Does anyone here prefer the Special Editions to the theatrical versions?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fascistcrusader
I'm curious to see if anyone likes them better given that most of the more outspoken SW fans lambaste the SE's any chance they get.

Man of Christ
Jedi rocks kicks lapti neks butt. nuff said

queeq
Well...

I though ANH neede the touch ups in comparison to the others. ESB didn't need it at all.

All I wished for is maybe a better Rancor scene.

fascistcrusader
ESB didn't need it at all.

Really? Personally I think ESB is the best of the special additions. In fact out of all the major anti SE rants, none of the subjects mentioned are in ESB. All it added was a few extended scenes and Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor, both of which were excellent moves.

queeq
I liked the original Emperor scene better though. I mean, it's good that McDiarmid does the Emperor now, but they changed the lines and it really lost some flavour there. It became a tad to explicit, explanatory there. In the original version the convo seemed more like dance, not really being honest to each other.

The scene of Vader going to his ship after Cloud City was unnecessary addition.

But then ESb was such a good film, it didn't need anything it really lacked. They touched up the matte lines nicely though.

coolmovies
I am happy with ESB SE the only problem i have is the line Bring my shuttle !
why did he change it mad

ROTJ SE sucks its got haydan as a ghost !! boo

General G
They should've changed the ewoks for the special edition of ROTJ...ESB's was fine, but it is still nice in SE.

queeq
Originally posted by coolmovies
I am happy with ESB SE the only problem i have is the line Bring my shuttle !
why did he change it mad

ROTJ SE sucks its got haydan as a ghost !! boo

THey didn't change it, they added it. It was never in the original.

ESB was so good, the Se didn't have much to add. Only correct little flaws.

General G
I don't even have a problem with that line.

queeq
It was obsolete

coolmovies
I do it was a great line

JediSamuraiMRB
I have both versions, but I do prefer the special editions moreso.

queeq
I have all of them. The original SE's look better. I think they ruined the look and the colors of the DVD SE's.

General G
Yeah, they did, I noticed that as well...I was watching ESB back the other day, DVD special, and it just didn't look as good, colouring wise.

queeq
They oversaturated it to match the look of the PT. The unqiue look of ANH and even ESB was ruined forever.

General G
Good thing I have versions of the originals wink

queeq
Me too!

General G
yay! I think I will put in ANH tonight.

queeq
Yeah, time to see it for once.

General G
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! your not funny

queeq
Too bad it's VHS though.

General G
Buy the OOT version on DVD...it comes with both SE and theatrical from the 70's/80's.

queeq
Yeah I know... but even that resolution is not up to par.

General G
Your VHS are still in good condition?

queeq
As good as VHS can be in a good condition yes. And I have several. The remastered OOT (which they didn't release on the last DVD I think, because the sound is THX remastered on those) and the 1997 SE's.

General G
All the VHS tapes I have had that have been around a while have not been the best of quality...Tombstone...Fistful of Dollars...SW...etc.

queeq
Treat them nicely, like they're women.

General G
I treat them nicely, I don't even rewind in the VHS player.

queeq
So that's why you never saw them.

General G
Wrong...I have a device thing that rewinds tapes so it doesn't damage the tape.

queeq
laughing out loud

General G
I see nothing funnny.

queeq
I do.

You seem to be rewinding them more than you watch them.

General G
That makes no sense at all.

queeq
Neither does you knowing so little about the movies and discussing them here.

General G
That would be your opinion, I say I know more than you think, but I repeat anyways:

Originally posted by General G
Shall I stop?

queeq
Please. evil face

coolmovies
If you rewind them they last longer plus VHS is a dead format. I find it imbarrasing watching ESB on tape becouse HD is the new format.

I think i'll erase my ESB tape so i will never watch it evil face hahah

queeq
Unless it's a 1997 SE... there may never be any other opportunity to watch it. Maybe you should convert it to DVD.

General G
Originally posted by queeq
Please. evil face

Can't argue with a mod.

*gives classic western gesture by pulling his hat*

coolmovies
Yes its the 97 SE i dont know how to convert it ? I taped it of tv

queeq
Digitise it into you computer and write it to DVD.

coolmovies
am confused

queeq
THat is good.

Sadako of Girth
I too still have the boxset of the widescreen '97 releases sitting on the my shelf. How they still play so well is beyond me.

I must've been well on the way to ESB getting worn out...!!!!

My old drummer has both the boxsets (WS=silver REG+Gold)
they fit together to make a half silver-half gold backed Vader face.

Thank the force they changed that dodgy, faeces-like Jabba for the DVD.

I agree with you Queeq on the 'Vader-leaving-cloud-city' shot.
It dragged out and ruined the pacing of that moment.

queeq
I have those boxes too.

Sadako of Girth
They'll have to take 'em from our cold, dead, severed right hands.

OOOOH! That just reminded me of another area where I preferred the DVD..... Luke's crap scream after he threw himself off the gantry at the Bespin duel. I'm glad they took it back out on the DVD.

queeq
Oh yeah... good call.

I still hate the stupid work on thelightsabres in the latest editions, especially in ANH (Luke's green looking sabre) and Vader's pink ones in ROTJ.

Jovan
Oh yeah... good call.

I still hate the stupid work on thelightsabres in the latest editions, especially in ANH (Luke's green looking sabre) and Vader's pink ones in ROTJ.
yeah but than again the rancor is done much better!

they did good work from time to time but sometimes it is still ugly like when they go to mos eisley: that transport-thing is really amateurly made

queeq
The Rancor fix wa a welcome one indeed.

Jovan
yeah, it was actually one of the reasons I enjoyed the SE ROTJ over the theatrical one... besides the entire finishing of a legion of his best troops getting wacked by teddybears... I hope that in a new version they kill those ewoks off! The only good ewok is a stuffed ewok.

They did it better in the DVD again; so I'm having hopes they can get the rancor up to par soon... and they need to change Jabba somehow, the ANH doesn't look like ROTJ, although he looks better already

chik4lit
I like that they cleaned up the special effects, but they should have left the content alone.

queeq
Agreed.

coolmovies
I would like to see how the SE's would look in HD ! they have to be pin sharp with no changes

sweersa
For the most original Star Wars OT experience, they have the original theatrical versions on the new special features of the DVDs.

coolmovies
you mean the 06 versions ? i have those

queeq
THere ya go, that's as good as it gets right now.

sweersa
you mean the 06 versions ? i have those

I guess, they say limited edition and yet they have been out for about 2 years! lol

I own the ROTJ and ANH version as it seems they have been most heavily changed. I might get ESB, but personally I am not a huge fan of that one.

coolmovies
THere ya go, that's as good as it gets right now.

What do you mean?

queeq
You won't get more original in better quality. That's as good as you'll get the originals.

sweersa
You won't get more original in better quality. That's as good as you'll get the originals.

I really wish they did it the right way.

I saw a pic of GL wearing a "Han shot first shirt" WHY WOULD HE WEAR THAT???

coolmovies
I always watch the bones disk

J.P Jaeh_Poole
...I want to know what's in the Original Edition.

I only watched the rest on SE (except for ROTJ, which i managed to watch on OE once..)... that's being young for ya.

so, which is better?
should i still look for OE cds to watch, or should i be content with the SE ones I have?

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by sweersa

I saw a pic of GL wearing a "Han shot first shirt" WHY WOULD HE WEAR THAT??? So do you agree that was a terrible change? That makes it more... gay. Han was badass for smokin Greedo like that.

And Originals are better than the SE. Added more CGI, cutsie parts. And changing Boba's voice was terrible. His mysteriousness was part of his appeal. Oh well...

queeq

I saw a pic of GL wearing a "Han shot first shirt" WHY WOULD HE WEAR THAT???

It does show the guy does have a sense of humour.

sweersa
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
So do you agree that was a terrible change? That makes it more... gay. Han was badass for smokin Greedo like that.

And Originals are better than the SE. Added more CGI, cutsie parts. And changing Boba's voice was terrible. His mysteriousness was part of his appeal. Oh well...

No, I don't like most of the SE changes.

I agree with you Queeq, Lucas is a funny !@#$.

queeq
He can at least take a beating. Thick skinned as he is. wink

sweersa
He can at least take a beating. Thick skinned as he is. wink

Good point.

I wonder how many small mammals he went through after the reviews for the Phantom Menace came in...

Mr Parker
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I have both versions, but I do prefer the special editions moreso.

same here.I have them both as well and also prefer the special editions especially Empire cause I love it that they added on the falcon coming into the city like they did so we could see more of cloud city.I always thought from the very beginning we always should have seen more of cloud city. thumb up I wish they had added even more by showing Lukes fighter coming into cloud city and landing as well.that would really have been awesome.

sweersa
Originally posted by Mr Parker
same here.I have them both as well and also prefer the special editions especially Empire cause I love it that they added on the falcon coming into the city like they did so we could see more of cloud city.I always thought from the very beginning we always should have seen more of cloud city. thumb up I wish they had added even more by showing Lukes fighter coming into cloud city and landing as well.that would really have been awesome.

You know, I could have sworn I saw a still of Luke's X-Wing on the landing platform...

It was a long time ago. I bet they filmed it and just never wanted it like a deleted scene.

I remember the first time I saw the Special Edition of ANH I thought it was cool, but some of the changes IMO were not that good, or bad.

Darth Subjekt
The best additions were adding Ian McDiarmid to the hologram, the cloud city sequence and the Anakin ghost in Jedi. And that one only because that was the last time he was a Jedi and had all his limbs. Otherwise, they'd have to prop "old" Ankain up on the rail with Yoda, as he didn't have legs or arms. erm

But the kiddie droid additions, changing Boba's voice... meh... horrible.

queeq
Cloud CIty was nice. The added Vader scene leaving for his Star Destroyer was rather obsolete though.

Personally, I always felt the only movie really needing some SE elements was ANH.

sweersa
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
The best additions were adding Ian McDiarmid to the hologram, the cloud city sequence and the Anakin ghost in Jedi. And that one only because that was the last time he was a Jedi and had all his limbs. Otherwise, they'd have to prop "old" Ankain up on the rail with Yoda, as he didn't have legs or arms. erm

But the kiddie droid additions, changing Boba's voice... meh... horrible.

Man I feel bad for the actors of original ESB Palpatine and Boba's voice.

"I was in Star Wars son, hand me that DVD and I'll show you....NO, the other one with the bonus disc, or the VHS that doens't have the gold box!"

queeq
laughing out loud

I prefer Boba's original voice though. Much meaner and vile.

sweersa
laughing out loud

I prefer Boba's original voice though. Much meaner and vile.

I agree, it worked well. The new voice is bad actually, sometimes it would have random pauses...etc. It is not the same.

queeq
Absolutely not. Made Boba sound like New Zealand hick.

sweersa
Absolutely not. Made Boba sound like New Zealand hick.

What was with all of the Mexican clone troopers on ATOC? lol

"Build that fence!"

"Right away sir."

queeq
laughing out loud

"Around the illegal immigrants a perimeter make"

sweersa
laughing out loud

"Around the illegal immigrants a perimeter make"

ROTFLOLCOPTER!

This is too funny!

Hahahahahahahahaha.

coolmovies
theres alot of grain on the bones disk so i watch the SE

sweersa
theres alot of grain on the bones disk so i watch the SE

That's true, it is almost a hard decision. (Thanks George.) We can either watch the original versions in okay quality, or the sharp remastered versions but the movies themselves somewhat altered...

queeq
Yup.

General G
Well it seems to work for more money...and thats what it about right? stick out tongue

queeq
Milking the franchise. And saying it's all for the fans.

coolmovies
I blame the fans becouse they wanted the OT with no changes

queeq
Pardon? Like they ever had a say in it.

Not that I think fans SHOULD have a say in it, I just think it's lame to 'blame' things on the fans' wishes. Fans never wished ANH in 1977.

sweersa
Pardon? Like they ever had a say in it.

Not that I think fans SHOULD have a say in it, I just think it's lame to 'blame' things on the fans' wishes. Fans never wished ANH in 1977.

Yeah, there was no such thing as ANH back then lol. Even after the movie came out.

queeq
You know what I mean.

sweersa
You know what I mean.

Of course. I was just trying to be funny...perhaps too hard.

roughrider
I don't agree with every change he made. But overall the changes are great. So, Yes.

queeq
Of course. I was just trying to be funny...perhaps too hard.

I'laugh then, out of politeness:

Ha

Ha

Ha...

sweersa
I'laugh then, out of politeness:

Ha

Ha

Ha...

sad

Thank you?

queeq
evil face

sweersa
evil face

Indeed. (hehe)

Blinky
As a whole I didn't like the SE more than the original.

The ending for the SE trilogy was slighly better IMO. I liked how at the end of ROTJ SE we get to see the whole galaxy celebrate. The Ewok music at the end of the original trilogy was complete shit, the new music is a little better. One thing Lucas f*cked up on (that makes me think the SE ending sucked-ass) is that f*g-boy Hayden C. was there.

sweersa
Originally posted by Blinky
As a whole I didn't like the SE more than the original.

The ending for the SE trilogy was slighly better IMO. I liked how at the end of ROTJ SE we get to see the whole galaxy celebrate. The Ewok music at the end of the original trilogy was complete shit, the new music is a little better. One thing Lucas f*cked up on (that makes me think the SE ending sucked-ass) is that f*g-boy Hayden C. was there.

Apparently after the destruction of the 2nd Death Star all of the imperials surrendered?

queeq
Yes... I suppose so. It's that thing supposedly about Palpy having some mind control over stromtroopers or summin.

Nactous
Theatrical versions, hands down. Cant even argue the other way.

queeq
The first SE of ANH in the late nineties benefited quite well from a redo. They kinda ruined it with the DVD version (except Jabba)

Nactous
I hate Hayden so much...

sweersa
Originally posted by Nactous
I hate Hayden so much...

I have a large poster in my bedroom featuring Hayden.

Yes... I suppose so. It's that thing supposedly about Palpy having some mind control over stromtroopers or summin.

Interesting, I never thought of it that way.

queeq
No? It's an old concept. Not sure if it's in any of the film novels though. But the idea was that Palpy would keep some kind of mind control to create unity and when he dies the whole army falls apart. Then again, it could serve as a nice excuse for the sudden end of the battle in ROTJ.

sweersa
No? It's an old concept. Not sure if it's in any of the film novels though. But the idea was that Palpy would keep some kind of mind control to create unity and when he dies the whole army falls apart. Then again, it could serve as a nice excuse for the sudden end of the battle in ROTJ.

That is interesting. Almost like order 66 was broken. But...what about all of the Generals...and regional governors?

queeq
Don't start asking any difficult questions now. wink

sweersa
Don't start asking any difficult questions now. wink

Hahaha. We will leave those to the EU authors...or maybe for GL whenever he makes 7,8 and 9...

queeq
Very good...

Jedireaper
Well ROTJ sucked on DVD... Vader had a pink lightsabre. Bad cleanup... they at least could have used computerized sabre effects... and ESB is perfect SE, DVD, or Original. ANH still needs some work correcting the corrections... and I tossed AOTC in my bin... pure CGI rubbish. PM was fine. ROTS Vader should have been David Prowse, you can see the boot extenders in the NOOOOOOOoooooooooo scene on Hayden's Vader, his movements are a little too girlish for Vader. Bullwokie!

queeq
laughing out loud

sweersa
Originally posted by Jedireaper
Well ROTJ sucked on DVD... Vader had a pink lightsabre. Bad cleanup... they at least could have used computerized sabre effects... and ESB is perfect SE, DVD, or Original. ANH still needs some work correcting the corrections... and I tossed AOTC in my bin... pure CGI rubbish. PM was fine. ROTS Vader should have been David Prowse, you can see the boot extenders in the NOOOOOOOoooooooooo scene on Hayden's Vader, his movements are a little too girlish for Vader. Bullwokie!

That is bad if they have to correct corrections. They would have never used Prowse, apparently he pissed off GL during the making of ROTJ.

Jedireaper
It is laughable, ain't it? laughing out loud I mean why does Vader need two inch thick boot soles. I mean the advertisement for that scene had better dialogue, I mean...

"Lord Vader, can you hear me."

"Yes, my master."

"Rise."

So more to the point, that noooooo sucked worse than the pink lightsabre which is tolerately. But Vader crossing his arms in such a casual manner gives the impression he's gay for some reason. Prowse should redo the part, with Earl doing better dialogue in Kasdan's vision, f*ck Lucas.

Jedireaper
Prowse actually auditioned for the part and would have got it, but that terrible actor, Hayden, decided he wanted the full plastic breathmask suit. Why? He sucked. And Port Nat's acting was good in all three.

sweersa
It is laughable, ain't it? laughing out loud I mean why does Vader need two inch thick boot soles. I mean the advertisement for that scene had better dialogue, I mean...

"Yes, my master."

"Rise."

So more to the point, that noooooo sucked worse than the pink lightsabre which is tolerately. But Vader crossing his arms in such a casual manner gives the impression he's gay for some reason. Prowse should redo the part, with Earl doing better dialogue in Kasdan's vision, f*ck Lucas.

It wasn't bad. If that scene happened in the OT you would all love it.

Prowse actually auditioned for the part and would have got it, but that terrible actor, Hayden, decided he wanted the full plastic breathmask suit. Why? He sucked. And Port Nat's acting was good in all three.

I doubt he would audition for that...after what he did before. Hahaha.

coolmovies
That scene was only in the trailer

"Yes, my master."

"Rise."

sweersa
That scene was only in the trailer

"Yes, my master."

"Rise."

It is pretty close...

queeq
THe "Rise" bit came from Anakin's Fall to the Dark Side scene. But it worked better in the trailer... IMHO.

ChokeOnEm
Greedo shooting first just about ruins the whole damn thing for me.

sweersa
Originally posted by ChokeOnEm
Greedo shooting first just about ruins the whole damn thing for me.

Don't let smalls things ruin the big picture. But I know what you mean.

queeq
I ruined Han's character.

sweersa
I ruined Han's character.

How? Did you take him out back after he fried poor Greedo and gave him a throttling?

lol just kidding.

queeq
laughing out loud

I missed T.... should check my watch more often. wink

sweersa
laughing out loud

I missed T.... should check my watch more often. wink

Hahaha!

coolmovies
Theres too much grain on the OOT trilogy . I like the SE set

cc16
Theres too much grain on the OOT trilogy . I like the SE set

Dude, they are the same movie, just one is remasterd and the other isn't. If Lucas had the OOT remastered, it would look the same as the SE DVD's, just without the newly added scenes.

It is scary that Lucas has duped a whole generation in thinking that the OOT actually looks like shit, and the SE looks great on DVD, when they are from the same negative! If you want a good example, buy the ET DVD, you have the Original Version and the Special Edition Version, both transfers look the same except for the new footage added in the new version.

sweersa
I wonder if they will ever release the original original originals on Blu-ray.

queeq
We all do.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.