Batman: Gotham Knight

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
With all the attention TDK is getting fans may have not notice this upcoming project:

Look forward to it this summer. happy

Sado22
yeah i am. somewhere in the beginning of this year. Can't wait.

@st
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
With all the attention TDK is getting fans may have not notice this upcoming project:

Look forward to it this summer. happy

Oh yeah, AniBatman. stick out tongue

I tried watching the Animatrix when it came out, and I couldnt really get into it, I hope that isnt the case here.

JediSamuraiMRB
I look forward to this. I'm buying at least two dvds

Devil King
Originally posted by JediSamuraiMRB
I look forward to this. I'm buying at least two dvds

Does that mean that they're not all on the same DVD, or are you saying you'll be buying two copies of the same DVD?

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by Devil King
Does that mean that they're not all on the same DVD, or are you saying you'll be buying two copies of the same DVD?

Yes I am saying that I'm buying two copies

apoc001
This should be good. Supposedly the movie is divided into several segments, each with its own art style. Hopefully they're not all different versions of the cheap anime crap we get so often on TV.

freek
Yeh there are meant to be 6 segments each drawn in a different art style. supposedly to reflect the way the comics are. this should be awesome!!

also bale is rumoured to be doing the voice of batman for the whole lot

Black Adam
some of the best people in the anime biz are working on it with Bruce Timm directing. Count me as one that's excited.

FistOfThe North
Oh man. This DVD may be worth buying.

I'll be looking out for it. I love in-stories.

Devil King
Yes I am saying that I'm buying two copies

May I ask why that's necessary?

Just wondering.

WrathfulDwarf
May I ask why that's necessary?

Just wondering.

There maybe two editions a regular and a limited edition...or...there maybe a recall like the one that happen with first BB comic book dvd. Which later became a collector's rarity.

Or...just for the heck of it. wink

JediSamuraiMRB
There maybe two editions a regular and a limited edition...or...there maybe a recall like the one that happen with first BB comic book dvd. Which later became a collector's rarity.

Exactly

Devil King
Exactly

LOL! Exactly which? Is there a special edition disc?

I guess I could look this stuff up for myself.

JediSamuraiMRB
LOL! Exactly which? Is there a special edition disc?

I guess I could look this stuff up for myself.

Devil King what I mean is when Batman: Gotham knights comes out in a few months I am going to buy two copies at least. I'm not sure but there may be a special or limited edition version with more stuff on it in which case that'll be a version I'm buying. If its just a regular standard dvd thats fine I'll still buy two copies and put one in storage just in case it becomes a collector's item.

Bat Dude
Devil King what I mean is when Batman: Gotham knights comes out in a few months I am going to buy two copies at least. I'm not sure but there may be a special or limited edition version with more stuff on it in which case that'll be a version I'm buying. If its just a regular standard dvd thats fine I'll still buy two copies and put one in storage just in case it becomes a collector's item.

Good idea!

atharpina
what kind of story lines will be going on in this?

SnakeEyes
Could be good.

But I know at least one of the six stories is an anime.

Anime+Batman= something that shouldn't happen under any circumstances.

Bat Dude
I really don't understand why people have this "It should never happen" feeling towards Anime Batman... What, are the Japanese not allowed to use the character in a art style they are used to? WE were allowed to butcher Transformers (and we're about to with DBZ), so I think whatever the people in charge are doing will be better and a LOT more respectful towards the character than ANYTHING made by Americans (example: Puroresu > WWE)...

SnakeEyes
What you just said was honestly ridiculous. It is not a matter of what people are allowed to do, it is a matter of what people should do. And in my opinion, nobody should mix anime and Batman simply because I believe the character, plot, and tone wouldn't translate well at all into the anime style.

Also your logic makes no sense. Because, in your opinion, we butchered the Transformers franchise, that means that they will be make this Batman installment better than "ANYTHING" made by Americans? Umm, right.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
What you just said was honestly ridiculous. It is not a matter of what people are allowed to do, it is a matter of what people should do. And in my opinion, nobody should mix anime and Batman simply because I believe the character, plot, and tone wouldn't translate well at all into the anime style.

Also your logic makes no sense. Because, in your opinion, we butchered the Transformers franchise, that means that they will be make this Batman installment better than "ANYTHING" made by Americans? Umm, right.

The context of that post was obviously lost on you, so I'll break it down for you...

You said that Batman and Anime should never mix... What I basically said (or at least tried to say) was that people by nature want to make things the way they're used to, so obviously, people who are used to anime would want a character they're not used to to be used in a style they are familiar with... If Anime Batman = New Batman Fans, then I'm all for it...

And yes, I think if Americans are allowed to have a chance adapting Transformers in a way we're used to (movie takes place on American soil, American actors, etc.) (which we butchered, btw), then I think the Japanese are allowed to have a chance adapting Batman in a way they're used to... It's a simple, fair solution (and I'm sure they won't butcher it, either)

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Bat Dude
The context of that post was obviously lost on you, so I'll break it down for you...

You said that Batman and Anime should never mix... What I basically said (or at least tried to say) was that people by nature want to make things the way they're used to, so obviously, people who are used to anime would want a character they're not used to to be used in a style they are familiar with... If Anime Batman = New Batman Fans, then I'm all for it...

And yes, I think if Americans are allowed to have a chance adapting Transformers in a way we're used to (movie takes place on American soil, American actors, etc.) (which we butchered, btw), then I think the Japanese are allowed to have a chance adapting Batman in a way they're used to... It's a simple, fair solution (and I'm sure they won't butcher it, either)

No context was lost.

What you're saying just isn't relevant.

I don't care if the Japanese have good intentions behind what they're doing, etc, that really doesn't matter. In your first paragraph above you are defending why they are doing it and what you fail to realize is that it makes no difference. Just because somebody has good intentions behind a project doesn't mean they should do it.

And secondly, you keep on bringing up the fact that because Americans are "allowed" to adapt Transformers, they should be "allowed" to adapt Batman. When did I ever mention anything about anyone being "allowed" to do anything? Of course they are allowed to. What I'm saying is that they SHOULDN'T. Not because they don't have the right to do so, but because the end result will suck for various reasons, imo.

Black Adam
Could be good.

But I know at least one of the six stories is an anime.

all six stories are being animated by one of three Japanese studios.

only one is actually being directed by a Japanese person though.( Satoshi Kon is a fantastic director by the way)

the character, plot, and tone wouldn't translate well at all into the anime style.

just out of curiosity, what are the animes you have watched?

Black Adam
preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oW71WB254M

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by Black Adam
preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oW71WB254M

I can't wait to buy several copies.

Black Adam
Deadshot's new look reminds me of someone...yet I can't put my finger on it

also that crock short has sort of a mignola/Hellboy look, which isn't a bad thing.

superchron
yuSwj5ok24k

MrHeavySilence
AniBatmantrix has the potential to be really good.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Black Adam
Deadshot's new look reminds me of someone...yet I can't put my finger on it

laughing out loud

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by superchron
yuSwj5ok24k

Holy Bat-Orgasm! batman

WrathfulDwarf
Confirmed!

Kevin Conroy will be the voice of Batman in Gotham Knight!

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=150737

Joy! Happy Dance

BruceSkywalker
Confirmed!

Kevin Conroy will be the voice of Batman in Gotham Knight!

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=150737

Joy! Happy Dance

Thats good to hear. Conroy's voice has always been great when he portrays Batman.

ragesRemorse
If its half as good as phantasm it will be worth watching. I doubt it will deliver anything as competent in the story, as phantasm did. Personally, i would be happy with animation better than the saturday morning cartoon style, and a fairly mature story. DC likes to make these animated movies with the lowest budget which brings HORRIBLE animation.
Why can't someone invest in hiring accomplished artists? When Batman and Wolverine were handled by manga artists. THe result was a rare and beautiful product. The only element missing was story telling. If you search for it, you can find the japanese drawn opening to the X-men cartoon. Considering that the opening was done with no budget and many years ago. It is astounding to me that its artwork is till better than any current, western cartoon. Not to mention that the opening shamed the american drawn and korean colored cartoon.

Micheal_Myers
The sneak peak looks great, and I will most likely purchase this.

nobody should mix anime and Batman simply because I believe the character, plot, and tone wouldn't translate well at all into the anime style.

If you took the time to watch any anime beyond what is played on cartoon network you would find that anime is a less strict style than you believe. Try comparing Hellsing Ultimate to Poke'mon. This is just one example of anime's range in styles.

sithsaber408

Just curious about this, I have a 2 disc Collectors Edition of Batman Begins, and it came with a comic book that has the first original batman story, another one about batman's training, and a part of "The Long Halloween".

I bought it the day that the film was released on DVD. Is that what was recalled?

If so, Why?

I ask because my version works fine!

Kazenji
Damn that batman preview on the youtube link has been taken down.

WrathfulDwarf
It's up again! Enjoy!

BLmj8NccZDM

BruceSkywalker
It's up again! Enjoy!

BLmj8NccZDM

Love it

WrathfulDwarf
It's defenetly a Batman summer. cool

Wolverine2006
Gotham Knight looks really cool, but if this is supposed to take place in between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight then how come in some of the shorts he looks like Batman from the comics...and so does Scarecrow. Either way this is going to kick ass.

WrathfulDwarf
Head up gang! July 8th Gotham Knight will be released. Don't forget to post your reviews here.

BruceSkywalker
Head up gang! July 8th Gotham Knight will be released. Don't forget to post your reviews here.

I can't wait. I definitely post a review after I watch it.

Endrict Nuul
I really enjoyed it.............. 5/5

"I work through pain" I love that line.....

In Darkness Dwells was the best story. Have I Got A Story For You and Deadshot was also pretty good. Working Through Pain wasn't good on action but was a good story on how Bats deals with pain....The others weren't as good imo.

zbucsz
im watching it right now i like the style too it.............and it would be dope if batman had those powers at the start when the kids talks

T.M
Pre ordered it today.. not out here till the 14th.

D_A_R_E
I just requested it from my town's library system. It should be here by Monday. I can't wait to watch it.

brainchild81
One of the GK shorts is on Comcast OnDemand

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by T.M
Pre ordered it today.. not out here till the 14th.

Why would you get it late? Are you outside of the US?

freek
It was fantastic.
Watched it in the cinemas today and the writing and animation all were extremely fluid and well done. The link between stories may confuse some people, especially those unfamiliar with batman or at least batman: begins, but it will still leave them impressed with the quality of the work. Admittedly some of the designs require a little getting used to; if you aren't a fan of anime than doubly so, but still a fantastic addition to the batman franchise.

T.M
Why would you get it late? Are you outside of the US?

Yeah UK.

Wolverine2006
I loved it, it was really good and i loved the animation. And the special features were great too, came with 4 of the best Batman TAS episodes and a featurette on Batmans Rogue Gallery. True Batfans definitely should not miss out. 8/10

Micheal_Myers
Good stuff...I liked all the shorts except for the first....while the plot line was okay, the animation and art style on the first short film was horrible.

Bat Dude
Gotham Knight was pretty kool...

Definitely liked the last 2 stories the most...

apoc001
It was too emo for me.

Micheal_Myers
Originally posted by apoc001
It was too emo for me.

What was Emo about it??...

sithsaber408
Good Stuff. thumb up

I liked them all except for the first story, where batman's animation was all wierd.

I really liked the Crossfire story, the Deadshot story, and the Field Test story.

Through the Pain was ok, and the one with killer croc was OK as well.

The first one was just goofy to me though.

The stories all connect as well, where the guy caught in the first short is being brought to Arkham in the next short (I REALLY liked that one, Crossfire, and it's depiction of the Narrows as this place that's lost to all the inmates and like a seperate crazy part of Gotham.) and then continuing story of the Russian and Moroni.

Cool stuff.

Devil King
I liked it very much. It kind of did the job of injecting the comic book aspect of the franchise into the more realistic world that is depicted in the movies. I would have prefered that the character designs of the Scarecrow and Croc have been a little more realistic, but I got over it. The only problem I had was with the first story "That's not what I heard", I think was the name. I can't remember at this point as I just bought it last night and haven't watched it more than once yet. I liked the story very much, but I found the animation distracting.

Over all I'd give it a solid 4.5 out of 5

Mairuzu
Just got it on Blueray

about to watch it

Mairuzu
Amazing!

i loved the second story, batman looked awesome in it.

Deadshot was great also

Impediment
I don't know why everyone doesn't like "Have I got a story for you" episode. I loved the different styles of animation of Batman, and, to me, it conveys the whole "power of myth" storytelling when talking about the Dark Knight.

My favorite episode was "Crossfire". Greg Rucka is such an awesome writer, in my opinion. I loved how Batman just stood in the burning wreckage and eyed down Maroni like a beast.

Also, I am very glad that Kevin Conroy was the voice actor in all of the episodes. Kevin Conroy is the voice of Batman, IMO.

BruceSkywalker
I loved all the episodes. Good stories they were. I hope another one is made

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Impediment
I don't know why everyone doesn't like "Have I got a story for you" episode. I loved the different styles of animation of Batman, and, to me, it conveys the whole "power of myth" storytelling when talking about the Dark Knight.

My favorite episode was "Crossfire". Greg Rucka is such an awesome writer, in my opinion. I loved how Batman just stood in the burning wreckage and eyed down Maroni like a beast.

Also, I am very glad that Kevin Conroy was the voice actor in all of the episodes. Kevin Conroy is the voice of Batman, IMO. Agreed, Crossfire was the best one

batman looked amazing

Mairuzu
I didn't like the look of this batman at all

but the story was alright

http://albotas.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/gothamknight1.jpg

Devil King
I agree. I didn't like that look at all.

T.M
Finally saw it today. I really enjoyed all the storys. I think Crossfire was the best of them, but all the storys were really good.

Mairuzu
Looks like everyone loved Crossfire big grin

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by Mairuzu
I didn't like the look of this batman at all

but the story was alright

http://albotas.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/gothamknight1.jpg

for that one i liked the look of the head or helmet or whatever its called, looked really anime, but from the neck down no.

Robtard
Looks like everyone loved Crossfire big grin

I liked the Deadshot one best, Crossfire as #2. I did love the hulking appearance of Batman in Crossfire though, I prefer a broader Bats than a leaner.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Robtard
I liked the Deadshot one best, Crossfire as #2. I did love the hulking appearance of Batman in Crossfire though, I prefer a broader Bats than a leaner. Standing there in the fire... amazing

WrathfulDwarf
I personally liked "Have I got a story to tell you".

Different pov on Batman. Really dig it. thumb up

Da Joker
I just bought it today but haven't actually watched the episodes yet. I watched some special features on the second disc but not the episodes. It seems like they really put a lot of time into this though.

Robtard
Standing there in the fire... amazing

http://www.gorilla.cz/photobank/15862.jpg
Was the best visual interpretation of Batman, imo.

http://film-book.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/lrg-392-s6-bat_04.jpg
'Deadshot' had the 2nd best visual. I didn't care much for the others.

Allankles
Somehow I liked "working through the pain" the best, because it gave a graphic and realistic representation of how hard it would be to be the Batman, he's just a normal guy (albeit with wealth and martial arts skills) in body armor trying to stop crime. Seeing Batman's obvious (although not often enough depicted) vulnerability was interesting.

Crossfire was my second best, as it's Batman using his knowledge and technology to give the illusion of invulnerability.

"Have I got a story for you" was the third best story for me. And Deadshot came in fourth. The other two were ok, didn't like their art style and their plots weren't particularly interesting. Although it was nice to see Batman take a swipe at actually being close to invulnerable without resorting to a big war suit, in Field test.

Da Joker
I thought that this was really handled well & the animation was brilliant. I do think the first story could've been better. However, I'd like to see more of stories like this & longer ones. Personally, doing the Joker & getting Hamil to voice him would be perfect if they do this again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.