Why iTunes sucks...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bodach
Before I start, let me state for the record that I love my iPod shuffle and I buy lots of music on iTunes...

However, I have a number of grievances with iTunes and I'm curious what you guys think of iTunes...

Firstly, the music selection sucks. Anything even remotely obscure is simply not on iTunes and that's BS. You can't sell music and ONLY cater to the mainstream, that's just plain discriminatory.

Second, it slows your PC down like crazy. iTunes is massive for what it actually accomplishes and slows down games, web browsers, and even basic in-computer navigation to a ridonkulous level.

Third, the new version only runs on XP or Vista... Vista? Are you ****ing kidding me? I don't know anyone who runs Vista. I know a few people who tried it out and switched back, and XP is all well and good for the richers out there who can afford a good PC, but what about us college students?

Finally, (and this isn't really about iTunes but more about Apple) iPod accessories are stupidly expensive. Replacement earbud headphones will run you almost $50 and the in-ear version nearly $70! Don't even get me started on the arm bands etc...

In short, I hate Apple and I hate the way they monopolize markets by aggressively establishing their brand and then pussying out and offering sub-par services and products in the long run...

/rant.

What do you guys think about iTunes, iPods, Apple, and Steve Jobs?

Bardock42
iTunes is an excellent tool to sort your music, I use it as my standard music player and I am very happy with all its functions. It doesn't slow down my PC or Laptop noticably but I guess it is a rather large program compared to foobar or similar.

The iTunes music store I never tried.

I am not a fan of any iPod, they just don't offer the same service comparable Mp3 players offer. They have style, but that's all that speaks for them. I personally got a Cowon just recently and I am very happy with that.

I think iTunes is an excellent program, but there are better Mp3 players around and if people buy iPods solely on their status as hip or cool that is their problem, really.

bodach
Originally posted by Bardock42
iTunes is an excellent tool to sort your music, I use it as my standard music player and I am very happy with all its functions. It doesn't slow down my PC or Laptop noticably but I guess it is a rather large program compared to foobar or similar.

The iTunes music store I never tried.

I am not a fan of any iPod, they just don't offer the same service comparable Mp3 players offer. They have style, but that's all that speaks for them. I personally got a Cowon just recently and I am very happy with that.

I think iTunes is an excellent program, but there are better Mp3 players around and if people buy iPods solely on their status as hip or cool that is their problem, really.

Interesting take.

Although if you've never used the iTunes store, where do you get your music?

ragesRemorse
I actually feel that the itunes library is fairly impressive. Of course they are not going to be able to offer everything for everyone, but i have found many rare albums and artists in their store. You have to understand that they are running a business, and acquiring new artists and songs is not as simple as shelling out money to sponsor their music in their store. They have to struggle with rights and if the artist isnt in high demand or very well known, they may lose money integrating them into their library, but personally, i feel as though its fine. IT is always expanding and does a good job at keeping most songs on sale or $.99 and albums at $9.99.

As far as accessibility, i would say itunes is one of the most user friendly music programs ive ever operated. Categorizing music, creating playlists, burning cd's is as easy as you would expect and the free podcasts and music is appreciated. Searching for music in your library is as easy as typing in the song or artist. I hear complaints about PC's having trouble running the program, but i think that falls more on the computer than the program. The itunes program itself is very small on my mac, but that is dependent on the music i import or purchase.

My problem with itunes are two things which nearly compromise everything good about the program. If you purchase music off of itunes, you are dependent on the program. Itunes can be a nazi at times. You can only burn ten cd's worth of a purchased album, of course this is to sway piracy, but i bought the damn thing i should be able to do with as i wish. You cannot share purchased music, not even with other itunes users. You cannot transfer songs from your ipod to other itunes programs. IF your mac crashes, and you lose itunes. there is no way to transfer the music from your ipod to another itunes program. If you own an ipod, you are almost forced into buying an ipod stereo. These are little things which add up into frustration. I think itunes is still a great program. ITs fluent, never crashes and is cheap.

Alpha Centauri
iTunes is amazing.

The only people hitting out at it are those who need to find something wrong with everything. The library is intense, the organisation and everything else is great in my opinion. The only way people logically couldn't like it, is aesthetically, which is all subjective. It's factually one of the more organised and functional systems.

-AC

Lana
iTunes is pretty nifty. I was buying stuff from it last week and was kind of impressed by the selection.

bodach, I must ask - how many people do you think have bought a Windows computer in the past 8 years and it NOT come with Windows XP? It's been the standard for ages so I think you complaining that it only supports that (and Vista which just because you know no one using it doesn't mean nobody does) is a bit stupid.

I have a crappy-ass computer that was pretty much obsolete when I got it 4 years ago and yet the only time I have problems with running iTunes is when I have Photoshop open.

Oh, and only 'catering to the mainstream' is not discrimination, you fool roll eyes (sarcastic)

And some people still buy CDs, you know.

Most of the stuff you say there is untrue. You can authorize up to five computers to play most stuff that you've purchased, and thus you CAN share it with other people (though technically they've not purchased it and you buying a copy of something does not give you free license to do what you please). I seem to recall iTunes saying that most stuff you download can be burned an unlimited amount of times.

Oh, and try plugging your iPod into a different computer. You'll notice an option known as "transfer purchases".

My only issue with it is that it doesn't allow you to transfer ALL of your music between computers and so far my attempts at having iTunes use my iPod as an external harddrive to play music without transferring has failed.

Though anyone who's got two brain cells should be able to figure out how to go around iTunes not directly transferring your stuff for you anyway.

Bardock42
Originally posted by bodach
Interesting take.

Although if you've never used the iTunes store, where do you get your music?

no expression

How old are you?

Morning_Glory
Before I start, let me state for the record that I love my iPod shuffle and I buy lots of music on iTunes...

However, I have a number of grievances with iTunes and I'm curious what you guys think of iTunes...

Firstly, the music selection sucks. Anything even remotely obscure is simply not on iTunes and that's BS. You can't sell music and ONLY cater to the mainstream, that's just plain discriminatory.

Second, it slows your PC down like crazy. iTunes is massive for what it actually accomplishes and slows down games, web browsers, and even basic in-computer navigation to a ridonkulous level.

Third, the new version only runs on XP or Vista... Vista? Are you ****ing kidding me? I don't know anyone who runs Vista. I know a few people who tried it out and switched back, and XP is all well and good for the richers out there who can afford a good PC, but what about us college students?

Finally, (and this isn't really about iTunes but more about Apple) iPod accessories are stupidly expensive. Replacement earbud headphones will run you almost $50 and the in-ear version nearly $70! Don't even get me started on the arm bands etc...

In short, I hate Apple and I hate the way they monopolize markets by aggressively establishing their brand and then pussying out and offering sub-par services and products in the long run...

/rant.

as far as accessories... I know that stuff is expensive ---but, you can buy iPod stuff dirt cheap on eBay...

Never had a problem with my computer slowing down...but I also have a 400 GB hard drive

my only real complaint about iTunes is ... there is a band I really like that comes out of Sweden & since they aren't mainstream in America, I could only buy their stuff if I lived or registered out of Sweden... their music isn't available on the American iTunes site... and actually there's lots of music in other countries that I would love to have but just can't

Also, the weekly free music (and other stuff) really sucks... they use to have really good freebies

WrathfulDwarf
iDont have it.

Pezmerga
Itunes actually has some pretty obscure stuff. One of which they had was Black Bonzo. That's pretty obscure...espeically in America.

bodach
Good points all around, but I definitely find the selection very limited.

Sure, they're running a business, but that can't be used as an excuse for poor performance.

Some of you guys are pretty ridiculously rude, but hey, to each his own...

Also, my computer is over 8 years old, it's a Thinkpad from back when they were new and shiny... If I had the money, I'd buy a better one, but I have a car to run and I'm at university and I have to pay rent and utils, etc....

Bardock42
Good points all around, but I definitely find the selection very limited.

Sure, they're running a business, but that can't be used as an excuse for poor performance.

Some of you guys are pretty ridiculously rude, but hey, to each his own...

Also, my computer is over 8 years old, it's a Thinkpad from back when they were new and shiny... If I had the money, I'd buy a better one, but I have a car to run and I'm at university and I have to pay rent and utils, etc.... I'd really just buy CDs. They are cooler, better and likely cheaper.

RedAlertv2
Im generally satisfied with iTunes. I do however agree that it it slows down my computer more than a program of its type should.

bodach
I'd really just buy CDs. They are cooler, better and likely cheaper.

Yeah, I got a pretty stupidly huge CD collection, too.... Don't get me started on my DVD "collection" (see: fetish).

bodach
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Im generally satisfied with iTunes. I do however agree that it it slows down my computer more than a program of its type should.

Yeah on the whole, iTunes is fine, but it has problems on the PC. Why Microsoft hasn't thrown their hat into the arena is beyond me at this point...

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Lana

Most of the stuff you say there is untrue. You can authorize up to five computers to play most stuff that you've purchased, and thus you CAN share it with other people (though technically they've not purchased it and you buying a copy of something does not give you free license to do what you please). I seem to recall iTunes saying that most stuff you download can be burned an unlimited amount of times.

Oh, and try plugging your iPod into a different computer. You'll notice an option known as "transfer purchases".

Maybe these are new features, because ive tried numerous times to transfer a few songs from my ipod to the itunes of friends. Every time i would connect my ipod to their mac. A notification would appear telling me that itunes could not recognize my ipod and that it is because (according to a Mac tech) Itunes can only identify and authorize one ipod at a time.

So, about authorizing up to five computers, im thinking you mean a new computer or an itunes program not already familiar with an ipod.

I exceeded burning ten cd's worth of one album and received a notification telling me so. Hopefully this has changed, but i doubt it. I have heard that there is now a way to transfer music from ipod to ipod and itunes to itunes, pertaining to purchased music. I have not had these rumors verified by mac techs though.

So, if my mac crashed, i could transfer the music form my ipod to another itunes program on a new computer?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Morning_Glory

Never had a problem with my computer slowing down...but I also have a 400 GB hard drive

holy crap...,i only have 1GB worth of memory, 250 GB hardrive and i never have any problem running 5 programs along side of itunes.

bodach
no expression

How old are you?

22. Why?

Bardock42
J-just buy the Cowon D2 and be happy forever.

Bardock42
Why iTunes doesn't suck:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/Bardock42/Itunes2.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/Bardock42/Itunes1.jpg

Bardock42
22. Why? Cause if you were 12 or something, maybe you only knew of the option to download music. Since you are not, I don't understand why you would ask me how I obtain my music if not for downloading, because I believe there's only CDs really. Well, I guess there are options for Radio Cuts and tape and record to computer. CD is easiest though.

Triple post for the win.

bodach
Why iTunes doesn't suck:

Rage Against the Machine = nice!

Audioslave just doesn't compare, you need De La Rocha!

bodach
Cause if you were 12 or something, maybe you only knew of the option to download music. Since you are not, I don't understand why you would ask me how I obtain my music if not for downloading, because I believe there's only CDs really. Well, I guess there are options for Radio Cuts and tape and record to computer. CD is easiest though.

Triple post for the win.

I thought you knew about something that wasn't common knowledge... I guess not.

Bardock42
I thought you knew about something that wasn't common knowledge... I guess not. Haha, nah. Just standard CD to Mp3.

Rage Against the Machine = nice!

Audioslave just doesn't compare, you need De La Rocha! I also have all Audioslave. Prefer RATM too though

Morning_Glory
Why iTunes doesn't suck:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/Bardock42/Itunes1.jpg The Smiths droolio

SceneReactionx

/rant.

I hate ituns to ,but like since my dad is a cop i can't use limewire.I baught over 1000 songs.Ihad a ipod nano 2 gb...then i got a new nano black 8 gb which can hold 2000-3000.But the thing is ,since i can put vidios mucies and that stuff it erase MY WHOLE playlist.Ituns is gay.It really slows down my new laptop.And they dont got the good mucie,its really anoying.

bodach
Originally posted by SceneReactionx
I hate ituns to ,but like since my dad is a cop i can't use limewire.I baught over 1000 songs.Ihad a ipod nano 2 gb...then i got a new nano black 8 gb which can hold 2000-3000.But the thing is ,since i can put vidios mucies and that stuff it erase MY WHOLE playlist.Ituns is gay.It really slows down my new laptop.And they dont got the good mucie,its really anoying.

I used to "share" music when I was younger, then I grew up a bit and realized how lame that is.

I mean, stealing a "Soulja' Boy" is one thing because no one actually worked hard or dedicated much time to creating that crap. However, stealing music by dedicated artists who work hard to produce something meaningful is a pretty damn atrocious thing to do.

If I could buy music directly from the artists, I would, I hate to think that 99% of the money I spend on music goes to some fat suit who just sits around drinking martinis and porking hookers all day while the artist tries to create.

Bardock42
Originally posted by SceneReactionx

Holy shit, are you for real?

Lana
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Maybe these are new features, because ive tried numerous times to transfer a few songs from my ipod to the itunes of friends. Every time i would connect my ipod to their mac. A notification would appear telling me that itunes could not recognize my ipod and that it is because (according to a Mac tech) Itunes can only identify and authorize one ipod at a time.

So, about authorizing up to five computers, im thinking you mean a new computer or an itunes program not already familiar with an ipod.

I exceeded burning ten cd's worth of one album and received a notification telling me so. Hopefully this has changed, but i doubt it. I have heard that there is now a way to transfer music from ipod to ipod and itunes to itunes, pertaining to purchased music. I have not had these rumors verified by mac techs though.

So, if my mac crashed, i could transfer the music form my ipod to another itunes program on a new computer?

Well, I don't know anything about the Mac version of it as I have a Windows computer.

But I currently have the latest version of iTunes - had to update it as I got a new iPod for Christmas and it needed the newest one to work. Everything I said it does, though, does work - and I know it's not just it only being able to recognize one iPod, as it recognizes my old one fine, as well as my sister's.

Nice taste in music there, Bardock stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
I remember when Bardock owned about...an album.

How they grow.

-AC

Tempe Brennan

I don't use iTunes for this very reason - none of my favourite bands are there. roll eyes (sarcastic)

bodach
Here's another thing I hate about iTunes:

When I put music (which I legally purchased on iTunes) on my iPod shuffle, the first thing the iTunes program does is check with the iTunes store that I did, in fact, legally purchase said songs BEFORE it will allow me to put them on the iPod.

Don't get me wrong; Apple SHOULD have the right to make sure I'm not stealing music. HOWEVER, (and this is a big HOWEVER) it should check AFTER I have loaded my iPod.

If Apple discovers that some of my music has been obtained illegally, sure, Apple has the right to sue/charge me with theft or whatever. However, Apple does not have the right to ASSUME I am guilty of a crime and therefore hinder my ability to use the program which I have legally obtained and which I pump my own hard-earned money into...

Is America not built on the theory that I am innocent UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY?

If so, Apple has the right to investigate suspicious iPod activites. However, it is ILLEGAL for Apple to ASSUME that I am committing a crime when there is no evidence, and to only allow me to use their goods/services (which I have already paid for) AFTER they have first validated my rights...

In short, as an American citizen (granted I NOW live in Canada), Apple is violating my civil liberties and my basic human rights by ASSUMING I am a criminal (without evidence) and thus CRASHING my old-school operating system mid-file transfer with no evidence.

Explain that, Apple defenders...

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
The Smiths droolio

Say what you see.

On a side note, I'm liking the look of your taste Bardock.

bodach
Why iTunes doesn't suck:

I don't want to be a dick, but how ironic is it for someone to list Rage Against the Machine while simultaneously defending iTunes, a company which Zach would have RIPPED TO ****ING SHREDS if he was still with Rage today? I mean, iTunes literally stands for everything that Zach and Rage spoke against...

Nellinator
I love Rage, but their political ideals are a bit on the silly side imo.

Bardock42
I don't want to be a dick, but how ironic is it for someone to list Rage Against the Machine while simultaneously defending iTunes, a company which Zach would have RIPPED TO ****ING SHREDS if he was still with Rage today? I mean, iTunes literally stands for everything that Zach and Rage spoke against... It's easy if you like them for their music.

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I remember when Bardock owned about...an album.

How they grow.

-AC

Yeah, I bought my first album about early 2005 I think.

bodach
Originally posted by Nellinator
I love Rage, but their political ideals are a bit on the silly side imo.

Please explain.

Rage stood up against the homogenization of American culture and gave voice to the oppressed in the supposed land of the free. When did they EVER lean toward "silliness?"

Rage was the last true American political band. They make System of a Down look like a George Bush fund-raiser by comparison.

If you're so jaded that you don't think America can NEVER go back to it's roots as "The Land of the Free" then that's your problem. Rage stood for a return to America's roots: A country where anything was possible, even for the minorities, as opposed to what it has become today: A tool of the institution to keep the poor poor and increase the wealth of the super-elite...

Bardock42
Please explain.

Rage stood up against the homogenization of American culture and gave voice to the oppressed in the supposed land of the free. When did they EVER lean toward "silliness?"

Rage was the last true American political band. They make System of a Down look like a George Bush fund-raiser by comparison.

If you're so jaded that you don't think America can NEVER go back to it's roots as "The Land of the Free" then that's your problem. Rage stood for a return to America's roots: A country where anything was possible, even for the minorities, as opposed to what it has become today: A tool of the institution to keep the poor poor and increase the wealth of the super-elite...

Their ideas are a bit (lot) on the leftish side of things. They have some good ideas imo, but they are still filthy hippie communists....just joking...they are though. You don't have to agree with their political thoughts to see what immensely great music they created. Otherwise you would for example have huge problems liking Zappa and RATM at the same time...that's not the case though. At least not with people having taste.

Nellinator
Please explain.

If you're so jaded that you don't think America can NEVER go back to it's roots as "The Land of the Free" then that's your problem. Rage stood for a return to America's roots: A country where anything was possible, even for the minorities, as opposed to what it has become today: A tool of the institution to keep the poor poor and increase the wealth of the super-elite... Basically what Bardock said. A little too left sided for my tastes. I'm not jaded, but I think RATM thinks more people are oppressed than are. I'm not against everything they stood for, but I think realism escaped their political stances.

vanice

I'm a bit of a Mac fan so.. well here's my opinion.
iTunes is awesome if you have a lot of music, and a lot can mean like 40Gb or so, because you are free to organize anyway you want to keep trak of you music. It's easy to browse trough a huge library in iTunes. The same thing goes for iPods. They're not better than any other mp3-player in playing music, but they're heaven compared to others in organizing you music. Because they sync with iTunes you can find the music you looking in a lot of places, like artists, albums, song names and genres. And you're in total control of it and can make up you own genres that fits with your opinions.
If you hate apple..well ok do so. However I think they kinda deserve they hype since they've been making great products for a long time and haven't succeeded financially until now.

bodach
Their ideas are a bit (lot) on the leftish side of things. They have some good ideas imo, but they are still filthy hippie communists....just joking...they are though. You don't have to agree with their political thoughts to see what immensely great music they created. Otherwise you would for example have huge problems liking Zappa and RATM at the same time...that's not the case though. At least not with people having taste.

Yeah, I guess if you like Rage strictly for their music, that's fine.

However, that was never how they intended to be viewed. They were brilliant musicians and Zach was probably the best rapper ever strictly due to his intelligence and the fact he stood for something more than "bling" and "hoes", but they were at the heart, a political group.

The fact they made very aggressive sounding music turned off a lot of people who agreed with their political beliefs, and attracted a lot of people who were just angry at the world in general, instead of the evils of the world.

However, Joni Mitchell now sells albums at Starbucks, so Rage selling their shit on iTunes doesn't seem that ridiculous by comparison.

Bardock42
I think in a way Apple deserves similar credit to Nintendo...they never make the best products, yet they always come out on top.

Not including iTunes...which is the best product ever.

Thoren
I don't like iTunes for the simple fact that it requires quicktime.

I hate quicktime.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Thoren
I don't like iTunes for the simple fact that it requires quicktime.

I hate quicktime.

Me too. It is worth it in my opinion though.

Alpha Centauri
They sell Nirvana: Unplugged DVDs in Starbucks now.

Because that's clearly what Kurt Cobain wanted.

Anyway, I think iPods are the best MP3 players and Nintendo always make the best consoles, Bardock. I disagree and you are wrong by fact.

-AC

Bardock42
They sell Nirvana: Unplugged DVDs in Starbucks now.

Because that's clearly what Kurt Cobain wanted.

Anyway, I think iPods are the best MP3 players and Nintendo always make the best consoles, Bardock. I disagree and you are wrong by fact.

-AC Nah, I just am not. iPods get outclassed by multiple mp3 players and Nintendo certainly doesn't make the best consoles, it might make the ones that are most fun to play, but since morons are the judge of that I don't really care.

Alpha Centauri
Nah, I just am not. iPods get outclassed by multiple mp3 players and Nintendo certainly doesn't make the best consoles, it might make the ones that are most fun to play, but since morons are the judge of that I don't really care.

iPods are better.

Morons also judge consoles on other things besides whether or not they are fun to play, which is even more stupid. So technically, you lose.

Fatality.

-AC

Bardock42
iPods are better.

Morons also judge consoles on other things besides whether or not they are fun to play, which is even more stupid. So technically, you lose.

Fatality.

-AC

Not quite. Because I didn't say that it is not important that they are fun to play, I said that morons decide what is "fun to play". Which...is different.

Besides, Nintendos suck.

Alpha Centauri
Nah, Nintendo is the best.

-AC

Bardock42

-AC Okay, lets just agree to you are wrong.

Bat Dude

-AC

Hardly...

iPods are overrated, they definitely aren't the BEST, they're just the most popular, kinda like Xbox 360... Overrated, indeed...

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Bat Dude
Hardly...

iPods are overrated, they definitely aren't the BEST, they're just the most popular, kinda like Xbox 360... Overrated, indeed...

I had one of the very first generation iPods. I had one before it was the next big thing and before everyone wanted to endorse it. I thought it was the best then, even without it being the most popular. Although, it's pretty much the template for every MP3 player since. The current line of iPods; 80GB/160GB "Classics" are the best in my opinion. They look the best, they function the best. Ultimately, that's subjective.

Nintendo are the only company that still seem to be gamers making games, rather than "Let's do this technology before the other guy." or "Let's use the specs as marketing cos morons judge consoles on that nowadays.". They've always been the best, and in my opinion it'll remain so. Not until Xbox 360 started having decent games and a great online system did I even care for any other consoles.

That's just me.

-AC

BackFire
360 is better than the Wii in every way, imo.

Better games as a whole, MORE good games, better online service, better value for what you get, and obviously better on the technical side.

Wii's still great, though. I have one and enjoy it. Just not as much as my 360.

ragesRemorse
Nah, I just am not. iPods get outclassed by multiple mp3 players and Nintendo certainly doesn't make the best consoles, it might make the ones that are most fun to play, but since morons are the judge of that I don't really care.

Nintendo, is good at creating lackluster gimmicks offering little to no enjoyment. The only edge nintendo has, is their business objectives. They happen to target the most lucrative demographic. Their systems are far from being the most fun to play.

Ipods are the most accessible mp3 players on the market...,atleast, from what i've experienced and heard. I tend to agree with you, however, certain mp3 players do outclass ipods by leaps and bounds. Being able to rip songs from the radio, and the ability to seamlessly transfer music from mp3 player to mp3 player is a great feature. Many non ipod mp3 players are also apart of a multi media gadget which often offers more memory.
I do not believe that specs are the measurement of greatness though. Ipods have the greatest sound quality from all of the mp3 players i have listened to. The ipod also has itunes as its companion and itunes makes everything dummy proof. I plug shit in and thats it. Say what you will about itunes, but it has a vast music library, along with many free offerings such as radio stations, podcasts and other perks that can be easily discovered.

Lana
Bullshit.

Alpha Centauri
Nintendo, is good at creating lackluster gimmicks offering little to no enjoyment. The only edge nintendo has, is their business objectives. They happen to target the most lucrative demographic. Their systems are far from being the most fun to play.

In your opinion. I've found them the best all the time. The only reason Nintendo aren't right now isn't because of the consoles themselves, just the variety and such that Xbox 360 has.

The Wii, with its innovation, if it's to your liking (It is to mine) has the potential to be the best of the lot.

Ipods are the most accessible mp3 players on the market...,atleast, from what i've experienced and heard. I tend to agree with you, however, certain mp3 players do outclass ipods by leaps and bounds.

What do you mean outclass? If iPods have the best sound quality, what more do you want? I think they're very good. It's not a matter of them being "dummy proof". I don't need or want to solve puzzles trying to play my music. It doesn't NEED to be anything other than really, really easy to use, so it comes down to preference of functionality.

-AC

Bat Dude
Originally posted by BackFire 360 is better than the Wii in every way, imo.

That's funny, as I've always kinda seen it like this...

PS3
Wii
PS2
SNES
Xbox 360

Nintendo isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, it's just not the BEST... (Sony is)

Oops, went off topic... Anyway, iTunes is GREAT for organizing my songs, but I don't really like that it needs QuickTime (I deleted that from my computer, then had to redownload iTunes)...

But I still think iPods are overrated... Their good, but not the best it could be, and really over-hyped...

Alpha Centauri
That's funny, as I've always kinda seen it like this...

PS3
Wii
PS2
SNES
Xbox 360

Nintendo isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, it's just not the BEST... (Sony is)

Oops, went off topic... Anyway, iTunes is GREAT for organizing my songs, but I don't really like that it needs QuickTime (I deleted that from my computer, then had to redownload iTunes)...

But I still think iPods are overrated... Their good, but not the best it could be, and really over-hyped...

I'm not entirely sure where I'd begin on making fun of you for this post. Sony aren't the best at anything.

-AC

Lana
Well, unless it's shooting themselves in the foot.

ermm

Smasandian

Nintendo are the only company that still seem to be gamers making games, rather than "Let's do this technology before the other guy." or "Let's use the specs as marketing cos morons judge consoles on that nowadays.". They've always been the best, and in my opinion it'll remain so. Not until Xbox 360 started having decent games and a great online system did I even care for any other consoles.

That's just me.

-AC

I agree that Nintendo is about making fun, quality games but the Wii is thier first console on where they didnt try to have the most powerful system out there. SNES, GBA, GC and the N64 was alot about thier graphic capability. Only the Wii is the console on where its more about new technology and new ideas.

On topic though, I love Itunes. I dont buy music from there because of I rather have the actual CD and DRM, but I use Itunes for organization, and accessbility. I used to have all my CD's on it so I can transfer them to my Ipod and that I can play all my CD's on my computer without moving the CD's around my house and losing them.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Smasandian
I agree that Nintendo is about making fun, quality games but the Wii is thier first console on where they didnt try to have the most powerful system out there. SNES, GBA, GC and the N64 was alot about thier graphic capability. Only the Wii is the console on where its more about new technology and new ideas.

After playing games like Super Mario Galaxy I can't exactly say that their graphics are noticeably far behind anybody, nor that it really matters to me. The only reason people talk about specs is cos nowadays companies put them out there, knowing that the new generation of spec-felching "games" rate consoles by it as much as they rate games.

If nobody told you, you'd never know the Wii wasn't the most "powerful".

On topic though, I love Itunes. I dont buy music from there because of I rather have the actual CD and DRM, but I use Itunes for organization, and accessbility. I used to have all my CD's on it so I can transfer them to my Ipod and that I can play all my CD's on my computer without moving the CD's around my house and losing them.

Precisely why iTunes rules.

-AC

Smasandian
After playing games like Super Mario Galaxy I can't exactly say that their graphics are noticeably far behind anybody, nor that it really matters to me. The only reason people talk about specs is cos nowadays companies put them out there, knowing that the new generation of spec-felching "games" rate consoles by it as much as they rate games.

If nobody told you, you'd never know the Wii wasn't the most "powerful".

-AC

The Wii graphics are not bad, far from it. SMG looks great and hopefully newer games look even better because I know that the Wii is very capable of producing quality graphics. This doesnt mean that I wouldnt want to play Zelda TP in HD (because the combination of excellent art design and HD would make for an amazing experience also).

And your right, most gamers talk about how great a system is by its tech but Nintendo was also a contributer . Even the name of thier console the Nintendo 64 was based off the processor it had.

I think the majority of people seeing an PS3 game to an Wii game will notice the difference between systems.

Nellinator
I use Windows Media Player instead. It does the trick and is much smaller and faster in my experience.

Alpha Centauri
I think the majority of people seeing an PS3 game to an Wii game will notice the difference between systems.

Playing too, in the Wii's favour.

-AC

Pezmerga
Playing too, in the Wii's favour.

-AC

Unless it is Madden....I hate it on wii. but other than that I love both of my systems for different reasons.

BackFire
The only game on the Wii that really doesn't look graphically ancient is Galaxy, and even then, that's because of amazing art rather than graphical prowess. All other games look last gen.

Bardock42
What do you mean outclass? If iPods have the best sound quality, what more do you want? I think they're very good. It's not a matter of them being "dummy proof". I don't need or want to solve puzzles trying to play my music. It doesn't NEED to be anything other than really, really easy to use, so it comes down to preference of functionality.

-AC

Haha, where did you hear that iPods have the best sound quality.

vanice
Oh my god this thread has got out of hand.. First RATM and now.. NINTENDO?? OK if you weren't so stubborn we could hopefully have a decent discussion sometime stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Haha, where did you hear that iPods have the best sound quality.

I wasn't saying they do, you missed the context.

Either way, there isn't much difference.

-AC

bodach
Originally posted by Pezmerga
I love both of my systems for different reasons.

Much more reasonable/mature approach. Some people have to say this is > that, because they associate themselves with the brand. sad

Alpha Centauri
Much more reasonable/mature approach. Some people have to say this is > that, because they associate themselves with the brand. sad

I associate Nintendo with the best cos I enjoy their consoles the most.

-AC

bodach
I associate Nintendo with the best cos I enjoy their consoles the most.

-AC

Can't argue with that... big grin

Bat Dude
I'm not entirely sure where I'd begin on making fun of you for this post. Sony aren't the best at anything.

-AC

Really? Then explain to me the how PS2 has POSSIBLY (not saying THE best, btw) one of the best game libraries ever? It includes...

Metal Gear Solid Series (2-3)
God of War Series (1-2)
Tekken Series (Tag Tourney-5)
Devil May Cry Series (1-3)

etc. etc. etc.

And again, I've went off topic... Oh well...

Alpha Centauri
Really? Then explain to me the how PS2 has POSSIBLY (not saying THE best, btw) one of the best game libraries ever? It includes...

God of War Series (1-2)

etc. etc. etc.

And again, I've went off topic... Oh well...

At least pick better games.

Those are the "best" to fools who can't play anything remotely innovative, challenging or hard. Walk and slash, modern day updates of Castlevania, with the exception of Metal Gear 1 and 2, 3 sucked.

God of Wars are all the same, Devil May Crys are all the same. Tekken's from 4 onward don't really have much innovation (I love Tekken, for the record).

Sony are lame, shit, waste.

-AC

RedAlertv2

God of War Series (1-2)

etc. etc. etc.

And again, I've went off topic... Oh well... Well game library doesnt really reflect on Sony. I doubt they make most of the games that come out on their systems

tabby999

/rant.

Itunes has never had an adverse reaction with my laptop, infact it seems more stable than things like media player. Yes iPod headphones are weak and expensive, but if you buy one pair of good quality headphones, no problem.

And as for the lack of good music in the iStore, buy some cds, problem solved.

ragesRemorse
In your opinion. I've found them the best all the time. The only reason Nintendo aren't right now isn't because of the consoles themselves, just the variety and such that Xbox 360 has.

The Wii, with its innovation, if it's to your liking (It is to mine) has the potential to be the best of the lot.

-AC

I'll agree that nintendo games can be fun, but they're game development seems to run in place. Sticking to what works, rather than trying to set new standards.

The Ipods being dummy proof is a key aspect to their success and appeal. The problems i have with the ipod lies in the itunes program and not the ipod itself.

Alpha Centauri
I'll agree that nintendo games can be fun, but they're game development seems to run in place. Sticking to what works, rather than trying to set new standards.

Nintendo set new standards every single time they do something.

It's people who are running in place, because everybody knows that you're not allowed to suggest Nintendo are the best in case you look like you favour a "kiddy" console. Despite the fact that all the GTAs, God of Wars and Devil May Crys will never match up to one Super Mario 64.

"Sure they can be fun.", and? End of story pretty much. People keep raising Nintendo being all about "fun" as if it's detrimental. They do best at what games exist for, that puts them in front, in my opinion.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
At least pick better games.

Those are the "best" to fools who can't play anything remotely innovative, challenging or hard. Walk and slash, modern day updates of Castlevania, with the exception of Metal Gear 1 and 2, 3 sucked.

God of Wars are all the same, Devil May Crys are all the same. Tekken's from 4 onward don't really have much innovation (I love Tekken, for the record).

Sony are lame, shit, waste.

-AC

In defense of Sony (which is something I rarely do) they did gave us Shadow of the Colosus. Unfortunally those franchises name above got the spotlight.

Oops...I'm in the wrong forum...

Alpha Centauri
That game was awful, in my opinion.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
Good for you.

shiv
To close this arguament when you talk with your favourite musicians backstage notice how they use shure grado logitech Cowon audio technica Sony Samsung LG Creative labs products off air while on the front cover of Rolling stone they're flossing ipod.

Dgw2007
Originally posted by Gloomy Ninja
I hate ituns to ,but like since my dad is a cop i can't use limewire.I baught over 1000 songs.Ihad a ipod nano 2 gb...then i got a new nano black 8 gb which can hold 2000-3000.But the thing is ,since i can put vidios mucies and that stuff it erase MY WHOLE playlist.Ituns is gay.It really slows down my new laptop.And they dont got the good mucie,its really anoying. i AM a cop and i use Limewire

chillmeistergen
Oh right.

ragesRemorse
Limewire slows my laptop down more than itunes does.

chillmeistergen
It's a horrible P2P program, if you're going to steal - at least do it properly.

RedAlertv2
Even Limewire doesnt slow down your computer much if youre smart about it.

tabby999
The biggest problem it has is that all the music searches are full of misnamed rubbish and the porn is all ads. Same thing happened to Kazaa back in the day, there'll be the new "next big thing" out soon. Or use a torrent to download

Bicnarok

tabby999
The idea is to be able to carry music with you in a small case with easy funtions. Pretty simple concept to follow frankly.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Why iTunes doesn't suck:

What the hell is a 'WEIDERGABELERSTEINDENSMORG'!?!?! Sounds like some stupid made-up word. Probably means 'cat' or something...'shoe'?

Furthermore, this thread should be renamed 'Why iTunes DOESN'T suck' because...it doesn't.

Anyone see what I did there?

(I added an extra word to the title.)

Kram3r
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
What the hell is a 'WEIDERGABELERSTEINDENSMORG'!?!?! Sounds like some stupid made-up word. Probably means 'cat' or something...'shoe'?

Furthermore, this thread should be renamed 'Why iTunes DOESN'T suck' because...it doesn't.

(I added an extra word to the title.)

Holy ****, this is a screen name I haven't seen in a while.

Bardock42

(I added an extra word to the title.) You didn't give us time to figure out what you did there. I hate you.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You didn't give us time to figure out what you did there. I hate you.

Don't worry, I'll try to add a new riddle every time I post. I'll give you seven "Hellos" in Slow Time Land before I reveal the answer.

Here's the first:

In Slow Time Land, people speak backwards...Why is this?

Bardock42
Don't worry, I'll try to add a new riddle every time I post. I'll give you seven "Hellos" in Slow Time Land before I reveal the answer.

Here's the first:

In Slow Time Land, people speak backwards...Why is this?

I visited Slow Time Land last year. I think it is because of a Law King Butch III made in 345 Slow Standard Year. Though the reasons for it are not known to me.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Correct! You're good at this. I shall retire for now, and think up some more puzzling riddles...

Or will I?

Bardock42
Correct! You're good at this. I shall retire for now, and think up some more puzzling riddles...

Or will I?

Yes you will.

What did I win?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yes you will.

Oh, boy! I got you! Hahaha! In that last post I said I wouldn't do any more riddles, "Or will I?"...and the riddle was that I did put a riddle in that last post! Hahaha! The riddle was the "Or will I?" bit because that was a riddle! I totally sucked you in and bamboozled you! Ka-pow!

did I win?

Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Do you know why? Well, the reason is that in that last post I said I would do any more riddles, "Or will I?"...and the riddle was that I did put a riddle in that last post! Hahaha! The riddle was the "Or will I?" bit because that was a riddle! I totally sucked you in and bamboozled you! Ka-pow!

Bardock42
Oh, boy! I got you! Hahaha! In that last post I said I wouldn't do any more riddles, "Or will I?"...and the riddle was that I did put a riddle in that last post! Hahaha! The riddle was the "Or will I?" bit because that was a riddle! I totally sucked you in and bamboozled you! Ka-pow!

Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Do you know why? Well, the reason is that in that last post I said I would do any more riddles, "Or will I?"...and the riddle was that I did put a riddle in that last post! Hahaha! The riddle was the "Or will I?" bit because that was a riddle! I totally sucked you in and bamboozled you! Ka-pow! You realize I answered the riddle. I double cross raped you.

At least I think that is the expression.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You realize I answered the riddle. I double cross raped you.

At least I think that is the expression.

Damn it! I knew you answered it, but I was trying to bluff your face into thinking that you didn't answer the riddle even though I knew that you did. Answer. The. Riddle.

I guess I'll have to get up pretty early in the day to hoodwink you, but life is full of surprises, so Who knows Who is round the next corner.

Do you know that Who knows that Who is round the next corner? If you do, what are the name of the people who know this?

Bardock42
Damn it! I knew you answered it, but I was trying to bluff your face into thinking that you didn't answer the riddle even though I knew that you did. Answer. The. Riddle.

I guess I'll have to get up pretty early in the day to hoodwink you, but life is full of surprises, so Who knows Who is round the next corner.

Do you know that Who knows that Who is round the next corner? If you do, what are the name of the people who know this? It's a trick, Who doesn't know anything as there is no corner. Man, those riddles get harder and harder.

I had to google for like 5 minutes to solve this one all on my own.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Actually, the answer is: Who is a piece of shit because he lied to the Pope when he was kickin' it way back. Nice googlizing though...

Poppa wanna dayalo? Jah rules!

Bardock42
Actually, the answer is: Who is a piece of shit because he lied to the Pope when he was kickin' it way back. Nice googlizing though...

Poppa wanna dayalo? Jah rules!

What does that have to do with iTunes.

SICK.

Does iTunes have a lyrics function? Cause that's a sweet function. Very sweet. I like it even.

Smasandian
My only problem with iTunes is when you lose your music on your computer and you cant simply move the music on the Ipod back to the computer without buying a program or messing around with files.

WrathfulDwarf
Well...after 4 years of waiting (no kidding) I finally got my ipod (got a 16gb nano) and been checking out itunes.

So far...meh..pretty impressive library I must say.

I'll keep digging around and see more.

Captain REX
I started using iTunes after my dad told me he didn't want me Limewiring on the family computer. He's given me $20 a month for the past five years for iTunes because he and I are both music lovers and we steal songs and albums off each other all the time. Sometimes iTunes' music selection won't cover certain things (i.e. some artists' older EPs not up, some are missing albums for various reasons), but geez, it's ridiculous how much they DO have that it totally compensates for it. I keep it all very organized but iTunes does most of the work. Albums are usually cheap (though sometimes you can find used albums cheaper, but there are instances where you can't even find what you're looking for anyways and iTunes never runs out!).

I just think it's all very convenient and nifty. Good quality, good selection, mostly cheap. smile

Macabre
Well, iTunes doesn't decide who goes on there, the bands do. You can do it through CDBaby, I think, (my dad is on there). Its just most bands aren't aware of this, and never pursue it. Also, its slows down your computer because iTunes is designed for a Mac. Use windows media player if you are finding iTunes rubbish.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Macabre
Use windows media player if you are finding iTunes rubbish.

Ha....you serious? Hahahahaha

Macabre
Ha....you serious? Hahahahaha

Nope. I hate WMP, but some people like it.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Macabre
Nope. I hate WMP, but some people like it.

I don't think anyone with the choice likes it. People that have never looked beyond the preinstalled shit on their Dell PCs maybe...but I wouldn't call that "like".

Macabre
I don't think anyone with the choice likes it. People that have never looked beyond the preinstalled shit on their Dell PCs maybe...but I wouldn't call that "like".

You'd think, but I know people I've tried to turn off it, and they've refused. I don't talk to them anymore.

occultdestroyer
Because it's proprietary software.

And anything 'proprietary' is synonymous to 'bullshit'.

Bardock42
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
Because it's proprietary software.

And anything 'proprietary' is synonymous to 'bullshit'. What the f**k?

To quote the Princess Bride: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

§P0oONY
I like iTunes as a media player, never really used the store becasue I'm a bad person when it comes to getting my music.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.