Is Occultism just another form of Religion? Or something unique?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Occultism implies "Hidden Knowledge" and for years I was a big fan (and occasionally drawn into) the Occult studies. There are influnences of nearly every religion in occultisism. From Christian to Buddhist and Judaism.

As for skepticism...the first of rule of an occultist is "be skeptical first".

Well, anyone shares my train of thought here? Maybe I'm having misconceptions? What's the big mystery? Is there just NO mystery at all?

big grin

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Occultism implies "Hidden Knowledge" and for years I was a big fan (and occasionally drawn into) the Occult studies. There are influnences of nearly every religion in occultisism. From Christian to Buddhist and Judaism.

As for skepticism...the first of rule of an occultist is "be skeptical first".

Well, anyone shares my train of thought here? Maybe I'm having misconceptions? What's the big mystery? Is there just NO mystery at all?

big grin

There is what is called the Mystic Law in Buddhism. Some people get this confused with the occult. There is a big difference; occult is hidden knowledge that some people know, and then they use that knowledge as their power. The Mystic Law is a law no human can understand. It is not hidden, it is simply unattainable.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
There is what is called the Mystic Law in Buddhism. Some people get this confused with the occult. There is a big difference; occult is hidden knowledge that some people know, and then they use that knowledge as their power. The Mystic Law is a law no human can understand. It is not hidden, it is simply unattainable.

I like that! happy

See, that's the kind of stuff that fascinates me.

DigiMark007
Mysteries generally don't fascinate me, except as a field for further study. Many religions focus on the mysterious and unknowable, which denies the possibility that we can understand the world around us. It short-changes reason. The Christian "mysteries", for example, need to remain in the "only God knows" category because any attempt at rational explanation would fall humorously short....suggesting that it's not so much something that's explainable but ultimately unknowable so much as it's something that simply doesn't make much sense in the first place.

The ultimate nature of consciousness, for example, is currently not entirely knowable. But that doesn't mean it's always going to be that way.

...hidden or impossible knowledge gives rise to faith that isn't based on reason, or more usually it gives rise to a God of the Gaps theory where God/Mystic Law/Spirituality/paranormal/etc. is used to broadly explain anything that we don't currently understand, rather than trying to form a more coherent argument.

DigiMark007
Though Buddhist thought generally tries to appear more rational. I read that the Buddha wanted all to be able to rationally see his points for themselves, not believe on faith. I'm surprised, then, that it relies on something that is unknowable.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Mysteries generally don't fascinate me, except as a field for further study. Many religions focus on the mysterious and unknowable, which denies the possibility that we can understand the world around us. It short-changes reason. The Christian "mysteries", for example, need to remain in the "only God knows" category because any attempt at rational explanation would fall humorously short....suggesting that it's not so much something that's explainable but ultimately unknowable so much as it's something that simply doesn't make much sense in the first place.

To me, humans understanding the Mystic Law is like a fish understanding algebra. A fish can never understand algebra, however, given enough time it might evolve into a creature that can understand algebra. But unlike algebra, the Mystic Law is directly involved in our lives. It is like the old saying "you don't have to understand gravity to stick to the Earth".

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Mysteries generally don't fascinate me.

That's because you're boring! Blah!

stick out tongue

Deja~vu
The occult "hidden knowledge" use to be the only science at one time. The Gnostics commonly used the words "hidden Knowledge."

mr.smiley
I consider everything around me a mystery.Anytime I think i'm sure of anything,I rethink my positon.I prefer to share the thought of Plato when I say I'm pretty sure the only thing I know,is that I know nothing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.