The one thing I hate most about Superman Returns

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Martin
I hate the fact that Lois Lane is married and has moved on, that's lame. Kent and Lane are supposed to be together. And I always thought Lane was supposed to be thick and have a body. Bosworth is skinny and shockingly frail. There's nothing making me say hey, that woman's fine or something like that. What do ya'll think?

ankur29
Originally posted by Darth Martin
I hate the fact that Lois Lane is married and has moved on, that's lame. Kent and Lane are supposed to be together. And I always thought Lane was supposed to be thick and have a body. Bosworth is skinny and shockingly frail. There's nothing making me say hey, that woman's fine or something like that. What do ya'll think?

to be honest i have hated most of the comics book chicks in movies so far but the new betty ross shoudl be good for teh role in the new hulk ... however kate bosworth & kirsten dunst are not really good looking or hot at all they both need more curves & a better rack , get some meat stop dieting like kate moss...... mad ...

Darth Martin
Thank you. Does anyone else think anything of this?

Batman-Prime
The Movie was good, but I also hate the fact that Lois f*cks with another man. I also dislike the fact that Supermans child killed, or that Superman himself killed.... except of this it was nice.

Jeniffer Conelly rocks!! wink

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
The Movie was good, but I also hate the fact that Lois f*cks with another man. I also dislike the fact that Supermans child killed, or that Superman himself killed.... except of this it was nice.

Jeniffer Conelly rocks!! wink Connelly isn't in the movie is she? confused

MattDay
she isnt married to richard, just tried to move on from supermans disappearance

Batman-Prime
Connelly isn't in the movie is she? confused

No, it was just an comment for ankur29, about the comic film chicks, he said he hated most of those girls wink.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by MattDay
she isnt married to richard, just tried to move on from supermans disappearance She oughta be married to him. That's lame, it's supposed to be Clark and Lois. Not Lois and some nobody. Overall, I don't think this movie sucks as bad as people make it out to be.

roughrider

I think you need to read more comics and know some history.
Just as Superman's costume in the film was an amalgam of different versions of history, so too was the appearance of Lois - she reminded me most of the Lois you would see drawn in the 1940's comics.

And the theme of film is about how necessary Superman is to the world, and how the world seemed to move on after he left Earth for five years. That extended to Lois eventually settling down with someone else (engaged, not married), but she only moved on intellectually, not emotionally. This was paralleled by Superman's need to understand if he truly had a place among humans (and with Lois), or whether his true purpose forces him to stay above them all as a protector.
They left themselves room to explore this more in coming films, if they happen.

Darth Martin
True I just think that someone who has more of a body should play Lois. erm

super pr*xy
i absolutely hated kate bosworth as lois lane. there are a lot of better choices than her.

MattDay
heck ive seen recent pics of her, she's started to read my letters and fill out alot now, more curvier... she was too skinney before, u dont need supermans strength to lift her up.

returns was well recieved... rotten tomatoes rates it higher than spiderman 3, and is one of the best of the most recent superhero films, only batman & spiderman have done better from recent films.

apoc001
Most of the movie was alright. Kevin Spacey is a great actor. However, what's with the kid? Lois doesn't have a kid, and neither does Superman. What's the point of them having a kid? It's just dumb. That's not what I hated about the movie, though. The thing that got me the most was the stupid shots of Kal Penn. Yes, we get it, he's a henchman. Can we move on now? Plus, he didn't have a single line in the movie, he was just in it so they could say, "Look, it has Kal Penn. This has got to be a good movie then, right?" I think I was the only one who didn't like that, though. The part where Superman lands in the blink of an eye was cool.

ragesRemorse
I hated the fact that the film was essentially a remake of the first superman movie

I think they should have just made cyclops superman rather than the boyfriend whom gets the shaft. Cyclops just cant get the pussy, first he gets shafted by wolverine, now superman

MattDay
lol @ ragesremorse, he puts it on himself really,

well he did have a line he just practically doesn't say much at all,

well singer and the writers did borrow from the best superman movies, 1 and 2 by linking it with the second because they had sex when he was temporarily affected by red sun radiation so he could have sex with her without killing her, then of course according to returns after he beat zod he went in search of krpyton leaving lois up the duff and with no man in her life... many women can sympathize with that lol

Darth Martin
They just have to do something about it.

MattDay
not suggesting killing the kid are you?

Darth Martin
What's the point of the kid? That's another thing!

MattDay
meh, like all things in life, you can't always get what u want

brainchild81
I also dislike the fact that Supermans child killed, or that Superman himself killed... Supes killed somebody? All I remember him doing was picking up heavy things. That's why the movie sucked. If I wanted to see that type of shit I'd watch a strongman competition. Singer should have gotten off of Donner's nut's and started fresh also.

pr1983
Originally posted by brainchild81
Singer should have gotten off of Donner's nut's and started fresh also.

co-signed.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by brainchild81
Supes killed somebody? All I remember him doing was picking up heavy things. That's why the movie sucked. If I wanted to see that type of shit I'd watch a strongman competition. Singer should have gotten off of Donner's nut's and started fresh also.

laughing out loud laughing

Master-Borg
bryan singer sucks as a director

kate bosworth sucks as lois

lex luthor sucks as a villain

brandon routh sucks as an actor

superman returns sucks as a plot

that sums up my feelings on Superman Returns

(I liked a few scenes from the movie though, but it could've been so much better)

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Master-Borg
bryan singer sucks as a director

kate bosworth sucks as lois

lex luthor sucks as a villain

brandon routh sucks as an actor

superman returns sucks as a plot

that sums up my feelings on Superman Returns

(I liked a few scenes from the movie though, but it could've been so much better) you forgot superman sucks in anything besides his cartoon appearances.

Raoul
Originally posted by psycho gundam
you forgot superman sucks in anything besides his cartoon appearances.

because you are SUCH a good judge of superman...

psycho gundam
thanks

zeel

Must admit i dont think kate played a good lois she was to weak and frail. Spacey played a great lex and brandon did the best he could to portray supes. This superman was less like the comic books and more like real life........What if superman was real? I would like to see the next supes movie follow the marvel path and be true to the comics and id like to see more action. All in all superman returns was very good considering. Most people that didnt like it went into the movie excpecting the greatest superman movie of all time. Theses same people get disappointed time and time and time and time and time again.

Go into any movie with lower excpectations and you will find yourself prolly likeing it a bit more then ya think =)

zeel
Originally posted by ankur29
to be honest i have hated most of the comics book chicks in movies so far but the new betty ross shoudl be good for teh role in the new hulk ... however kate bosworth & kirsten dunst are not really good looking or hot at all they both need more curves & a better rack , get some meat stop dieting like kate moss...... mad ...

Ya dunst needs more in the breast department and she has no curves WTF are you talking about. Kate was horrible as lois but dunst played a great girlfriend for peter parker. And in all honesty id rather have a better actor with smaller breasts then a 44dd dumb chick that cant read the lines.

zeel
hey what ya guys think bout drew barrymore as lois lane?

dvampire
Originally posted by zeel

Garbage.

Avlon
Originally posted by zeel

http://doulifee.com//Storage/aceatt/Gyakutenprosecutor2/1-3ani-kyouya-nuuu.gif

quanchi112
Hopefully the next movie is 3 times as good as this crapfest. The needed more action and a climactic fight at the end. Not Lex's goons trashing Superman without his personal retaliation.

steverules
They shoulda gotten Katie Price (Jordan) to play Lois Lane because then when they were trapped in the ship and sinking they could used her boobs as a floatation device

Mr Parker

I totally agree with everything you say.I wish they had just left superman alone and didnt make this movie.it was totally unnessary<its not like the case of batman where it WAS absolutely neccessary to reboot that franchise since all the others before it sucked and were a disgrace to the comics,superman and superman 2 got to be the best comicbook movies ever so they shouldnt have made this superman returns crap movie. mad

steverules
Originally posted by Mr Parker
I totally agree with everything you say.I wish they had just left superman alone and didnt make this movie.it was totally unnessary<its not like the case of batman where it WAS absolutely neccessary to reboot that franchise since all the others before it sucked and were a disgrace to the comics,superman and superman 2 got to be the best comicbook movies ever so they shouldnt have made this superman returns crap movie. mad

Actually Batman 1 and 2 were rather good, like with superman though 3 and 4 did bad..I didn't like batman 3 and 4

Placidity
KATE BECKINSALE AS LOUIS LANE KTHANX.

Boobs? Check
Body? Check
Hot? Double Check.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by steverules
Actually Batman 1 and 2 were rather good, like with superman though 3 and 4 did bad..I didn't like batman 3 and 4

no they were a disgrace to the comic.batman killing people in cowardly ways and the worst casting choice in comicbook history.pudgy gut,receding hairline,hald bald,short runt michal keaton for tall,muscular,handsome,full set of hair bruce wayne.a total joke and insult to batman fans,plus making the movie all about the villains with bats having just a supporting role.disgraceful movies that need to be burned. mad

the thing I hated most about superman returns was that Lois was pregnant from superman.god if they make another sequal no way in hell will I see it.

darthmaul1
Superman Returns was crap, Kevin Spacey, I like him but he sucked as Lex. and they bring in Kal Penn as Otto and he has no line what a waste.
and also the laws of physics were messed up when that plane with the shuttle hit Mach 1 and the plane stayed intact no frigin way that would happen the plane would of been ripped to shreds.

Markus Corvinus

It's completely boring when the hero gets the girl with a snap of the fingers. It's better when he faces more & more obstacles that challenge him, and makes him think twice. "Superman Returns" excelled at that part, and that's why I think making Lane get married was a brilliant idea on Singer's part. Casting Bosworth, on the other hand, wasn't as brilliant.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Mr Parker
not like the case of batman where it WAS absolutely neccessary to reboot that franchise since all the others before it sucked and were a disgrace to the comics,

Like how the **** would people who don't read the batman comics know that ?

bet you did'nt think about it from that postion...... roll eyes (sarcastic)

and i'm also with steverules on the older batman movies.

Markus Corvinus
The only bad Batman movies were pretty much Batman Forever & Batman & Robin, every other movie was pretty faithful to the comics.

Zack Fair
The Lois Lane was ugly as ****, and her acting was subpar. However the thing I hated the most was the ****ing kid.

Eel O'Brien
Hated the kid. Superman with child is bad enough. It being his own child is 10x worse.

I also hated the fact that stopping the plane was the most exciting part.

Silent Guardian

Jeniffer Conelly rocks!! wink

what are you talking about?!!!
One the movie sucked! Two killing thing makes it more realistic, deal. And three yes Conelly is cool. But I thought she was hotter when she was younger in like the Rocketeer.

SMIFF-N-WESSON
Originally posted by Silent Guardian
what are you talking about?!!!
One the movie sucked! Two killing thing makes it more realistic, deal. And three yes Conelly is cool. But I thought she was hotter when she was younger in like the Rocketeer.

Yes the movie sucked, the love triangle (as in all current movies) is not needed and as far as the choice of Lois..... (PUKE)

Please do not make another Superman 90210.

bychance
I don't "hat" Bosworth, but they should re-cast. Although the character was also poorly written. She didn't really do much, really? In fact, that whole movie was like watching paint dry. The first half hour I kept on thinking...okay so what is this about?

OB1-adobe
i would have like have seen a complete reboot. Not a lame sequel of dead franachise from 20 years ago, that ended up dead again since no one on the production team thought superman should be epic

xJLxKing
I hate Superman returns for a few reasons.
-Superman has a Son
-Bad actor for Superman
-Lex Luthor is the villian yet again

Silent Guardian
I could deal with Superman's actor, if the writer give him more to work with. I think they should make him work out even more. Supes should be ripped. Get rid of Kate Bosworth. Honestly I would prefer, the girl who plays Lois on Smallville, over her. And yea, get another Villain besides Lex or if it is Lex again, have him come up with something clever/unexpected and truly diabolical, not all the same corny plans, that were good in the 70s.

bychance
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
i would have like have seen a complete reboot. Not a lame sequel of dead franachise from 20 years ago, that ended up dead again since no one on the production team thought superman should be epic

No, because fanboys think Donner is the only way Superman should be depicted. That's why they hate Lois and Clark and Smallville, because they're different interpretations and/or not pre-crisis.

Raoul
Originally posted by bychance
No, because fanboys think Donner is the only way Superman should be depicted. That's why they hate Lois and Clark and Smallville, because they're different interpretations and/or not pre-crisis.

from what i've seen, even the hardcore superman fans (that i know anyways), don't see the donner way of doing things as the only way superman should be done.

they just don't want to have to put up with another returns...

Toku King
I just disliked the movie in general. Other than good special effects and a not-bad job by Kevin Spacey, I can't think of any redeeming quality that the movie had.

super pr*xy
come to think of it, there were only a handful of good scenes in superman returns.. the plane almost-crashing scene, the metropolis gets torn apart scene, the bank robbery scene and superman floating above the earth listening to who needs his help the most scene.

xJLxKing
Originally posted by super pr*xy
come to think of it, there were only a handful of good scenes in superman returns.. the plane almost-crashing scene, the metropolis gets torn apart scene, the bank robbery scene and superman floating above the earth listening to who needs his help the most scene.
The one where he listens to people is the most dumbest thing put on the movie. Everything else I agree.

skygunner41
Originally posted by xJLxKing
The one where he listens to people is the most dumbest thing put on the movie. Everything else I agree.

WHY....?

xJLxKing
Originally posted by skygunner41
WHY....?
He was in space but his cape is moving.

skygunner41
Originally posted by xJLxKing
He was in space but his cape is moving.

SO..?

Tra-EL
Superman Returns was just more of the same. I was sitting in theatre thinking this was going to be AWESOME and when the opening credits came on I immediately got the craps from excitment. I liked the movie because it's been awhile and I finally got to see my hero on the big screen.

BUT..

I felt like I was watching Superman 1 and 2 all over again. f**ck, Singer even used the same lines and same references! This isn't the 80's anymore, and I walked out of there thinking that I just watched Reeves all over again but replaced his image with Routhe's.

I'm happy for the re-boot. Superman needs to be brought back with the times, and the darker movie could put more a$$ in the seats and make him bigger, and badder than ever. ( Atleast I'm hoping.)

Oh yeah, BTW.. ANN HATHAWAY would be the perfect Lois Lane.

unfortunately, I can't post the pic I want.. but google her. She's perfect.

PS. The kid sucked. They jumped the shark right off the bat! Big dissapointment there. Great special effects, though.

SuperkatmanX
I really enjoyed superman returns.., i think its more of take to introduce him to the younger generation again. since the old movies are old and most the kids these days cant relate to it. the next one will be a killer!! hopefully we see brainiac

look on the bright side they could of made it as bad as dragonball evolution..

Wei Phoenix
Yo whats that tune the kid and the dude were playing on the piano?

Raoul
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Yo whats that tune the kid and the dude were playing on the piano?

wasn't chopsticks was it? i haven't seen the movie in ages...

biggest problem with SR? the movie in its entirety, and how much of the budget was wasted when an FX fest like Hancock only cost 150 million.

Wei Phoenix
XlQ31HQ84Dw

It just hit me though. How does the son of Superman have asthma?

Raoul
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
XlQ31HQ84Dw

It just hit me though. How does the son of Superman have asthma?

i'm pretty sure that's Chopsticks, but according to the web it's Heart and Soul... oh well.

PIS.

Red Superfly
Didn't like the fact it was trying to capture the Christopher Reeve Superman character.

It felt stuck in the past, with old-hat political and emotional sentiment from the Reeve-era. It felt dated because of that, almost irrelevant and done to death, not least because of Kevin Spacey basically playing an homage to Gene Hackman, which was terrible because Spacey would make a brilliant Lex if he was allowed to make it his own. It failled in the same way that if Heath Ledger tried to play Jack Nicholsons Joker, we would have missed out on that special performance we got instead. I felt cheated out of a really good Spacey version of Lex. Trying to run the same course just puts everyone involved on auto-pilot. They're just mimicking and copying something classical, Superman Returns completely failled to take the franchise anywhere new or interesting. It said almost nothing. Of all the billions of new things that are possible with a Superman film, we got a shadow, a tracing, of the original Superman formula.

Routh was a great choice for Superman, that's about it. They should start again, completely. Carve out something new rather than trying to retrace Donners world. When people try to reboot something or start anew, it seems to work out far better than someone trying to follow the pre-established and well-worn. Batman and Star Trek enjoyed decent reboots while Superman languishes in it's own archaic movie mythos. It needs to be pulled into the here-and-now, because Superman has been stuck in the past for a while and I don't think Superman should be a dinosaur of the superhero genre, because he doesn't have to be!

snaz2000
...this was one of the movies I'd refused to watch ...along with Titanic, and every other Cameron film after the original Terminator

...not sure why I decided to take the plunge, but since watching, I've been yearning for Hackman to wrap a big chain and chunk of kryptonite around my neck and leave me to drown in a pool of water

if a child was going to be introduced, a homage to Mark Waid and Alex Ross would've been preferable... on second thought, who knows what pain would've ensued with an out of continuity Kingdom Come...

MattDay says, "...they had sex when he was temporarily affected by red sun radiation so he could have sex with her without killing her" ...dude, his manhood would'n't've killed Lois ...her tying to bring his baby to term would have ...and what was with the kid's asthma and the recessive redhead gene ...he looked like Archie's kid

I disagree with Tra-EL... no shark jumping... the Superman franchise has been in a downturn for a while... killed Richard Pryor, too...

Placidity -- Beckinsale wouldn't have worked either... all we remeber is the patent leather... too much sex appeal isn't Lois...

Personally, Thomas Welling would've been a better choice than Routh... at least, I would've known the producers were joking :-|

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Didn't like the fact it was trying to capture the Christopher Reeve Superman character.

It felt stuck in the past, with old-hat political and emotional sentiment from the Reeve-era. It felt dated because of that, almost irrelevant and done to death, not least because of Kevin Spacey basically playing an homage to Gene Hackman, which was terrible because Spacey would make a brilliant Lex if he was allowed to make it his own. It failled in the same way that if Heath Ledger tried to play Jack Nicholsons Joker, we would have missed out on that special performance we got instead. I felt cheated out of a really good Spacey version of Lex. Trying to run the same course just puts everyone involved on auto-pilot. They're just mimicking and copying something classical, Superman Returns completely failled to take the franchise anywhere new or interesting. It said almost nothing. Of all the billions of new things that are possible with a Superman film, we got a shadow, a tracing, of the original Superman formula.

Routh was a great choice for Superman, that's about it. They should start again, completely. Carve out something new rather than trying to retrace Donners world. When people try to reboot something or start anew, it seems to work out far better than someone trying to follow the pre-established and well-worn. Batman and Star Trek enjoyed decent reboots while Superman languishes in it's own archaic movie mythos. It needs to be pulled into the here-and-now, because Superman has been stuck in the past for a while and I don't think Superman should be a dinosaur of the superhero genre, because he doesn't have to be! thumb up

Mindship
Didn't like Routh, the costume, Kate Bosmorth, the kid; and just overall thought the story was nothing special. But whenever that movie comes on, I know when to tune in for the plane, the gatling gun, and the continent lift. Ah gets the chills everytime.

bluewaterrider
I hate the fact that Lois Lane is married and has moved on, that's lame. Kent and Lane are supposed to be together.

If I remember right, Lois Lane is actually NOT married yet, but still has a kid.

By Superman.

Which is wrong on MANY levels.
Arguably more than makes sense to speak of right now.

I always thought Lane was supposed to be thick and have a body. Bosworth is skinny and shockingly frail. There's nothing making me say hey, that woman's fine or something like that. What do ya'll think?

I think the actors chosen were too young. Or at least too young-looking. Certainly too youthful in appearance to convince me that they had known each other for more than 5 years AFTER graduating college.

I think what you're complaining about is that Bosworth did not then have the fullness associated with a 26 year old woman, and I agree, she didn't, 'cause she wasn't.

On the other hand, I did not really get the impression of "shockingly frail". She was in one too many physically demanding scenes to allow for that.

Did you pay attention to how much pounding she took before Superman saved the passenger plane she was in, even above that of the other riders?

Would put the average Olympian in traction, I think ...

Superman Returns Plane Rescue Scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xiwISrp1H4
4 min 47 sec

Actually, you'll think I'm making this up, but, the first time I saw Superman Returns, I caught in on TV, unfortunately missing the first 15 minutes. A foreign student from China happened to come upon me viewing the film. He asked a few questions and I told him all about how, yeah, this is Superman, he's been big this year, they've even brought his cousin back in a TV series they have now called Smallville.

"Cousin?"

Yep. Supergirl. Although she's usually in disguise as this dark-haired girl named Linda in the comics.

My friend sat silent for a bit paying close attention.
Then the plane scene I linked you to above played.

Immediately, of course, and predictably, he asked if THAT was her.

If you re-watched that plane scene again, I think you might now agree -- that was a very understandable mistake...

The other scene I was thinking of when I saw that you wrote this, though, was the following:

(Lois saves Clark from Drowning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eoj88NtW2g&feature=related
3 min 27 sec

-----------------------------------------------------

So, no, seeing the above AND that plane scene, it IS true that I couldn't entirely shake the notion that Lois was too young.

But I sure didn't get the idea she was frail.

Which makes a lot of sense when you consider the athletic role that won Bosworth consideration for Superman Returns to begin with ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Crush

NemeBro
I love how almost none of the complaints were about Lois Lane's character or the acting behind it, but only the apparent lack of hotness.

Mindship
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
I think the actors chosen were too young. Or at least too young-looking. Def'ly.

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Superman Returns Plane Rescue Scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xiwISrp1H4
4 min 47 sec
*de chills*

TheOneFirestorm
Originally posted by I-Drop
Supes killed somebody? All I remember him doing was picking up heavy things. That's why the movie sucked. If I wanted to see that type of shit I'd watch a strongman competition. Singer should have gotten off of Donner's nut's and started fresh also.

Yes but then we wouldn't have gotten magnificent Man of Steel.

With 2 unsuccessful sequels it's logical to start over again not add a loose sequel.

I don't think I can pick one thing I hate the most about this emabrassment.
Superman was depicted as freaking Wolverine a guy that goes after a taken woman.
If this takes place after Superman 2 then Superman has been shown to be a liar after saying he wouldn't abandon his responsibility to the President of the Untied States and he leaves Earth to look for Krypton that no longer exists
Superman spies on Lois.
Superman is a deadbeat dad.
He's surprised when he's told Jason is Lois's son.
The horrid writing Superhuman hearing can hear multiple people more than 3 miles away but can't hear another heartbeat from Lois's stomach.
The climax is crap he lifts a rock.
The lack of action there is more action in the Max Fliescher Superman cartoons than this emabrassment.
S to Small, Looks more like Superboy not Superman.

The one thing I hate the most about Superman Returns is the crap depiction of Superman from the deadbeat dad, goes after a taken woman that's not him it's freaking Wolverine, etc.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.