Why is Naruto so popular?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yungz22
Animizzle will become famous soon enough

I have intensively been watching Anime for quite some years now.
I'v seen shit and I'v seen stuff that moved me alot(im an insenstive cock so that's quite something)
Then right out of the blue comes the story about a little ninja boy and his little friends who can spit fire and the world is hooked.

WHY? why in the hell are we enjoying Naruto so much? What does Naruto have that makes us watch it over and over again and discus countless trivial subjects?

For the hell of it?
I guess not, just downright genuine interest in this thing. Most of the forum users are over 16 is my guess..The anime is about 12 year olds. Can we identify ourselves with them? I once read this article that the majority of Anime/Manga fans enjoy it somuch because they see themselves in her/his favorite character in some way.

Im 20...how COULD I indentify myself with Naruto..But the strange thing is, when it comes to Naruto we tend to throw our maturity to the side for a minute and talk about these things..During my social life I would never dare to speak such matters, then why is is just with Naruto that my interest is aroused to the point to actually participate in debates as these?

The Ninja genre is overall accepted as "cool" that's one point for sure..
And as all anime's they do shit we could never do, like summoning a 50 feet talking frog. The fact that everything is possible always hit's a right note in my brain..
Or maybe Naruto just has a perfect mix of immature style/action/drama/humor
that's absent in other anime's.

Enough with my story, spit your thoughts, what's the true reason Naruto appeals so much to you?

chickenlover98
Originally posted by yungz22
Animizzle will become famous soon enough

I have intensively been watching Anime for quite some years now.
I'v seen shit and I'v seen stuff that moved me alot(im an insenstive cock so that's quite something)
Then right out of the blue comes the story about a little ninja boy and his little friends who can spit fire and the world is hooked.

WHY? why in the hell are we enjoying Naruto so much? What does Naruto have that makes us watch it over and over again and discus countless trivial subjects?

For the hell of it?
I guess not, just downright genuine interest in this thing. Most of the forum users are over 16 is my guess..The anime is about 12 year olds. Can we identify ourselves with them? I once read this article that the majority of Anime/Manga fans enjoy it somuch because they see themselves in her/his favorite character in some way.

Im 20...how COULD I indentify myself with Naruto..But the strange thing is, when it comes to Naruto we tend to throw our maturity to the side for a minute and talk about these things..During my social life I would never dare to speak such matters, then why is is just with Naruto that my interest is aroused to the point to actually participate in debates as these?

The Ninja genre is overall accepted as "cool" that's one point for sure..
And as all anime's they do shit we could never do, like summoning a 50 feet talking frog. The fact that everything is possible always hit's a right note in my brain..
Or maybe Naruto just has a perfect mix of immature style/action/drama/humor
that's absent in other anime's.

Enough with my story, spit your thoughts, what's the true reason Naruto appeals so much to you?

dont rationalize anime you'll be quickly destroyed. laughing

Blax_Hydralisk
My question is, why is the thread starter now able to type with perfect grammar and sentence structure, but is unable to do so in most of his other posts?

Symmetric Chaos
It's fun. If you can get though the angst (in 12 year olds wtf man?) the action and humor nicely balanced. Because it has a large number of archetypal characters almost everyone can find someone almost exactly like him/herself.

Bildungsroman (or as my mother once put it "omg teenagers"wink is a popular style because everybody has developed over the course of their lives. Not to mention it gives a built in plot line that can be taken into half a dozen different directions (which Naruto does quite nicely IMO).

Blax_Hydralisk
What is that thing in your signature?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
What is that thing in your signature?

A Beholder.

Kento
I have no clue as to why I'm hooked on it. I think there is some kind of subliminal messaging or something going on because Naruto is about the only series I can watch more than just a couple of times. I've seen the Japanese version twice, and still watch the american one, and read the manga. It's got humor while also having it's serious moments. Then it also has the guys you like to hate, the guys you think are cool, and the people you find funny yet annoying at the same time. Then there is the Gaara/Naruto thing where you see how they grow up to be completely different yet there life was almost the same. I also like the fact that the strongest in the show isn't the main character, and the main character isn't the one to always win. He has his moments to shine sure but it also has other people it shows winning against some of the major villains.

Blax_Hydralisk
Ah.. kay. The caption beneath your signature makes a whole lot more sense now.

chickenlover98
Originally posted by Kento
I have no clue as to why I'm hooked on it. I think there is some kind of subliminal messaging or something going on because Naruto is about the only series I can watch more than just a couple of times. I've seen the Japanese version twice, and still watch the american one, and read the manga. It's got humor while also having it's serious moments. Then it also has the guys you like to hate, the guys you think are cool, and the people you find funny yet annoying at the same time. Then there is the Gaara/Naruto thing where you see how they grow up to be completely different yet there life was almost the same. I also like the fact that the strongest in the show isn't the main character, and the main character isn't the one to always win. He has his moments to shine sure but it also has other people it shows winning against some of the major villains.

dude bleach and DBZ are way better shows and have some or most the stuff u decribed. i watched the entire dbz series(276 episodes) about 6 times, and some of the movies twice or 3 times, and right now im downloading the enitre series to my computer(can you say yay 3 weeks of downloading to go?) bleach is a GREAT show and is way more enticing than naruto.

if you want character drama great fights and good subplots its called yu yu hakusho. i put that show in my 2nd place behind dbz. it pwns. naruto hard.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by chickenlover98
i watched the entire dbz series(276 episodes) about 6 times, and some of the movies twice or 3 times, and right now im downloading the enitre series to my computer(can you say yay 3 weeks of downloading to go?)

*gets his Five-seveN and goes to hunt down chickenlover*

chickenlover98
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
*gets his Five-seveN and goes to hunt down chickenlover* big grin ya cant be hatin on dbz, its a classic an AWESOME SHOW, and has the best or damn close to the best fight scenes

Kento
dude bleach and DBZ are way better shows and have some or most the stuff u decribed. i watched the entire dbz series(276 episodes) about 6 times, and some of the movies twice or 3 times, and right now im downloading the enitre series to my computer(can you say yay 3 weeks of downloading to go?) bleach is a GREAT show and is way more enticing than naruto.

if you want character drama great fights and good subplots its called yu yu hakusho. i put that show in my 2nd place behind dbz. it pwns. naruto hard. I'm not a big fan of DBZ. It's all spamming ki blasts, and the person with the biggest ki wins, and not really any martial arts. I've watched all of Z plenty of times when I was younger, and a big fan of it. Then I watched other anime and realized...compared to them DBZ sucks, and Naruto is one of them. Dragonball Z has very little like Naruto. Yu Yu Hakusho..watched the whole series straight through once because my g/f has it and I can't watch it again. It didn't have the appeal to me. Yusuke, and Raizen were the only real people to appeal to me. Maybe because YYH reminds me sort of Flame of Recca but I find FOR a lot more entertaining, and I like a lot more characters. Bleach..it's okay but it's not one of the manga I really try to keep up with. Naruto isn't really on top of my list either but it's close enough and keeps me entertained enough to want more. Plus there are plenty of people I like, and even the people I don't like (ie Sasuke, and Itachi for the moment) I want to see how the battle plays out against them. And in DB..somebody dies..it's not a big deal while Sarutobi dying was and it's one of the few times I felt bad about a character dying. Sure in DBZ I like a few characters though Tien is really the only canon one I like. Broli and Bardock being my top 2 and Tien 3rd.

Symmetric Chaos
big grin ya cant be hatin on dbz, its a classic an AWESOME SHOW, and has the best or damn close to the best fight scenes

It has some great fight scenes (even I'll admit that) but lack of interesting powers seriously detracts from how interesting a fight scene can be. Scale of a fight isn't everything, there's an incredible fight in Haruhi where the only thing that gets damages is a few desks but it's done well enough to blow most of DBZ out of the water.

chickenlover98
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
It has some great fight scenes (even I'll admit that) but lack of interesting powers seriously detracts from how interesting a fight scene can be. Scale of a fight isn't everything, there's an incredible fight in Haruhi where the only thing that gets damages is a few desks but it's done well enough to blow most of DBZ out of the water.

i thought the powers were awesome. i never said scale had to matter, YYH had some AWESOME fights the werent as big as did bleach. so did RRK. DBZ just happens to be my fav because its.....awesome

Blax_Hydralisk

if you want character drama great fights and good subplots its called yu yu hakusho. i put that show in my 2nd place behind dbz. it pwns. naruto hard.

yes.. because this is all fact.

Oh wait it's not.

Naruto pwnz DBZ. And my opinion is blacker then yours.

Kero_Co
Why? Because people need something to read while Togashi is off ******* himself.

TricksterPriest
As far as fight scenes go, Ranma 1/2, Fist of the North Star, and Samurai Champloo, all blow DBZ out of the water.

Kento
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
As far as fight scenes go, Ranma 1/2, Fist of the North Star, and Samurai Champloo, all blow DBZ out of the water. That would be true...If it wasn't all a matter of opinion.

Rajendra
Naruto made known for beong jolly,funny and for his ability to stretch out his hands.

Accel
Naruto was great up until the time-skip; now it just sucks. The main characters hardly progressed at all in terms of development (with the exceptions of Sakura and Shikamaru), the secondary characters outside of Team Kaskashi hardly have any more screen time, and the author seems to be taking tips from One Piece and taking his damn sweet time with the plot.

As for Dragonball (which is inevitably brought up in every single topic it seems), the problem there is that people seem to keep remembering it for it's last couple of seasons, which weren't that great either. If you want fun fight scenes from that series that don't revolve around energy beams, just look back to the first half of the series when Goku was a kid. That portion had a good deal of fights that involved as much MA skill as they did powers and they had some fair amount of humor in them as well.

Akuma Killer
dude bleach and DBZ are way better shows Aint that the truth, peeps sleep on Bleach, yo.

Hidden Lotus
idk why i like it so much
maybe because i know i can count on it to come on weekly (2 episodes a week now stick out tongue) and the fact that every character has a background and a special ability to their own. that their decisions have something to do with their backgrounds etc. etc.

oh yeah, and there's rock lee's Hidden Lotus ftw 313

Akuma Killer
Originally posted by My self
Aint that the truth, peeps sleep on Bleach, yo. naruto is still damn good though.

i like it cuz the story is deep and pulls you in. And some how, unlike most animes wit ALOT of characters, the characters are still unique and cool, there is somethin to like bout them all. I also like how peeps was doubtin naruto and didn't think he was all that good but he basically turns out to be one of the best.

I always diged the underdogs...most of the time.

wade217
i think naruto is a way for people to go back and grow up in their fantasy world. most ppl dont realize it, but they really like to have causes in their life. in naruto world, everything is done because theyre on a mission. or because it is their goal.

wade217
Originally posted by wade217
i think naruto is a way for people to go back and grow up in their fantasy world. most ppl dont realize it, but they really like to have causes in their life. in naruto world, everything is done because theyre on a mission. or because it is their goal.
naruto wants to be hokage. naruto wants to be recognized by everyone. naruto wants to save his friends. sasuke wants to avenge his family. the ninja want to protect the village or their friends, and so on and so on. in naruto, all the goal that ppl have effect everything they do. in real life, nobody is really like that. we dont go for our goals. its like we just expect them to happen. a lot of ppl dont even have a goal or a purpose. they dont know what they want to do with theyre life. in real life, ppl spend all day trying to entertain themselves, but in narutoworld ppl are sent on missions and have to fight for theyre lives and for the lives of others and for their cause. ppl need that. and for ppl who dont live in a place where there is war or civil rights movements or some cause to fight for...ppl just get into stories like naruto.

chithappens
bleach is a GREAT show and is way more enticing than naruto.

WTF r u talking about? Bleach is just repeating the same arc with a different girl

Black Adam
Originally posted by chithappens
WTF r u talking about? Bleach is just repeating the same arc with a different girl

yeah.

I've never really seen the fights as anything special either...pretty boring at times.

Blax_Hydralisk
Bleach''s fights are boring as hell.

EvilAngel
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Bleach''s fights are boring as hell.

Agreed

As well as the pitiful esparda, makes Bleach loose some points in my book.

chithappens
Bleach was ok at first but at least they train in Naruto. Everyone in Bleach is getting sudden power boosts without showing us how it happened.

The captins are the main ones I'm talking about. Takes them centuries to master bankai but then you upgrade to a new level in less than a year... damn, just make up a plot device but don't make it so sudden

Classic NES

Yeah, the current arc is pretty blah. Bleach emphasizes way too much on theatrics/style rather than actual substance. The only reasons why I still read it is because the supporting cast is so good.

The Ichigo is the main one I'm talking about. Takes them centuries to master bankai but then you upgrade to a new level in less than a year... damn, just make up a plot device but don't make it so sudden
Fixed it for ya.

leonheartmm
narutoooooo!!!!!!!!! touching story, awesome characters, great fights, good pacing, lotsa humour, wonderful music, pretty creative techniques, some of the best villians you cud ask for, touching , leads your emotions, whats NOT to like?!

ofcourse, i AM mostly referring to pre shippuden non fillers{even though shippuden isnt really as bad as people make it out to be}, and youl DEFINATELY only enjoy it in subtitles with original jap audia{english just plain sucks}.

it simply stands as one of the best series ever. atleast as far as shounen goes. its easily in the same category as dragon ball, yu yu hakusho, rurourni kenshin, inuyasha etc. outclassing bleach and onepiece{onepiece is awesome as a manga, but not really good as an anime} currently. the only other shounen type series i watch is tejou tenge these days. even d grayman isnt really on par, and unfortunately, they didnt follow up fullmetal alchemist fully wiht the manga, otherwise that mightv trumped naruto fandom.

leonheartmm
and yea. bleach manga pretty much sucks right now, they scrwed up the story in the hueco mundo arc. also, bleach has very little back story and character development, plus everything is just a little too random with no underlying theme. any1 who says bleach is better than naruto is mostly a fanboy or sum1 who compulsively hates popular series, considerin them too mainstream and below them.

Classic NES
Originally posted by leonheartmm
any1 who says bleach is better than naruto is mostly a fanboy or sum1 who compulsively hates popular series, considerin them too mainstream and below them.

What a fair and non-bias assessment! http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3817/kruemelmonsteryn0.gif

leonheartmm
^UNbiased stick out tongue . but its mostly true, people who hate naruto generally hate it just for the sake of hating. just like people who hate harry potter.

Blax_Hydralisk
It's called "hating the mainstream". It's ccool to do so.

The more people love it, the more the cool kids go out of there way over-analyze it.

Akuma Killer
any1 who says bleach is better than naruto is mostly a fanboy or sum1 who compulsively hates popular series, considerin them too mainstream and below them. sad

I think Bleach is better.

Black Adam
^UNbiased stick out tongue . but its mostly true, people who hate naruto generally hate it just for the sake of hating. just like people who hate harry potter.

I actually really liked naruto up until the Kishimoto fan wank grew to much. The fact that I've never really liked sasuke doesn't help either.

I still pick it up and read it every three weeks or so but I'm not just as excited with the series as I once was.

Kero_Co
I can agree to this. I'm married to hunter, but I sleep with Naruto every now and then. It's just really sucks when I wake up to sasuke in the morning, and happens far too often. Bleach is that hot chick who has a crush on me, but has nothing to offer that will push me away from the other two and start a longterm relationship.

Classic NES
Originally posted by Black Adam
I actually really liked naruto up until the Kishimoto fan wank grew to much. The fact that I've never really liked sasuke doesn't help either.

I still pick it up and read it every three weeks or so but I'm not just as excited with the series as I once was.

Me too, most people I know stopped reading Naruto for the same reasons. I try to pick it up sometimes, but it's definetly not what it used to be.

grey fox
Originally posted by Classic NES
Yeah, the current arc is pretty blah. Bleach emphasizes way too much on theatrics/style rather than actual substance. The only reasons why I still read it is because the supporting cast is so good.

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/f/fc/Bleachplot.jpg

Rajendra
because he has the most powerful Shakra.lol!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.