Worst Director of a Comic Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

scuzz
i think mark steven jonson is absolutely rediculos! after daredevil, wich was bullshit, with bullshit casting (except jon fav) and a bullshit story, would you let him anywere near ghost rider, it was even worse! what is it with this guy? he cant write! he sure as hell cant cast!(watchin nic cage in that role made me want someone t shoot jonson) and he cannot direct! at all! how has this guy ever gotten a job?

Brett Ratner! the last stand was a joke! there are so many things Wrong with it! when wolverine walks out from behind the sentinel head in the danger room anyone? and take juggernaut! they said the comic book version looked to 'out there' and 'unrealistic' does he even know what juggs looks like? all he had to do was make a tight sleveless top and a couple of arm band kind of things(well just look at a comic) but instead he made him some kind of bondage lookin freak with leather straps and a metal bolt around his neck! it makes him look like a complete tool!
i know it was mathew vaughn that cast him but he was shit! the rubber muscle suit was so fake looking! could they not have gotten a bulky guy who can actually act? the film just sucks, there is no decent character development and the whole cure thing is shit!

ive left out a lot of what was wrong with TLS because there is not enough room and i dont have enough time but you get the point

please tell me why you hated these movies(or why you didn't) and mention any other films/directors you had a problem with!

roughrider
BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBl
ahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah
BlahBlahBlahBlah......

X-Men: The Last Stand was good. Vinnie Jones looked very good in the suit, and Juggernaut as a whole had enough of his comic look made to look realistic.

Totally agree with Mark Steven Johnson. He messed up both Daredevil & Ghost Rider.
Rob Bowman certainly made a lousy Elektra movie.
Joel Schumacher still hasn't repented for his Batman movies.
Jim Wynorski made a laughable attempt to capture Alan Moore's greatness with Return Of Swamp Thing; Stephen Norrington failed the same way with The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Pitof on Catwoman - horrible.

scuzz
how exactly was the last stand a good movie?

Darth Martin
Joel Smaucher is saved based on the fact that Batman Forever was decent.

Person who directed Elektra or Catwoman.

roughrider
Originally posted by scuzz
how exactly was the last stand a good movie?

I just said how it was, and it was the biggest box office hit of the three, though X2 is the best film.
You have an easier time proving your case on a film where it bombed, or disappointed finacially.

Battlehammer
actaully I thought the DD story and movie was good, but DD simply not that interesting for a movie

roughrider
Originally posted by Battlehammer
actaully I thought the DD story and movie was good, but DD simply not that interesting for a movie

A lot of things were right on Daredevil - the casting, the story for the most part, the visual use of his radar, and they stayed true to the costume and made it look good on screen. But it's plagued by bad touches and rushed moments throughout. I wanted an epic score, not a junk collection of hard rock songs. And Johnson didn't seem to know what Matt would really do in some scenes - he wouldn't chase a criminal down into the subway and allow him to be run over. And that iso tank he slept in was silly off the top - show him relaxing with earplugs or something when he gets home. If he's had a really bad day, then show him resorting to that tank to shut out the world. And Los Angeles is an unconvincing stand in for New York.Plus, I didn't want that narration, and where was the teacher who showed Matt how to use his radar? They make it look like he got hit with the chemicals, and became a super-agile fighter because of it, with no training. That's Spider Man, you doofus.

H. S. 6
Uwe.

Boll.

But now I'm thinking he never directed a comic book movie. Ah, well... I'm keeping this post here. He's terrible.

Kazenji
I agree with mark steven johnsan but as for X-men 3 i do not agree whats been said from scuzzle butt it was a good film i enjoyed it

If they actually went and made a decent ghost rider film for johnny blaze i would've gone with Matthew McConaughey to play him.

Cap'n Happy
Originally posted by roughrider
I just said how it was, and it was the biggest box office hit of the three, though X2 is the best film.
You have an easier time proving your case on a film where it bombed, or disappointed finacially.

My friend, box office has nothing to do with it. What are you, a studio accountant, only looking at numbers, or a fan, looking for the best (or worst, in this case) comic book film?
X 3 wasn't awful, but it wasn't very good. Weakest of the three.
Considering the budget, actors, director, I thought Hulk was a huge disappointment, tho hardly the worst comic movie or director.
I think it has to go to Shumaker on Batman and Robin. This turd put the Bat-franchise in a near fatal coma, hell... it almost killed ALL comic book movies.
The guy behind Daredevil and Ghost Rider is quite a hack, and the ones who did Superman II and III- pshew!
Still, Shumaker's the one I'd most like to kick in the 'nads. Can you believe studio execs give this anus millions and millions of dollars to make movies? You could probably pick a person at random off the street who would do a better job. My grandmother knows nothing about superheroes or movies, but if she ever watched Batman & Robin, even she would stop at the nipples and homoerotic ass shots, and ask me;
"Oh my! Tell me dear, was the man who directed this film mentally ill?"
Yes Grandma, he was.

roughrider
Originally posted by Cap'n Happy
My friend, box office has nothing to do with it. What are you, a studio accountant, only looking at numbers, or a fan, looking for the best (or worst, in this case) comic book film?
X 3 wasn't awful, but it wasn't very good. Weakest of the three.

No, but box office is a factor. If a film is as terrible as so many on message boards claim, it wouldn't pull in that much money would it? Especially if it continues to do well after its opening weekend. People can be fooled a little bit by good marketing, but not all the way.
And the reviews for X3 weren't bad - just mixed. It cracked the top 50 for Rotten Tomatoes 50 Best Reviewed Films Of 2006.

Juntai
No, but box office is a factor. If a film is as terrible as so many on message boards claim, it wouldn't pull in that much money would it? Especially if it continues to do well after its opening weekend. People can be fooled a little bit by good marketing, but not all the way.
And the reviews for X3 weren't bad - just mixed. It cracked the top 50 for Rotten Tomatoes 50 Best Reviewed Films Of 2006. Really?
Home Alone is 32nd on the Worldwide ALL TIME list.
Really great movie, then?

roughrider
Originally posted by Juntai
Really?
Home Alone is 32nd on the Worldwide ALL TIME list.
Really great movie, then?

Look at Titanic - huge box office winner, but can anyone stand to watch it now? For a period of six months ten years ago, people just lost their minds (especially the women, who packed theatres to see Leonardo & Kate go down again & again.) It happens sometimes. Small kids were dragging their families to the first two Home Alone films, but people had more than enough after two of those; 3 & 4 had virtually no audience.

batdude123
X-Men: The Last Stand was good.

Lulz.

Bad Ash231
Originally posted by batdude123
Lulz.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Nightmareman95/x3advanceonesheetfinal1dc.jpg

Juntai
Look at Titanic - huge box office winner, but can anyone stand to watch it now? For a period of six months ten years ago, people just lost their minds (especially the women, who packed theatres to see Leonardo & Kate go down again & again.) It happens sometimes. Small kids were dragging their families to the first two Home Alone films, but people had more than enough after two of those; 3 & 4 had virtually no audience. Titanic was actually a good movie however. Not -my- type of movie, but I understand a good movie when I see one.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by scuzz
i think mark steven jonson is absolutely rediculos! after daredevil, wich was bullshit, with bullshit casting (except jon fav) and a bullshit story, would you let him anywere near ghost rider, it was even worse! what is it with this guy? he cant write! he sure as hell cant cast!(watchin nic cage in that role made me want someone t shoot jonson) and he cannot direct! at all! how has this guy ever gotten a job?

Brett Ratner! the last stand was a joke! there are so many things Wrong with it! when wolverine walks out from behind the sentinel head in the danger room anyone? and take juggernaut! they said the comic book version looked to 'out there' and 'unrealistic' does he even know what juggs looks like? all he had to do was make a tight sleveless top and a couple of arm band kind of things(well just look at a comic) but instead he made him some kind of bondage lookin freak with leather straps and a metal bolt around his neck! it makes him look like a complete tool!
i know it was mathew vaughn that cast him but he was shit! the rubber muscle suit was so fake looking! could they not have gotten a bulky guy who can actually act? the film just sucks, there is no decent character development and the whole cure thing is shit!

ive left out a lot of what was wrong with TLS because there is not enough room and i dont have enough time but you get the point

please tell me why you hated these movies(or why you didn't) and mention any other films/directors you had a problem with!

Chris Nolan, he did not take care of HL now look...........

roughrider
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen

miffed That's a low blow. Don't hang Ledger's death on Nolan.

Almighty Bauer
Chris Nolan, he did not take care of HL now look........... You, sir, are a muppet, and deserve to be rent limb from limb by cannibalistic dwarfs.

Cap'n Happy
Originally posted by Almighty Bauer
You, sir, are a muppet, and deserve to be rent limb from limb by cannibalistic dwarfs.

Amen. Whether this guy thought he was being funny (he failed), or whether he was serious (frightening), the fact remains, he showed his ass. Ledger was a real, living human being. Show some class.

CaptainStoic
I vote for Tim Robbins and Ang Lee as the worst.

roughrider
Originally posted by CaptainStoic
I vote for Tim Robbins and Ang Lee as the worst.

What did Tim Robbins direct?
If you're talking about Howard The Duck, he only co-starred in that.

Kazenji
and also with ang lee he tried to turn the hulk into an arthouse film.

suprmanvsbatman
Tim Robbins ? maybey he ment Tim Story lol

fredstawill
ok ur all shitters X-3 was ok it wasnt bad like spiderman 3 it was just abit cheesy in some parts nd it wasnt as epic as the others! dd was average but watch the extended edition u mite be happy it just wasnt anything spectacular, ghost rider was half amazin half shittest thing ever but atleast it didnt bore me (all the way through lol), stuff like catwoman is shit........ haters

shksprtx
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Batman Forever was decent.

On what planet?

Kazenji
Originally posted by shksprtx
On what planet?

Dog Doo 8

ragesRemorse
Brett ratner by far. Daredevil had much potential, The first half hour or so was fairly well done but the elektra storyline slowed the move down and forced it down a most ridiculous path. I blame the screenplay more than the director. Ang li produced a very good movie with Incredible Hulk. The movie was very well done and the characters were all organic and believable. The movie was only bad as a Hulk movie, not a movie

X-men 3 was awful, it was not even a good stand alone movie. X-men 3 was almost as bad as rush hour 3. After seeing rush hour 3 and x-men 3 im convinced brett ratner is the worst driector atm, worse than even Uwi Boll.

jcvaldez
I know I'm going to get a lot of hate after I comment on who I think is one the worst directors but here goes....

These are my choices not because of their movies but how bad of a director they are.
From bad to the worst -

5. Brian Singer
4. Mark Steven Johnson
3. Rob Bowman
2. Sam Raimi
1. Joel Schumaucher

chickenlover98
i vote uwe boll witht the potential to be the worst comic book movie directer

jcvaldez
Originally posted by chickenlover98
i vote uwe boll witht the potential to be the worst comic book movie directer

I agree!!!

List Change -

6. Brian Singer
5. Mark Steven Johnson
4. Rob Bowman
3. Sam Raimi
2. Joel Schumaucher
1. Uwe Boll

Kazenji
What comic book movies did uwe boll do ?

Grinning Goku
Ang Lee, Tim Story and the guy who directed the Original FF movie from 1994. That shit was nasty.

Mr Parker
that honor goes to tim burton making the worst casting choice ever in comicbook history.Pudgy gut,receding hairline,half bald,short runt michael keaton for tall,muscular,handsome,full set of hair bruce wayne.a total insult and joke to batman fans. mad same applys to jack nicholson.He was totally physically wrong for the role of the joker.horrible casting decisons and a horrible and boring story. sick so Burton gets my vote.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Joel Smaucher is saved based on the fact that Batman Forever was decent.

Person who directed Elektra or Catwoman.

it was the ONLY decent batman flick of that pathetic Burton/Schumacher Batman franchise.he at least cast someone who LOOKED the part of bruce wayne.He screwed up royally in his casting choise of robin though who was wayyyyyyyyy too old for the role not to mention clooney as bruce wayne was a moroinc choice as well.that guy is an ugly looking dude..the burton/schmacher batman movies need to be burned.the one and only true batman movie is BATMAN BEGINS.

brainchild81
Directors of Elektra, Catwoman, Batman & Robin, & Steel.

Singer gets mentioned for being an idiot & riding Donner's nuts instead of making his own Superman film. I really used to think he was great.

Raimi(don't care how it's spelled) is mentioned 'cuz he squeezed waaay too much into Spidey 3

Nolan is mentioned because those were some of the worst shot fights ever.

Ratner....because he just sux

Toku King

Are you seriously saying that Nolan killed Ledger? What's wrong with you? What the hell was he supposed to do, exactly?

Toku King
Originally posted by jcvaldez
3. Sam Raimi

Man, that's wrong. Raimi is one of the best comic movie directors to date, not one of the worst. And Singer made "X-2", so he's off the hook. Out of your list, Raimi's the best.
And you didn't even mention Ang Lee, Kenneth Johnson, Roger Corman, or Pitof.

Neo Darkhalen
Ang Lee...and whoever did the Fantastic four films.

brainchild81
Originally posted by Toku King
Man, that's wrong. Raimi is one of the best comic movie directors to date, not one of the worst. And Singer made "X-2", so he's off the hook. But he made Supes Returns right afterwards. He put himself on the hook.

Raoul
bryan singer... as a colossus and cyclops fan, i have every right to be annoyed at him for the b*stardisation of my favourite x-men... was he the worst? technically, probably not, but so far he's ruined three of my favourite characters, so...

Kazenji
Originally posted by brainchild81

Raimi(don't care how it's spelled) is mentioned 'cuz he squeezed waaay too much into Spidey 3

Yea did'nt they learn that from batman and robin that one had the same problem (apart from the bright colours)

Xplosive
Although Singer did a good job with X-Men (especially with X2), he didn't go the right way (he mostly made a Wolverine movie, even with X2, and even then Wolverine wasn't developed good. Actually, you really didn't find much about him. X2 was mostly interesting because of scope of characters and powers and not that much because of Singer. Although he did a good job at directing it. He is a talented director). I think X-Men had so and so much potential. But I understand why X-Men is hardest out of all comic book to bring on the big screen.

Out all comic books, I think X-Men has the biggest potential of all. It's on of those materials that could take the title as the best Sci-Fi movie ever if done right.

As the worst director, I would go with Joel on Batman and Robin and Tim Story with Fantastic Four. Ghost Rider was also ridiculous.

As I am reading reviews, The Dark Knight in critics mind took the title now as the best comic book ever. It's seems Nolan took the risk and did what he had to do. Maybe that is what we need, such movie as The Dark Knight. Maybe now other will try to go Nolan way.

I also think X-Men should be rebooted or a big sequel saga, because now it's under Marvel studio and could be done much much better than any previous X-Men movie.

And X-Men should be enormously big epic movie.

Da Joker
Tim Story....and the guy that directed Daredevil. Daredevil isn't that interesting of a character...never was.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Da Joker
Tim Story....and the guy that directed Daredevil. Daredevil isn't that interesting of a character...never was.

I agree, I like Marvel and of course most of the stuff that stan Lee created but daredevil is one that i'm not a big fan of.

Ha-Son
Bryan Singer. For not killing off Cyclops in the first flick.

Da Joker
Hah, I hate how he's almost always made into a douchebag. Singer is awesome though, imo, Story is not.

Da Joker
Originally posted by Kazenji
I agree, I like Marvel and of course most of the stuff that stan Lee created but daredevil is one that i'm not a big fan of.

A blind superhero just doesn't interest me, at least not the way Daredevil is depicted.

SnakeEyes
Brett Ratner's not the worst, but he's the one who pissed me off the most. Shitty movies like Ghost Rider didn't have two great films coming before it like the X-Men franchise. Ratner directed, essentially, a very poor addition, which is a shame imo.

Da Joker
I liked it but yeah, looking back it had a lot to live up to.

I also dislike how he made fun of the men who have portrayed Superman and have died.

Kazenji
Where are people getting the connection with Tim Story and Ghost Rider

The same dick who did the daredevil movie did the ghost Rider film he should be banned from doing any more superhero films

Originally posted by Da Joker

I also dislike how he made fun of the men who have portrayed Superman and have died.

Who Bryan Singer?

Da Joker
The man behind the first two X-Men films and "Superman Returns".

Kazenji
I know that roll eyes (sarcastic)

So how was bryan singer making fun of the men who have portrayed Superman and have died ?

steverules
Bryan Singer for superman returns and giving us a friggin kryptonite mountain

Accel
Mark Steven Johnson directed Daredevil and he doesn't really deserve a mention here if for no other reason than the Director's Cut of Daredevil.

I can pretty much guarantee that if the studios had released that version of DD in theaters then the film would have been a hit and we'd be seeing a sequel in the making right about now.

ragesRemorse
Again, i'll say Brett Ratner. Visually, X-3 was very made. Everything else from Character development to plot was strewn together almost as poorly as a Lucas prequel. Out of all of the comic book franchises that had everything going for it, X-3 slammed into the wall as the biggest disappointment ive experienced with comic book movie's yet (excluding Spiderman 3). I know the guy didn't have much weight to throw around, on and off set, and out of all of the turds he as directed previous, x-3 was the best. The movie itself just didn't go anywhere and fell completely flat. Im sure Singer and company are as much to blame for that travesty, but as Director you take the heat and im giving it to him.

If there is one Comic movie that was more disappointing that X-3. It is Spiderman 3. Like X-3, this movie took the story and characters no where and much like Spiderman 2, it was essentially a rehashing of it's previous installment. Unlike Spiderman 2, however, it offered no new interesting characters and was pieced and paced together so poorly. You didn't care what as happening you just wanted the movie to end so you could see if your friends thought it was as bad as you did. the only reason i don't pick Raimi as the worst director of a comic movie is because he gave us Spiderman 1&2. Say what you will about the faithfulness of those movie's, they are still very well made and entertaining. Everyone drops the ball from time to time and im just hoping Raimi bit off more than he could chew with Spiderman 3 and didn't take a bite out of something that he wasn't interested in in the first place

Now, there are movie's like ghost rider, Fantastic four 2, Catwoman, etc.., that are far worse than a Spiderman 3 or X-3. those movie's however heralded little to no expectations. We all knew they were going to be dog shit and they were. I am speaking soley out of disappointment.

Kazenji
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

It is Spiderman 3. Like X-3, this movie took the story and characters no where and much like Spiderman 2, it was essentially a rehashing of it's previous installment. Unlike Spiderman 2, however, it offered no new interesting characters and was pieced and paced together so poorly. You didn't care what as happening you just wanted the movie to end so you could see if your friends thought it was as bad as you did. the only reason i don't pick Raimi as the worst director of a comic movie is because he gave us Spiderman 1&2. Say what you will about the faithfulness of those movie's, they are still very well made and entertaining. Everyone drops the ball from time to time and im just hoping Raimi bit off more than he could chew with Spiderman 3 and didn't take a bite out of something that he wasn't interested in in the first place

And he seemed to have taken a page from Batman and robin put far too many villains into a movie.

fredstawill
vinne jones is a fukin awesum actor u fukin **** watch lock stock nd snatch u fukin little yankee shit

fredstawill
jole schumacher

CaptainStoic
Joel Schumacher is the worst director for a comic book movie this guy nearly destroyed Batman, and in doing so could have derailed Clooneys career, money talks quality walks!

tom_servo
And the reviews for X3 weren't bad - just mixed. It cracked the top 50 for Rotten Tomatoes 50 Best Reviewed Films Of 2006.

Since when has anyone's opinion on Rotten Tomatoes mattered?

Bouboumaster
Joel Schumaer. He should go to jell.

JaydonPhoenix
I agree, Daredevil & Ghost Rider were poo!

When it comes to the X-Movies, I was just happy to see a fandom I follow so loyally brought to the silver screen. Having said that, while there were elements I disagreed with I did enjoy each film, but then I did apply the fact that since it was a movieverse, it would never compare with comicsverse for many reasons (corporate nuisance, translation to film, botched ideas etc).

I wouldn't have been happy with any old crap, and there were many things in the X-Films that grated on me, but overall I did like them.

jcvaldez
Sam Raimi is the WORST!!!!!

mr.smiley
Ang Lee

Kazenji
Originally posted by jcvaldez
Sam Raimi is the WORST!!!!!

Hell no

Mark Steven Johnson--->Sam Raimi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.