Silver surfer vs Thanos

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gecko4lif
Surfer has multiple mans powers and the powergem

can he suceed?

Soljer
Does the power gem also multiply?

Gecko4lif
yes but 1 surfer cannot have more then 1 gem

King Kandy
Surfer would definatly win.

Tshern
Why exactly is this even a match?

Gecko4lif
Originally posted by Tshern
Why exactly is this even a match?

Cuz i was bored

guy222
norrin

spidey-dude
stick out tongue

Galan007
Originally posted by Soljer
Does the power gem also multiply?
Originally posted by Gecko4lif
huh

Juntai
laughing

SpiderGauntlet
Originally posted by Gecko4lif

It pwns it's self

Soljer
Originally posted by Galan007
huh

The Silver Surfer has multiple man's power and a power gem. I was asking if, when Silver Surfer 'duped' himself, he would also dupe a power gem.

The thread starter replied that, yes, but the Surfer couldn't have ten dupes all give him their power gem, thus giving a single Surfer eleven gems.

Though, since one power gem is supposed to give access to unlimited power or whatever...I don't know if it would matter. It might be similar to obtaining more lantern rings.

Juntai
It might be similar to obtaining more lantern rings. More rings does equal more power, provided you have the will to use them.

Soljer
Originally posted by Juntai
More rings does equal more power, provided you have the will to use them.

Where does this idea come from? I could have sworn it was explained that collecting rings doesn't allow you to become any more powerful.

Juntai
Where does this idea come from? I could have sworn it was explained that collecting rings doesn't allow you to become any more powerful. Ever read Emerald Twilight?

When Hal is about to battle Sinestro, he has tons of rings on, and Sinestro only has one.
Sinestro declares that his defeat at the hands of Hal is a forgone conclusion when he's wielding that much power.
So Hal decided to fight him on fair ground, and dropped all but one ring.

Soljer
Ever read Emerald Twilight?

When Hal is about to battle Sinestro, he has tons of rings on, and Sinestro only has one.
Sinestro declares that his defeat at the hands of Hal is a forgone conclusion when he's wielding that much power.
So Hal decided to fight him on fair ground, and dropped all but one ring.

What self-respecting Lantern Fan hasn't at least read Emerald Twilight?

Anyways; I will try to find what leads me to believe that more rings don't neccessarily mean more power. I know it's been said somewhat recently in comics. smile.

Juntai
What self-respecting Lantern Fan hasn't at least read Emerald Twilight?

Anyways; I will try to find what leads me to believe that more rings don't neccessarily mean more power. I know it's been said somewhat recently in comics. smile. You'll also notice Hal tried this tactic in Sinestro Corp, obviously knowing more rings makes more power.

He said his ring was about dead, and he needed a weapon.
Then popped on a bunch of Sinestro rings, and said 'or weaponS'.

Although it failed him, because he could only bring the energy out of the rings, and not manipulate it.

Soljer
You'll also notice Hal tried this tactic in Sinestro Corp, obviously knowing more rings makes more power.

He said his ring was about dead, and he needed a weapon.
Then popped on a bunch of Sinestro rings, and said 'or weaponS'.

Although it failed him, because he could only bring the energy out of the rings, and not manipulate it.

His motivation for popping on a lot of sinestro corps rings couldn't have been a desire not to hear "Power levels 14%" every four panels?

confused

Galan007
Although it failed him, because he could only bring the energy out of the rings, and not manipulate it. It's actually quite a feat that he was able to use them in the first place.

It shows his incredible power of will, to not only harness some of the power within the rings -- but not let the emotions required to activate the rings, control him.

Juntai
His motivation for popping on a lot of sinestro corps rings couldn't have been a desire not to hear "Power levels 14%" every four panels?

confused I'm thinking it's unlikely, given that the Sinestro Corp event is clearly homage to the original event, and in the original event, it makes it pretty clear that more rings is more power.

llagrok
I'm thinking it's unlikely, given that the Sinestro Corp event is clearly homage to the original event, and in the original event, it makes it pretty clear that more rings is more power.

If the user thinks that more rings is more power, then more rings will equal more power.

Juntai
It's actually quite a feat that he was able to use them in the first place.

It shows his incredible power of will, to not only harness some of the power within the rings -- but not let the emotions required to activate the rings, control him. Agreed.

Soljer
It's actually quite a feat that he was able to use them in the first place.

It shows his incredible power of will, to not only harness some of the power within the rings -- but not let the emotions required to activate the rings, control him.

Being that yellow is one of the closest to green on the emotional spectrum, I don't think it was quite as impressive as you make it out.

If he had taken a dozen red or violet rings and manipulated those without letting anger or love take him over, it would have been an incredible feat of will.

Soljer
Originally posted by llagrok
If the user thinks that more rings is more power, then more rings will equal more power.

That is what I had heard latest. It's, more or less, a placebo effect that let's the user be more confident in himself.

Galan007
Being that yellow is one of the closest to green on the emotional spectrum, I don't think it was quite as impressive as you make it out.

If he had taken a dozen red or violet rings and manipulated those without letting anger or love take him over, it would have been an incredible feat of will. For Hal to not let fear overcome him is very impressive, considering his history.

Stop hating. stick out tongue

Soljer
For Hal to not let fear overcome him is very impressive, considering his history.

Stop hating. stick out tongue

I'm not hating, I was merely pointing out that yellow and blue would be the easiest to use without succumbing to one's emotions.

Galan007
I'm not hating, I was merely pointing out that yellow and blue would be the easiest to use without succumbing to one's emotions. Depends on your perspective, I guess.

Soljer
Depends on your perspective, I guess.

What do you mean? The further away from green, the more the emotion controls you and not vice versa. That much is not based on perspective but is canon fact. Fear and hope being the closest to willpower is also canon fact.

Which part of that is based on your perspective?

Galan007
Which part of that is based on your perspective? Hal's experience with fear overcoming him -- and Hal controlling those fears to combat Sinestro, without letting them control him.

That makes it a little more impressive to me... Not saying the other rings may not be harder to use, or whatever -- just that Hal using the Yellow is still damn impressive.

Soljer
Hal's experience with fear overcoming him -- and Hal controlling those fears to combat Sinestro, without letting them control him.

That makes it a little more impressive to me... Not saying the other rings may not be harder to use, or whatever -- just that Hal using the Yellow is still damn impressive.

Understandable, and I get where you're coming from.

But Green Lanterns, from day one, are taught, trained, and experienced in overcoming fear. It's what they are trained to do. They don't have practice fighting anger, hope, or greed.

They fight fear.

Considering that Hal is an experienced fear-fighter (so to speak), and that fear is the easiest emotion to overcome, I still maintain that it'd be harder for anyone - Highball included - to fight anger or love than to fight fear.

The Great Galen
On paper and based off feats, Surfer would 10/10...but when u add in lame marvel wrting somehow Thanos wins WTF.

Soljer
Originally posted by The Great Galen
On paper and based off feats, Surfer would 10/10...but when u add in lame marvel wrting somehow Thanos wins WTF.

I agree. I don't understand it.

I mean, look at the Silver Surfer's showing against Odin. Norrin should *****-smack Thanos every time.

Mr. Slippyfist
Originally posted by The Great Galen
On paper and based off feats, Surfer would 10/10...but when u add in lame marvel wrting somehow Thanos wins WTF. That made no sense.

Change your account name.

vlaaad12345
I agree. I don't understand it.

I mean, look at the Silver Surfer's showing against Odin. Norrin should *****-smack Thanos every time.
I C WAT U DID THUR.

Juntai
Understandable, and I get where you're coming from.

But Green Lanterns, from day one, are taught, trained, and experienced in overcoming fear. It's what they are trained to do. They don't have practice fighting anger, hope, or greed.

They fight fear.

Considering that Hal is an experienced fear-fighter (so to speak), and that fear is the easiest emotion to overcome, I still maintain that it'd be harder for anyone - Highball included - to fight anger or love than to fight fear. Fair enough, but it's not also just overcoming fear, it's the ability to be immune to it, while wielding it as a weapon.

Although Batman can probably pull it off, it's a great feat for a Lantern, he's probably the only one that could have done it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.