Armageddon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Storm
It is certain that events in space can cause life on Earth to come to an end. There are many scenarios that have been suggested that could happen in the future. Some are certain to happen and will almost certainly end humanity, but may only happen on a very long timescale. Others are likely to happen on a shorter timescale, but will probably not completely destroy civilization.

If an asteroid or comet would collide with our planet and wipe out its life, we can be certain that governments will find out earlier than the rest of the population. The end of planet Earth is not necessarily synonymous with the extinction of humanity. It is possible for humanity in the future to find other places to live. However, suppose governments found out, but too late to do anything about it. In such a situation, would secrecy be the best policy or deserve people to be informed about their imminent Armageddon?

Dick Grayson
Originally posted by Storm
It is certain that events in space can cause life on Earth to come to an end. There are many scenarios that have been suggested that could happen in the future. Some are certain to happen and will almost certainly end humanity, but may only happen on a very long timescale. Others are likely to happen on a shorter timescale, but will probably not completely destroy civilization.

If an asteroid or comet would collide with our planet and wipe out its life, we can be certain that governments will find out earlier than the rest of the population. The end of planet Earth is not necessarily synonymous with the extinction of humanity. It is possible for humanity in the future to find other places to live. However, suppose governments found out, but too late to do anything about it. In such a situation, would secrecy be the best policy or deserve people to be informed about their imminent Armageddon?

Well this is a film website. erm Most of the scenarios you propose have been dealt with one way or another in films and popular fiction, starting with Wylies, "When worlds collide" and ending with many made for T.V. "rip off special events". I really don't see much to discuss here, no offense, as you obviously put a great deal of work into that post.

Bardock42

If an asteroid or comet would collide with our planet and wipe out its life, we can be certain that governments will find out earlier than the rest of the population. The end of planet Earth is not necessarily synonymous with the extinction of humanity. It is possible for humanity in the future to find other places to live. However, suppose governments found out, but too late to do anything about it. In such a situation, would secrecy be the best policy or deserve people to be informed about their imminent Armageddon? That's a pretty tough ethical question I would say. I am of the believe that knowing is usually better than not knowing. And people have the right to know, and do what they feel is appropriate, it might lead to chaos, but, if humanity really gets destroyed that wouldn't actually matter too much, would it?

Dick Grayson
Originally posted by Bardock42
That's a pretty tough ethical question I would say. I am of the believe that knowing is usually better than not knowing. And people have the right to know, and do what they feel is appropriate, it might lead to chaos, but, if humanity really gets destroyed that wouldn't actually matter too much, would it?

Sounds like "When worlds collide".

Bardock42
Originally posted by Dick Grayson
Sounds like "When worlds collide". H-how?

Symmetric Chaos

Depends on how it was going to happen.

If the disaster would kill everyone instantly then I wouldn't say anything.
If it would take time I'd tell people so they could prepare.

Dick Grayson
Originally posted by Bardock42
H-how?

Watch the film or read the book and see, I highly recommend Wylie.

Bardock42
Watch the film or read the book and see, I highly recommend Wylie. No, I really mean how. I didn't name a specific scenario.

P23
many things can lead to armageddon. we can get nailed by a astroid or worse world war 3. if you really want my option ill give it. i beleive either A. we as human beings will destroy eachother in this war we are fighting now. or B. we can think the nostradomis theory and possble are world will just not exist. for instance if you look at black holes in outerspace what makes you think are own milky way aint one? what if are milkyway is a vast colorful black hole on its path to devour are existence?. there aint no yes or no answers but theres always a possible even if it sounds ludacris

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by P23
many things can lead to armageddon. we can get nailed by a astroid or worse world war 3. if you really want my option ill give it. i beleive either A. we as human beings will destroy eachother in this war we are fighting now. or B. we can think the nostradomis theory and possble are world will just not exist. for instance if you look at black holes in outerspace what makes you think are own milky way aint one? what if are milkyway is a vast colorful black hole on its path to devour are existence?. there aint no yes or no answers but theres always a possible even if it sounds ludacris

That has nothing to do with the question.

P23
my bad i didnt read the whole post lol. should people be informed? HELL YES

milkman >:O
Originally posted by P23
my bad i didnt read the whole post lol. should people be informed? HELL YES

should people read the whole post ? HELL YES !

Cornlady
Well this is a film website. erm Most of the scenarios you propose have been dealt with one way or another in films and popular fiction, starting with Wylies, "When worlds collide" and ending with many made for T.V. "rip off special events". I really don't see much to discuss here, no offense, as you obviously put a great deal of work into that post.

I agree with person above me, that they made a lot of tv movies with the world coming to an end, and I do not think the world will be destroyed and if it was going to be; then the Government should tell us, so we can seek another place to live.

Peace,
Amanda

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Cornlady
I agree with person above me, that they made a lot of tv movies with the world coming to an end, and I do not think the world will be destroyed and if it was going to be; then the Government should tell us, so we can seek another place to live.

Peace,
Amanda

I believe the point of this thread was that we would not have time to escape. Death is an absolute certainty in this scenario.

Cornlady
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I believe the point of this thread was that we would not have time to escape. Death is an absolute certainty in this scenario.

Ah-ha, now that I agree, you cannot escape death, especially if you are not warn about it. Besides, onces your number is up, then it is up.

Peace,
Amanda

Storm
Please read the opening post thoroughly before contributing to the discussion!

Once more, there is nothing at all that can be done to stop and prevent Armageddon from occurring. If nothing at all can be done, should the public then be permitted to go about their daily business in blissful ignorance, unaware that an earth-shattering event will soon occur.

On the other hand, people could want to put their affairs in order, do things they always hoped to do, spend their last days with loved ones, perhaps make peace with people they were at odds with, etc. Should a bureaucrat or public policy maker be allowed to decide to take that away from us?

Punkyhermy
Let the people know.

I'm pretty sure the governments will.

chithappens
They should say something but they won't.

The elite of the world believe the commoners have to be controlled so that chaos will not ensue. Telling would contradict that belief.

In some sense it wouldn't matter if nothing could be done but I'll let someone else touch that.

Cornlady
Originally posted by chithappens
They should say something but they won't.

The elite of the world believe the commoners have to be controlled so that chaos will not ensue. Telling would contradict that belief.

In some sense it wouldn't matter if nothing could be done but I'll let someone else touch that.

I heard about the commoners being controlled to keep chaos from happening.

Peace,
Amanda

WrathfulDwarf
This is pretty similar to this discussion:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=397595

There are no right or wrong answers. The only thing we could assume is that whatever decision is made to spread the news would not affect the outcome...which is the end of life. A this point in time we can't get out of this rock. So the end of the planet means the end of humanity.

However, if were to take place sometime in the future when colonies are establish in other planets....then yes, we can say that the end of earth does not mean the end of humanity.

So, if a comet is coming at us and will hit earth 50 to 100 years from now. Our future generations won't have a future.

JackieCD
Originally posted by Punkyhermy
Let the people know.

I'm pretty sure the governments will.

I love the quote Punkyhermy in your sig. Never thought about it that way.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.