Varg Vikernes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bardiel13
I've always wondered what KMC thought of him. For those that do not know, he is a legendary black metal artist, responsible for the legendary black metal project, Burzum. He is quite possibly the most notorious and controversal icon in metal.
So tell me, Kriegkids of KMC, does the fact that Vikernes burned churches, murdered Euronymous, and supports racial purity, keep you from enjoying his music?

Nellinator
No, his music prevents me from enjoying his music. Both Burzum and Mayhem along with 99% of the second wave of black metal are lame and pathetic both musically and ideologically.

Bardiel13
Originally posted by Nellinator
No, his music prevents me from enjoying his music. Both Burzum and Mayhem along with 99% of the second wave of black metal are lame and pathetic both musically and ideologically.

Eh, I'm not too wild about his music, either. I don't especially hate it and give it a listen once in a while, but wouldn't consider it one of my favorites. Considering Burzum's quite popular among metalheads, I assumed there had to be at least one guy that liked it.

SelphieT
From what I've heard so far by Burzum(which isn't a lot), I like it.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Bardiel13
Eh, I'm not too wild about his music, either. I don't especially hate it and give it a listen once in a while, but wouldn't consider it one of my favorites. Considering Burzum's quite popular among metalheads, I assumed there had to be at least one guy that liked it. 90% of metalheads I know hate Burzum, Mayhem, Gorgoroth, etc. because they're ideologies and what they are doing are in opposition to each other.

Bardiel13
90% of metalheads I know hate Burzum, Mayhem, Gorgoroth, etc. because they're ideologies and what they are doing are in opposition to each other.

So there you have it. One of the major factors that prevents people from listening to black metal is it controversial themes. Personally, I'm not especially offended by bans using concepts like satanism and gore, but I'll sometimes have a slightly lower opinion on them, simply because of cliche-milking. Same goes with really religious bands. I hate getting preached at. That's why I listen to Orphaned Land big grin
And then there are black metal elitists that ONLY like bands like the ones above. I'm yet to meet one, though.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Bardiel13
So there you have it. One of the major factors that prevents people from listening to black metal is it controversial themes. Personally, I'm not especially offended by bans using concepts like satanism and gore, but I'll sometimes have a slightly lower opinion on them, simply because of cliche-milking. Same goes with really religious bands. I hate getting preached at. That's why I listen to Orphaned Land big grin
And then there are black metal elitists that ONLY like bands like the ones above. I'm yet to meet one, though. ... No. That is not what I said at all. Those same 90% love black metal. In fact, some of them are stupidly in love with blasphemy. However, Burzum, Mayhem, Gorgoroth, etc. are not good music, their ideologies are incoherent and self-contradictory. They prefer bands like Sarcofago, Deathspell Omega, early Bathory, early Emperor, etc.

Bardiel13
... No. That is not what I said at all. Those same 90% love black metal. In fact, some of them are stupidly in love with blasphemy. However, Burzum, Mayhem, Gorgoroth, etc. are not good music, their ideologies are incoherent and self-contradictory. They prefer bands like Sarcofago, Deathspell Omega, early Bathory, early Emperor, etc.

I see. My mistake :P

Nellinator
On second listen, Burzum, isn't as bad musically as I remembered, but still not really noteworthy imo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.