llagrok
Originally posted by Val

Who didn't read Rebirth?

WHO!!!!

Val
Nobody is being stupid.

I am getting exasperated with all this buildup, and the rollercoaster sensationalism.

OT- Do you post/read Gaf?
When did buildup become a bad thing? no expression

And yes.

batdude123
Originally posted by Val

Except for Amazons Attack. That was a good one too.

UniOmni
Originally posted by llagrok
Who didn't read Rebirth?

WHO!!!!

People who don't enjoy a character with little deep characterization, finally getting/doing something INTERESTING, even if it was negative, to have it all be washed away by nostalgic writers..

And people who fear roaches. Especially cosmic roaches.. That shine yellow.

To Val.

I dunno, maybe it's me.

But i know after i get a real good nut off, the last thing i want a chick to do is start playfully fondling my stuff in preparation for the next one.

She might mean well, but damn it i need time in between for a piece of cake/bowl of rice and peas and the breeze of the freshly opened fridge on my bare package.

Maybe you can go round after round, but some of us are humans, nah mean?

OT - What's your username on Gaf?

Plz don't say Spywolf or LoudNinja, or worse yet, Tabris.

Val
To Val.

I dunno, maybe it's me.

But i know after i get a real good nut off, the last thing i want a chick to do is start playfully fondling my stuff in preparation for the next one.

She might mean well, but damn it i need time in between for a piece of cake/bowl of rice and peas and the breeze of the freshly opened fridge on my bare package.

Maybe you can go round after round, but some of us are humans, nah mean?

OT - What's your username on Gaf?

Plz don't say Spywolf or LoudNinja, or worse yet, Tabris.
I could see the complaint if were talking about Infinite Crisis which was followed immediately by 52 which was followed immediately by Countdown which will be followed immediately by Final Crisis which I'm sure will be followed by more shit.

GL "events" being spaced two years apart isn't really an issue.

And I don't post on GAF. It's just my favorite lurking spot on the net.

UniOmni
All that really matters is that you're not a PS3 fanboy.

That'd be the real crisis.

Val
All that really matters is that you're not a PS3 fanboy.

That'd be the real crisis.
Who says I'm not? ermmnone

UniOmni
Taste?

Val
Taste?
Well I'm not a fan of racing games and generic sci-fi shooters so that pretty much rules me out of being a 360 fanboy.

UniOmni
Well what defines the PS3?

Mind you, the Space marine thing isn't my schtick, but srpgs are.

So i go with the system that has the best ones, Nintendo.

roughrider
This shit is ridiculous.

An event is no longer an event when you've got mini-event buildups out the wazoo.

These last several years at DC remind me of a Bill Cosby comedy routine, where he tells a long, elaborate story and just when it seems he's reached the climax, states "Now - I told you that story so I could tell you this one!"
It's not enough to wake up the dead, old multiverse in Infinite Crisis; it has to be followed by 52, then Countdown, then the Sinestro Corps War, Final Crisis & then The Black Lanterns Saga - all within three years. After the original Crisis, things were stable for several years. Why DC is crossover event crazy right now - it's like Marvel in the early 90's when they kept spinning off The Infinity Gauntlet series. Guys, chill out with all the instability.

UniOmni
Marvels not any better.

Spinning from Civil War, into Planet Hulk, into Skrull Invasions?

Terrible stuff.

Not to mention Annihilation and it's crappy continuations.

Both of the big two are pretty terrible right now.

My only respite is the Blue Beetle.

SaintSmurph
Meh.

Everybody threatens to drop Marvel or DC, but they don't, even though it's not a terrible decision.

All the best stuff is in Indy Companies anyways. Or, at least, offshoots like Wildstorm.

Then just collect the good stuff from M&DC... GL issues. Immortal Iron Fist. Etc.

I pretty much get the rest illicitly, or hear about it on KMC.

Val
Originally posted by roughrider
These last several years at DC remind me of a Bill Cosby comedy routine, where he tells a long, elaborate story and just when it seems he's reached the climax, states "Now - I told you that story so I could tell you this one!"
It's not enough to wake up the dead, old multiverse in Infinite Crisis; it has to be followed by 52, then Countdown, then the Sinestro Corps War, Final Crisis & then The Black Lanterns Saga - all within three years. After the original Crisis, things were stable for several years. Why DC is crossover event crazy right now - it's like Marvel in the early 90's when they kept spinning off The Infinity Gauntlet series. Guys, chill out with all the instability.
House of M?
Planet Hulk?
World War Hulk?
Secret Invasion?
Silent War?
Civil War?
Annihilation?
Annihilation Conquest?
One More Day?
Brand New Day?
Messiah Complex?

To be fair, some of those aren't events but since we insist on calling SC an event, well, there ya go.

roughrider
It's just all the DC events are big, super-crisis sized ones - they just have become Crisis junkies. And it's like "What were we thinking - leaving Anti-Monitor dead for two decades?!" They want to make up for lost time. By contrast, Marvel had two events taking place in separate spheres - Civil War on Earth, with Annihilation taking place all through the cosmos. If DC did it, the Annihilation Wave would've reached Earth and cancelled out CW totally. DC is in such a state of flux right now, rewriting their history again, while Marvel is staying the course.

Val
laughing out loud

You guys are seriously complaining for the sake of it.

First DC has too many events (but Marvel has more). Now DC's event are too big, even though SC was hardly relevant to the DCU.

Mr. Slippyfist
Originally posted by Val
Brand New Day?
Eh?

Val
Originally posted by Mr. Slippyfist
Eh?
Spider-Man story arc but according to the logic here, it's a mega event.

UniOmni
Originally posted by Val
laughing out loud

You guys are seriously complaining for the sake of it.

First DC has too many events (but Marvel has more). Now DC's event are too big, even though SC was hardly relevant to the DCU.

Lol what?!

Anything that involves the respective Earth of either company is immensely relevant. Planet Hulk wasn't relevant until it became WWH.
Sinestro Corps War wasn't relevant until they brought it from space, to Earth where SMP fought Ion, and the Anti-Monitor touched down.

You're kidding yourself if SC Corps wasn't relevant.

And Brand New Day would fall under my mini-event label.
Annihilation isn't relevant.

All i'm saying is that if DC and Marvel had dicks, they'd be shooting blanks by now.
Tender, sore dicks with the fat hands of Quesada and Didio persistently groping for a few more dribbles.

Val
Lol what?!

Anything that involves the respective Earth of either company is immensely relevant. Planet Hulk wasn't relevant until it became WWH.
Sinestro Corps War wasn't relevant until they brought it from space, to Earth where SMP fought Ion, and the Anti-Monitor touched down.
That's some terrible logic. You know how many books could be considered events with that definition? laughing out loud

What did Anti-Monitor do while he was on Earth? He fought Green Lanterns, then got turned into a Black Lantern so he could be used in *gasp* another GL story arc. Wow. Definitely what I call a CRISIS!

Val
You're kidding yourself if SC Corps wasn't relevant.

Of course it was relevant. To the Green Lanterns.

UniOmni
Did the heroes of Earth show up en masse to deal with the event of the SC touching down?

Val
Did the heroes of Earth show up en masse to deal with the event of the SC touching down?
The heroes of Earth showed up en masse to deal with Wonder Woman's rogue gallery during the "Who Is Wonder Woman?" storyline?
Originally posted by Val
You know how many books could be considered events with that definition?

UniOmni
I dunno Val.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

I see an event as anything that calls the collective heroes of either company together to face a threat as a united front. Not just teams, but heroes en masse.

Maybe yours just need to have the Didio/Quesada stamp.

Val
I dunno Val.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

I see an event as anything that calls the collective heroes of either company together to face a threat as a united front. Not just teams, but heroes en masse.

Maybe yours just need to have the Didio/Quesada stamp.
That definition is far too loose to always consider it an event.

I just fail to see how a storyline that took place in two books, both under the Green Lantern banner, is comparable to something like Infinite Crisis or Civil War which totally took over DC and Marvel's entire comic lineup.

roughrider
The big, irritating difference is DC is using all these Crisis events to f*ck with their history & timelines - AGAIN. Marvel may be forced into this someday, but at least their events are just charting for the present, not re-setting the past.

Soljer
Originally posted by Val
That definition is far too loose to always consider it an event.

I just fail to see how a storyline that took place in two books, both under the Green Lantern banner, is comparable to something like Infinite Crisis or Civil War which totally took over DC and Marvel's entire comic lineup.

Indeed. What issues even casually MENTIONED the war?

Green Lantern. Green Lantern Corps. A passing mention in Supergirl, and a single blue beetle tie in, no?

I could see someone calling Sinestro Corps War a Lantern 'event,' considering that it tied the continuities of both Lantern books together for several issues. I could not see them calling it a 'DC Event.'

Just like Superman and Action Comics tied together for Up, Up, and Away wasn't a DC event, though I could see someone calling it a 'Superman event.'

In other words, not an event at all. erm.

UniOmni
Up, Up and Away wasn't an event because it didn't draw the collective heroes of DC together to face it. That was an arc.

I consider SC an event, in the sense that it drew the collective attention and presence of DC Earth.

It might not have been an event in the sense of it headlines every book, but it brought all the heroes together.

Just because it didn't have 50 shitty tie ins that the editors lied about in relevance, doesn't make it any less of an event.

Leastwise, not to me.

Nod
I consider it a mini event. Especially that it leads on to countdown and the villains and it drew the entire world to it.

Superherovandal
Up, Up and Away wasn't an event because it didn't draw the collective heroes of DC together to face it. That was an arc.

I consider SC an event, in the sense that it drew the collective attention and presence of DC Earth.

It might not have been an event in the sense of it headlines every book, but it brought all the heroes together.

Just because it didn't have 50 shitty tie ins that the editors lied about in relevance, doesn't make it any less of an event.

Leastwise, not to me. actually Up Up and Away did have other heroes in it. They came in to stop Luthor. So I guess thats an event too then. and the SC had the heroes in appearance. They barely did anything at all. The Green Lanterns did all the work.

Val
The big, irritating difference is DC is using all these Crisis events to f*ck with their history & timelines - AGAIN. Marvel may be forced into this someday, but at least their events are just charting for the present, not re-setting the past.
I think you're overreacting. Infinite Crisis hardly messed with the time line in the same way the original Crisis did. The most notable change to any character's history was Superman and finding out he was in the Legion.

Meanwhile, Secret Invasion is set to invalidate a ton of Marvel history. When is the last time we saw the real Black Bolt?

ExodusCloak
Marvel may be forced into this someday

Nah...they'll just boost another characters powers and make them have a nervous breakdown. Then they'll slowly retcon the whole event over the next 10 years.

Besides...according to this there's some reality warper inside/outside of 616 Earth controlling/compressing time in the 616 Dimension.

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=altuhb2005streetsamuraids2.jpg

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
Nah...they'll just boost another characters powers and make them have a nervous breakdown. Then they'll slowly retcon the whole event over the next 10 years.

Besides...according to this there's some reality warper inside/outside of 616 Earth controlling/compressing time in the 616 Dimension.

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=altuhb2005streetsamuraids2.jpg

One day StanLee will regain control and decide that the last 20 years of continuity were all inside a snowglobe that FranklinRichards was playing with.

Grimm22
Originally posted by KK the Great

I tend to think of the 90's as the time which I never want to remember ever again stick out tongue

KK the Great
Originally posted by Soljer
Indeed. What issues even casually MENTIONED the war?

Green Lantern. Green Lantern Corps. A passing mention in Supergirl, and a single blue beetle tie in, no?

Plus five ****in' one-shot specials.

grey fox
I have a feeling Blackest Night will be used to revive shit-loads of characters, including Kal-L

TricksterPriest
I have a feeling Blackest Night will be used to revive shit-loads of characters, including Kal-L sick

Now there's a grisly and scary prospect. How many supervillains and heroes have died in the last 10 years of DC comics? Assuming IC didn't retcon things like the Rann-Thanagar war, etc.

Hell, even Apokolips and New Genesis...nm. DOTNG is going to remove those 2 from the equation. But what about Oa or Daxam? There are countless planets with genocide and millennia worth of dead bodies.

How the hell do you stop a dead man's hand? And CAN you defeat a lantern corp, that adds to it's numbers everytime they kill someone? What the f**k?

Superherovandal
I don't think that the ring brings the people back so much as turns them into Corp members that are zombies.

Grimm22
I have a feeling Blackest Night will be used to revive shit-loads of characters, including Kal-L

Only to kill them off again the next issue.

Dear god, Blackest Night may be Didio's ultimate wet dream.

He gets to bring back anyone he wants and then kill them off again stick out tongue

Lil Buddy
Couldn't find a proper thread for it.

Something I found in a JLI book.

This guy owns the XXX rated cinema their at. Hes a complete joke and now HES the main villain??

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/6974/44544152an3.th.jpg
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7725/95832736gs1.th.jpg

Just testing their multiloader as well.

TricksterPriest
*raises a hand to counter the point, but thinks better of it* I can't really argue against that. Black Hand was a shitty C or D lister for a long time. Back in Gl vol. 2 issue.......5 (IIRC) after Rebirth, he came back. Spectre nuked his hand, but some weird space gremlins (that spoke German for some reason........) boosted his powers. He started draining life from people and looking like a zombie, which incidently, restored his hand. Hal buried him, but.....there was some commentary, that in retrospect, foreshadows Blackest Night. shock

so obviously this one has been in the works awhile.

willRules
Originally posted by Val
I think you're overreacting. Infinite Crisis hardly messed with the time line in the same way the original Crisis did. The most notable change to any character's history was Superman and finding out he was in the Legion.

Meanwhile, Secret Invasion is set to invalidate a ton of Marvel history. When is the last time we saw the real Black Bolt?

I have a feeling that in terms of retconing, One More Day will take away a lot more than Secret Invasion. Secret invasion actually looks like a good and fun story yes

Juntai
The big, irritating difference is DC is using all these Crisis events to f*ck with their history & timelines - AGAIN. Marvel may be forced into this someday, but at least their events are just charting for the present, not re-setting the past. laughing laughing

WrathfulDwarf
Okay, I admit, I'm confuse here....I thought BN and FC would be very different separate events. But looking at the solicitations for Oct.

So if I understand correctly...BN will begin in the middle of FC?

Morrison....Johns...Didio....Me...wacko

Soljer
Okay, I admit, I'm confuse here....I thought BN and FC would be very different separate events. But looking at the solicitations for Oct.

So if I understand correctly...BN will begin in the middle of FC?

Morrison....Johns...Didio....Me...wacko

Blackest Night is the arc after Rage of the Red Lanterns.

WrathfulDwarf
Blackest Night is the arc after Rage of the Red Lanterns.

Aahhhhh!!!....stop! My mind can't take it. wacko

Soljer
Aahhhhh!!!....stop! My mind can't take it. wacko
??

It isn't that confusing...

Secret Origin, Rage of the Red Lanterns, Blackest Night.

Disappear
and rage of the red lanterns is tied into final crisis

WrathfulDwarf
??

It isn't that confusing...

Secret Origin, Rage of the Red Lanterns, Blackest Night.

Just teasing you....

Soljer
Just teasing you....

Ahh.

Kay.

Deathstroke
So did .....Mongul.... die in GLC?

Galan007
seems like it now, but i wouldn't count on it lasting. you saw how he kept that crony of his alive after splitting him in half, right?

starlock
Green Lantern Corps....has fallen in quality, and what is the point of Ion as a member of the corps? a whole arch that could have been done in 2 comics dragged out and ends with a mediocre moment at best........i think it might be time to drop this title sad

Endrict Nuul
I think I am going to like this a lot better than FC.

Raoul
glc has dropped in quality, i agree, though i hated seeing Bzzd die, he was one my favourite non human lanterns...

at least gl is still good...

starlock
Originally posted by Raoul
glc has dropped in quality, i agree, though i hated seeing Bzzd die, he was one my favourite non human lanterns...

at least gl is still good...

You know i actually felt the same, i liked Bzzd, i thought he was very usefull fo r a lantern....the size as we can tell really messed up Mongul wink

WrathfulDwarf
GLC drop in quality ever since they allow Kyle in the picture. It was just doing fine with Guy.

(uh-oh! I have offended Kyle)

Erik-Lensherr
To be honest, I never really found GLC to be that great, except the Sinestro Corps War tie-ins.

Raoul
Originally posted by starlock
You know i actually felt the same, i liked Bzzd, i thought he was very usefull fo r a lantern....the size as we can tell really messed up Mongul wink

aye...

starlock
GLC drop in quality ever since they allow Kyle in the picture. It was just doing fine with Guy.

As much as i love kyle you might be right...well maybe it was just the timing, i loved the title when it was first launched, then somewhere it lost me, i dont know maybe it was at the time kyle was brought back into it?

llagrok

Amen my proud gardner brother!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.