Which company make the best comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Astner
Dark Hore, DC, Image, Marvel, Vertigo the list is long, which do you overall think relases the best comics?

Artwork:
Coloring:
Depth:
Phrasing and formulating, the way the story is told:
Plot:
- If points can be added, do not hesitate to do so.

My list

Artwork: Marvel
Coloring: Marvel/DC
Vocabulary: Vertigo
Plot: Vertigo

I don't actually like the way Marvel characters are drawn, but the surrounding enviorment is nothing short of astonishing.
I also like the coloring in Marvel, though it's pretty similar DC's.
I haven't read many graphic novels, but those I have are under the Vertigo imprint. The vocabulary is by far superior to what's used in comics.
The plot is also a lot deeper, often being a metaphor or an interpretion of reality.

DigiMark007
This isn't serious, right?

stick out tongue

...writers, artists, inkers, editors, etc. change all the time for all companies. Usually most popular writers and artists have worked for multiple companies.

So isn't it a bit too subjective to really form a coherent opinion on?

grey fox
Originally posted by Astner

Two Words -

Alex Ross

DigiMark007
Originally posted by grey fox
Two Words -

Alex Ross

...which makes my point. He's work for Marvel, DC, and likely independently as well. At best we can boil it down to a few of our favorite writers/artists and hope they've worked for one company more than others (or work for them currently).

And yeah, Ross is the sh*t, both as an artist and a storyteller.

Lil Buddy
There isn't a better company that makes better comics

Erik-Lensherr
Originally posted by DigiMark007
This isn't serious, right?

stick out tongue

...writers, artists, inkers, editors, etc. change all the time for all companies. Usually most popular writers and artists have worked for multiple companies.

So isn't it a bit too subjective to really form a coherent opinion on?

Symmetric Chaos
DDC is the best

DDC Official Site

innocent

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
DDC is the best

DDC Official Site

innocent

Well, the artwork is fine but the writing sucks balls.

Entity
Well most all serious comic companies have their moments but for me in the over all general its always been Marvel for their more realistic characters.

Their characters are to me not these larger than life icons but rather for the most part normal people with powers. Some are heroic, some are not, some aren't even sure themselves what they are but that's whats great about it. In real life you could never have these perfect people, let alone ones with immense power.

I prefer stories of a guy just trying to help and be responsible that gets nothing but crap for it or someone just trying to make up for their own mistakes or past sins. Or a someone with everything we all could want that ends up becoming a drunk and having to find the will to overcome. Or a god among men with so much power he is driven insane just trying to cope with it.

Stories with characters like that facing realistic things is much more interesting to me than ones about people with unlimited or near unlimited abilities acting like they've got problems when really they don't or it turns out to be something easily overcome. Or giving no reasonable explanion for things that shouldn't work saving the day or constantly being accepted as normal.

DC is starting to get better about this with things like Identity Crisis and allot of the Batman stuff that's always been great. Just as it seems Marvel keeps getting worse form time to time but I'll stick with my original for now until I've lost all faith or been completely stunned by something I never thought I'd see.

Now I know that now nearly all comics have this in them but Marvel's the one that started it and their characters when written right are still the best at it. IMO Because its what they were made for.

Neo Darkhalen
Dark Hore, DC, Image, Marvel, Vertigo the list is long, which do you overall think relases the best comics?

Artwork:
Coloring:
Depth:
Plot:

My list

I don't actually like the way Marvel characters are drawn, but the surrounding enviorment is nothing short of astonishing.
I haven't read many graphic novels, but those I have are under the Vertigo imprint. The vocabulary is by far superior to what's used in comics.
The plot is also a lot deeper, often being a metaphor or an interpretion of reality.

Marvel for all of them in the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's, now any Marvel comic does not have a scrap of decency to there titles.

Citizen V
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
now any Marvel comic does not have a scrap of decency to there titles.

You're so wrong. erm

Starting to make a habit of it.

Rorschach
Originally posted by Citizen V
You're so wrong. erm

He doesn't read comics anymore, so the guy has no idea about great Marvel comics like Annihilation and The Immortal Iron Fist.

I wouldn't be surprised if told me he hadn't read any title published by Vertigo.

shifty

WrathfulDwarf

Artwork:
Coloring:
Depth:
Plot:

My list

DC Comics and Dark Horse.

batdude123
Two Words -

Alex Ross

Plus Ivan Reis, Ed Benes, and Ethan van Sciver.

HueyFreeman
Depends on what I'm in the mood for. Right now in DC, I don't really care about final crisis, maybe towards the end of countdown I will but the series has been dissapointing to the point where I don't care anymore. SCW was great so green lantern is about the only thing in DC I am reading now,( well that and Simon Dark). In marvel Messiah Complex has my attention, Annihilation, and secret invasion has me interested. For the most part the skrulls have been little more than a nuisance to MU. Besides SS they are not very powerful, their whole strategy relies on numbers and mimicking their enemies. Hopefully this saga will cast them in a more threatening light.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Citizen V
You're so wrong. erm

I can have any darn opinion I want, and your not going to make me think any different, just because you like these new comics which fail IMO, does not mean I have to, go learn some manners and respect.

Citizen V
I can have any darn opinion I want, and your not going to make me think any different, just because you like these new comics which fail IMO, does not mean I have to, go learn some manners and respect.

laughing out loud

Atleast I read them before I decide they "fail".

Did I say it wasn't your opinion? No, but that doesn't make it any less wrong.

Neo Darkhalen
I am having such a bad day, it's unbelievable, scratch that from the record, my opinion still remains, I have read many of the new tales and IMHO they fail.

roughrider
When it comes to universes populated with superheroes, Marvel & DC are the only two I care to read about. They're the two solitudes, two sides of the same coin. I read other companies like Dark Horse for non-superhero stuff.

llagrok
I am having such a bad day, it's unbelievable, scratch that from the record, my opinion still remains, I have read many of the new tales and IMHO they fail.

You seriously think that Immortal Iron Fist fails?

endrict
It all depends on what I like. I got a few issues from Wildstorm, DC and Marvel as regulars right now. I will flick through a few issues at the store and if I like it I will pick it up as a regular, then once it starts sucking....I will drop it.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by llagrok
You seriously think that Immortal Iron Fist fails?

Never read that, I should be more specific, I meant the Spider-Man comics fail now.

Laminator_X
Archangel Studios!

I just wish they could get The Red Star out the door more than twice a year.

Mr. Slippyfist
Dark Hore Erm...

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by roughrider
When it comes to universes populated with superheroes, Marvel & DC are the only two I care to read about. They're the two solitudes, two sides of the same coin. I read other companies like Dark Horse for non-superhero stuff.

More like the same side of two coins actually.

willRules
Originally posted by batdude123
Plus Ivan Reis, Ed Benes, and Ethan van Sciver.

Jim Lee, Jae Lee, The Dodsons, Micheal Turner, John Cassidy, Frank Quietly Etc etc......

Kazenji
Originally posted by roughrider
. I read other companies like Dark Horse for non-superhero stuff.

Well dark horse also has superhero stuff too, Have you heard of hellboy ?

tjcoady
Originally posted by Kazenji

Hellboy and BPRD have more in common with the horror genre than the superhero genre. But there is definitely an extent of the superhero stuff in it.

Martian_mind
Meh,Angel:After the Fall is shaping up nicely for IDW.

roughrider
Originally posted by Kazenji
Of course. I just mean any company that tries to set a universe that spans several different titles, I'm not that interested in. Never got into Image Comics, and never got into the Wildstorm Universe; though that now is just a pocket dimension at DC. And never got into Valiant Comics back in the 90's.
I should've read Wildstorm just for The Authority, though like the Squadron Supreme they're really JLA anlogues.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Mr. Slippyfist
Erm... It's a BS Comics imprint... ermmhappy

Darth Martin
I actually prefer Dc more because of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman but Marvel has the best street levelers.

Doctor-Alvis
Two Words -

Alex Ross
I don't like Alex Ross' comic stuff. I mean, it's all well done, but it always looks like the same person dressed up in different costumes. Black Canary shouldn't look like Captain Marvel in drag.

Capt Spaulding
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
Black Canary shouldn't look like Captain Marvel in drag.
laughing laughing laughing

Val
Have to agree there. I've always said Alex Ross drew some pretty ugly women.

roughrider
Originally posted by Val
Have to agree there. I've always said Alex Ross drew some pretty ugly women.

Geez, he does one character sub-par and he's labeled. He does a pretty good Wonder Woman, and his Gwen Stacy was exquisite.
I thought one weakness he may have, is that his does mask-less characters better. That's why his Batman & Flash don't look as good to me. With his ultra-real style, the mask sits too heavily on their faces.

Astner
Originally posted by Mr. Slippyfist
Erm...
Shit, I actually wrote that ... Thought you edited at first.

But Alex Ross' art it seems to be massively photoshoped.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.