Overrated Albums Posting Zone.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shiv
felt this deserved its own spot seperate from The most overrated artiste discussion thread.

Got summin to say? Spill it.

Tempe Brennan
Anything that Silverchair and Nickelback have released, or will release, will be overrated. Also, Kylie Minogue's latest album, 'X' - a virtual flop, but people still like to say it's 'The album of the year'.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Tempe Brennan
Anything that Silverchair and Nickelback have released, or will release, will be overrated. Also, Kylie Minogue's latest album, 'X' - a virtual flop, but people still like to say it's 'The album of the year'. T-that would be the year In Rainbows, Neon Bible and Icky Thump were released?

chillmeistergen
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band by The Beatles.

Alpha Centauri
Anything by The Beatles, Machine Head, U2, Coldplay or Pink Floyd.

Baring in mind, this is for overrated albums, not albums you just don't understand and therefore consider overrated.

-AC

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by Bardock42
T-that would be the year In Rainbows, Neon Bible and Icky Thump were released?

Neon Ballroom, it was called...plus Straight Lines. Frogstomp was okay but that was back in their grunge days, kinda Kurt Cobain like.

Nickelback, well, is there anyone out there who is brave enough to admit liking them?

Gotta add Hinder to the list, too. Most overrated piece of shit ever.

Alpha Centauri
I've never seen Hinder be rated highly.

-AC

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I've never seen Hinder be rated highly.

-AC

Whoops! My bad, this is the overrated albums hread, isn't it? laughing out loud

Nellinator
Everything by The Beatles, Machine Head's "Blackening" came to mind when AC mentioned them, though I don't feel their older stuff has received enough kudos to be overrated. Everything by Yngwie Malmsteen save Rising Force, The Black Album by Metallica, Reign in Blood by Slayer, and everything by Mike Oldfield.

Bardock42
Neon Ballroom, it was called...plus Straight Lines. Frogstomp was okay but that was back in their grunge days, kinda Kurt Cobain like.

Nickelback, well, is there anyone out there who is brave enough to admit liking them?

Gotta add Hinder to the list, too. Most overrated piece of shit ever. I am positive I meant Neon Bible.

shiv
Screamyonce's solo albums also score highly in the downright whack category . whistle

shiv
haerm: I know two songs from Silver Side Up/Nickelback by heart.

th album itself is ok but not great.

shiv
one.
two..
three
and to the four

Stevie Wonder : Innervisions -nuff said-
Naz : Illmatic -straitjacket lyrics, and flat delivery there-of over flat beats
Jay Z : Reasonable Doubt -
Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of The Moon -album full a' filler. mindnumbing.

RocasAtoll
I am positive I meant Neon Bible.

It's okay Bardock. They just don't understand.

I'm going to say The Who. Whoever thinks Jimmy Page is the best guitarist ever should actually listen to other guitarists from his generation and see he's like 4th from the 60s and 70s.

Tempe Brennan
I am positive I meant Neon Bible.

Which artist are you refering to?

chillmeistergen
Which artist are you refering to?

Arcade Fire.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
It's okay Bardock. They just don't understand.

I'm going to say The Who. Whoever thinks Jimmy Page is the best guitarist ever should actually listen to other guitarists from his generation and see he's like 4th from the 60s and 70s.

What does Jimmy Page have to do with The Who? Or was it just a non sequitur?

RocasAtoll
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
What does Jimmy Page have to do with The Who? Or was it just a non sequitur?

Ya, I just saw that. Meant to put Led Zeppelin instead of The Who.

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by shiv
one.
two..
three
and to the four

Stevie Wonder : Innervisions -nuff said-
Naz : Illmatic -straitjacket lyrics, and flat delivery there-of over flat beats
Jay Z : Reasonable Doubt -
Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of The Moon -album full a' filler. mindnumbing. I'd agree with Illmatic. I dont think it's as terrible as you claim, but it's definitely not worthy of it's general rank as "the greatest rap album of all time."

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Arcade Fire.

This album was mentioned after someone quoted my post - obviously I was going to assume the person directed their comments at me

chillmeistergen
This album was mentioned after someone quoted my post - obviously I was going to assume the person directed their comments at me

It was directed at you saying that people say Kylie's offering was the best of 2007. Bardock replied by saying that In Rainbows by Radiohead, Neon Bible by Arcade Fire and Icky Thump by The White Stripes were all released in 2007, the same year as Kylie's album. You then misunderstood the point of his post, twice.

jaden101
a few people are mentioning era vulgaris as one of the best albums of last year in another thread...i think relative to some of QoTSA other stuff its pretty lacklustre so i think it's being overrated

Alpha Centauri
I think that album is brilliant, but that's me.

-AC

Bad Boy
I got a lot of respect for Silverchair. They were like 14 when Frogstomp came out. I'm not a great fan of their last album but I'll appreciate it as there is no boundaries to it. It's experimental beyond belief.

However, Nickleback can cock off!

Anything released by charity shops bands like Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys!

jaden101

-AC

whatever floats your boat i suppose eh?

Pezmerga

-AC

I agree. I think Era Vulgaris was a great step foward for QOTSA. It along with Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine tree, Neon Bible by Arcade fire, Snakes and Arrows by Rush, Zeitgeist by Smashing Pumpkins, Anonymous by Tomahawk, Doomsday Afternoon by Phideaux, Icky Thump by The White Stripes and In Rainbows by Radiohead made 2007 one hell of a year for music!

Alpha Centauri
For my tastes, the past six or so years have been brilliant.

-AC

Funkadelic
Voodoo - D'Angelo
Journey Through The Secret Life Of Plants - Stevie Wonder

tabby999
Anything by The Beatles, Machine Head, U2, Coldplay or Pink Floyd.

Baring in mind, this is for overrated albums, not albums you just don't understand and therefore consider overrated.

-AC

But how do you know if people "understand" an album? By that logic, you must "understand" all Beatles, Machine Head, U2, Coldplay or Pink Floyd made.

Dosn't that strike you as a little... i dunno, bold a claim?

Alpha Centauri
Because it's obvious when there's something more to a band than just writing a catchy song.

-AC

BobbyD
Nivana's first album.

Was it good? Yes.

Did it deserve all the hype it got? No.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by BobbyD
Nivana's first album.

Was it good? Yes.

Did it deserve all the hype it got? No.

Bleach didn't get that much hype, Nevermind did though.

tabby999
Because it's obvious when there's something more to a band than just writing a catchy song.

-AC

I understand that, but it wasn't really what I was asking.

I'm still not sure how you judge whether or not someone "understands" and album. Every person takes something different from a song/album, whether its what the artist intended or not, so how do you differentiate between someone who "understands" and someone who doesn't? Isn't it all down to the individual interpretation?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by tabby999
I understand that, but it wasn't really what I was asking.

I'm still not sure how you judge whether or not someone "understands" and album. Every person takes something different from a song/album, whether its what the artist intended or not, so how do you differentiate between someone who "understands" and someone who doesn't? Isn't it all down to the individual interpretation?

It's not about what they get out of it, really.

It's just the way certain people express opinions on certain bands. People saying bands like Radiohead, Tool and Fantomas are just bands with nothing there to "get", are people who do not understand those bands.

-AC

tabby999
But just because a band has a message (or like Radiohead, Tool and Fantomas, many messages) doesn't mean people have to like it, yeah?

As we both know (and have argued about many times) I'm no Tool fan. I understand that they do have intelligent messages through their music, but it doesn't mean I "have" to like them. If the sound a band makes doesn't engage the listener, they're not going to find the messages because they don't want to listen to the band repeatedly to find them.

Does that make sense?

Bardock42
Why would you attack AC then. He said exactly what you believe.

Alpha Centauri
For the record; I don't think you were attacking me, Tabby.

But just because a band has a message (or like Radiohead, Tool and Fantomas, many messages) doesn't mean people have to like it, yeah?

A) Of course not.

B) It's not necessarily messages.

You can't have a conversation with a stupid person about the nature and concept of infinity, and the same applies to music. You can't expect certain people to grasp what bands are doing, and they don't HAVE to in order to enjoy it, but the fact is they still may not totally grasp it. There's such a thing as musical intelligence.

As we both know (and have argued about many times) I'm no Tool fan. I understand that they do have intelligent messages through their music, but it doesn't mean I "have" to like them. If the sound a band makes doesn't engage the listener, they're not going to find the messages because they don't want to listen to the band repeatedly to find them.

Does that make sense?

I believe in all seriousness that it's better to get what you want out of music, not what someone else says, but that's why it's NOT about messages, it's just...that intangible I suppose. I'll admit it's hard to prove really, but the best analogy I can give is what I said before.

People can find space and time amazing, but not have what it takes to have an in-depth discussion or understanding of it. The same applies to music.

-AC

tabby999
Glad you didn't see it as an attack, never intended it that way.

And thats a very consise answer to my question. Cheers.

Bardock42
My bad. Attacking was certainly not the right word.

tabby999
S'all good.

WrathfulDwarf

It's just the way certain people express opinions on certain bands. People saying bands like Radiohead, Tool and Fantomas are just bands with nothing there to "get", are people who do not understand those bands.

-AC

Then tell us what is there to understand? I don't connect with the works from Tool. Do I need to know something profund and deep to enjoy their music? Cuz I don't connect...

Victor Von Doom
Your question 'what is there to understand?' is the problem. There isn't a musical Rosetta Stone to allow you to 'get' certain songs. It's like saying 'what's so good about caviar? I don't get it- it doesn't taste that nice.' Then others are eating it, and loving the taste. They can't tell you how to like it. You might acquire the taste, or you might never like it.

The only difference with 'understanding' music is that there is measurable content that adheres to musical rules about complexity. You don't have to like it because you understand it, but there is something to understand.

I think the main problem here, though, is terminology.

People aren't clear whether they mean musical understanding, or an actual, tangible message.

There is much more going on in a Tool song than a Backstreet Boys song- musically. It's not a special hidden knowledge, like some kind of treatise; but, it does require a more complex understanding of music itself. This understanding can be implicit, and can be felt on a purely abstract level- in fact it generally is. The most obvious example of this is when someone says 'that song is just noise' when it's clearly not- it has distinct melodies, harmonies, structure, motifs, and so on. That's a lack of attention.

You can listen to Tool 50 times, and still get that 'oh yeah!' moment. The Backstreet Boys have the amazing quality of being understood even before the song starts.

Think of different style of comedy.

The Backstreet Boys:

MJr9ekTf0xc

Tool:

ltT9dMGiFjI

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Then tell us what is there to understand? I don't connect with the works from Tool. Do I need to know something profund and deep to enjoy their music? Cuz I don't connect...

As above, you proved my point.

If you don't get it, you won't ever get it. You don't need to get it in ways others do to enjoy their music, but that does not mean there is nothing there you are not getting.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
As above, you proved my point.

If you don't get it, you won't ever get it. You don't need to get it in ways others do to enjoy their music, but that does not mean there is nothing there you are not getting.

-AC

So is practically like Jazz, Classical, Blues or other instrumental music. When not acquainted with the music you won't like it at first. But as you progress in listening to it you eventually either find a connection or you simply don't care for it.

So as I understand your last sentence there is nothing there I will eventually find. Or better yet...why bother to baffle myself...just enjoy it or not enjoy it.

Interesting....

Alpha Centauri
See my replies to Tabby.

-AC

chillmeistergen
I believe the whole idea is to like whatever you like, but do not expect to be able to claim that Boyzone are musically better than Hendrix and get away with it, without being challenged.

Alpha Centauri
Not really.

It's all really in my posts to Tabby, and VVDs long post.

-AC

chillmeistergen
I've read them.

WrathfulDwarf
The emperor has no clothes....(don't mind me I'm just browsing)

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
The emperor has no clothes....(don't mind me I'm just browsing)

Zoom (You).

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
Zoom (You).

-AC

That's nice....(continues to browse)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.