Heath Ledger Passed Away

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Outbound
Heath Ledger found dead - NY Police

Australia actor Heath Ledger has been found dead at a downtown Manhattan residence, a New York Police Department spokesman says.

More to come

Holy ****ing shit...

nevermind, thread in GDF, thought it would be more relevant here mmm

sindahouse
Yeh I just heard man. This morning, aussie time. That sux man. I like him as an actor.

Health R.I.P

P.S - I hope this is just a rumour

Blax_Hydralisk
It's not.

roughrider
What the f**k? What the f**k? What the f**k? What the f**k?

Darth Martin
What the f**k? What the f**k? What the f**k? What the f**k? What the f**k? sad

they have finished the movie right? this is most displeasing and sad.

Blax_Hydralisk
Whats the "wtf" smileys for?

sindahouse
damn, i actually liked heathy as an actor. this is a black day man. he's left behind a two year old daughter. sad

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Whats the "wtf" smileys for? Umm......self-explanatory. sick

Blax_Hydralisk
No.. no it's not.

JediSamuraiMRB
Talented actor.

roughrider
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Whats the "wtf" smileys for?

That's just how shocked I feel.

SelinaAndBruce
I am stunned. A guy at work just told me this. I am in complete disbelief. WTF?! That's two deaths in the cast now isn't it? Geez man this really shook me up

IheartPocky
crybaby I'm so upset..

@st
Wow, this is unbelievable. sad

sindahouse
This Batman movie has cost two lives so far. No matter how it turns out, I will always respect it...

I just can't believe Heathy is dead. Im in total disbelief.

SelinaAndBruce
He died in Mary Kate Olsen's Apartment in New York...WTF?!?

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
I am stunned. A guy at work just told me this. I am in complete disbelief. WTF?! That's two deaths in the cast now isn't it? Geez man this really shook me up

This really sucks. sick

Who was the other death in the cast?

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
This really sucks. sick

Who was the other death in the cast?
A stunt man died this past summer working on the movie.

King_Mungi
Wow...this is shocking

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22788914/?GT1=10755

Neo Darkhalen
Yes it is true, what a shame, he was so young as well, my god...sad

Superherovandal
I know i might be sounding tactless but what does this mean for the joker then? I mean will he be dead for the next movie??? When I first saw this on aol i thought it was some sick joke.

SelinaAndBruce
I was wondering the same thing. Either they'll have to leave him out of the inevitable third movie or they'll have to recast. On another tactless note I think this will probably be even more likely to be the biggest Batman ever since this is going to be his last performance.

Impediment
Although I agree that he was a decent actor, I give less than a damn that he is dead. Stay away from drugs, and this shit wont happen.

Roy79
I'm shocked......R.I.P. Heath.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Impediment
Although I agree that he was a decent actor, I give less than a damn that he is dead. Stay away from drugs, and this shit wont happen.
It sucks when anyone dies for any reason. It's just a reminder of how short life is and how fragile the human existence is. While I can see part of your point I still think it is sad when someone loses their life that way.

Roy79

Go **** yourself, you ****ing idiot!

YOu don't know anything about the situation. Did you ever hear of people commiting suicide because they can't deal with life, suicide in the form of an O.D.? YOu shouldn't judge so fast you ****ing imbecil!!!

Mr Shindiggery
Originally posted by Mr Shindiggery
EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE ONLY SEEN ABOUT 7 MINS WORTH OF FOOTAGE OF YOUR JOKER I AM SURE YOU HAVE DELIVERED A STUNNING PERFORMANCE AND YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE A PLACE IN THIS BATMAN FAN`S HEART- RIP HEATH LEDGER AKA MR J

http://www.dogmaticblog.com/images/movies/batman_01.jpg

http://juannavarro.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/darkknight14.jpg

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0705/31/darkknight2.jpg

http://superman1224.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/darkknight.jpg

cowboy
Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday at a downtown Manhattan apartment, and police said drugs may have been a factor. The Australian-born actor was 28.
ADVERTISEMENT

Police said Ledger was naked in his bed with an unknown number of sleeping pills near the body.

Wow does anyone know if this is going to affect the production of the new Batman movie

Lil Buddy
Originally posted by Roy79

YOu don't know anything about the situation. Did you ever hear of people commiting suicide because they can't deal with life, suicide in the form of an O.D.? YOu shouldn't judge so fast you ****ing imbecil!!! Reported.

I don't care either? Gonna insult me?

Galan007
Just heard this myself.

Unbelievable.

JediSamuraiMRB

Impediment

YOu don't know anything about the situation. Did you ever hear of people commiting suicide because they can't deal with life, suicide in the form of an O.D.? YOu shouldn't judge so fast you ****ing imbecil!!!

So I'm not allowed to have an opinion? Okay.

By the way, you've been warned for vulgarity and insulting a moderator.

Il.Mozalini
Originally posted by Lil Buddy
Reported.

I don't care either? Gonna insult me?

How about this: Shut the **** up. Have a ****ing teaspoon of respect and STAY THE **** OUT OF THE THREAD IF YOU DON'T CARE.

Idiots aside, I'm shocked and just angry that this happened...I don't know else to say.

Disappear
the movie's wrapped. whether it will affect the release, like aaliyah's death and queen of the damned nobody really knows as of yet.

exanda kane

Out of curious, who was the other (not to bring anything away from what is genuinely a tragedy) person?

Ushgarak
Roy79, post like that again and you will be banned, be sure of it.

You calm down too, Mozalini.

exanda kane

The shame is that they kill talented people instead of those starved at their keyboards like you sir.

Bat Dude
R.I.P. Heath Ledger

And you know the strangest thing? People compared the look of his Joker to that of Brandon Lee's Eric Draven/Crow... We all know that was Brandon Lee's last role... Little did we know, that this would be Ledger's last role...

These things are always sad. So young, too... It's a real shame...

SnakeEyes
I have a feeling that when The Dark Knight comes out, Heath's death will be in the back of my mind the whole time.

Val
Probably won't affect DK. If Joker was supposed to be in the third movie, I don't know what they'll do. Finding someone to replace Ledger isn't the same as finding someone to replace Katie Holmes.

Impediment
Originally posted by exanda kane
The shame is that they kill talented people instead of those starved at their keyboards like you sir.

I'm entitled to have my own opinions, especially since my opinions were mild and well said.

You, however, are not entitled to insult me like that despite your feelings on this matter. You have been warned.

FistOfThe North
Oh My Fcuking God!

Like Oh My Fcking God In Heaven!

No!

Grimm22
Is it wrong that the first thought I had when heard about Ledger's death was how it was going to affect The Dark Knight erm

FistOfThe North
i apologize for the curses ^

I just can't believe he's dead! Daaaaaamn..

wow!

Val
Originally posted by Grimm22
Is it wrong that the first thought I had when heard about Ledger's death was how it was going to affect The Dark Knight erm
Only if you knew him personally.

Superherovandal
Not really I mean its his damn fault if he tried to commit suicide or did the drugs.

exanda kane
I'm entitled to have my own opinions, especially since my opinions were mild and well said.

You, however, are not entitled to insult me like that despite your feelings on this matter. You have been warned.

A better soundbite would have been "You're fired." Unfortunately for us listeners, we simply don't care. In the words of Damon Albarn when the press asked about a certain incident with Graham Coxen's front door, "**** Off."

You're fired.

SelinaAndBruce
Out of curious, who was the other (not to bring anything away from what is genuinely a tragedy) person?
A stunt man died on the set doing a stunt this past summer

Val
6:02
Headline news: His role as the Joker was so troubling and demonic to him that he had trouble sleeping at night.
"physically and mentally draining"
"i took one ambien and it didnt work. i took a second and i fell asleep only to wake up an hour later."
-rough quote from an interview about being the joker

ermmnone

sindahouse
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Roy79, post like that again and you will be banned, be sure of it.

You calm down too, Mozalini.

I can understand ur upset guyz. Just try to control your emotions on the keyboard. I hear what u guyz are saying. I honestly do...

I should mention at this stage that it is too early to suggest that Health killed himself. Wo don't know what happened. Though I don't agree with suicide, and we are all enititled to an opinion, maybe we should get the facts b4 pointing the finger.

Chemically speaking, it could have been an accidental overdose., or 'death by misadventure' as they diagnosed Bruce Lee. Either way, Heaths death will always be a theory, and because it will always remain theory, perhaps we consider what we type......

Galan007
Originally posted by Superherovandal
Not really I mean its his damn fault if he tried to commit suicide or did the drugs. I highly doubt suicide was his original intent.

Capt Spaulding
he wasn't done filming guys, this is going to greatly affect the release of the film.

Ushgarak
A better soundbite would have been "You're fired." Unfortunately for us listeners, we simply don't care. In the words of Damon Albarn when the press asked about a certain incident with Graham Coxen's front door, "**** Off."

You're fired.

Have you gone funny or something, exanda? Impediment's a mod, you know you can get banned for that kind of talk. What's all this about?

Il.Mozalini

Grow up, dude...seriously. Of course you are entitled to your opinions. It would just be nice if you kept them away from this thread. Go ahead and make a "I don't care if Heath died" thread and no one will bother you there. Just please, show some respect.

Roy79
So I'm not allowed to have an opinion? Okay.

By the way, you've been warned for vulgarity and insulting a moderator.

If you are a moderator, then you should be ashamed of yourself. You come in here acting all disrespectfull with your 'I give less than a damn that he's death etc.' when the news is so fresh that nothing is certain at this moment. You're talking about a guy we came to love for his work in a franchise we're all fan of. And if your mod-friends up here had any integrety, they would give you a warning as well.

Since when did mods become larger than life and think that they can say and do what they like, even if that means being desrespectful?

HueyFreeman

YOu don't know anything about the situation. Did you ever hear of people commiting suicide because they can't deal with life, suicide in the form of an O.D.? YOu shouldn't judge so fast you ****ing imbecil!!! I agree with him dude. Though its sad that a life is lost, why should I care if he didn't?

Ushgarak
He's entitled to be disprespectful- not that he actually was, he said he didn't care. He's certainly entitled to that; a thread such as this is not censored for the convenience of a certain group of people. In contrast, your abusive flaming was against the rules. Simple as that.

exanda kane
He also happens to be a silly little git.

It's far to early to condemn any behaviour on the part of Heath Ledger (may I just say, as cliche as it is, a final RIP for the bloke) and even more so for a Moderator, in which case it is tasteless, tactless and simply to fulfill the needs of alliteration, twattish. 'Ave it.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/v/VrEMOUncRNY&rel=1

tlbauerle
*sniff* I smell banning about to happen.

On another note...more along the lines of this news...I wonder if people will shut up about Heath's performance and portrayal of the Joker now that he's gone. Maybe people will be a bit nicer.

What the heck am I saying...I guess most the bickering in this thread is proof that people suck.

Val
Originally posted by Capt Spaulding
he wasn't done filming guys, this is going to greatly affect the release of the film.
Yes he was. He was already doing a new movie.

Ushgarak
Your opinion on him aside, telling a mod to **** off, even outside his section, just for expressing his opinion on something is not in any way acceptable. You must know that.

And I don't know where you would bring this differing standard for mods from. Backfire makes a living from tasteless comments, you know. Why is this different? Because this time it is something you care about? Poor show.

Don't do it again.

Mr.Biscuits
I saw it when I signed on to MSN. I was like "Oh Shit" and closed the window...srug

exanda kane
Your opinion on him aside, telling a mod to **** off, even outside his section, just for expressing his opinion on something is not in any way acceptable. You must know that.

And I don't know where you would bring this differing standard for mods from. Backfire makes a living from tasteless comments, you know. Why is this different? Because this time it is something you care about? Poor show.

Don't do it again.

Backfire makes me laugh and I haven't seen him say something quite as ignorant and backward as what was said earlier. So did Ledger, leave it out of this thread as a sign of respect, Impending-whatever should have done so in both threads where he has shown poor taste.

Bat Dude
Is it just me, or does everyone else think that the Brandon Lee comparisons are getting kinda creepy?

- Similar look for characters portrayed
- Both died during production/post production of a comic book film
- Both were young, up-an-coming actors
- And it may possibly make the movie more popular than it really should have been (The Crow wouldn't have made so much money had Brandon Lee not died, as much as I hate to say it. And the same may happen with TDK)

Just putting that out there... And does everyone have to be going off on each other in an R.I.P. thread? Honestly...

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by Bat Dude
Is it just me, or does everyone else think that the Brandon Lee comparisons are getting kinda creepy?

- Both were young, up-an- coming actors
- And it may possibly make the movie more popular than it really should have been (The Crow wouldn't have made so much money had Brandon Lee not died, as much as I hate to say it. And the same may happen with TDK)

Just putting that out there... And does everyone have to be going off on each other in an R.I.P. thread? Honestly... I noticed that too

Ushgarak
Backfire makes me laugh and I haven't seen him say something quite as ignorant and backward as what was said earlier. So did Ledger, leave it out of this thread as a sign of respect, Impending-whatever should have done so in both threads where he has shown poor taste.

Like I say, that's your opinion, but your opinion does not control the content of this thread and he is entitled to make comment. It so happens quite a few people feel that way, in any case, so you'll just have to live with it. And if the assessment was hasty he can always recant later; it's still no grounds for flaming.

And even when you disagree, you can do it without that blatant flaming which you very possibly should be banned for seeing as you continued after being asked to stop.

Just take some good advice and make that the last time you do it. Regardless of what you think, that's the way it is.

Lil Buddy
Is it wrong that the first thought I had when heard about Ledger's death was how it was going to affect The Dark Knight erm First thing that came to mind and the only thing thats come to mind at all.

FistOfThe North
can we have some respect for the dead here for christ sake and forget all the bickering?

God.

Grimm22
Originally posted by Superherovandal
Not really I mean its his damn fault if he tried to commit suicide or did the drugs.

Usually when people commit suicide they aren't in complete control of themselves. In this case, it seems like Ledger was so depressed he unintentionally overdosed on a medicine.

Grimm22
Originally posted by Val
Only if you knew him personally.

Or in that case, only if you really really really like Batman stick out tongue

Yoshi Paradise
Originally posted by Outbound
Heath Ledger found dead - NY Police

Australia actor Heath Ledger has been found dead at a downtown Manhattan residence, a New York Police Department spokesman says.

Although he isn't one of my favorite actors, I hope he rests in peace.

I'm sure that his family, friends, and fans were deeply upset by his death, but Heath will live on in their hearts for the rest of their lives.

sindahouse
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
can we have some respect for the dead here for christ sake and forget all the bickering?

God.

I second that..

Thank you

sindahouse

- Both were young, up-an-coming actors

Just putting that out there... And does everyone have to be going off on each other in an R.I.P. thread? Honestly...

dude thats the first thing that came to my mind as soon as i was told..

Again R.I.P. Poor Bloke. sad

Lil Buddy
If you are a moderator, then you should be ashamed of yourself. You come in here acting all disrespectfull with your 'I give less than a damn that he's death etc.' when the news is so fresh that nothing is certain at this moment. You're talking about a guy we came to love for his work in a franchise we're all fan of. And if your mod-friends up here had any integrety, they would give you a warning as well.

Since when did mods become larger than life and think that they can say and do what they like, even if that means being desrespectful?

Hes dead.

We don't know him but to get so emotional is a bit childish and your over reacting.

Il.Mozalini

God.

Darth Martin
I think it's safe to say that Ledger's performance in the theatrical trailer was more superior and close to the comics than Jack Nicholson's whole performance in the entire movie.

R.I.P. Heath Ledger AKA The Joker

Micheal_Myers
I'm not really a Ledger fan. As a matter of fact The Dark Knight will be my first film featuring Ledger.

However, this is a forum. I believe Exanda Kane's stand is the right one. He is standing up for a human who lost his life. Being banned is but a minor concern. It's simply a forum as compared to a human life.

His presentation may be over the top and against the rules. I believe he is doing the right thing.

R.I.P Heath Ledger. I'm sure your performance will more than impress me upon the release of The Dark Knight.

The Pict
I just found out myself, unbelievable.

sindahouse
This is sad

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uKa-aDga1fE

Bloody heart breaking

S_D_J
Dear god !
sad

I just watched the news on CNN, Can't believe it!

I liked him as an actor, he was certainly talented.
regardless of any other opinion in this (or any other) thread, it's sad to see talent go to waste like this.

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

sad

Ahnold
Hey everyone. I don't think I've ever posted in the "Batman" forum before (though I am a huge fan), but felt compelled to do so after hearing this very sad news about Heath Ledger. Whilst I can't confess to being hugely familiar with his career as a whole, after watching the new trailer for "The Dark Knight" when it was released last month, it really seemed - even from that brief glimpse - that Ledger had nailed the part, disproving a lot of people's doubts about his casting (including my own). It honestly seemed to me as if Heath really *might* be able to fill the very big shoes left by Jack nicholson, and with each passing glimpse (and glowing comment by one of his co-stars) my excitement for "The Dark Knight" began to soar.

To die so young (especially when you have kids) really is a tragedy - the guy was only 28. I can only hope that, as his final film, "The Dark Knight" will serve as his legacy, and cement his status as one of Hollywood's young greats. At least it's a hell of a role to go out on ...

Impediment
Like I say, that's your opinion, but your opinion does not control the content of this thread and he is entitled to make comment. It so happens quite a few people feel that way, in any case, so you'll just have to live with it. And if the assessment was hasty he can always recant later; it's still no grounds for flaming.

And even when you disagree, you can do it without that blatant flaming which you very possibly should be banned for seeing as you continued after being asked to stop.

Just take some good advice and make that the last time you do it. Regardless of what you think, that's the way it is.

Thanks, Ush. I didnt mean to insult or aggravate anybody with my honest opinions, but they still stand. Some people just need to calm down and not set themselves up for trouble.

Melcórë
Bloody bastard, dying so young. He hadn't even reached thirty....

That being said, you all realize that his untimely death will likely ultimately affect people's reaction to his portrayal of "The Joker," jah? I'll reserve judgment for my viewing of the film, of course....can't wait to see it, glad he (supposedly) finished his involvement with it - yet still upset for obvious reasons.

REQVIESCAT IN PACE

FistOfThe North
i can see him as river pheonix legendary. or more. this kid had potential.

xNIXSONx
RIP Heath Ledger

TraXtaRCR3
I think that this is a real downer!.. this is going to kill the Bat Flicks in a way, because as we all know the Joker never dies ! he is Batmans immortal enemy that never goes away!
For starters, i hope that they didnt do some foolish shit like kill off the Joker in this one like the killed off Venom in Spidey 3!!!! U JUST DONT DO THAT! these are the badguys that keep coming back, & we love them for it.

If anything i would have hoped that the Joker survives the end, and then in a small hint u see him all clean, sharp and devious like in the comics!...making way for him to come back like a true killer pimp in future installments, & not some smelly dirt bum who stumbles out of a trash can in this one! (The Dark Knight). yea i know he just got out of Arkham and hasnt showered or w/e...wich in either case makes what i said earlier a nice touch to an ending!
I am sorry to see him go, especially like that. He was a truly gifted actor and he will be missed!

.:CR:::.

SelinaAndBruce
Still really upset about this. I don't know why it shook me so hard. I was not really a fan in the sense that I am say a Johnny Depp or a Will Smith fan but it just seems so sad and tragic.

WrathfulDwarf
As I said before....I'm simply lost for words.

We'll leave this thread open for people to express their feelings.

This will remain open. sad

sindahouse
I honestly feel like I've lost a close friend or something. I know thats crazy, and I never met the man, but I've sepnd the last two odd years reading about him in this forum. We all have. We seen the doubters, we questioned his ability, we seen him rise, we waited for the first joker pick, we finally heard the laugh and last of all we got to see his peformance on the trailer. In a way, he has been a part of our lives for a while now. Hence his loss just feels really personal.. I wish I would have shook his hand or something...

R.I.P Heathy. I'll crack open a VB for ya mate

IheartPocky
I was just thinking about a month ago that after seeing Batman he will probably be one of my favorite actors. I was excited thinking about his future work buuuuuuuuuuut I guess I'll just look forward to Batman now. sad

roughrider
A stunt man died on the set doing a stunt this past summer
I thought that happened on Doug Liman's new film 'Jumper.'

Altar[1stONE]
Originally posted by sindahouse
I honestly feel like I've lost a close friend or something. I know thats crazy, and I never met the man, but I've sepnd the last two odd years reading about him in this forum. We all have. We seen the doubters, we questioned his ability, we seen him rise, we waited for the first joker pick, we finally heard the laugh and last of all we got to see his peformance on the trailer. In a way, he has been a part of our lives for a while now. Hence his loss just feels really personal.. I wish I would have shook his hand or something...

R.I.P Heathy. I'll crack open a VB for ya mate

Great post, im sure there are many people who feel that way, anyone whos been keeping tabs on TDK. Yeah man you summed it up pretty good there.

Wolverine2006
wow so depressing

this sucks on the highest level imaginable

R.I.P. Heath

Juntai
Originally posted by roughrider
I thought that happened on Doug Liman's new film 'Jumper.' Happened during The Dark Knight too.

Juntai
RIP.

Everyone will appreciate him now that he's gone.
I'm very positive he's going to steal all the scenes he's in.

roughrider
Have you gone funny or something, exanda? Impediment's a mod, you know you can get banned for that kind of talk. What's all this about?

If he's a Mod, shouldn't it say so in his profile & avatar?

Second, because he's a Mod, that gives him the right to come in and dump all over everyone who feels shocked & saddened by the news?

I thought his comments were very ugly and mean-spirited off the top. We have only bare details about what happened thus far.

roughrider

No, he was done. He was filming on Terry Gilliam's new movie when it happened.
Interesting to hear how the role was affecting him in the head, his sleeping etc. He modeled his Joker after Alex The Droog from A Clockwork Orange - that was a role that put Malcolm McDowell in therapy afterwards.

roughrider
Originally posted by TraXtaRCR3
I think that this is a real downer!.. this is going to kill the Bat Flicks in a way, because as we all know the Joker never dies ! he is Batmans immortal enemy that never goes away!
For starters, i hope that they didnt do some foolish shit like kill off the Joker in this one like the killed off Venom in Spidey 3!!!! U JUST DONT DO THAT! these are the badguys that keep coming back, & we love them for it.

.:CR:::.
They killed off Jack Nicholson's Joker in the first Batman movie, if you recall.

I don't know about the plot, but Batman has so many villains the series can still go on. When another reboot of some kind happens, we'll see another new actor as Joker. The character will go on.

WrathfulDwarf

atharpina
this is so sad...

i understand that people are entitled to opinion and that some opinions will be that a person doesnt care that another person died(!?) but no persons death does not matter. those that care will offend no one by sharing how much they care. the people that shared how little they cared obviously offended several people though.

so please....let mourners mourn. dont try and tell us he didnt matter

WrathfulDwarf
I can't even watch the Dark Knight trailers right now.

Just so hard to accept he is gone. It seems so unreal...wow.

OB1-adobe
I hope the dark knight didn't end on a cliff hanger

TraXtaRCR3
They killed off Jack Nicholson's Joker in the first Batman movie, if you recall.

I don't know about the plot, but Batman has so many villains the series can still go on. When another reboot of some kind happens, we'll see another new actor as Joker. The character will go on.

True, but not in the same line of movies! killing of Joker in the original was an ignorant and absent minded move on the part of the writers. There is now obviously more respect in the film industry towards comic book to film continuity (in a sense).
Yes there are more villains to come about, but its the main ones that really matter to enthusiasts!..Its like Killing off Lex Luthor in a Superman Movie...WTF!
Yes theres other villains to continue, but You just dont do it!
& Yea im sure when they respawn the movies in another 10 years, theyll bring him or any other characters back theyve decided to whack along the process!
I dont know about you, but i dont wanna have to wait around 10 years to see that. They should get it done right from the get go! Hollywoods already doing a pretty decent job already, (aside form Spidey 3 just made with no brains just to kill off the series!) im just saying they shouldnt stray off the path again & play it smart like theyve been doing is all.

Cap'n Happy

It will effect it a little. Principle filming WAS done, but there are almost always a couple of scenes the director wants to re-shoot, and then there are voice overs (usually the last thing in any movie is re-recording garbled dialogue).
Damn shame on a human level. It's selfish, but understandable that we fans of Batman first think about the movie, but lets remember that he was a human-being, and we don't know the details of his death. Sure reminds me of Brandon Lee/Crow.
As for the future Bat-films, Joker probably wasn't slated to be in them. An annoying (and foolish) mistake directors make on comic movies is to assume "we need a new villain for the next movie- the audience will want a new one". When will they realize that with good characters and good writing, the audience will want to see MORE of the villain (think Darth Vader). Two stupid mistakes movies have to cut out:
1. Revealing the heroes secret identity to ALL the main characters
(does anyone in the Spidey movies not know he's Parker by now?)
2. Stop killing the villain.
Anyway, real drag about Heath Ledger.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by atharpina
this is so sad...

i understand that people are entitled to opinion and that some opinions will be that a person doesnt care that another person died(!?) but no persons death does not matter. those that care will offend no one by sharing how much they care. the people that shared how little they cared obviously offended several people though.

so please....let mourners mourn. dont try and tell us he didnt matter I understand your point, but mine is not that he doesn't matter. Its the fact that none of us knew him so to mourn is a little rediculous. What some are tying to point out is that it looks like the hollywood life style is what killed him and if thats the case its his own fault. He had a daughter and family, if drugs had something to do with his death than shame on him. I come from a family with a not so glamous background and one thing I have learned is if a person isn't willing to help themselves or at least for the people around them than there no good to anybody. Its a shame he died so young but if his autopsy shows it was an OD I won't loose any sleep over it.

FistOfThe North
just watched TDK trailer and didn't see it with the same intensity and eagerness i always see it with.

it's surreal, the whole thing.

I just turned on the net with yahoo as my home page and there he was, a smiling picture, for half a sec i smirked and thought, there's my man, the joker, then i inevitably looked at the headline: "Heath Ledger Dies" my face lost it's quickly lost it's grin and went into serious mode. I sat up, grabbed my chin and let out an inaudible "daaaamn...". Just surprised as hell.

What the hell this is the last thing i was expecting to happen. It came and the worst time. It's almost as if it wasn't suppose to happen. I'm shocked. Heath will still be an excellent Joker and, as I've said over and over again on this Batman forum, Heath was the best pick for the Joker.

r.i.p. h.l. a.k.a. the jkr

SelinaAndBruce
I'm still stunned. I remember when the guy at work told me I thought he was joking and I was like that's a cruel joke. He's a big Batman fan too and he and I have discussed a lot about the Dark Knight so I was just floored. I had to go look it up myself to see. To this moment I'm still waiting for them to retract it...say it's all made up.

TheMercurial
For some reason, it doesnt seem real. I mean I'm not a huge fan of his. I've liked every movie of his I've seen but I wouldn't have gone to see a movie just because he was in it. That said, I was pretty excited about his Joker, and I had a feeling that he was really going to reach his peak as an actor after this movie, but I thought he'd be alive to see it too.

Btw, the Crow comparisons really hit me too. Spooky.

R.I.P. Heath

TraXtaRCR3
Couldn't Agree More!

Mairuzu
I'm still stunned. I remember when the guy at work told me I thought he was joking and I was like that's a cruel joke. He's a big Batman fan too and he and I have discussed a lot about the Dark Knight so I was just floored. I had to go look it up myself to see. To this moment I'm still waiting for them to retract it...say it's all made up. you got your wish! jk

Mairuzu
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I can't even watch the Dark Knight trailers right now.

Just so hard to accept he is gone. It seems so unreal...wow. It does seem unreal, im like waiting for him to pop back up on camera.... this sucks

Kazenji
Originally posted by Cap'n Happy
As for the future Bat-films, Joker probably wasn't slated to be in them. An annoying (and foolish) mistake directors make on comic movies is to assume "we need a new villain for the next movie- the audience will want a new one". When will they realize that with good characters and good writing, the audience will want to see MORE of the villain (think Darth Vader). Two stupid mistakes movies have to cut out:
Anyway, real drag about Heath Ledger.

Well they did'nt kill off the scarecrow roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic)

and who's to say "they will" have the joker in the next movie all they have to do is find someone that at least looks like the heath ledger joker.

Outbound
Ive been thinking about this all day at work, and I havent even seen any of his movies! He's not the type of guy you'd suspect of just dropping dead...28yr old, has a daughter, pretty much in his prime, nice guy, not all over the media with drink driving, drug taking etc, and yet we have idiots like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and Amy Winehouse taking up oxygen for no reason....**** me.

I hope he doesnt get over praised for his Joker part, he looks awesome in the trailer granted, but they're bound to give him an award 'just cause he's dead'.

Myth
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
I hope the dark knight didn't end on a cliff hanger

I'm assuming that if they did, it would have been just a really quick thing that could be fixed in editing.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Mairuzu
you got your wish! jk
Well I never wanted Heath not in the role of the Joker. My only complaint was his make up. Overall I never had a problem with him. I liked his acting I just thought the character looked like crap...and even though he is dead I still think the Joker looks crappy.

Darth Martin
"Ive been thinking about this all day at work, and I havent even seen any of his movies! He's not the type of guy you'd suspect of just dropping dead...28yr old, has a daughter, pretty much in his prime, nice guy, not all over the media with drink driving, drug taking etc, and yet we have idiots like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and Amy Winehouse taking up oxygen for no reason....**** me."

sad

pr1983
Just found out... damn... he seemed so young too...

Neo Darkhalen
28, he said he could not sleep during TDK, and he lived alone in an apartment for a moth, I think he had sleeping tablets to help him sleep, perhaps had a whisky or something; had a few to many, what a shame, I am sure the Joker would have put him on the map for sure.

FistOfThe North
i have a feeling that TDK will be a different movie than the one we would've seen i Heath was alive, for some reason.

Like there're gonna be some changes. And we may never know about it. Too friken bad. Unless the director tells on the dvd. The films' definitely gonna be dedicated to Heath and that other tech-guy that got killed on the set.

rip heath aka the silent rebel

FistOfThe North
Warner Bros. issues a statement:

"The studio is stunned and devastated by this tragic news. The entertainment community has lost an enormous talent. Heath was a brilliant actor and an exceptional person. Our hearts go out to his family and friends."

1/22/08

Juntai
Usually when people commit suicide they aren't in complete control of themselves. In this case, it seems like Ledger was so depressed he unintentionally overdosed on a medicine. seems being the key word.
Autopsy hasn't been done yet, don't let the media wave fool anyone into thinking he commited suicide or overdosed on drugs just yet. They just mentioned he had some in his hotel room in the article.

Juntai
It will effect it a little. Principle filming WAS done, but there are almost always a couple of scenes the director wants to re-shoot, and then there are voice overs (usually the last thing in any movie is re-recording garbled dialogue).
Damn shame on a human level. It's selfish, but understandable that we fans of Batman first think about the movie, but lets remember that he was a human-being, and we don't know the details of his death. Sure reminds me of Brandon Lee/Crow.
Anyway, real drag about Heath Ledger. The newest article says he already completely all his post-production work on the film.

The only thing it could affect is ad-campaigning from this point.

Kainreaver
Hell yeah Neo Darkhalen. The Dark Knight was definately going to put Heath on the map. The guy was on his way up. I mean, he was only 28. I could see him becomming the next Johnny Depp hands down. you KNOW after he owned the role of the Joker, Christopher Nolan would have worked with him on other projects as well. Like Scorsese does with DiCaprio.

FistOfThe North
He was on his way up. In 2005 he got nominated for an Oscar for best actor at the age of 26.

roughrider
Originally posted by TraXtaRCR3
True, but not in the same line of movies! killing of Joker in the original was an ignorant and absent minded move on the part of the writers. There is now obviously more respect in the film industry towards comic book to film continuity (in a sense).
Yes there are more villains to come about, but its the main ones that really matter to enthusiasts!..Its like Killing off Lex Luthor in a Superman Movie...WTF!
Yes theres other villains to continue, but You just dont do it!
& Yea im sure when they respawn the movies in another 10 years, theyll bring him or any other characters back theyve decided to whack along the process!
I dont know about you, but i dont wanna have to wait around 10 years to see that. They should get it done right from the get go! Hollywoods already doing a pretty decent job already, (aside form Spidey 3 just made with no brains just to kill off the series!) im just saying they shouldnt stray off the path again & play it smart like theyve been doing is all.

Remember, these are comics translated to another medium, so they have more flexibility. Comic writers & editors have to come up with artificial reasons to keep a mass-murdering lunatic like Joker alive, for the pressures of keeping an old rivalry going decade after decade in several monthly titles. But even the most successful film franchise only goes 3-7 films - as Spider Man is going to do - before a reboot of some kind happens. The audience wants conclusion. Joker may be Batman's top foe, but Batman is known for the vast size of his rogue's gallery, and you have to start giving the paying audience new things so it's not the same film every time out. That's why they are still trying to revive Superman's appeal for the movies - people are bored that it's constantly Lex Luthor time and again; they need to get past him to bigger foes.

Neo Darkhalen
Remember, these are comics translated to another medium, so they have more flexibility. Comic writers & editors have to come up with artificial reasons to keep a mass-murdering lunatic like Joker alive, for the pressures of keeping an old rivalry going decade after decade in several monthly titles. But even the most successful film franchise only goes 3-7 films - as Spider Man is going to do - before a reboot of some kind happens. The audience wants conclusion. Joker may be Batman's top foe, but Batman is known for the vast size of his rogue's gallery, and you have to start giving the paying audience new things so it's not the same film every time out. That's why they are still trying to revive Superman's appeal for the movies - people are bored that it's constantly Lex Luthor time and again; they need to get past him to bigger foes.

Spider-Man and Batman have the best rogue villain set of all time, shame Venom was destroyed in the 3rd Spider-Man film, Batman has alot to choose from, but it will be all the more bittersweet to see Heath playing Joker and if he does the performance we all expect, and then to remind ourselves that it can never happen again is sad, is it true he was going to be in another Batman film?

exanda kane
But even the most successful film franchise only goes 3-7 films - as Spider Man is going to do - before a reboot of some kind happens.

What about Bond?

roughrider
What about Bond?

Bond is unique, because it's really the same film remade every time out, with no continuity. There was some mini-threads between You Only Live Twice (1967) and Diamonds Are Forever (1971) because of Blofeld being the heavy, but that was it (Charles Grey, who played Blofeld in DAF, actually played a different character in YOLT.) Otherwise, their idea of reboot was just to change the lead actor every decade & keep going, until the latest Casino Royale where they finally went back to square one.
Funny enough, the first Batman series was kind of like Bond, for lack of continuity and how they just switched the lead actor time and again - maybe it could have kept going if it hadn't descended into silly camp.

Bat Dude
I hate to sound selfish during a time of mourning, but what does this mean about the future of the franchise? And what does this mean about the future of Nolan/Ledger's Joker? Are they just gonna recast him? It wouldn't be the same if they did...

Neo Darkhalen
I hate to sound selfish during a time of mourning, but what does this mean about the future of the franchise? And what does this mean about the future of Nolan/Ledger's Joker? Are they just gonna recast him? It wouldn't be the same if they did...

Nothing really, they can either recast, or kill him off, implied that he has died, or set up an extra scene where the Joker dies although we never see him, don't forget Batman has a long gallery of rogue villains, such as Freeze (zero) Ivy, Two face (next villain?) Bane, Killer Croc, Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Mad Hatter, Dr. Strange, Firefly, Ragdoll, Black Mask, scarface ect.

But it won't be the same, I agree.

wuTa
People keep saying how he dyed of a drug overdose/suicide when the autospy was incuclusive. Nobody knows how he dyed. He could have just as easly died on some freak thing like Bruce Lee did.

As far as him being on the map, I thought he was already on the map, he already had an oscar nom. at like 26. He was making movies he wanted to make. I agree that the Joker role would have made him more famous, but thats what I liked about Ledger, he seemed to take the roles that were more low key and character driven which would be more beneficial as an actor, than marquee bid budget crap that would be more benficial to his bank account. (and I'm not talkin about batman franchise when I say that)

Bat Dude
Originally posted by wuTa
He could have just as easly died on some freak thing like Bruce Lee did.

Which would make the Lee/Ledger comparisons ever creepier...

All the stuff I mentioned earlier PLUS he died similar to Lee's father? That's just creepy...

Mr Parker
Man I could not believe it when i heard this news,I was totally shocked.The timing is really weird that it happened just after he finished completing the movie.Thank god it didnt happen during the filming of the movie.

Neo Darkhalen
it's a shock 28....no expression

I still think TDK had a hand in this.

exanda kane
Bond is unique, because it's really the same film remade every time out, with no continuity. There was some mini-threads between You Only Live Twice (1967) and Diamonds Are Forever (1971) because of Blofeld being the heavy, but that was it (Charles Grey, who played Blofeld in DAF, actually played a different character in YOLT.) Otherwise, their idea of reboot was just to change the lead actor every decade & keep going, until the latest Casino Royale where they finally went back to square one.
Funny enough, the first Batman series was kind of like Bond, for lack of continuity and how they just switched the lead actor time and again - maybe it could have kept going if it hadn't descended into silly camp.

It's still a franchise. But fair enough, you played the "Get Out of Jail Free Card" with unique, despite not mentioning the exception earlier.

FistOfThe North
I think the Joker was Heath's most intense role ever. Intense in that the Joker character was intense and Heath as a person and actor was intense. The 2 parts collided with an impact equivalent of 2 cars crashing head on at full speed.

Unfortunately, as someone said earlier, TDK, might've cost him dearly. At least partly.

One out of the many stresses, i think, that he faced was the concern of being worse or better than Jack Nicholsons; an academy award winner/best actor. Maybe Heath wanted to top that, He sure wasn't able to manage it personally as it cost him, but maybe he pulled it off as the Joker.

Neo Darkhalen
I think the Joker was Heath's most intense role ever. Intense in that the Joker character was intense and Heath as a person and actor was intense. The 2 parts collided with an impact equivalent of 2 cars crashing head on at full speed.

Unfortunately, as someone said earlier, TDK, might've cost him dearly. At least partly.

One out of the many stresses, i think, that he faced was the concern of being worse or better than Jack Nicholsons; an academy award winner/best actor. Maybe Heath wanted to top that, He sure wasn't able to manage it personally as it cost him, but maybe he pulled it off as the Joker.

Here, I agree with you and another poster's points, I think that the Joker is an intense character; to go back to his roots, please the fans, top Jack's role; do a good job himself I think it may have been to much, in the end the Joker is a split of many different evils in the world and he has a strong fan base, I think he wanted to make the best of it; show people what he could do, sadly I believe it got the best of him.

Cap'n Happy

You have a valid point; movies demand tighter storytelling, with a beginning, middle, and an end. However this doesn't mean every villain has to die in every film. Stretch a characters arc over 2 or 3 films, at least the important villains. It adds heft and substance to the bad-guy, which only adds to the impact of the whole series. Think about Darth Vader in the original 3 Star Wars films. The best thing about the Spidey films (story-wise) was the continuing, looming presence of the Goblin. It added a Gothic overtone to the 3 movies (unfortunately, the payoff was a little weak). Anyway, you make good points, you obviously understand film better than most fanboys.

Neo Darkhalen
Don't mention the Goblin's, Venom should have had screen time instead of Harry, we already had one goblin we did not need another.

Cap'n Happy
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Don't mention the Goblin's, Venom should have had screen time instead of Harry, we already had one goblin we did not need another.

You're entitled to your opinion. I think any knowledgeable film goer and esp. film writer, would tell you that the whole Goblin element of the Spidey series (father/son/brother, vengeance, madness, ect.) was a much more compelling feature than Venom was. The Goblin arc was practically Shakespearean. If they ever have Venom in another Spidey it will be that much better because of the build up from his first appearances. I admit, it's time to leave Goblin alone now, and go to fresh meat, but the Bat-films (and ALL superhero films) would do well to observe Star Wars/Spider-man's use of their main bad-guys... keep them coming back and build-up to a climax.

Neo Darkhalen
Don't compere Shakespeare to Spider-Man, never do that, and considering many people only went to see SM3 for Venom it sort of puts things in perspective.

roughrider
You have a valid point; movies demand tighter storytelling, with a beginning, middle, and an end. However this doesn't mean every villain has to die in every film. Stretch a characters arc over 2 or 3 films, at least the important villains. It adds heft and substance to the bad-guy, which only adds to the impact of the whole series. Think about Darth Vader in the original 3 Star Wars films. The best thing about the Spidey films (story-wise) was the continuing, looming presence of the Goblin. It added a Gothic overtone to the 3 movies (unfortunately, the payoff was a little weak). Anyway, you make good points, you obviously understand film better than most fanboys.

Darth Vader was more than just the villain - we came to understand he was the main character in the entire saga. The biggest villain - The Emperor - dies after just one appearence in person.
I know death isn't always neccessary - Luthor doesn't get killed in Superman, but he never gets away with killing a lot of people first. The Superman films are brighter than Batman though, where death is inevitable. Ras Al Ghul is already gone. Even if Joker survives this film, he would have died by the next one. I don't know if the filmmakers will resort to Joker getting radical plastic surgery (that goes wrong) to cover the fact a different actor could play him in the next film...sly

He has to be involved in Harvey Dent becoming Two-Face, though.

batdude123
Originally posted by Val
6:02
Headline news: His role as the Joker was so troubling and demonic to him that he had trouble sleeping at night.
"physically and mentally draining"
"i took one ambien and it didnt work. i took a second and i fell asleep only to wake up an hour later."
-rough quote from an interview about being the joker

ermmnone

The Joker killed him. sad

grey fox
Originally posted by batdude123
The Joker killed him. sad

Almost killed Jack as well apparently....

Neo Darkhalen
I agree, the Joker did kill HL, I have said countless times why.

SelinaAndBruce
I doubt they will kill the Joker at the end of this but I don't know. I know a lot of people complain about the Batman 1989 storyline but people need to remember that no one know if that movie was gonna take off or not at one point. They tried to tie everything up neat and tidy at the end. And unfortunately it did hurt the integrity of the Batman character in many people's minds.

As far as Heath unfortunately I think this role did haunt him but he must have had some other underlying problems if it was a suicide.

Harvey Dent
...but the Bat-films (and ALL superhero films) would do well to observe Star Wars/Spider-man's use of their main bad-guys... keep them coming back and build-up to a climax.

I hope they don't use Spider-man as an example, like you said. They killed off Venom at the end in case you didn't see it. Great build up example there for you, eh?

Cap'n Happy
Originally posted by Harvey Dent
I hope they don't use Spider-man as an example, like you said. They killed off Venom at the end in case you didn't see it. Great build up example there for you, eh?

I was talking about how they kept the Goblin threat alive through the 3 movies. They SHOULD have kept Venom alive too, at least the potiential of him comming back. Cliffhangers add suspense. The best part of Batman begins was the end- the joker card. The whole audience whoped it up when that came on... suspense.

Cap'n Happy
Don't compere Shakespeare to Spider-Man, never do that, and considering many people only went to see SM3 for Venom it sort of puts things in perspective.

I won't. Shakespeare was the greatest writer in the English language, his work is as popular now as when he wrote it 400 years ago. Spider-man is a comic character. I love Spidey, always have, always will, but I don't think you have to slag literature to prove your love of comics.

By the way, Venom wasn't in the first 2 movies, and a whole lot of people came out to see them too. Not slagging Venom, just putting it in perspective.

Bat Dude
I agree, the Joker did kill HL, I have said countless times why.

It's a shame... I can only imagine the pressure put on him by the media, the filmmakers, and especially the fanboys to put on an epic performance... It was just too much for him... Now I feel pretty bad about ragging on him...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>