The Mayflower Compact

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Epic thread incoming.

Boris
YES!

Shakyamunison
And one very important cargo was on board: Beer!.

leonheartmm
wtfrig?

chickenlover98
Originally posted by leonheartmm
wtfrig?

good question

Shakyamunison
wtfrig?

Beer!

Deja~vu
Then why is there an issue between the King James instead of the Geneva Bible? The Puritans wouldn't acknowdge the King James Bible.

They were a persecuted people, remember? I believe before they came to the new country they were trying to get from England from the Dutch land ships. They were considered trouble makers and came to American countrys in ships with thieves. They went against the King and his new bible. They were hunted down and troublesome In England. I do believe they are now know as the Calvinists. They were considered a cult at the time.

Quark_666
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
And one very important cargo was on board: Beer!.

wtfrig?

Originally posted by chickenlover98
good question

Beer!

eek!

Deja~vu
Lets decuss the compact and what led up to it.

chickenlover98
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Lets decuss the compact and what led up to it.

well you see my dear watson its elementary. they discovered the magical crack fairy, who produced crack cocaine. once they had smoked a whole bunch, they decided they didnt need england as it was filled with many people who hated the crack fairy for bringing enjoyment to the land. and so they built the mayflower and took the magical crack fairy with them. this is the story of America

TRH
BEER!

chickenlover98
Originally posted by TRH
BEER!

not beer, CRACK!!!

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Then why is there an issue between the King James instead of the Geneva Bible? The Puritans wouldn't acknowdge the King James Bible.

They were a persecuted people, remember? I believe before they came to the new country they were trying to get from England from the Dutch land ships. They were considered trouble makers and came to American countrys in ships with thieves. They went against the King and his new bible. They were hunted down and troublesome In England. I do believe they are now know as the Calvinists. They were considered a cult at the time.
Basically, the Puritans wanted to purify the Anglican church from what they saw as unbiblical teachings and corruption (such as using a prayer book). The Pilgrims wanted to purify the Puritans from what they saw as unbiblical teachings and corruption. However, the Pilgrims were like, "Wtf, we can't fight the Church in England, so let's go found a new country." And thus America was born.

chickenlover98
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Basically, the Puritans wanted to purify the Anglican church from what they saw as unbiblical teachings and corruption (such as using a prayer book). The Pilgrims wanted to purify the Puritans from what they saw as unbiblical teachings and corruption.

no no NO. the Puritans left because of the lack of respect for the crack fairy. Dont you know ur history?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
I see my thread has already been broken.

chickenlover98

Chuck would be proud. so would the Crack fairy

Quark_666

Your thread was so fulfilling at first!

leonheartmm
not beer, RUM!!!!!!!!!!! cause jack sparrow said so

Symmetric Chaos

The puritains were quite well off and left of their own volition not by sneaking onto ships (though there was certaily some prodding to leave both times). They wanted to reform the Church of England and when they discovered that they couldn't do that from within England they decided to create a perfect "city on a hill" that would prove how awesome Puritanism was.

They weren't exactly hunted down, but the Church did try to supress active Puritan churches. I almost certain they weren't considered a cult.

Do Calvinists still exist?

TRH
Originally posted by chickenlover98
not beer, CRACK!!! There was no crack on the mayflower!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by TRH
There was no crack on the mayflower!

I think there was a crack, in one of the ships, that developed during the voyage.

So, they had beer and crack. laughing

TRH
I think there was a crack, in one of the ships, that developed during the voyage.

So, they had beer and crack. laughing laughing

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The puritains were quite well off and left of their own volition not by sneaking onto ships (though there was certaily some prodding to leave both times). They wanted to reform the Church of England and when they discovered that they couldn't do that from within England they decided to create a perfect "city on a hill" that would prove how awesome Puritanism was.

They weren't exactly hunted down, but the Church did try to supress active Puritan churches. I almost certain they weren't considered a cult.

Do Calvinists still exist? They went to the Dutch first, but that wouldn't work. They were not hunted down, but out casted. So they moved to America where they started the Salem Witch trials to purify the new land.

Awesome man, awesome.

chickenlover98
Originally posted by TRH
There was no crack on the mayflower!

of course there was. dont you know the story of the crack fairy?

Symmetric Chaos
They went to the Dutch first, but that wouldn't work. They were not hunted down, but out casted.

Hunted down was your words.

So they moved to America where they started the Salem Witch trials to purify the new land.

Which were successful as there are now very few powerful witches in America.

Awesome man, awesome.

thumb up

Devil King
So, this is another "the United States is a christian nation" thread, yes?

Regret
Basically, the Puritans wanted to purify the Anglican church from what they saw as unbiblical teachings and corruption (such as using a prayer book). The Pilgrims wanted to purify the Puritans from what they saw as unbiblical teachings and corruption. However, the Pilgrims were like, "Wtf, we can't fight the Church in England, so let's go found a new country." And thus America was born. ROFL, the US was born when the colonies broke from England. Before then it was just a bunch of Brits and Frenchies and stuff talking about crap. None of that was the reason for the US, the reason for the US was economics, nothing more.

Devil King
Originally posted by Regret
the reason for the US was economics, nothing more.

One can't disagree with that.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Regret
ROFL, the US was born when the colonies broke from England. Before then it was just a bunch of Brits and Frenchies and stuff talking about crap. None of that was the reason for the US, the reason for the US was economics, nothing more.
Erm...what I said was true. What you said was also true. However, the Pilgrims were the birth of the United States when it was still a British colony.

Regret
Erm...what I said was true. What you said was also true. However, the Pilgrims were the birth of the United States when it was still a British colony. For some of them, yes probably, for most of them? I'm not so certain it wasn't the economic benefits of leaving their home countries for the possibility of great land possession and economic value such land would offer. The "American Dream" grew from the Pilgrims into what it is today, people don't often come here for religious freedom, they come here because even the poverty stricken have an opportunity to try for more. People left England for the economic power and distance from the governing power of Europe, religion was a pretext that allowed political correctness for those that needed it.

Devil King
Erm...what I said was true. What you said was also true. However, the Pilgrims were the birth of the United States when it was still a British colony.

How many times does the Compact mention an independant nation? How many times does it cite James as King? How many times does it mention Virginia, as if that was the name of the colony before the Compact was written? How many times does it mention "We the People of the United States"?

The Mayflower compact is the governing document of those people who subscribed to it, not the unified position of all 13 colonies.

It is far too often cited as the basis for a chiristian nation, which is simply not the case.

Shakyamunison
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/051125.html

So, the birth of America was because of BEER!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.