Glory to Crap: Great Comics That Now Suck....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
Name a good comic that was great, excellent or just plain fun that has degenerated into a bad comic.

Example:

Ultimates. Jeph Loeb writes it. 'Nuff said.....

xmarksthespot
Does it have to be a single run of a comic that degenerated?

HueyFreeman
The darkness
First series -Awesome
Second- Got worse and worse
Third- Interesting so far

xmarksthespot
Apparently Authority Prime isn't great.

Teen Titans has taken a slide in quality since Geoff Johns stopped writing it imo.

Oh and Black Panther... I probably don't need to explain do I?

How crap does it need to get to be included though?

Val
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Does it have to be a single run of a comic that degenerated?
He listed Loeb's Ultimates so probably not.

I'll go with the Flash. Probably a top 5 traditional superhero book under Johns has become really mediocre and that's being generous.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by Val
He listed Loeb's Ultimates so probably not.

I'll go with the Flash. Probably a top 5 traditional superhero book under Johns has become really mediocre and that's being generous. Forgot about the flash. Is is me or has it gotten even worse since Bart died.

DigiMark007
Meh, Authority Prime is only 4 issues in. I actually don't mind it. But their most recent few story arcs set the bar so high, it's hard to live up to. But they've been up and down more than once in their run. I'm not really ready to call them "glory to crappy" yet.

And the problem with Flash is that I never really feel like any of them are dead anymore. They need some kind of stability, which is non-existent at the moment.

Also, JMS's run on Spider-Man. He did some really fun stuff, then f*cked it up with all sorts of suspect decisions (Norman's kids, unmasking, The Other) culminating in the OMD mess.

tjcoady
I've actually been enjoying Authority Prime. So far it's just been one big glorious fight, and you have crazy-ass SUPER-nineties Stormwatch versus the Authority... what's not to love?

TricksterPriest
Avengers. Particularly Mighty Avengers. The book is an ongoing disaster. no

Draco69
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Apparently Authority Prime isn't great.

Teen Titans has taken a slide in quality since Geoff Johns stopped writing it imo.

Oh and Black Panther... I probably don't need to explain do I?

How crap does it need to get to be included though?

Teen Titans sucks an almighty now.

Very sad. They keep changing the lineup.

Supergirl was a member for like three issues.....

DigiMark007
Originally posted by tjcoady
I've actually been enjoying Authority Prime. So far it's just been one big glorious fight, and you have crazy-ass SUPER-nineties Stormwatch versus the Authority... what's not to love?

Agreed. Though at some point Wildstorm decided to make the Authority a bit too edgy. Occasionally they seem like angry and/or arrogant parodies of their traditional selves. But for WS diehards, the Stormwatch stuff is a pleasant turn of events. And it's always fun to see how they manage to PIS The Doctor (and now Jenny) out of fights because they're literally too powerful for nearly any situation.

And I'll co-sign Mighty Avengers. Or New Avengers for that matter. Both have taken a nosedive imo. I was into NA for a while and just stopped after too many suspect issues.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Avengers. Particularly Mighty Avengers. The book is an ongoing disaster. no I dont think its a bad series. Its more along the lines of average to me. Nothing completely awful but nothing I would pay 3.99 to read.

endrict
Wolverine

manjaro
i second the mighty avengrs thing....it started well but after a while. the sarcastic remarking under thier breth thing gets super old......ummm JLA anyone? with the reboot and the new numbering this was supposed to be the rebirth.....the reintroduction of an uncanny era of superheroics like we havent seen in ages....yet so far all we've seen all of them complaining about who gets to do monitor duty, and doing detective work F ****ING detective work!!!!!...no JLA of old... no aliens,magical beings, pan demonsional entities, or intergalactic despots trying to lay claim to earth...just street lvl stuff. the biggest thing after a dozen issues is going up against luthor and his society

Val
JLA is a good pick too.

I'm noticing a lot of people picking team books here. ermm

Kazenji
Originally posted by endrict
Wolverine

I beg to differ....

endrict
Originally posted by Kazenji
I beg to differ....

Your welcome to your opinion matie.

Mr. Slippyfist
Mighty Avengers was never great, or has started to go downhill... it's just a book that's there.
And when Doom takes out Sentry next month (hopefully)... I will be expecting Trick to wear a fat "I'm wrong like always" sig for a week. smile

Martian_mind
I've been fairly dissapointed with annihilation conquest so far.

I mean,more Starlord,and Moondragon should have died sooner.

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Mr. Slippyfist
Mighty Avengers was never great, or has started to go downhill... it's just a book that's there.
And when Doom takes out Sentry next month (hopefully)... I will be expecting Trick to wear a fat "I'm wrong like always" sig for a week. smile

Nah. I'll be wearing a "Sentry for low herald" sig. cool

WrathfulDwarf
When Catwoman was writen by Ed Brubaker it was really good. Ever since he left the book is been....bah!

llagrok
Originally posted by Martian_mind
I've been fairly dissapointed with annihilation conquest so far.

I mean,more Starlord,and Moondragon should have died sooner.

Starlord should've died sooner? Are you mother****ing insane? stick out tongue Annihilation Conquest has been going downhill though, I'll agree with that.

Quasar has been really going down, from Wendell to Phyla.

Citizen V
Thunderbolts.

Ultimate Spider-Man.

tjcoady
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
When Catwoman was writen by Ed Brubaker it was really good. Ever since he left the book is been....bah!

I've been enjoying the current Will Pfeifer run...

starlock
Hands down.... The flash....i actually liked where they were going with bart, and now i can bareley read the comic,last trip to the comic store i told him to take it off my list

Spiderman, i stopped collecting it when they unmasked him...but even before that they were pretty bad

Never had any faith in anihilation conquest, as soon as i saw ultron, i said " eh whats this..." and my interest has waned

llagrok
Originally posted by starlock
Never had any faith in anihilation conquest, as soon as i saw ultron, i said " eh whats this..." and my interest has waned

I agree with this.

He has been used too many times now.

Draco69
JLA has been sucking for years every since Grant Morrison left.

The 2nd best arc was by Joe Kelly.

Other than that, pure suckage....

tjcoady
Originally posted by Draco69

Other than the Morrison run, and the fun of the Giffen/Demattias years and some of the Classified arcs... JLA has really never been very good, since its inception. Like... ever. I mean JLA Silver Age was vastly boring compared to the rest of comics in the Silver Age... the Detroit years...

Priest
Originally posted by starlock

Conquest is turning out quite good actually.

WrathfulDwarf
I've been enjoying the current Will Pfeifer run...

That's nice....

TricksterPriest
I don't know. I really liked Obsidian age. srug They weren't all bad. Though, Tenth Circle did suck. yes

Val
Originally posted by Draco69

Waid JLA > Kelly JLA

The Johns arc right before Infinite Crisis was pretty good too.

tjcoady
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
That's nice....

...Ellipses!...

Draco69
Originally posted by Val
Waid JLA > Kelly JLA

The Johns arc right before Infinite Crisis was pretty good too.

Pfffft.

Waid JLA was uber-boring.

The Queen of Fables storyline was a bust.

The Adam Strange storyline was boring.

And the Chance/Dice thing with the Atom was just plain stupid.

Joe Kelly had some good storylines at least.

Particularly the Obsidian Age.

batdude123
Originally posted by Val
Waid JLA > Kelly JLA

Agreed.

To be honest, I really didn't care for Trial by Fire or Obsidian Age. Golden Perfect and Rules of Engagement were okay though.

However, I liked Heaven's Ladder, Terror Incognita, and Divided We Fall better.

Val
Heaven's Ladder by itself owns anything Kelly did on JLA.

batdude123
Originally posted by Val

thumb up

Plus, the artist that did all the JLA arcs with Kelly (Doug Mahnke) sucks donkey balls, imo.

He made Superman look exactly like Major Disaster. sick

manjaro
i forget which arc but the one where the 9 dimensional beings lost to them..........beings that are infinintely more powerful than 5 d imps lost to the JLA..... those were good times. Maggedon arc, tower of babel, awesome....especially the part where after the JLA dusted dr polaris Bats, after giving a speech about preparedness sweeps off some snow off a teleporter he had conveninetly placed in the middle of nowhere....and made a dramatic exit....pure geekasm

batdude123
Originally posted by manjaro
i forget which arc but the one where the 9 dimensional beings lost to them..........beings that are infinintely more powerful than 5 d imps lost to the JLA..... those were good times. Maggedon arc, tower of babel, awesome....especially the part where after the JLA dusted dr polaris Bats, after giving a speech about preparedness sweeps off some snow off a teleporter he had conveninetly placed in the middle of nowhere....and made a dramatic exit....pure geekasm

Oh shit, I forgot about Tower of Babel. Lulz.

Yeah, that's also >>> what Kelly did with JLA.

Draco69
Originally posted by Val

Bah!

That arc was carried on Hitch's artwork.

In itself, the writing was subpar.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by Priest
Conquest is turning out quite good actually. I am on the ropes when it comes to annihilation. Its OK for now but I don't like the new Warlock. Wheres the master tactician that could give thanos a run?

tjcoady
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
I am on the ropes when it comes to annihilation. Its OK for now but I don't like the new Warlock. Wheres the master tactician that could give thanos a run?

Well, that's the point- he awoke from his cocoon too early and his mind isn't what it used to be. Supposedly, when he finishes developing he will be more powerful than he was before, though.

willRules
Originally posted by Val

Totally agree that storyline was sooo original and interesting and had such a great plot twist yes

llagrok
Well, that's the point- he awoke from his cocoon too early and his mind isn't what it used to be. Supposedly, when he finishes developing he will be more powerful than he was before, though.

Adam Warlock was never about raw power though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.