The best bands/artists of the past generation....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BobbyD
My friends and I had an interesting discussion about this, and the bottom line is we narrowed it to down 5 artists/acts, in our opinion.

...apologies if we overlooked someone deserving.

In no order, we believe them to be Prince, U2, Green Day, Bon Jovi and RATM.

What do you guys think?

We had mixed feelings about Madonna. ....no of course because she isn't a musician. But yes, because she most definitely paved the way for thousands of teenie boppers who aspire/d to make it big, such as Britney, Jessica, etc, etc.... She is also a perfomer we agreed, second to none.

We were trying to think if a rapper was deserving, but we're too ignorant about that genre. We were all in agreement that if GNR didn't implode that they would likely be the band, we could have named. Alas, they didn't make it. Honorable mention went to Metallica for boosting the metal movement.

ps By generation, we meant the past 25/30 years

Thoughts?

Pezmerga
Metallica boosting the Metal Movement is a huge understatement imo.
I don't like them all that much, but I do know they deserve to be on the list more than Greenday or Bon jovi. Actually More then anyone else except Prince.

Bardock42
You need to specify this generation thing more. What do you mean? 80 -95? 80- 90? 75 - 90? 85 - 00? Very hard to point at.

Since you named RATM I would assume that you mean at least until 92..probably later.

If we say 80 - 00 I would say Radiohead, Rage Against The Machine, Jeff Buckley, The Smiths, and The Cure. Probably a lot more though.

Be more specific please. Besides U2, Green Day and Bon Jovi should be on no best list ever.

Victor Von Doom
Best in what way?

BobbyD
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Best in what way?

All things considered....

Sales, longevity, popularity, actual talent, staying power, influence, etc, etc...bands that are as well liked today (if not more) than they were 25/30 years ago.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Bardock42
You need to specify this generation thing more. What do you mean? 80 -95? 80- 90? 75 - 90? 85 - 00? Very hard to point at.

Bardock, early 80'sish to the present.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Besides U2, Green Day and Bon Jovi should be on no best list ever.

eek! embarrasment sad laughing

Bardock42
Originally posted by BobbyD
All things considered....

Sales, longevity, popularity, actual talent, staying power, influence, etc, etc...bands that are as well liked today (if not more) than they were 25/30 years ago. I will just go with the one "best" thing I enjoy, which is which bands are in my opinion the best (objectively)

80's to today

The Smiths, Jeff Buckley, Sufjan Stevens, Radiohead, The Cure, Rage Against The Machine, Mr Bungle, Faith No More, Godspeed You Black Emperor, tool.

But I put most of those on every list, so .... whatever.

Wålshy
best bands/artists im going to say from the 80s to today are/were:

guns n roses, michael jackson, iron maiden, judas preist, motley crue, green day, U2, nirvana, RHCP and kaiser chiefs

thats a list of ten

Old-Wizard.com
Oasis: Morning Glory - Highest selling album in British history. Largest outdoor concert for a single act in European history. Fastest selling debut album (until the Arctic Monkeys broke that record last year).

Fastest selling ALBUM ever - Be Here Now. Sold 800,000 copies in the UK first day alone.

Listed in the Guiness book of world records as the "most successful UK act of the 90s."

Today they are still popular as reported by the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5037792.stm

They also have spanwed numerous followers:

Razorlight, The Arctic Monkeys, The Killers

Greenday and the Foo Fighters have acknowledged them as the best band around.

Sir Paul McCartney said Noel Gallagher was the greatest songwriter of his generation.

Classic songs:

Live Forever
Don't Look Back in Anger
Champagne Supernova
Don't Go Away
All Around the World
Stop Crying Your Heart Out

Great Songs-wise:

Hello
Morning Glory
Master Plan
Little by Little
Lyla
The Importance of Being Idle

and their new song: Lord Don't Slow Me Down

Also, check this debate out:

http://www.old-wizard.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=501

Pezmerga
Well if Paul McCartney said it it has to be true....

Bardock42
Oasis....the Al Gore of music. Figures.

ragesRemorse
the music i like is the best

BobbyD
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
the music i like is the best

laughing out loud

I like that response. Can I quote it? confused

JackieCD
Marilyn Manson. He created a new genre that continues to expand.

Bat Dude
Best bands of the past generation? How long is a generation? 20-30 years? If so, then MINE would be...

1. Van Halen: Come on, Eddie Van Halen revolutionized guitar playing, and they had really great songs (Runnin' with the Devil and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love come to mind)... An absolute classic band...

2. Bon Jovi: While some may not like their musical style, you have to agree that they had a lasting impact on the musical world... Livin' on a Prayer is probably one of the most well known/most played songs in the United States...

3. Def Leppard: Same as above, their style may turn you off, but they had two HUGE albums and some great songs like Rock of Ages and Bringing on the Heartbreak...

4. Guns N Roses: Despite the ending to their "classic" line-up, they also had a lasting impact on the rock genre, and Appetite and Illusion I and II are great albums...

5. Faith No More: You may disagree with me, and that's your opinion, but I think that their sound was truly unique, one of a kind for it's time, and they had one of the most versatile singers of the time, Mike Patton... They were way better than Nirvana, and for me, they defined the early-mid 90s alternative sound...

tbh, I don't listen to any rap besides Run DMC, and even they aren't a candidate for "best of an entire generation"... Maybe best rap group/artist of the time, but not of an entire generation, cuz I'm too ignorant in that subject to make a decision...

Nellinator
Originally posted by JackieCD
Marilyn Manson. He created a new genre that continues to expand. No he didn't. See White Zombie.

Alpha Centauri
Prince, U2 I guess, The Rolling Stones.

-AC

Because I can

Df02
Originally posted by JackieCD
Marilyn Manson. He created a new genre that continues to expand.

shit isnt a genre

BobbyD
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
...The Rolling Stones....

-AC

Really? Interesting.

Slay
Rick Astley, obviously.

Rogue Jedi
I always like The Cure. Going to see them in June, free of charge. eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.