Darwinism: Survival without Purpose

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ushomefree

ushomefree
Part-Two

Purpose and Christianity

Christianity teaches that God made the universe as a home for humans. If the universe evolved purely by natural means, then it just exists and any "purpose" for its existence can only be that which humans themselves attribute to it. But our own experience and intellectual attainments argue against this. The similarity of human-constructed machines and the orderly functioning of the universe is the basis of the design argument. Just as a machine requires a designer and a builder, so too the universe that we see requires a designer and a builder.

Determining the purpose of something depends on the observer's worldview. To a nontheist the question "What is the purpose of a living organism's structure?" means only "How does this structure aid survival?" Eyesight and legs would therefore have nothing to do with enjoyment of life; they are merely an unintended byproduct of evolution. Biologists consistently explain everything from coloration to sexual habits solely on the basis of survival. Orthodox neo-Darwinism views everything as either an unfortunate or a fortuitous event resulting from the outworking of natural law and random, naturally-selected mutations. Conversely, creationists interpret all reality according to beliefs about God's purpose for humans. Evolutionists can usually explain even contradictory behavior, but creationists look beyond this and try to determine what role it plays in God's plan.

Conclusions

Orthodox evolution teaches that the living world has no plan or purpose except survival, is random, undirected, and heartless. Humans live in a world that cares nothing for us, our minds are simply masses of meat, and no divine plan exists to guide us. These teachings are hardly neutral, but rather openly teach religion--the religion of atheism and nihilism. The courts have consistently approved teaching this anti-Christian religion in public schools and have blocked all attempts to neutralize these clearly religious ideas.

As the Word of God states, "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables" (2 Timothy 4:3-4).

http://www.icr.org/article/3513

chickenlover98
you realize that the need to understand things and desire to learn our beginnings and also natural disasters layed the foundation for all religion correct? it doesnt prove religion in any way shape or form

Symmetric Chaos
What's with the ridiculous text? It's very hard to read.

leonheartmm
evolution does not teach ANTI CHRISTIANITY or nihhlism. it doesnt teach anything. and morals and purpose can exist without divinity.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by leonheartmm
evolution does not teach ANTI CHRISTIANITY or nihhlism. it doesnt teach anything. and morals and purpose can exist without divinity.

thumb up

DigiMark007
F*ck this. Dawkins makes such statements to point out the common misconceptions about a Darwinian model, though he does own up to some of the possible implications of Darwinism. Very few talk as lovingly and emotionally about life itself and the natural forces that conspire to produce it. He has written entire books that he dedicates as love letters to either science or humanity, or some combination thereof.

Ushome is pulling quotes ridiculously out of context to make a very (very) wrong point.

Also dude, your thread habits are beginning to remind me of JIA. Tone down the hardcore evangelization a bit if you want most to even listen to you.

Originally posted by leonheartmm

To extrapolate on this would be to obscure its elegant simplicity. Well said.

Devil King
Originally posted by ushomefree
Christianity teaches that God made the universe as a home for humans.

And thinking that you live in a sort of a galactic fish tank doesn't somehow diminish the purpose of your existence?

I also think that it's a cop out that creationism gives you purpose. It removes all personal responsability from your life.

Christianity is basically just mental welfare.

Atlantis001
I didn't read it all and I won't, but here is what I think.

First, evolution is not against the concept of god, purpose, or design.

Second, evolution is real. It happened, there is nothing you can do about it.

Third, when evolutionism is used to attack one of these concepts, then there are always speculation involved. What I am saying is that we can use evolution as a basis, but there is always personal opinion involved when someones apparently "proves" that there can be no god, design, or purpose. There is always extrapolation involved.

Fourth, science can't prove that there is no god, design or purpose. If someone says it does, then that person is not being scientific. It is always a personal interpretation, at least until now.

Fifth, the beliefs of Richard Dawkins are his own personal interpretations and do not necessarily represent scientific truth. So, you can't use him to represent science. In other words, he is acting like the christian religious extremists that deny evolution at all costs.

So, when you see people attacking the concept of purpose or design in nature, not necessarily it means that someone proved they can't exist. They are just making interpretations of what that could mean, what is okay as long as they do not think their interpretation is necessarily scientific truth.

There are many theories that point towards the possibility of a design in nature and a purpose. It is common, to see physicists making this kind of interpretation when talking about cosmological constants, or a unified field theory.... and no one represses them.

Science is not an enemy of purpose, actually IMO is easier to see purpose in nature in science than in religion since science can be understood by reason. Remembering that by using the term science, I do not mean "personal interpretations of scientists or another people".

xmarksthespot

DigiMark007

Bicnarok
all theorysmile

chickenlover98
Originally posted by Devil King
I also think that it's a cop out that creationism gives you purpose. It removes all personal responsability from your life.

Christianity is basically just mental welfare.

your god damn right. they use it as a shield, if i kill someone and atone for my sins at confessional, then everything's fine. im sick of people using religion as a shield

ushomefree
Me too.

chickenlover98
Originally posted by ushomefree
Me too. laughing laughing out loud laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.