Special Edition Is Out!!!!!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

finti

mah

finti
i think it is standard price Mah, I saw it at the local video rental store and they always been real cheap when it came to movies

mah

Fire
according to lotr.net it's out

Fire
but on lotr.nl nothing is said about the new dvd I think it has different release dates, tho I dont know yet wether to go for vhs or dvd, dvd is nice and all that, but I think I can get my folks to pay the vhs when I myself need to buy the dvd

mah
hehe, GET YOURSELF TOGETHER! of course you CANNOT buy the VHS, we're talking about 4 dvds here, we're talking about perfect picture-quality, not grainy, tormenting VHS quality!

BackFire349
i just rented it. ill watch it later.

finti
I asked them wasnt this to be released the 11th of November and they just grined and said "who is checking?"

BackFire349
yeah the store can release it early if they want. although they can get in trouble.

Mujaffa
Happy Dance
is it out ion elkjop as well mah????

mah
nomad

finti

mah
they HAVE to get it to tomorrow.
One Mix shop had it today, but "only for rental"

finti

mah
it does, and they got the 2-disc version on the first day!

finti
wow

Mujaffa
amazing hu??

finti
not really

mah
at least we get TheTwoTowers on world-premiere at midnight, not the year after as with FOTR!

Mujaffa
Happy Dance

finti

BackFire349
the only thing thats bad about the special edition, is that the movie itself is on 2 discs, so you gotta get up half way through the movie and put in the second disc to finish it. kinda inconvenient.

finti

mah

Julie
I will try to see it, but I doubt I'll buy it becuase I already have the other version

mah
you should've waited!

Fire
well I bought it today for 39.99 euros which I found to be a very fair price and the extra scenes are great

mah
got it today. haven't seen the film itself, with all thats extended there, but I've seen quite a few documentaries and they're very great and interesting. it IS the best dvd ever, but everyone knew that.

LanceWindu
The film was only extended by 30 minutes.

So you don't need to rush yourself to see the movie again.

Just whenever you want to you can watch it.

mah
well I've already watched itsmile I loved some of the new stuff, even small things like Frodo and Sam seeing the wood-elves. and Gandalf preaching the verse of the ring in the Black Speech.

"Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg grimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ish krimpatul!"

finti
hmm well well, we waited a long time for petty change.
Dont get me wrong I love the film, but I dont like the way the whole thing has been done here.
They could have waited until now to release FOTR dvd, not like they did with the release of the "first" edition of the DVD then the Special Edition.

To me this is SO BLOODY GREEDY

Mujaffa
Happy Dance

mah
but what's the problem for you about it, finti? you didn't have to buy it back then.

BackFire349
it is greedy, you cant deny that. but oh well. ill still buy the new one.

mah
I didn't care much for the first dvd, therefore I waited for this. money saved

BackFire349
even when i get teh new one ill probably watch the older one more often, considering you have to get up and change the discs with the new one. and thats to much movement for me smile

mah
thinking those thoughts should convince you to generally get up and move more insteadsmile

BackFire349
yeah, but thats not gonna happen my flamboyant friend smile

mah
justt been watching the film with the actors commentary, which was really great fun listening to. I think that's the commentary which is most interesting on the dvd, although I havent checked out the others.

Fire
still have to do that

Ushgarak
The reason there were two releases is become some people would want the cinematic version and nothing else- certainly not to pay extrea for more scenes. The extended version is not to everyone's taste.

BackFire349
then they shoulda released both editions at the same time.

mah
well obviously it took longer to make the special edition, so they released the first quite early to feed teh mainstream-buyers, and the real fans could wait to get an ultimate dvd.

BackFire349
actually i think the real fans already bought the normal dvd and will also buy the special edition.

Ushgarak
Well, fans are like that, but it is not as if they were deceptive about it.

Anyway, I am a real fan and I skipped the original.

mah
same here. the first was only some tv advertisement-like documentaries which didnt give any in-depth information. (more like "orlando bloom plays legolas, which is the elf in the film"wink

BackFire349
thats true. but im glad i bought it. because like i said. im a very lazy man and i dont wanna have to get up half way through the movie to put in another disc so i can finish watching it.

finti
I got this extended version one, but I haven seen it. Save it til next friday(29th) Moonika and some friends are going out to town so I gonna stay home with Live, get her to bed order a pizza, dim the lights turn up the volume and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh coooooooooooooooooool

Fire
yea thats it finti

finti
I just saw the special edition, bought it two weeks ago saw it yesterday.
Now I didnt think the special edition would be able to make the film better, but it did. It is awesome even more now.

But why wasnt this included from the begining, is it all about business.
I think they underestimate the LOTR fans if they belived this is what it takes to get them to buy the DVD.
They would have bought it anyway, now there are a lot of fans that have two DVD of FOTR, spending a lot of money getting both.

To me this way that have been chosen for the DVD part of the LOTR is pure greed.

Ushgarak
No it is not. As I already pointed out, Finti, a lot of people did not WANT the extra scenes, especially to pay extra for them and have to change discs midway through the film; the basic version is for them!

They were not deceptive about it, they made it very clear from the start that this is how it would happen, it wasn;t as if they sneaked out a better version after having gotten everyone to buy the first, no-one has been tricked into buying both.

If you were a big fan, then you knew in advance you could wait and pay extra for the extended version. If you just like what you saw in the cinema and are not so hardcore into it all, you could pick up the normal one, and not be forced into paying extra for something you do not want.

Fire
ush is right besides within the first version there was an announcement about the second version and lordoftherings.net said so before the first version came out

finti
Ok let me clear it up a bit.
What I meant by including it from the beginning was that the extra scenes and extended scenes should have been there from the start.
From when it ran on theaters

mah
then what has that got to do with the greed you talk about? and it would've been too long for cinema-viewing.

finti
the greed is the fact they have given out two dvds, there is no explanation but greed to this fact. You can disagree all you want but the bottom line is greed greed and, guess what, greed.
They want to milk it for what it is worth

mah
no the reason is that the mainstream viewer wants a cheap dvd with just the film, and the hardcore fan wants tons of extras and is ready to pay some more for it. only the stupid or very rich viewer buys both.

finti
Fans are often the first option

mah
in that case it's their problem, not NewLineCinema who did what was right. a standard dvd and a hardcore dvd. releasing only a megaton-dvd would be folly

Mujaffa
what about the gag-reel

finti
to draw each penny they can out of it.
Greed, if you think otherwise you really should take some economic classes cause this is what it is all about. MONEY

Mujaffa
that's kewl... i', one of them stupid people who bought the frist to come out........

mah
or richsmile

so you think they should've only released a fatass expencive dvd, and thus making the mainstream customer who only wants the film on dvd pissed because he has to pay lots for a big box? do you actually have any logic behind these mad ramblings?

Mujaffa
gotta buy............

finti
the thing is they didnt have to make both dvd`s at all.
AOTC could have done the same, one dvd with the film and some extra stuff, and one dvd where the deleted scenes were added to the story.

What they did with LOTR is called aggressive marketing, they speculate in the consumers will to purchase more products of more or less the same thing only with some sort of adjustments. So NLC have made two different products out of the FOTR film.
Not every body is like you Mah, they buy what comes out.
There are a lot of people who just feel they have to have this dvd too cause they feel they will miss out on something. These people are NewLineCinemas target group. And it is a very speculative way of marketing as well as aggressive. And then there are all those impulsive buyers too.
Many soccer clubs have done the same with having multiply of different jersys and the fan feel obligated to buy `em all to pretty stiff prices too.

Dont be fooled Mah, NLC knows what they are doing and that is to make as much money as possible out of the product.
It will be interesting to see when Two Towers is released on dvd if the "ordinary" will sell as much as FOTR or if people will hold out until the Extended version.

My friend is not a movie going type, he bought the FOTR ordinary version so he too could see it. I told him to wait for the extended version but no way.
Well me and another of my friends who saw the extended version on friday talked about how cool the extended version was. This made the first friend I mentioned a little pissed so he went and bought the extended version too. Even if I offerd him to loan mine.

And why do you think this extended version wwas held for release until close to xmas???????

Fire
finti is right the producing two dvd's is pure marketing they want to make as much money as possible
tho they never made it a secret that the second edition would be much bigger than the first one

mah
if New Line Cinema had released only one version, it would be like the AOTC; a good deal of extras but nothing extraordinary. this was what the first LOTR dvd was, and that is probably the one who sells the most. but in addition, they make a humongous monster of an extra-feast, expencive, but for the hard fans. I honestly do no see any other way of solving it than making two version, one 'normal' and one hardcore.

it was released months later because it obviously takes longer time to make it.

finti
but by making two versions they are "tempting" people to buy both and this is the speculative part of it. Greedy part if you like. And it cant be denied

Mujaffa
Happy Dance

Ushgarak
Well, even though all companies are there to make money I do NOT see this as a cynical exploitation. They were open and honest about it and, as we say, the two different versions suit different people. Consumers only have themselves to blame if they buy both needlessy.

And DVDs and films are not necessarily synonomous. While the extra scenes are all very well in a DVD designed to be longer, they would have not added much to the FILM going experience and would have pointlessly extended it.

I have no problem with the dual release at all; I think it is a good use of the resources at their disposal.

Dejio
Just bought the DVD Extended of LOTR:FOTR. Why only now? It's because I thought it would be released here about the same time. But nooo.. it took them four months to actually sell the S.E.! mad

Anyway, on with my thoughts about the LOTR:FOTR S.E DVD;
The DVD'd were great! The scenes that were deleted in the original were great! There were a lot of scenes that I couldn't believe they removed from the film. Like the scene were the fellowship camped near the river. The conversion that Boromir had with Aragorn were (IMO) important to the development of the story and the character, Boromir.
It justified why he wanted to take the ring from Frodo, because he saw that Aragorn lost his trust/hope with his "own" kind. He took it upon himself to do what must be done. I just thought it made his character even more interesting. Also, the last battle scene were Boromir died were much longer. The buildup of the action was better.

There are other stuffs that I thought should have not been edited out. But I understand PJ's reasons for doing so. Tough job indeed.

Captain REX
I watched the SE today, because I could. big grin

Member.
laughing out loud

Captain REX
Thank you, I'll be here til Thursday...

I like the extended beginning where we see Isildur put on the Ring. It takes away that mysterious paused part that I thought was great in the original. Good thing I have both versions!

Dejio
I loved the gift giving scene in Lorien.

Also the part where Elrond talked to Aragorn on the tomb of his mother.
It gives me the feeling that the two actually know each other on a more personal level, than what was originally portrayed in the original version.

Captain REX
Yes, both of those scenes were good.

"I asked for a golden hair from her head...she gave me three..."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.