STAR WARS: RETROSPECTION- Puppets

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX

Captain REX
Jedi Temple, Coruscant

It has been many years since she passed, yet she lingers over you like a sweet perfume.

But she was right, Tanic. You have become greater than your expectations could have forseen. After she was gone, you felt that your connection to the Force could not have been weaker.

Until Master Kay stepped in. She proved you entirely wrong and showed you just how much potential you held. Her tutorship, you are sure, is the only way you could have passed the Jedi Trials. Which you did, with flying colors.

Tanic Starguard, Jedi Knight. You never thought you could use those words in a sentence like that, but hah! Marvelous!

You are currently on the steps of the Jedi Temple, looking out over the endless span of Coruscant's city. It is dawn and the sun casts fresh orange and pink hues over the skyscrapers. Even at this hour, the sunrise is interrupted by traffic, but you don't mind.

After awhile, someone approaches you from behind.

Trickster
Tanic waits another moment, drawing in the vista, then turns.
"Good morning."

(Kay was meant to be a guy, but that's not important. stick out tongue)

Captain REX
(Really? Geez, that's quite a blunder on my part...but hey, it's not important, all's well!)

"Good morning, Tanic," Master Kay says, seating herself beside you. It has been awhile since she has called you Padawan, but sometimes you think she's going to say it when she catches herself. "How did you sleep?"

Trickster
"Well, for the time I spent in bed," he replies, "I thought I would wake early to catch the sunrise, but decided to go through some lightsabre routines before sleeping. All in all, I didn't get much rest. How was your night?"

Captain REX
"Not bad," she replies, simply.

She sits an observes the sunrise with you for a moment.

"Trorn told me that the Council may have a mission for us, my friend."

Trorn is the representative of the Council and organizes most of their meetings with the thousands of Knights in the Order.

Trickster
"We're going off-planet?" Tanic is more interested, "What's the mission?"

(BTW, using Foresight - that's better than Dreams, isn't it?)

Captain REX
Much better than Dreams. If you have Foresight, using Dreams is pointless.

"I do not know," Kay replies. "I have not been to see the Council yet. But yes, this one is off-world."

Trickster
"Ah, how exciting. When do we see the council, then?"

Captain REX
"At some point today, I suspect," Kay replies. "Will you be ready to leave by tomorrow?"

Trickster
"Shall I pack my things now? It'll only take a matter of moments," Tanic says, "Or do you want to see the Council first?"

Captain REX
"Go ahead and pack," she says. "The Council will request us when they are ready."

Trickster
Tanic returns to his room, gathering together the few changes of clothes he has, along with a number of small gadgets and holofilm disks.

With hi bag packed, he wanders over to the bed, and picks up a picture there, one of the only real memories he has of being with his mother. Sighing, he puts it back down, to await his return, and adjusts the small silver ring on his little finger, given to him by his mother before she died.

Captain REX
Anything specifically important amongst those small gadgets? I assume your comlink, a glowrod, synthrope, an aquata breather mask, and an Imagecaster holoprojector. Anything else?

Does Tanic use his twinned blaster pistols at this point in time?

Trickster
Yes, I've got the pistols. Nothing else specific: Tanic's just a normal jedi knight (plus he's not a real techy or anything).

Captain REX
Fair enough.

Later in the day, your comlink beeps.

"Hello, Tanic," greets Trorn, the representative of the Jedi Council. "I hope you're doing well, my friend. No time for idle chatter, I'm afraid. The Jedi Council requests your presence as soon as you can manage."

Kay meets you on the way to the Council Chambers, stepping into the elevator with you before it begins its rapid ascent, up through the central tower of the Temple.

"Excited?" Kay asks.

Trickster
"More than I can say. Do you think our mission will be hard?"

Captain REX
"Difficult to say," Kay says, smiling, "without knowing what the mission is. Don't you agree?"

Trickster
Tanic nods his head in agreement, a little embarrassed by his unnecessary eagerness to meet with the Council.

Captain REX
After the lift arrives, Trorn greets you from his desk.

"You may see the Council now," he chimes, dutifully, then returns to his work as the great doors slide open, giving you access to the Council Chambers.

Trickster
Tanic walks in, a step behind Kay. He intends to stay quiet and let her do the talking.

Captain REX
You step through the doorway and into the presence of the wisest and most powerful of the Jedi Order. Most of them, any how. Several seats are left empty; even the great Masters still attend missions of great importance in the Galaxy. The smallest seat reserved for the diminutive Master Yoda is empty.

"Greetings, Council," Kay says, bowing deeply to no Master in particular.

"Greetings, friends," Master Windu says, for the Council. "I hope you have been well." He eyes you, Tanic.

Trickster
He bows to Windu.

Captain REX
Kay rises from her bow. "We are well, Masters."

Windu nods in acknowledgement.

"Master Giett, if you will," Windu says.

Behind you, Master Micah Giett opens his mouth to speak. He wears traditional Jedi robes, though two decorative lightsabers hang from his belt, rather than one. His skin is yellow-tinted, and his black hair is sharply trimmed short.

"We have a mission that is of the utmost importance to the Order and the Republic. It will require strength and perseverence of the body and the mind...and the spirit. Your connection and teamwork has qualified you both as spectacular candidates for this. Trust me, it seems that you will need it."

Trickster
Tanic nods, pleased with the compliment, and feels a surge of excitement rush through him.

Captain REX
You sense that Kay is equally grateful for the compliment.

"Have you heard of the world of Garel?" Master Giett asks.

Trickster
Tanic pauses to wait for Kay to answer, then replies himself.
"No, Master. Is it in the Outer Rim?"

Captain REX
Kay does not know of it.

"No. Garel is a world abundant in natural gas that comes up from the ground in great billowing clouds. It is located in the Mid Rim, just within the Republic's reach. It's natives perform gas mining there; the planet puts out enough to enable them to compete with gaseous worlds such as Bespin or Taloraan.

"Do you know anything about gas-mining?"

Trickster
"No, not at all. Isn't it all done with floating drones?"

Captain REX
"Close. Drones are used on worlds like Bespin, in addition to mining platforms. On Garel, however, the gas comes out of enormous vents in the ground, billowing into the air. They use mining stations to 'inhale' the gas, hovering over the vents. When not in use, they orbit the planet, processing the gas that they have taken in."

Giett's expression becomes ever so slightly more grave. He is typically jovial for a Council member, so the look is worrying.

"The largest station orbiting Garel is Station Alpha, used for the largest vents. It has been commandeered."

Trickster
"Commandeered?!" Tanic says, surprised, "By who? Why?"

Captain REX
"We would tell you, but Garel has heard no reports from the station," Giett says. "This is where you come in. There were easily hundreds of people on that station. For none of them to have contacted Garel is...peculiar. Garel sent in a special operations team, but they too have not been heard from."

"Your mission is to investigate what has happened on board Alpha Station," Master Windu says, from his seat. "It is imperative that you make a discovery and resolve the situation."

Trickster
Tanic nods with pleasure, that the Council saw fit to send them on the mission. Quickly following after, a sense of dread that he was deliberately heading into danger, one he masks with a smile while he waits for Kay to reply.

Captain REX
"Have no fear, Council," Kay says. "We will discover what has happened and return the station to its natural state."

"May the Force be with you," Giett says.

"And with you," Kay replies, ushering you towards the exit. The door closes automatically behind you.

"Well?" Kay asks.

Trickster
Tanic grins, "Sounds like fun, Master. When do we leave?"

Captain REX
"Tonight," Kay says. "This is of the utmost importance. As soon as the arrangements are made, we shall go."

As you were both able to prepare for the mission well in advance, the only thing that remains to be done is securing a starship for passage to Garel. The Jedi Temple provides you with a lightly-armed, lightly-armored four-man Jedi craft. Kay is an adequate pilot, and so is at the controls as the miniscule ship pulls out of the hangar and zips off into the Coruscant atmosphere and beyond.

After a moment of coordination, Kay says "Here we go..." and activates the hyperdrive, sending the craft zooming towards Garel at lightspeed.

Trickster
As soon as they're settled into lightspeed, Tanic starts asking questions.
"What do you think the problem is? Do you know anything about Garel? Will it be dangerous?"

Captain REX
"I don't know," Kay says. "Garel is a planetwide gas mining operation; normally the Republic does not hear much from it. As for danger..."

Kay trails off, eyeing the controls before leaning back. The navigational computer has the ship on auto-pilot, customary of hyperspace travel. She releases the controls.

"You have some talent for divination, Tanic. Perhaps you should sleep on it. The Force may have some message for you regarding our mission. Besides, it's night on Coruscant..."

Trickster
Recognising the dismissal, Tanic merely nods and heads back to get some rest. (And, perchance, to dream?)

Captain REX
(You have unwittingly quoted Hamlet's third soliloquoy...)

In the quiet lull of hyperspace, the ship's controls thrumming near silence about you, you begin to drift off to sleep.

And then you hear it. A strange, enchanting rhythm that seems to come from everywhere and nowhere. You cannot discern its source, but it is maddening and seductive at the same time, trying to pull you in despite your annoyance.

Tap

Tap

Tap

Tap

Tap

Tap

On and on it goes.

Tap

Tap

Tap

Tap

Tap

Tap

It gives no sign of stopping. You claw against the darkness in vain. Your efforts yield no results, the tapping grows louder.

TAP

TAP

TAP

You are afraid, Tanic. This rhythm...it scares you.

And then you awake, tearing out of your nightmare and back to the quiet reality of the starship and hyperspace. You're shaking, and a cold sweat seems to seep from every pore.

The rhythm has stopped, though it persists in your head. You remember it and it has become stuck.

Kay is still asleep.

Trickster
(Unwittingly? I think not.)

Tanic, unable to sleep, wanders about the ship, looking for information on Garel... but also information about Jedi missions that have gone awry in the past, concerned that something might occur on this, his first, chance to prove himself.

Captain REX

Trickster
Well, I suppose Tanic has a quick look at the information on Garel, perhaps checking the news? (I don't know if there is a galactic news service...).

Other than that, he tries to meditate until they arrive.

Captain REX
The HoloNet qualifies for such a service. It is basically the Star Wars version of the internet, maintained by the Republic for instantaneous communication between all the worlds. There is a hyperwave emitter/receiver on every planet in the Republic, and even some outside of it.

Recent news updates from Garel are...very unhelpful. Most of the articles regard how the take-over of Alpha Station is harming the planet's economy. You are able to get a hologram image of the Alpha Station, though. It is very much shaped like a flat disk.

Trickster
I guess Tanic'll try and pull the floor plan and all the details of the interior of the station, and try to learn the layout.

If he fails at that, he'll try and get a similar floor plan of another, similar, station.

Captain REX
You are able to pull schematics easily.

Alpha Station's structure is highly reminscent of Cloud City's architecture on Bespin. It curves gently towards its peak, then suddenly flattens off at the top. A massive cylindrical component takes up much of the station, though it is slightly off-center; it's the gas storage station. A tangled web of pipes and vents cover the bottom half of the station. Docking bays line the disk.

You're unsure what the structure next to the gas cylinder is...

Captain REX
...until you look at the schematics.

A- Gas Storage Chamber
B- Control Room
C- Gas Filtration/Processing Chamber
D- Docking/Loading Bays, Gas Containment
E- Living Quarters, Recreational Services, Food Services

Trickster
Wow. I'm impressed.

What else can Tanic feasbily do to prepare?

Captain REX
It seems there is little to be done. The schematics can be loaded into your portable hand-held holoprojector, which all Jedi are given for their utility belts.

You could try sleeping again, but thinking about it causes you to feel uneasy as you recall the percussive rhythm...

Trickster
Well then. Tanic will meditate until he is able to go back to sleep, and thus pass the rest of the journey.

Captain REX
Meditation is almost as restful as sleep, but still difficult. That tapping rhythm grows stronger the more you drift into your meditative state, but it is not as nightmarish as your dream. Not nearly.

Soon, the navcomputer alerts you that the ship is nearing Garel.

Trickster
Tanic goes to wake up Kay. When she's fully alert and at the pilot's seat, he informs her of the dream:
"It was terrifying. I couldn't get away from it."

Captain REX
Kay looks concerned.

"Do not let the terror of your dream get to you," Kay says. "Fear starts you down the path to the Dark Side. You've proven that you can control your emotions, Tanic. Let the feelings of this nightmare pass, but hold on to what you may have learned from it... if anything."

She only seems more concerned, having said that last line.

Trickster
Tanic bows his head,
"Thank you. I think that will help."

Captain REX
"Any time," Kay says. "Though I am concerned that you were unable to draw more from this dream..."

A few moments later, the starship arrives at Garel.

The world has the appearance of gas giant, with a gaseous sickly green atmosphere thick enough to hide any traces of the gray chunky soil that composes Garel's surface.

The gas collection stations are all of similar shape; disk-shaped with central cylinders and control stations and pipes and such. They dip into the atmosphere at various points while in use, but otherwise hover in orbit.

The Alpha Station is easily the largest and you spot it almost immediately, dead ahead.

"We are to dock directly with Alpha Station," Kay says. "What little government Garel has will be unable to help us more than they already have, which is to say, they've informed us of the problem. Are you ready, Tanic?"

Trickster
Tanic smiles, pushing the dream to the back of his mind.
"I'm ready. I will folllow your lead."

Captain REX
"We go in together," Kay says.

Kay sends a hail to Garel traffic control, informing them of your arrival. Traffic control puts this message into the local government, which expresses gratitude for your undertaking of this mission.

Then she tries to hail Alpha Station. Nothing but static.

"Strange, but not unexpected..."

Trickster
Tanic heads back to the hold and goes through a last check of his gear, igniting and deactivating it in a nervous process.

(Wanna fight something!)

Captain REX
"Patience, Tanic," Kay says, adopting her advise-giving mentoring tone. "I can understand you're anticipating conflict, but no..."

Kay is distracted by the fact that the docking bays are all sealed.

"Um... hang on."

She brings the starship into orbit around Alpha Station, circling it in search of an open docking bay. Eventually, she finds one, and only one. Kay guides the starship in and sets down beside another starship.

Trickster
As they emerge from the ship, Tanic uses the Force and his eyes to scan over the other vessel.

Captain REX
It appears to be a troop transport. Nobody aboard.

Stepping out of the ship, you are immediately met with frigid temperatures. The heating systems of the station seem to have been turned off, and the floor of the hangar is slick with a thin layer of frost and patches of starship oil.

"We should head for the control center," Kay says, pulling her cloak about her tightly.

Trickster
"Is that the ship the government troops were on?" Tanic says, as he follows her.

Captain REX
"I should think so," Kay says. She moves towards the back of the hangar, where a maintenance booth and the door out are found.

Trickster
(Sorry Rex, my internet crashed.)

"I wonder what happened to them? They would have left guards." He continues to walk a step behind her, though he has slipped his lightsabre out of his robes.

Captain REX
(It's alright, my computer shut off of its own free will.)

"I don't see signs of conflict," Kay says. "I am sure we'll find them, sooner or later..."

She pushes open the doorway out of the docking bay and into the Alpha Station's lower deck. Here, the network of pipes push up through the floor, connecting the massive cylinder at the center. The wide hallway that you enter into circles around the massive cylinder.

At least, that's what you remember from the schematics. You can't see anything.

The only source of light comes from the glow of Garel coming from the hangar behind you. You can see your breath very clearly, though the fog of your breath disappears into the darkness before you.

Trickster
Do we get night vision goggles?

Tanic reaches out with the Force, letting it guide him in the dark.
"Should we try to restore power?"

Captain REX
A Jedi needs not these instruments. Sense gets you along just fine.

"I don't think the power is off..." Kay comments. "Listen."

In the quiet, you can hear the thrum of machinery as gas is transported into containers and packed not far from you on this floor.

Reaching out with her senses, Kay finds the lights and flicks them on. It's very dim, but at least you can see now.

Trickster
Tanic walks, nervous, behind her, and waits until they reach their destination (which, I assume, is the centre of the station, or the bridge).

Captain REX
You know from the schematics that there is no lift installed to take you to the Control Center, so you circle around the station in search of the stairs. You stroll several work centers where crates are loaded, by machinery, with extracted gas. Only a few stations are operational; the others are simply off.

When you reach the stairs, you are met by an unwelcome sight. A handful of workers lay strewn across the railings and on the stairs. You sense no life in them.

Trickster
Tanic crouches by them, attempting to ascertain how they died. Then he continues on to find the stairs.

Captain REX
Shot to death by blasters.

Now that you notice it, there are many black streaks across the walls and on the stairs, all inflicted by blaster weapons.

The stairs upwards are littered with these bodies, so that you and Kay have to step around them gingerly, careful not to disturb the corpses.

Trickster
Are they the troops from the ship?

"Do you think we will be able to settle this peacefully?"

Captain REX
They all wear the uniform of workers that lived on the station and all have been killed by blaster shots.

Except one. The Garel trooper is nearly unrecognizable, but you notice the uniform. A bite to the jugular vein is what killed him, but there are several bite marks and scratch marks covering his body. His heavy assault rifle lays in the pool of blood with him.

He's cold; he's been here awhile, as have the other bodies.

Trickster
"What happened? THey ate him!"

Captain REX
"I... don't have an answer to that," Kay comments, examining the fallen trooper. Sure enough, human teeth inflicted the wounds, and the dead workers around him have blood under their nails. "Bizarre. Why would they do this?"

Kay looks up the stairs, then slowly draws her lightsaber, the blue blade igniting with a distinct fwoosh. "Keep on your guard, Tanic."

She resumes the ascent.

Trickster
Tanic, his lightsabre already out, presses the button and the blade springs out.
"Something isn't right here, Master."

(Are female Jedi Masters still just Masters?)

Captain REX
Yes, though only you call Kay your Master. She is very soon to attain the title, but not yet. This mission may determine her advancement in the Order.

"I agree," Kay says. "But my senses... nothing is out of place, but this gore tells me otherwise. Something is definitely not right, and I want to find out what..."

At the top of the stairs, you step out onto the gas processing level, where a countless series of pipes circle about the central storage tank. A small pathway winds through the vast network of piping, but you don't want to go that way.

The stairs leading to the control room is what you're seeking, and they're basically a continuation of the stairs you were just on. No gore on this set, though. All clear.

Trickster
Tanic quiets, as he begins to exert his senses even more, trying to find what awaits them at the top of the stairs.

Captain REX
You ascend the stairs to the control room, only to be blocked by a great blast door barring access.

It is about then that you sense the disturbance in the Force. A chill runs down your spine as a coldness washes over you. Tap. Tap. Tap. You do not hear it, but you almost feel the rhythm pulsating through you.

"Do you sense it?" Kay asks.

Trickster
"Yes. I dreamt of it."

Tanic steps forward and begins to cut through the door.

Captain REX
Before you can touch your blade to the door, it slides open automatically.

Beyond is a dark chamber, filled with flashing lights.

"Do we proceed?" Kay asks.

Trickster
Tanic reaches out with the Force, trying to determine what awaits them.
"It is your decision, Master."

Captain REX
Kay nods, then advances into the room, lightsaber held up and tilted away from her.

The moment you enter the room, the heavy blast door behind you suddenly slides shut again. It beeps once to indicate that the security lock has been successfully activated.

Control panels cover the room, monitoring the gas tank and machinery and all other parts of the Alpha Station. The dim yellow-red glow of the buttons and screens provides you with enough light to see by.

A figure stands at the far end of the control station, his back to you. He is facing the reinforced transparisteel window, watching the starfield beyond. You cannot make out distinct details, but he is clad in black.

Trickster
Tanic doesn't say anything, but glances at Kay, still scanning for other lifeforms.

Captain REX
You sense... absolutely nothing. Not even the man standing before you, or Kay at your side.

Kay furrows her brow in concern.

"Who are you?" she asks, approaching the man.

Trickster
Tanic stays a pace behind, eyes searching the darkness, lightsabre raised.

Captain REX
The dark-robed man turns away from the starfield, facing you. His features are hidden by a dark hood.

"Welcome, Jedi," he greets, his voice eerily calm and cold. "Why do you come with weapons drawn? There is no need to fight... when you can obey."

The man thrusts his open hands towards both of you and you experience the sensation of knives being jabbed into your head from all different angles. The rhythm grows louder, Tanic, until you can hear nothing else.

Trickster
Tanic fights back, trying to clear his head. He's terrified by the sound, which he so accurately predicted in his dreams.
"Kay!" He screams, as he realises he can no longer hear her.

Captain REX
As soon as you fight back, the knives withdraw and it is over as soon as it began. You can hear yourself panting hard from the effort to maintain control of your own mind.

Flustered, your enemy lowers his hands abruptly.

"Perhaps you Jedi possess a stronger will than I thought," he snarls, turning back to the starfield. "Very well. Take care of them."

Somewhere nearby... you hear a noise.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Trickster
Tanic spins, looking into the darkness, then back to the man. If he has any flares, he throws one (into the darkness, that is).

"Master? Do we take him?"

Captain REX
Your only source of light is the green glow of your lightsaber and the blue glow of Kay's.

"Yes," Kay decides, striding into the room...

...when a blaster bolt cuts through the darkness from one side of the room. She deflects it easily.

Another strikes from the other side of the room, heading for you.

Trickster
Tanic whirls his lightsabre, aiming to send the bolt back where it came from. He strides forward to the psychic fella.

Captain REX
Your attacker rolls a 16... a miss by one. That gives your Reflection a skill of 1, which has no hope of hitting anything against your opponent, who slips to the side easily and smoothly draws a small pistol from his robes.

His evasive maneuver has forced him to relent his smothering of your senses. With your mind cleared, you are able to sense the troopers moving into the room from maintenance hatches, armed with heavy assault blasters and led by the fearless Commander Hargan.

The first two troopers through the hatches had fired at you...

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ?/0/4

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 0/3

Garel Troopers x12: 0/3
Garel Troopers x2: 0/6

Control Room- Entrance

Tanic: 11/0/4

Kay: 14/0/5

---

...and now they're going to fire again. They stomp their feet to the tapping rhythm in your head as they raise their blaster rifles.

Trickster
Tanic runs to the centre, twirling his blade. He cuts through the first two he comes to, Defending all the time.

Captain REX
You rather easily deflect many of the incoming bolts, but you do note that these troopers are of some considerate skill, and their heavy blaster rifles award them an increased chance of hitting you, much to your chagrin. Two of the mooks score close calls, inflicting 16 damage to you.

Kay fairs better against her enemies, only taking 7 damage from the troopers. Commander Hargan tries to blast her down, but he misses.

The dozens of bolts that pass harmlessly by yourself and Kay explode brightly against the blast door behind you, charring the surface and scattering sparks.

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ?/0/7

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 0/6

Garel Troopers x14: 0/6

Tanic: 10/16/8

Control Room- Entrance

Kay: 12/7/6

---

You advance to the middle area of the control room, pushing yourself into the midst of your foes. But they will fire again as you approach.

The hooded man simply watches.

Trickster
Tanic will Defend again, and then cut apart two guards. Will their aim get worse if we're that close?

Captain REX
Yes, they face a -2 penalty at close range. Especially with those bulky assault rifles of theirs. None of the troopers manage to clip you.

As you don't have any powers for cutting down multiple foes, I will make that a standard attack on a single target. An 18 sees him cut down easily as your lightsaber swipes across his chest.

Kay sacrifices her frame advantage to Defend, and only Commander Hargan manages to score a hit on her. She then moves up by your side.

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ?/0/10

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 0/9

Garel Troopers x13: 0/9

Tanic: 12/16/12

Kay: 14/7/10

---

The robed man, thumping out the Tap. Tap. Tap. with a heavy boot, is going to fire at you this time, Tanic.

Your Force pool refreshes.

Trickster
Tanic'll go to cut down Hargan using Blur, then use Reflection on the robed man's attack.

Captain REX
The troopers fire before you close on Hargan, but all miss. Without their burst fire advantage, it will take them some high rolling to gun you down.

The robed man also fires, but you intercept his poorly rolled shot (a 4), reflecting it back with a skill of 6. You roll an 18... a hit! He twirls to the side as his own shot zips past him, taking 7 damage. He was not expecting that.

Kay does not take a defensive action against the troopers, thoughtlessly flicking away all the poor shots against her. Hargan misses.

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ?/7/13

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 0/12

Garel Troopers x13: 0/12

Tanic: 12/16/13

Kay: 14/7/10

---

No need to Blur to Hargan. Since you're in the same area, it is considered that he is nearby.

However, the troopers and Hargan are going to fire again. You have player advantage over the robed man, however.

Trickster
Oh well, Tanic continues to cut down troopers. No defence this time.

Captain REX
Two hits on you for 14 damage from the troopers, but the robed man misses.

Kay cuts down one of Hargan's men before actively dodging one of his shots. He misses, but only just.

Another man downed by your blade. Something doesn't feel right, but you don't have time to think about it. You're under attack, after all.

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ?/7/16

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 0/15

Garel Troopers x11: 0/15

Tanic: 12/30/16

Kay: 14/7/14

---

Trickster
Tanic breaks from the melee, and blurs toward the robed man. Active dodges on his attacks, then try and cut him down.

Captain REX
Kay snaps an attack on one of the soldiers, running him through. She pulls her lightsaber clear and deflects a fumbled shot from Hargan and his men with Defend.

The troopers targeting you fail to inflict any harm before you break away from them. You rapidly approach the robed man, who rolls a 10. You bat the shot aside and close on him.

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ?/7/19

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 0/18

Garel Troopers x10: 0/18

Tanic: 11/30/19

Kay: 13/7/17

---

Kay whisks her lightsaber across the chest of another trooper with a fast blow, then Defends again. With balanced movements, she angles her lightsaber to deflect the incoming shots away, not bothering with those that don't come near.

The troopers regain their burstfire bonus, two of them landing another 14 damage on you.

You and the robed man exchange attacks. Your lightsaber sizzles through the air just above him, but he bends back unnaturally with a Dodge, carrying his defense to 17. His own shot back, however, is penalized by such close range, and he fails to hit.

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ?/7/23

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 0/21

Garel Troopers x9: 0/21

Tanic: 11/44/23

Kay: 12/7/20

---

Trickster
Tanic tries to move to position himself so that the robed guy is between him and the troopers, while attacking him again, striking low. No defence again.

Captain REX
The Robed One, employing another Force Dodge, leaps nimbly over your blade as you strike. His responding shot is terrible, a 2! You're not impressed by his marksmanship...

I have forgotten that Kay possesses a level in Carnival of Carnage, so we will peel off one of the troopers as she slays him without looking, her blade connecting on the backswing. She then super-snaps an attack, putting her at a -5 penalty, but with her prowess she cuts down another trooper, then another with yet another super-snap.

The troopers take her more seriously now; only one of the six targets you, and he fails spectacularly. The other five, spraying frantically, do not land any of their shots, the graceful Kay deflecting all incoming fire. Not even Hargan manages anything.

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ?/7/27

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 0/24

Garel Troopers x6: 0/24

Tanic: 12/44/26

Kay: 13/7/22

---

I apologize for the slow update; I'm unwell and had a busy weekend.

Your turn to act, Tanic. Kay seems to handling those troopers well enough...

Trickster
Tanic will attempt to cut up the man again, snapping the attack.

Would I be able to use illusion to create an effect like a battalion of troopers arriving to support us?

Captain REX
Illusion is a very useful power, but a battalion of troopers is... difficult. Too difficult. You would have to stimulate various sensations on multiple targets for it to be convincing, and that is simply too difficult even for the most powerful of Jedi.

Plus, you somehow doubt that this fellow here would be fooled.

You thrust your lightsaber forwards with great speed, but not much accuracy, it seems. He blurs to the side with Force Dodge, evading your attack. He laughs under his breath...

Kay takes out two troopers with 6s on super-snaps, a pair of fast slashes that brings them low. But her third attack is fluffed by a 1. Her Defend, as ever, keeps her clear of enemy fire.

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ?/7/28

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 0/27

Garel Troopers x4: 0/27

Tanic: 12/44/28

Kay: 12/7/26

---

Due to the Robed One's dodge and the quickness of your attack, initiative is yours again.

Trickster
Tanic snaps another attack at the robed guy. Active dodge next time.

Captain REX
Remember your powers, Tanic. A snapped attack has a penalty of -2, whereas Strike shortens your attack with the aid of the Force.

Your opponent certainly is relying on the Force, as he flips backwards in a Defensive Leap, jumping over your blade and away from you a single frame. As he backflips to a safer distance, he returns fire, a single bolt from his blaster bursting too close to your foot.

Kay's vicious, super-fast cuts down another two mooks easy. Hargan, once again, fails to harm your old mentor.

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ?/7/31

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 0/30

Garel Troopers x2: 0/30

Tanic: 12/50/31

Kay: 12/7/28

---

Seems the action is yours, but your opponent is now a frame distant.

"Not bad, Jedi," he says, "but it seems I am too quick for you."

Trickster
"Maybe you can beat me," Tanic replies, "But will you be able to take both of us?"

I'll take a step forward, and then use Strike. Active dodge.

Captain REX
You advance, giving him a chance to take his shot. 14 is a dead-on hit, giving you five damage as you just barely smack the bolt upwards into the ceiling, showering you with sparks.

You Strike, thrusting your blade forwards as he, once again, bends backwards with a Force Dodge, staying just beneath your blade. But a 16 means that you swipe your blade downwards across his side as you pull back, dealing 17 damage on a glancing blow. He goes back into a hand-stand and lands on his feet, grunting.

"Perhaps," he finally snarls in response.

Behind, Kay dashes between the two remaining troopers and cuts them down with a wide horizontal slash. She closes on Hargan just before he is able to pull off a shot, attacking him with a Strike. The tip of her sapphire blade burns across his shoulder as he tries to pull himself clear of her attack, giving him 17 damage.

She blurs to one side as he squeezes off shots, her Dodge keeping her clear and putting her in position to strike again.

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ?/24/35

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 17/34

Tanic: 10/55/35

Kay: 10/7/33

---

Once again, the initiative is yours. You have struck your opponent once; you doubt even the Force can help him stay clear of your blade forever.

Trickster
Tanic'll Strike again. Active dodge this time.

"You haven't got anything left in you," Tanic says, "Surrender."

Captain REX
"You think it is over already? Foolish. How blind of you to presume your success in battle before the battle is won!"

This time you shear away a part of his robes as the end of your lightsaber burns across his chest, leaving a vivid glow of burnt fabric and flesh behind. But the 15 damage dealt him is negated as you feel a wave of hatred and pain emanate from him.

Extending a hand, the Robed One clenches his fist tightly as he locks you in the binds of a Grip. Suddenly, your airway is pinched off by unseen forces when the Robed One rolls a 17. You are incapable of attack as you levitate off the ground, and you take five damage, giving you a damage penalty.

But this display of power does not go unnoticed. Kay, frantic to save you, launches a chain of super-snap attacks on Hargan, each of which he dodges to save his life. Out of four unbelievable thrusts, two skim him for 15 damage and 17 damage each.

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ? (11)/24/39

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 49/38

Tanic: 12/60/38

Kay: 14/7/37

---

"Pitiful," the Robed One laughs.

Trickster
The tightening around his throat throws Tanic into a panic, and he throws out his hand, using the Force to push his adversary away.

(Combat Push)

Captain REX
Your foe does not dodge for three reasons. One, any action he takes would break the Grip. Two, Hatred is active; he is not allowed to dodge. Three, Combat Push does no damage to Named Characters, though it is possible to break the Grip with it.

But your roll falls short. Slowly he crushes the life from you, your throat constricted by his telekinetic attack. You reach 70 damage and the Death Check, which you pass easily.

This time, Kay decides that Hargan is not quite worth the attention she has been giving him. She super-snaps on him again to keep him occupied, then attempts to use Disrupt against the Robed One. She rolls poorly and it is ineffective...

Hargan fires, but Force Dodge keeps Kay clear.

---

ALPHA STATION BATTLE

Control Room- Far Side

???: ? (7)/24/41

Control Room- Center

Commander Hargan: 49/42

Tanic: 9/70/41

Kay: 10/7/42

---

The Robed One cackles. "None can contest the will of the Puppet Master. Mine is strongest."

Trickster
Tanic will use Draw on his pistol, then shoot the guy.

Captain REX
Unfortunately, the Puppet Master simply tightens his Grip when you try it. Instinctually, you grab for your throat, dropping your lightsaber.

Beset by Hargan's assault rifle, Kay decides to finish the Commander before turning her attention to your attacker. A super-snap cuts through his leg, causing him to fall to one knee as he takes 14 damage. Then she runs him through, her lightsaber piercing through his chest and emerging through his spine. He collapses, having failed his Death Check at 88 damage.

She strides over, lightsaber poised to cut down your attacker. Presented with this new threat, he gives one final squeeze to your windpipe as Kay makes her way over. Taken to 75 damage, you roll another Death Check... but it's a fail by two.

Lacking air, you start to lose consciousness just as he releases you. You thud heavily onto the floor, gasping for breath.

Trickster
Well... Shit.

Captain REX
You are able to hold on to consciousness, but your throat has hardly been done any favors. It is painful to breath, though your lungs welcome air greedily.

Kay holds her lightsaber angled towards the Puppet Master, approaching cautiously. He stands his ground, concealing his pistol beneath his robes.

"Who are you?" she asks.

"I am the Puppet Master," he replies, simply.

"I can sense great hatred within you," Kay says, positioning herself between you and him. "Such mindless rage is fuel for the Dark Side."

"You don't say."

Kay opens her mouth to say something when the Tap. Tap. Tap. begins again. It is louder, but farther away, echoing from the maintenance shafts that the troopers used to access the room.

Your head throbs with each Tap.

"What's wrong, Master Jedi?" the Puppet Master asks. "Sense something out of the ordinary?"

Tanic, something isn't right about all of this.

Trickster
He'll try and get up, still sensing for the source of the sound.

Captain REX
The sound crescendos as its source grows nearer.

Within moments, men in jumpsuits walk single file out of the maintenance shafts. They are workers on the Alpha Station. Some carry heavy tools, but most are unarmed.

They thump their boots against the floor or their hands and tools against the wall in rhythm, causing the Tap. Tap. Tap. to fill the room.

Their expressions are blank, their eyes rolled back into their heads, their jaws slack.

"What have you done to them?" Kay asks incredulously.

"They've joined with me," the Puppet Master says, folding his arms across his chest. "I give you the opportunity to do so willingly..."

Trickster
Tanic smothers his fear with confidence in Kay. He tries to regulate his breathing enough to start moving again.

Captain REX
Kay takes a step back. Keeping her lightsaber pointed towards the Puppet Master, she offers you a spare hand.

"Are you alright, Tanic?" she asks. "Can you stand?"

"My offer stands!" the Puppet Master persists. "Will you join me?"

Kay shoots him a wary glare, then looks to you for your answer.

Trickster
"Who - who is he?" Tanic gasps as he cluthces her hand to stand. "I won't surrender myself to him!"

Captain REX
"Nor will I," Kay responds, pulling you to your feet. "Now, do you think you can run?"

The workers weave their way around the room, keeping to the walls. Tap. Tap. Tap. Very soon they will have the entrance, and your exit.

Trickster
"Shall we retreat?" Tanic asks, as he makes sure he can move upright.

Captain REX
You can move just fine, but you're somewhat out of breath.

"Absolutely," Kay says. "Go!"

With that, Kay pushes you towards the exit and starts running herself, evading the corpses of the Garel troopers on the floor.

Trickster
Tanic runs, disigniting his lightsabre.

Captain REX
The Puppet Master laughs as you make a break for it. Kay uses the Force to activate the door mechanism, causing the blast door to slide away just as you reach it. You slip through before the workers have a chance to stop you.

But this does not deter them from giving chase. They become a wave of human bodies, throwing themselves down the stairs after you without a sound other than their heavy breathing.

"We have to get to the ship!" Kay shouts. She keeps her lightsaber out, keeping it pointed in front of her should anyone try to bar your progress.

Trickster
Tanic follows close behind, attempting to use the Force to close any doors behind them.

Captain REX
It is difficult to focus on anything other than running, your head still swimming from the near-suffocation that the Puppet Master dealt you. Not a great many doors as there is, other than emergency blast doors that are operated in the control room...

You sprint down the stairwell that carries you to the lower levels of the Alpha Station, closely pursued by the silent workers. Ahead of you, more workers burst from behind doorways and leap out from behind machinery, trying to cut you off. Kay, still pulling you along, simply weaves through the masses until you reach the docking bay.

"Inside, quickly!" she says, shoving you towards the door as she turns towards the workers with her lightsaber.

Trickster
Tanic runs into the ship, heading for the cockpit, to get it in ready for takeoff.

Captain REX
Kay steps in behind you and shuts the door. As soon as it closes, she sets to welding it closed with her lightsaber, melting the door into the frame. In the darkness of the icy hangar, the molten metal burns warm and bright.

She steps back to examine her handiwork. The door is thick; without blaster weapons or your noble weapons, the workers will not be able to breach it, and there are no maintenance entrances into the bay.

"We can't leave," Kay says. "Not yet."

Trickster
"We should. Bring back reinforcements. Authorise stronger weapons."

Captain REX
Kay deactivates her lightsaber, replacing it at her belt.

"No," she says, firmly. "Destroying those that this Puppet Master has set against us is not the correct path. Can you not sense how horribly wrong this situation is?"

The workers claw and slam against the door, but they do not cry out or scream or make any other noise whatsoever. Eventually they give up, realizing that they will not be able to breach... and settle into the rhythmic Tap. Tap. Tap.

Trickster
"What do you suggest, then, Master?" Tanic asks. His confidence is low: Jedi Knights aren't supposed to run away.

(Sorry about the ridiculously long time between posts, Rex.)

Captain REX
(No problem.)

Kay holds up a hand, as if pausing the conversation, and moves over to the starship you took to reach the Alpha Station. She goes through her equipment for a moment, eventually retrieving a cylindrical device. It has a grip at one end with an activator matrix, like a lightsaber, but the other end is a conical, perforated club.

"We must use nonlethal forms of subdual," Kay proposes. "These are innocents that this Puppet Master has corrupted! Do you have your pistols?"

Trickster
Tanic produces them, his face set.
"What do you want me to do?"

Captain REX
"Can they be set for stun?"

Trickster
Tanic thinks for a moment. "If you give me a moment, I can probably adjust the power cells."

I guess he takes some tools and quickly takes apart his pistols to expose the power source, then makes them less powerful...?

Captain REX
Jury-rigging the pistols to translate power from the batteries into a nonlethal blast is relatively simple. But it does take time, in which Kay can tend to some of your wounds and get your damage back down to zero.

Your throat is still a little sore, obviously, but by the time you finish, you're ready for action!

"Now... we're going back out there. Your pistols should be more proficient for taking down these workers without permanent harm. As will this."

She produces the cylindrical device again and flips the activator. The conical end produces strings of energy from the perforations. You recognize it as a high-powered stun baton, a little used device lovingly nicknamed the Jedi Nightstick.

Trickster
Tanic nods.
"We're going to take him down?"

He hooks his sabre to his belt, and flourishes his pistols.

Captain REX
Kay nods. "He is a menace to the safety of citizens of the Republic. We can't allow him to do as he pleases. I sensed the Dark Side in him... he must be brought down."

Kay returns to the ship to report to the Council of your confrontation with the Puppet Master.

Your intuitive senses trigger briefly, Tanic. This room isn't entirely safe.

Trickster
Tanic looks around, using the Force to find the danger.

Captain REX
Above you.

Trickster
He looks up. Is it possible to send a flare of emotion (warning) via the Force to Kay?

Captain REX
A simple vocal warning would do, if her senses have not already kicked in.

Nothing above but ceiling...

Trickster
Gunna use sense, then, while aiming upwards with a pistol.

Captain REX
You sense multiple lifeforms above you... but no minds.

Trickster
Is there any access points/vents in the ceiling?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>