Movies to comics, comics to movies : The Joker

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

grey fox
Ok, I've noticed that whenever a major, big budget film production of a comic book occurs the characters paperback form receives a make-over to build a visual link to the movies.

This is a cheap tactic to grab readers who go 'Hmm Maybe this is like the film' or ' The movie was awesome, this'll be too !'.

UIt's happened before, most noticeably in Spiderman (We REALLY needed a whole year of Spidey hopping round in his emo jim-jams didn't we) and technically Silver Surfer (While his appearance didn't change he started popping up far more often then a cosmic should...)

So, whose betting Joker will be turned into Scruffy!Joker ala the late Ledger ?

Rorschach
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/SonicKMC/Jokersilo.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/SonicKMC/JokerArt.jpg

Deathstroke
In Lee Bermejo's (images above) defense he said in an interview he was making drawings of the scarred Joker before all The Dark Knight stuff started hitting. But yeah, the decision to begin using the scars in the comics probably ties into TDK.

grey fox
VERY nice Harley.

Juntai
Originally posted by grey fox
Ok, I've noticed that whenever a major, big budget film production of a comic book occurs the characters paperback form receives a make-over to build a visual link to the movies.

This is a cheap tactic to grab readers who go 'Hmm Maybe this is like the film' or ' The movie was awesome, this'll be too !'.

UIt's happened before, most noticeably in Spiderman (We REALLY needed a whole year of Spidey hopping round in his emo jim-jams didn't we) and technically Silver Surfer (While his appearance didn't change he started popping up far more often then a cosmic should...)

So, whose betting Joker will be turned into Scruffy!Joker ala the late Ledger ? His origin was just re-written in Batman Confidential a handful of months ago.

In the story Batman slices Joker's cheeks with a batarang, causing the scars.

WrathfulDwarf
It's just to attract new readers...unfortunally most are just bandwagons fans.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by grey fox

So, whose betting Joker will be turned into Scruffy!Joker ala the late Ledger ?

Venom, no brock, not much of a link, still as muscular and hated as ever. no expression

tjcoady
Why do people get bothered about this? What's wrong with new readers coming in because they enjoyed a movie?

Marvel and DC are publishing companies and as much as individual creators may or may not enjoy the long term fans, they're looking to bring in more money. More money into comics= more comic books to enjoy. Fantastic books (the Kate Spencer Manhunter, the Dan Slott Thing... we could go on) get cut off because DC and Marvel can't afford to keep them running. If they can bring in more money with new readers on their flag-ship titles- putting Spiderman back into his black suit to tie into Spiderman III or changing the Joker's appearance to suit Heath Ledger's look (which doesn't bother me at all- the Joker's appearance changes within individual comics, a slight change to his overall appearance isn't even all that noticeable), then, awesome. More readers. Cool. Comics stop being such an underground world- more people read, more exposure to the major books, maybe some more interesting non-genre new work or fun new, but less popular titles come out. Awesome.

nimbus006
thumb up

roughrider
Originally posted by Rorschach

Those pictures above, make me think of James Franco from Spider Man.

Hmmm...They will be looking for a new actor to play Jokeridea...

Priest
I think the movie is already filmed..

tjcoady
yeah. It's in post production. all the filming is done.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Priest
I think the movie is already filmed.. They'll still need a new Joker for the third.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
They'll still need a new Joker for the third.

Thats if they do have him planned for the second sequal

Almighty Bauer
Originally posted by Kazenji
Thats if they do have him planned for the second sequal If they stick to Nolan and Goyer's original plan (Joker in sequel, Joker scars Harvey Dent) then I'm fairly sure they will... but, isn't Two Face in TDK anyway...? Hmmm...

manorastroman
if there's one thing at which hollywood is exceptionally proficient, it's got to be re-writes.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Almighty Bauer
but, isn't Two Face in TDK anyway...? Hmmm...

Yes. What i've read for TDK is you will see Two-face before the movie ends.

Almighty Bauer
Yeah, he was on a trailer at Comic con or Wizard World or something...

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Rorschach

If that's the change I don't see why anyone would complain.

Darth Martin
I personally have nothing wrong with it.

Tomb of Dracula was a great series but the comic Blade sucked really bad. Wesley Snipes's movie Blade was incredible bad*** on the other hand. So you should change the story arc to revolve more around the movie(being more popular). Now they messed him up ahgain the comics though.

Laminator_X
70's Blade wasn't much of a loss. Alan Moore's Joker is. Ah, well. I haven't read Batman in years anyway.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.