Snowboarding, some advise?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pandemoniac
Going First time winter-sporting next February, and bravely choose the snowboard as my way of transportation.
I'll take some lessons at indoor lanes before, but I guess it can't hurt to ask around here for some tips & tricks as well.
Enlighten me if you please!

forumcrew
make sure you dont have anything planned the next day. I have been snowboarding for about 7 years now and I love it. But I still remember my first time, it was a bit harsh at times and quite painful the next day. I was also at a shitty resort with mostly fake snow and icy conditions at night time. It is much better if you can go early in the morning with fresh snow.

As far as a basic tip goes, its easy to stand up and go down the hill anyone could do it. The skill comes in learning control in your movement and stopping. Your gonna have to be willing to fall and go down to learn to stop and turn, but you gotta just go for it. A lof people will just go straight for a while and then sort of force them selves to fall and try to almost sit down instead of just actually trying to stop.

chillmeistergen
I've always found that faster bails are much easier to handle, they seem to hurt less because you're going that much faster. Just commit and you'll be fine, but obviously don't commit beyond your means.

Pandemoniac
Thanks guys! I'll keep your advise in mind.
Going to Austria, and there should be some good snow by that time. And also a downhill named Harakiri, but won't be trying that just yet.

Bicnarok
Is it easy to learn?

chillmeistergen
The basics are relatively easy to learn, you have to be prepared to bail a lot when putting them into full practice though.

Bicnarok
Might give it a shot if snow appears this year.

Alfheim
How is global warming affecting the sport?

JackieCD
I'm too afraid to Snowboard. I tried skiing and all I could do is the "pizza" and "fries"

Pandemoniac
Ok, had a couple of lessons indoor, and while the beginning was like expected -lots of snowbiting and butt-brusing- I was amused.
My toe-side turn needs alot of work, but I'm getting a hang on it. Bound for many more crashes on the real mountains with camera's rolling so keep an eye out for me on youtube!

red g jacks
dont fall down

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.