Really how powerful is the sentry?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ultimatethor
Their seem to be alot of divergent opinions on the power level of the sentry. I am not a sentry fan myself but i would like to know his power level. Since he did own terrax while supposedly not using full power id say hes around surfer level but not at the power of a millions suns level yet. The problem is he does have some very good showings like wiping the minds of every one on earth and some very bad showings like struggling with a hellicarrier. However he did beat the void who is pretty powerful afterall he di break all of hulks bones.

Soljer
He's powerful enough to slightly slow the descent of a helicarrier. smile

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Soljer
He's powerful enough to slightly slow the descent of a helicarrier. smile

and somehow not destroy a few city blocks with an energy tornado. big grin

Nod
Not powerful enough.

WrathfulDwarf
HE WAS HOLDING BACK!!!!!!!

lolz

Val
Originally posted by Nod
Not powerful enough.
thumb up

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by Nod
Not powerful enough.

I tell ya, Marvel and their ****ing hype.

Larceny
Who's Sentry?

King_Mungi
Originally posted by Larceny
Who's Sentry?

Sentry

shifty

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by King_Mungi
Sentry

shifty

Yeah, because of Wiki I was confused about who Sentry was for weeks blink

Tony Stark
Duh... He's as powerful as a million exploding suns. big grin

DigiMark007
Funny that people wait for a couple bad showings then lay into him like he was supposed to be f*cking Galactus or something. One, he's a hero. There's a limit to how powerful they can make him without it being boring. Second, it's comics. If Galactus came to Earth I'm sure a writer would write up Sentry to be able to stalemate him for a while. It's based on need and the storyline, not absolute continuity of power.

Beyond that, stuff like the Terrax and Absorbing Man feats still put him higher than most.

Honestly, I can't see why everyone loves being so goddamn smug about him.

guy222
he stalemated galactus big grin

endrict
Originally posted by Nod
Not powerful enough.

True.

Soljer
Originally posted by DigiMark007
like he was supposed to be f*cking Galactus or something.

Cause Spiderman said so!

endrict
Originally posted by Grinning Goku
I tell ya, Marvel and their ****ing hype.

And fanboys

iceman24567
He's powerful enough to stalemate da skyfather level World breaker Hulk. eek! crazy

endrict
Originally posted by iceman24567
He's powerful enough to stalemate da skyfather level World breaker Hulk. eek! crazy

Skylevel? laughing laughing laughing fanboy

moonknight11
Funny that people wait for a couple bad showings then lay into him like he was supposed to be f*cking Galactus or something. One, he's a hero. There's a limit to how powerful they can make him without it being boring. Second, it's comics. If Galactus came to Earth I'm sure a writer would write up Sentry to be able to stalemate him for a while. It's based on need and the storyline, not absolute continuity of power.

Beyond that, stuff like the Terrax and Absorbing Man feats still put him higher than most.

Quoted For Truth.

endrict
Funny that people wait for a couple bad showings then lay into him like he was supposed to be f*cking Galactus or something.
One, he's a hero.There's a limit to how powerful they can make him without it being boring. Second, it's comics. If Galactus came to Earth I'm sure a writer would write up Sentry to be able to stalemate him for a while. It's based on need and the storyline, not absolute continuity of power.Honestly, I can't see why everyone loves being so goddamn smug about him.

-Because he's over hyped or shitty writers.
-Superman is a hero and Sentry is not any where near as powerful as him.
-But when AM came to earth and Superman or Green Lantern didn't have troubles lifting stuff like cars for a example...they still remained consistent.
-Because the writers are shit or the character sucks.

Bouboumaster
Low-level herald.

endrict
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Low-level herald.

Not even.

Val

The entire basis of his character is that he's the most powerful guy around. Honestly, it's just kind of amusing when he falters or fails to stack up.

iceman24567
Originally posted by endrict
Skylevel? laughing laughing laughing fanboy Im no fanboy Hulk smash universe.thumbdown

DigiMark007
-Because he's over hyped or shitty writers.
-Superman is a hero and Sentry is not any where near as powerful as him.
-But when AM came to earth and Superman or Green Lantern didn't have troubles lifting stuff like cars for a example...they still remained consistent.
-Because the writers are shit or the character sucks.

First two are opinions. And most of the hype came from internet forums and such, not Marvel. Check out early Sentry vs. threads ("Sentry vs. JLA" etc.) and you'll see what I mean.

If you believe the third one, you don't read half of GL or Supes comics. Like any other character, their powers match the story and its needs, and fluctuate wildly. The helicarrier thing might be a low showing, but isn't a reason to throw a character into the trash heap unless you have an ingrained bias against him to begin with.

Fourth is opinion too. And a hasty one at that, since he really hasn't been around for a while, and his short-lived solo series wasn't half bad.

No, fanboys (either for or against him) decided he wasn't going to be sh*t and have been attacking him every chance they get. Personally I kinda like him, since it gives Marvel another top tier to play with (there aren't nearly as many around Marvel Earth as there are in DC).

Superboy Prime
Originally posted by Val
The entire basis of his character is that he's the most powerful guy around. Honestly, it's just kind of amusing when he falters or fails to stack up.

I agree. Problem is he couldn't live up to his hype.

To be honest I blame the writters.

Laguna L
The helicarrier was more powerful than Galactus.

Helicarrier>Galactus=Sentry (they did in fact stalemate)

Badabing
Moving to Comic Books....

Mr Master
Here are a few new angles of the battle between WWK & Sentry:

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8798/70306573yj0.th.jpg

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3749/99747499io5.th.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/3478/43730349ha6.th.jpg

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3365/21640595uw5.th.jpg

"Our pal the Hulk,
who everyone kept saying was a monster,
just saved New York by taking out the Sentry"

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7369/13984885mn9.th.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4281/24860883dn4.th.jpg

hunbu04
is this the same Helicarrier that mortal hercules had no problem carrying with nrealtive ease and just recently in incredible herc 111 we had hercules lifting 20 city block while making out with namora.
according to the sentry profile he possessed strength and durability that rival the likes of hercules and thor but so far we have not done anythinh to put him on these gus level yet. He is just an overhype superman want to be.

WrathfulDwarf
Marvel just wanted to have their own Superman.

So they came out with Sentry....

Thor owns Sentry. mmm

Val
I really want someone to kill Cho.

endrict
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Marvel just wanted to have their own Superman.

So they came out with Sentry....

mmm

Yup, but Gladiator is a lot more cooler of a Superman clone. I only wish Marvel would work on him more...give him his own series with good writers and artist, he can be great!!!!!

roughrider
Yup, but Gladiator is a lot more cooler of a Superman clone. I only wish Marvel would work on him more...give him his own series with good writers and artist, he can be great!!!!!

Unfortunately, Gladiator goes beyond being an interesting analogue version of Supes - which is what Hyperion is, and a few others. He's a wink-wink nudge-nudge intercompany in-joke, a copy right to the name. Sentry is more like Miracleman, but he doesn't get potrayed right that often.

Still, at least he doesn't lose fights to someone like Batman, which Supes does.

endrict
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
I agree. Problem is he couldn't live up to his hype.

To be honest I blame the writters.

And this is what it comes down to for The Sentry....for now anyways.

tjcoady
Sentry is as powerful as the storyline calls for. The exact same as any other hero. Same reason sometimes Superman can get held in place by big-ass chains in one comic and in the next he's tossing continents.

I honestly have no clue why it bothers people so much. Marvel isn't "hyping" him- you all are.

And I have a feeling most people who complain about him didn't reason his mini, and kind of miss the point of his character.

roughrider
Sentry's been getting all this page time while Thor was away. Now that he's back, Marvel should make up their mind on where they want him power-wise, for good.

King Kandy

Yeah tell me about it. They act like a couple of bad showings override all his good ones.

Larceny
Originally posted by tjcoady
Sentry is as powerful as the storyline calls for. The exact same as any other hero. Same reason sometimes Superman can get held in place by big-ass chains in one comic and in the next he's tossing continents.

I honestly have no clue why it bothers people so much. Marvel isn't "hyping" him- you all are.

And I have a feeling most people who complain about him didn't reason his mini, and kind of miss the point of his character.

When has Sentry ever tossed a continent?

endrict
It all comes down to someones opinion, I might not like him because the lack of high feats, the next person may like him how he is today.

Larceny
It all comes down to someones opinion, I might not like him because the lack of high feats, the next person may like him how he is today.

His high feats aren't really high.

endrict
Originally posted by Larceny
His high feats aren't really high.

I know, but some other people might like him still, even with low feats most of the time.

Laminator_X
The Sentry is as powerful as Bob thinks he ought to be, at that particular moment. The Sentry's powers don't follow any sort of rational pattern because they're manifestations of a delusional reality warper.

Strength feats are always inconsistent (one day he can carry around an oil tanker, the next he needs help with the helicarrier, etc). Look at the other things he's done.

The biggest deal to my mind are still:
1) Mind wiping everyone on earth without even meaning to.
2) Not even being phased by Terrax's Power Cosmic.
3) Creating a hurricane that spun the wrong direction and smashing it into NYC (as the Void)
4) Possibly bringing Lindy back to life (his healing powers were touched on in the second mini as well).

I don't for one minute think his tantrum in WWH represents his upper limits either. It's all about his state of mind.

Faceman
I see Sentry as a low level Herald.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Faceman
I see Sentry as a low level Herald.

Well ok, how do you feel about Terrax?

endrict
Originally posted by Laminator_X
The Sentry is as powerful as Bob thinks he ought to be, at that particular moment. The Sentry's powers don't follow any sort of rational pattern because they're manifestations of a delusional reality warper.

Strength feats are always inconsistent (one day he can carry around an oil tanker, the next he needs help with the helicarrier, etc). Look at the other things he's done.

3) Creating a hurricane that spun the wrong direction and smashing it into NYC (as the Void)
4) Possibly bringing Lindy back to life (his healing powers were touched on in the second mini as well).

I don't for one minute think his tantrum in WWH represents his upper limits either. It's all about his state of mind.

So does his power set works much like Gladiator's? in terms of his confidence level.

lando005
Ya know the #1 thing people use to bash sentry is the helicarrer feat, but people fail to realize is that it is not a low showing at all. Comics still require a certain amount of common sense, if sentry would have used his strenght to stop the carrier in one single instant he would have punched right through it, injure the people onboard and cause debrie to fall on the city. Sups would have had the same problem, any high end flying brick would have, you cant stop something as massive as that in a single instant without parts or all of it falling apart and making things worse. Here's another reference, something we have all seen time and time again, superman stopping a run away train, what does he do he gets in front of it and pushes it to a stop, the train pushes sups back for quite a while before he stops it, does that mean hea's weak? NO he's applying enough force to stop the momentum of the object in motion, same as the carrier. So let's not hear another thing about the carrier thing unless you want to make yourself look like an ass

Faceman
Originally posted by Alfheim
Well ok, how do you feel about Terrax?

I see him as a Herald that jobs a lot...

Mr Master
Originally posted by Laminator_X
The Sentry

I particularly enjoyed watching Sentry
contain a Cosmic Containment Unit for a moment.

Sentry also touched negative space, (basically without ridiculous durability you die)
he said it only hurt him a little I believe.
Reed was amazed ... not bad for sunny boy. smile

Superherovandal
Originally posted by lando005
Ya know the #1 thing people use to bash sentry is the helicarrer feat, but people fail to realize is that it is not a low showing at all. Comics still require a certain amount of common sense, if sentry would have used his strenght to stop the carrier in one single instant he would have punched right through it, injure the people onboard and cause debrie to fall on the city. Sups would have had the same problem, any high end flying brick would have, you cant stop something as massive as that in a single instant without parts or all of it falling apart and making things worse. Here's another reference, something we have all seen time and time again, superman stopping a run away train, what does he do he gets in front of it and pushes it to a stop, the train pushes sups back for quite a while before he stops it, does that mean hea's weak? NO he's applying enough force to stop the momentum of the object in motion, same as the carrier. So let's not hear another thing about the carrier thing unless you want to make yourself look like an ass Supes can and has.

manjaro
its funny cuz when i was reading it i didnt get the feeling that it was a low end feat...but still only gladiator and superman could have stopped it in a instant cuz they would have just wrapped a psionic field around it the way glad did the baxter building, the way superman does with downing airplanes, and busted oil tankers. sentry had to compensate for the carrier crumbling under its own weight... and saving hundreds of lives

lando005
Originally posted by manjaro
its funny cuz when i was reading it i didnt get the feeling that it was a low end feat...but still only gladiator and superman could have stopped it in a instant cuz they would have just wrapped a psionic field around it the way glad did the baxter building, the way superman does with downing airplanes, and busted oil tankers. sentry had to compensate for the carrier crumbling under its own weight... and saving hundreds of lives exactly when you take a moment to think about it it's not a low end feat at all

Laminator_X
So does his power set works much like Gladiator's? in terms of his confidence level.

A little bit. The Sentry doesn't even really have a clearly definable powerset, insofar as his very existence is to be Bob's idea of what a super-hero ought to be. He is capable of doing what Bob imagines him to be capable of doing. The Sentry never raised the dead before (that we know of). Confidence plays in to it somewhat, insofar as he is now aware of how messed up he is, and questions his own abilities and perceptions.

For his true potential, look at some of the things the Void has done too. Think about that backwards spinning Hurricane. Think about effortlessly breaking all the (pacified) Hulk's bones. Think about the assembled might of the NA, FF, X-men, and the Innhuman Royal Family accounting for essentially nothing against him. The Void is just as much a manifestation of Bobs thoughts as the Sentry is. It's all the same power, just applied through the twisted filter of delusions and multiple personality disorder.

Violent2Dope
Strong enough to stalemate Galactus but to weak to beat World War Hulk.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Faceman
I see him as a Herald that jobs a lot...

Fair enough.

Laminator_X
At least in his case it's legitimate Character Induced Stupidity, rather than just randomly loosing for no explicable reason.

llagrok
He held a cosmic cube once, right?

Soljer
Originally posted by llagrok
He held a cosmic cube once, right?

Correction: contained.

'Holding' a cosmic cube is no big deal - the Red Skull has held one.

NiņoAraņa
why do people say that he mindwiped the planet?

Nod
He made people forget he existed.

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by Nod
He made people forget he existed. yes, with the help of Reed Richards and technology...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.