any other fans of british cinema

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

superr
on the basis that this is an american based site i think my topic qualifies
from brief encounter to the girl with the pearl earing to hammer to carry on im a brit ho loves it all.

SoylentBlue
Seen the Carry On movies, though not as funny as Monty Python they're still a good laugh.

And Snatch is bloody brilliant...

superr
Heres a list if some of my favorites
The Carry Ons--- Henry and Up the Khyber -- in particular
Hammer House of Horror
the night of the demon
Brief encounter
A Night To Remember----worth comparing with titanic
A man for all Seasons
both versions of Henry V
!0 Rillington Place----fictional horror is great but this was for real
Girl with a pearl earing

superr
and oh yes of course--james bond--connery and moore

exanda kane
James Bond isn't really British. In fact, I find that association an insult.

Atonement was "the great British film" this year, and quite an achievement when you consider the Dunkirk sequence with around 500 extras. Shane Meadows and Paddy Considine are set for a boxing film, which Meadows joked as Considine's "Raging Bull."

jaden101
anything from meadows and considine will get the thumbs up from me...i now have the full back catalogue that i could find for meadows films and i love them all but dead mans shoes is a cut above

MildPossession
I prefer all his other films above Dead Man's Shoes(apart from Once Upon), still a good film though. I have all his main films on dvd too.

exanda kane
I rate Dead Man's Shoes higher than the rest actually.

Has anyone seen Once yet? Thats supposed to be good. Think I might be seeing that next tuesday.

jaden101
just ordered it today..hope its good...let me know if you've seen it and what it's like

Sadako of Girth
You may rest assured, Jaden.

You may rest assured indeed.

Its the best British revenge film Ive seen.
And one of the best revenge films ive seen period.

A gritty masterpiece, imho.

jaden101
i meant "once"...i've seen dead mans shoes...i presume once is the irish film about the busker and the czech girl

exanda kane
I saw Once at a screening and the film startled sizzling and caught on fire (lol). Thus, I ain't seen the last 20 minutes, but up til then it was very good.

jaden101
haha...that happened to me at cloverfield...although the projector exploded during the trailers so i never got to see any of it at that screening

Phat J
so dead mans shoes is a revenge film?

exanda kane
Yeah, you could put it that way I guess.

jaden101
yes...it's a revenge film with a brilliant and poignant twist

James Bond series, Monty Python and Guy Ritchie films are all good.

exanda kane
I should start a petition so that people recognise James Bond as American, not British.

Phat J
guy ritchies producers films are way better than his ever were.

exanda kane
Gangster No.1 was better than anything Guy Ritcher ever touched in that 'genre# anyway.

jaden101
Originally posted by exanda kane
Gangster No.1 was better than anything Guy Ritcher ever touched in that 'genre# anyway.

good call...brilliant, very underrated film...

Phat J
they're completely different movies, but yeah, it is better.

has anybody seen the reckoning?

MildPossession
I adore Gangster No.1, pretty pretty pretty good.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Phat J
they're completely different movies, but yeah, it is better.

Aye, but they both came out in a similar period of British cinema, when Guy Richie films were considered cool. For that, they'll always be linked in my mind, It inspired alot of poorer imitators, Lock Stock did, but Gangster No.1 really gets to the core of the whole british gangster schtick.

Nah, I haven't. Any good?

exanda kane
Oh yeah and the line David Thwelis says after Paul Bettany has basically destoryed that guys head..."I like that...Creative." Had me in fits.

suprmanvsbatman
James Bond isn't really British. In fact, I find that association an insult.

Atonement was "the great British film" this year, and quite an achievement when you consider the Dunkirk sequence with around 500 extras. Shane Meadows and Paddy Considine are set for a boxing film, which Meadows joked as Considine's "Raging Bull."

lol why do you feel insulted by that confused

exanda kane
Because it's always been made with American money, and only made because of the lucrative tax breaks and other benefits of filming in Britain in the late 50s, early 60s. What on earth has James Bond got to do with Britain anyway, apart from the one character?

suprmanvsbatman
I suppose your right, he makes us look cool cool stick out tongue

Phat J
Aye, but they both came out in a similar period of British cinema, when Guy Richie films were considered cool. For that, they'll always be linked in my mind, It inspired alot of poorer imitators, Lock Stock did, but Gangster No.1 really gets to the core of the whole british gangster schtick.

Nah, I haven't. Any good?
i dont know, i havent seen it. its paul bettany and paul mcguigan though. its the film they did a couple years after gangster. its got willem defoe in and the chick from the croupier in it as well.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Phat J
i dont know, i havent seen it. its paul bettany and paul mcguigan though. its the film they did a couple years after gangster. its got willem defoe in and the chick from the croupier in it as well.

Sounds like a lot of good people in there.

Originally posted by suprmanvsbatman
I suppose your right, he makes us look cool cool stick out tongue

In some ways he totally does; fast cars, a lot of women, nice suits and a hectic lifestyle, but on the other hand he is part of a sheer adoration of Queen, Establishment and Country that makes Britain look dated frankly. He's an upper middle class, snobby bastard and a prime example of the Britain which has been left behind. The progress of democracy over the years breaking down rigid social mobility and monarchy is taken to the frying pan when you consider Bond.

That's all a little pretentious as reason to take offence, I agree before you point it out, but I think Britain deserves a secret agent worthy of his countries modernity.

Harry Palmer on the other hand, is the nuts.

TheSpade
I like British films for the most part.

Most of what Shane Meadows has done has been excellent, wasn't a fan of Once Upon A Time In Mexico but Dead Mans Shoes, 24/7, This Is England, Somers Town all excellent. smile

Other notable mentions:

Layer Cake.
Trainspotting.
Lock Stock.
Human Traffic.
From London to Brighton.
The Business.
Sexy Beast.

snuff hunter
my fav british films are

trainspotting
hellraiser
alien
carry on films

thats it,,

MildPossession
Not a fan of Neil Marshall films?

jaden101
Originally posted by TheSpade

Most of what Shane Meadows has done has been excellent, wasn't a fan of Once Upon A Time In Mexico
Yeah...Probably weren't a fan of that cause he didn't make that film.

And yes i'm just saying this to be an arse cause I know what film you meant to say.

MildPossession
Ha ha, I didn't notice that. Midlands darling, Midlands. stick out tongue

wicker_man
I love Brit cinema:

The Carry on franchise, as British as Fish'n'Chips and the Queen
same for;
Hammer Horror and The Ealing Comedies

Bless This House: The Movie

Make Mine A Million

The Big Job

1930's Hitchcock

The Wicker Man

Chaplin

Mrs Brown

Dog Soldiers

Dead Man's Shoes

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Kevin & Perry Go Large

Brief Encounter

The Parole Officer

The Witchfinder General

28 Days Later

Zombie Diaries

Shaun of the Dead

Hot Fuzz

Horror Express

& Michael Collins

Wanderer11

wicker_man

wicker_man
I recommend anyone who likes gritty psychological films to watch The Hide, it's kind of like The Odd Couple meets Deliverance.
Who'd have thought the simple premise of two men in a wooden shack discussing everything from power tools to inappropriate jokes to be so enthralling.

MildPossession
Oh in the bird watching hut right, I've wanted to see that since I heard about it at the London Film Festival, sure this is where I read about it.

Wanderer11
Originally posted by wicker_man
Awesome taste sir, 10 Rilington Place is a classic.

It is one of my all time favourite films. I still enjoy as much as I did the first time.

Forgotten Jedi
Trainspotting
Shallow Grave
Gangster No.1
The Full Monty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.