Marvel: 1602

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StylishSmurph
Marvel: 1602. A series by Neil Gaiman, written back somewhere between 2001-2004, I think.

Essentially It's the Marvel Universe (or, elements of it), written back as if they took place back in the year 1602.

We get to see medieval Daredevil, Doc Doom, Nick Fury, Dr. Strange ... etc.

I really liked it, all in all. I like some of Gaiman's twists to the characters and storylines, but also the somewhat silver-age feel of it all. It's good stuff, IMO.

Opinions, critiques, etc.?

Oh, and yes this is Gaiman's work, but no this isn't Sandman. Which is the intentional affect, so I wouldn't suggest buying it because that's what you're expecting.

xmarksthespot
I read it a while back. Liked it enough. Apparently it sold really well.

llagrok
Iceman kicked ass in it.

grey fox
T'was awesome.

Juntai
I read this, it was very good.

Neo Darkhalen
Were any Spider-man foes in it?

grey fox
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Were any Spider-man foes in it?

Vulture.

LORD B
Nicholas fury was good in it imo

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by Juntai
I read this, it was very good.

roughrider
Excellent read. Well illustrated by Andy Kubert & Richard Isanove. One of my favourite twists involved the secret about the keeper of the sacred weapon (Donal), and what that actually was.

Blair Wind
Originally posted by llagrok
Iceman kicked ass in it.

What happened?

llagrok
Originally posted by Blair Wind
What happened?

He just came off as very powerful.

He never fought anyone though.

Disappear
just below earth x in the "reimagining the marvel universe" genre. a very good, solid read with interesting history and plot points and so on. the art was stylish without being too comic-y, or not comic-y enough.

good shit.

StylishSmurph
Originally posted by roughrider
Excellent read. Well illustrated by Andy Kubert & Richard Isanove. One of my favourite twists involved the secret about the keeper of the sacred weapon (Donal), and what that actually was. I liked the one about Rojhaz. But I should have seen it coming. ermmfrown

grey fox
Originally posted by StylishSmurph
I liked the one about Rojhaz. But I should have seen it coming. ermmfrown

I REALLY liked Rojhaz Native American version of the Captain America suit/cowl.

It looked really badass.

StylishSmurph
Originally posted by grey fox
I REALLY liked Rojhaz Native American version of the Captain America suit/cowl.

It looked really badass. thumb up

I also just realized the reference behind Rojhaz taking out the assassin with a circular dinner tray. Shield throw, much?

grey fox
Originally posted by StylishSmurph
thumb up

I also just realized the reference behind Rojhaz taking out the assassin with a circular dinner tray. Shield throw, much?

Yup, got it the first time though.

Also I like the vague Gwen references given off by Virginia.

roughrider
Originally posted by grey fox
Yup, got it the first time though.

Also I like the vague Gwen references given off by Virginia.
Never even thought of that! You're right. Getting friendly with Peter by the end, too...

StylishSmurph
Well, Virgina technically isn't based off of a character, though I did notice the Gwen bits.

grey fox
Virgina/Peter Parquah is my 1602 OTP

I also found some intresting 1602 Wolverine fanart....

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs20/i/2007/292/7/1/Samurai_Wolverine_1624_by_Ares23.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.