Which of these Industries do you think will increase in the future?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
A consumer thread opinion discussion.

Of these entertainment industries. Which one do you think will increase and become more wealthy in the future? If you're an investor, which one would you say is most likely to become the top favorite?

The best seasons (IMO) for each industry are the following:

Summer: Movie Industry.
Fall: TV/Cable Industry.
Winter/Christmas: Video Game.

Also which industry do you (as a consumer) spend more money on?

Thoughts.

Deja~vu
Probably some kind of game industry. One that could have Internet or other interface with it. Possibly holographic imaging interfacing.

Symmetric Chaos
Video Game Industry will probably increase the most. Improving technology will keep giving it new ways to present itself. Increase in processing power and the ability to create completely new mediums could allow it to make exponential jumps in value.

JediSamuraiMRB
I haven't cast a vote yet, but I'd say once the writer's strike ends it would prolly be the movie, tv and cable industries will benefit the most. Video games always thrive especially during Christmas. Comic books will thrive along as good stories are produced and good movies are made from them. The music industry would thrive that much because people will always find means to listen to their favorite songs.

dadudemon
I voted cable and television but really, I need a Internet/television/videogame category because that is really all related. TV with your 360? Streaming videos straight from Netflix? The Xbox 720* will probably have a lot more of this stuff with it because "Live" will still be around. Sony is developing a similar "live" environ as Xbox...Wii Channels are basically web based applications. The format wars will fail soon as bandwidth speed improves.

*Teehee

BackFire
Video games by far. They're still in their infancy and they already rival film as far as money generated and it just keeps growing. Video gaming right now is reminiscent of the film industry during the 20's and 30's; it's a growing industry which has traditionalists doubting it (video games will never be as big as films, they say now, like they said movies would never be as popular as live stage performances during the early film industry). In 20 years or so gaming may be the dominant entertainment industry.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by JediSamuraiMRB
I haven't cast a vote yet, but I'd say once the writer's strike ends it would prolly be the movie, tv and cable industries will benefit the most. Video games always thrive especially during Christmas. Comic books will thrive along as good stories are produced and good movies are made from them. The music industry would thrive that much because people will always find means to listen to their favorite songs.

Good point.

However, any strike can hurt any industry. One day there could be a devolpers strike or a workers strike...or something going for the VG Industry.

I think the music industry is most likely to flux more into different formats in a few years. The Comic book industry on the other hand have lasted for decades now. It's bound to always be open for new or future consumers.

Deja~vu
having a band play in your living room by holographic image would be neat too.

WrathfulDwarf
You can always play Rock Band or Guitar Hero. stick out tongue

Devil King
You can play a stock exchange game based on the long term viability of the new shows starting this season:

http://movies.hsx.com/special/tsx2007/index.htm

as for the question, I'd likely want to invest in an industry in which I could invest. I think the majority of these are private industry, aren't they?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Devil King

as for the question, I'd likely want to invest in an industry in which I could invest. I think the majority of these are private industry, aren't they?

Explain.

Mindship
Bottled air, as soon as someone figures out how to market it. Then, in addition to the bottled water nearly everyone carries around (Lord, how did we ever manage before), people will be suckling on air hoses, fully market-hypnotized into believing they are healthier than those fools still breathing that smelly ol', globally-warmed atmosphere.
Happy Dance

Devil King
Originally posted by Bardock42
Explain.

What do you mean explain? You've got public companies and you have private companies, only one of which the public can invest. I don't think HBO is on the stock exchange. (Warner Bros. may be another matter.)

Bardock42
Originally posted by Devil King
What do you mean explain? You've got public companies and you have private companies, only one of which the public can invest. I don't think HBO is on the stock exchange. (Warner Bros. may be another matter.)

Oh I see, I misunderstood. I am pretty sure the Movie Industry and Video Game industry in large parts are though.

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Good point.

However, any strike can hurt any industry. One day there could be a devolpers strike or a workers strike...or something going for the VG Industry.

I think the music industry is most likely to flux more into different formats in a few years. The Comic book industry on the other hand have lasted for decades now. It's bound to always be open for new or future consumers.

Good point also

TRH
Video games will, Movies also to a certain extent.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Mindship
Bottled air, as soon as someone figures out how to market it. Then, in addition to the bottled water nearly everyone carries around (Lord, how did we ever manage before), people will be suckling on air hoses, fully market-hypnotized into believing they are healthier than those fools still breathing that smelly ol', globally-warmed atmosphere.
Happy Dance

That idea might come in handy when future generations start travelling out into the space.

Man floating in space: "Oh man! I could really go for a fresh bottle of air right now."

Devil King
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
That idea might come in handy when future generations start travelling out into the space.

Man floating in space: "Oh man! I could really go for a fresh bottle of air right now."

Spaceballs

Mindship
Originally posted by TRH
Movies also to a certain extent. I have a feeling movies are going to experience a radical shift in what they convey.

CGI will improve until, one day, you will have human characters impossible to tell from the real deal. They could be avatars of real actors, resurrections of dead actors (you Know that's coming; we've already seen this in commercials), or they could be completely original fabrications.

One day, you won't needs sets and props (again, it's already happening). Basically, movie-making will go entirely from soundstage or real place to the inside of a computer. All the buildings and equipment now required: one day it'll all be obsolete, while computers will become less expensive and more powerful.

Consequently, I think live theater will experience a resurgence, because basically, most people prefer to be entertained by / empathize with other living people.

Bardock42
I have a feeling movies are going to experience a radical shift in what they convey.

CGI will improve until, one day, you will have human characters impossible to tell from the real deal. They could be avatars of real actors, resurrections of dead actors (you Know that's coming; we've already seen this in commercials), or they could be completely original fabrications.

One day, you won't needs sets and props (again, it's already happening). Basically, movie-making will go entirely from soundstage or real place to the inside of a computer. All the buildings and equipment now required: one day it'll all be obsolete, while computers will become less expensive and more powerful.

Consequently, I think live theater will experience a resurgence, because basically, most people prefer to be entertained by / empathize with other living people. Why wouldn't then movies with real actors continue to exist?

Devil King
Why wouldn't then movies with real actors continue to exist?

Who wouldn't vote for Richard Nixon's head?

Mindship
Why wouldn't then movies with real actors continue to exist? They certainly could; I could see them as a subset of the overall movie-crafting art. But profit-wise, why use expensive real actors if you can fashion an original avatar for a fraction of the cost?

Shakyamunison
Any business that has to do with privacy will explode in the near future.

Bardock42
They certainly could; I could see them as a subset of the overall movie-crafting art. But profit-wise, why use expensive real actors if you can fashion an original avatar for a fraction of the cost?

Beeecause

Consequently, I think live theater will experience a resurgence, because basically, most people prefer to be entertained by / empathize with other living people.

SpaceMonkey
I'm the one who voted for Comic Book Industry. Reasons:

1. More Comic Book movies are being made and that will drive people to buy more comics and simultaneously it will drive Comic Book makers to progress. I believe there will be an evolution of sorts in Comics.
2. The quality of music appears to be spiraling downhill and it doesn't appear to have a savior in the horizon. The only good stuff out there is independent stuff, nothing on any major labels. Once the labels get ahold of something good, they rape it. So the good stuff doesn't make any money and people HAVE to wake up eventually and stop buying crap.
3. Video games appear to be at their Pinnacle right now. Nothing really innovative out there as far as the games themselves.... consoles will continue to push the envelope to make up for the lack of ingenuity in games but that will drive the price up.... sounds like a bomb waiting to explode.
4. TV and cable will suffer from Time-Warner's monopoly. Add to that the writer's strike... I think it will be a while until TV and cable recoups from that.
5. Movies will also suffer from the strike, but not as much as TV... there's already movies in the can to get the industry through the strike.

Just MY opinions. big grin

Mindship
Beeecause laughing out loud I see your point.
I think Madison Ave will take care of that. People will still go to the movies because it will still be an "American life" thing to do. We'll accept CGI movies as normal. But on a deeper level, we're still gonna miss the real deal. Live theater will become the outlet.

This is all just speculation of course.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
I'm the one who voted for Comic Book Industry. Reasons:

1. More Comic Book movies are being made and that will drive people to buy more comics and simultaneously it will drive Comic Book makers to progress. I believe there will be an evolution of sorts in Comics.
2. The quality of music appears to be spiraling downhill and it doesn't appear to have a savior in the horizon. The only good stuff out there is independent stuff, nothing on any major labels. Once the labels get ahold of something good, they rape it. So the good stuff doesn't make any money and people HAVE to wake up eventually and stop buying crap.
3. Video games appear to be at their Pinnacle right now. Nothing really innovative out there as far as the games themselves.... consoles will continue to push the envelope to make up for the lack of ingenuity in games but that will drive the price up.... sounds like a bomb waiting to explode.
4. TV and cable will suffer from Time-Warner's monopoly. Add to that the writer's strike... I think it will be a while until TV and cable recoups from that.
5. Movies will also suffer from the strike, but not as much as TV... there's already movies in the can to get the industry through the strike.

Just MY opinions. big grin

What is quality music in your opinion? Because I've got quite a lot of quality music in recent years, so am I just an idiot who doesn't know what real quality is?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
What is quality music in your opinion? Because I've got quite a lot of quality music in recent years, so am I just an idiot who doesn't know what real quality is?

Although the "quality" statement is bogus, the idea that the music industry is declining is very true. It is getting harder all the time to sell music.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Although the "quality" statement is bogus, the idea that the music industry is declining is very true. It is getting harder all the time to sell music.

Music could also be on the brink of a technology revolution. There's no real reason why record companies could not just set up websites and charge minuscule fees to purchase music, with the rest of their profits covered by advertising on said sites.

SpaceMonkey

Like I stated in my post, it's only "MY OPINION". However, you know what, I'll give it to you. I'm sure in your opinion you're buying great music. Good for you. Enjoy it to the fullest. I was wrong, you win. Enjoy the delicious taste of victory.

chillmeistergen
Like I stated in my post, it's only "MY OPINION". However, you know what, I'll give it to you. I'm sure in your opinion you're buying great music. Good for you. Enjoy it to the fullest. I was wrong, you win. Enjoy the delicious taste of victory.

I did say 'what in your opinion'. But yeah, thanks, you were wrong.

SpaceMonkey
I did say 'what in your opinion'. But yeah, thanks, you were wrong.

Thank you for restating that I was wrong. I wasn't sure what I had said. LOL, come on, you're smarter than that.

chillmeistergen
Thank you for restating that I was wrong. I wasn't sure what I had said. LOL, come on, you're smarter than that.

I just wanted to make sure you understood what I was thanking you for, which was admittance of you being wrong, there's no need to drag it out.

SpaceMonkey
I just wanted to make sure you understood what I was thanking you for, which was admittance of you being wrong, there's no need to drag it out.

You're not familiar with being humored are you? Never mind. I should never have started this.

Anything posted regarding this from here on out would be dragging it out, so I'll stop. So, please, end it here.

P.E.A.C.E.

ragesRemorse
I think T.V will evolve the most. I think the way we watch tv in ten-twenty years will be drastically different. In the past five years Television has already changed so much with the advent of digitital cable and DvR. Im sure the next step will be internet TV and shows will either become live or be written and filmed closer to their premiere dates to keep avid fans.

I believe the gamin industry will be the one to expand the most. As backfire pointed out. The gaming world is still very young. Games are no longer produced independently but are produced much the same way a movie is. With games costing as much to create as a movie, and the kickback being consistantly lucrative. The money invested into gaming technology will grow as quickly as its demographics which will offer new ways to experience games

dadudemon
I have a feeling movies are going to experience a radical shift in what they convey.

Seriously, I tell this to people when we get into "movies in the future." It is so weird to run into a "like mind" about something like this. I really and truly believe CGI characters will have entire parts. Who knows, they may even have completely artificial actors that star in more than one movie and become "major attractions" like big big name actors of today. What will happen when we give birth to true AI? Then the artificial characters will really come to life.

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I think T.V will evolve the most. I think the way we watch tv in ten-twenty years will be drastically different. In the past five years Television has already changed so much with the advent of digitital cable and DvR. Im sure the next step will be internet TV and shows will either become live or be written and filmed closer to their premiere dates to keep avid fans.

I believe the gamin industry will be the one to expand the most. As backfire pointed out. The gaming world is still very young. Games are no longer produced independently but are produced much the same way a movie is. With games costing as much to create as a movie, and the kickback being consistantly lucrative. The money invested into gaming technology will grow as quickly as its demographics which will offer new ways to experience games

Great post.

WrathfulDwarf
Video Game Industry reaches $17.9 BILLION dollars in 2007

There you have it folks.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

I agree, tv will never die. Not only for it's entertainment value, but for news as well, since it's the fastest way to actually see moving images of breaking news and news in general.

JacopeX
VEDEO GAMEZ WIL TAKEEE OVA TEH WORLDZ!!!!!1111ONE

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by JacopeX
VEDEO GAMEZ WIL TAKEEE OVA TEH WORLDZ!!!!!1111ONE

And then they'll keep making movies about the video games, like Res Evil. Movies of which will then go to DVD and be watched on televisions. All mediums intertwined . .. .. fear

Tempe Brennan
I went Video Games. I just have a feeling, and by the looks of the poll, so does everyone else.

exanda kane
Originally posted by BackFire
Video games by far. They're still in their infancy and they already rival film as far as money generated and it just keeps growing. Video gaming right now is reminiscent of the film industry during the 20's and 30's; it's a growing industry which has traditionalists doubting it (video games will never be as big as films, they say now, like they said movies would never be as popular as live stage performances during the early film industry). In 20 years or so gaming may be the dominant entertainment industry.

What I'd say.

All other industries mentioned are passed their hay day with the inception of the internet; there are so many ways in which to get yours news, to watch your favourite programmes etc. The way in which entertainment is consumed, with the possible exception of the "cinematic experience" is going online.

Bicnarok
comic book, because I like.

But realistically the Video game industry is going to go well wild, eventually reaching the "Matrix" level.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bicnarok
comic book, because I like.

But realistically the Video game industry is going to go well wild, eventually reaching the "Matrix" level.

Speaking of that, I watched a movie called eXistenZ last night and it was rather cool as far as concepts in video gaming go.

WrathfulDwarf
KA-POW!

GTA IV vs Iron Man

lord xyz
Should've made it a multiple choice poll.

WrathfulDwarf
I hate to be bias...but I'm siding with GTA IV here....I'm glad to see Video games can go 12 rounds agaisn't blockbuster movies.

WrathfulDwarf
Well folks!

If you had any doubts that the video game industry was just a fading fad...guess again:

http://www.dailytech.com/Xbox+360+Outsells+PS3+in+America/article13235.htm

Despite financial problems the Video Game industry remains strong. There is no doubt the future belongs to video games.

Oh-my-gosh! mmm

More Mario and Halo!

Symmetric Chaos
Entertainment always does well during depressions and recessions.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.