Good Will Hunting

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Couldn't find a thread.

Love this movie. Robin Williams did an amazing job.

Discuss.

JediSamuraiMRB
Great film. This put Matt Damon on the map.

ragesRemorse
I really like this movie, but mainly for the relationship between minnie driver and matt damons characters, as well as damons performance. I think the story was told better in finding forester though.

regina414
The best performance of Matt Damon, in my opinion.

Röland
This is one of my favorite movies.

Great performances from everyone.

manorastroman
the three parts of good will hunting that keep me from loving it to death:

1. when matt damon recommends howard zinn's "a people's history of the united states,". he's supposed to be some ****ing mega genius, and he recommends freshman history required reading?

2. when matt damon asks that barney, "do you like apples? i got her number; how d'you like them apples?" that part is stupid.

3. when matt damon informs minnie driver that eating caramels is as arbitrary as drinking coffee. it's not.

but i still really love this movie.

rockycairns
It's a good movie thats for sure good acting by all involved (even Ben Affleck did an impressive job)

Cap'n Happy
Originally posted by manorastroman
the three parts of good will hunting that keep me from loving it to death:

1. when matt damon recommends howard zinn's "a people's history of the united states,". he's supposed to be some ****ing mega genius, and he recommends freshman history required reading?

2. when matt damon asks that barney, "do you like apples? i got her number; how d'you like them apples?" that part is stupid.

3. when matt damon informs minnie driver that eating caramels is as arbitrary as drinking coffee. it's not.

but i still really love this movie.

Interesting. I think that:

1. You have a point here... I just think the filmmakers wanted to promote this book to a wider audience, but yes, hardly cutting edge for a super genius.

2. Got to disagree- I though this was a GREAT scene. Perfect comeuppance for the obnoxious little rich-boy.

3. It really is if you think about it... people in the early stages of romance will often plan on going out to "grab a bite" or "see a movie" or "have a drink"- it's all fairly arbitrary. Their real intent is to see one another, the reasons that they chose are often arbitrary social conventions that serve to facilitate the true objective.

Anyway, great movie. It holds up over time, sign of a strong film.

Mark Question

Sarcasm maybe? Seemed as though he was being a smart ass in that scene.

manorastroman
comeuppance? i think the "rich boy" got his comeuppance when will made him eat his own shit at the bar. i realize that the "d'you like them apples?" scene is intended to show the ultimate immaturity of will hunting, but it's still a bad scene. i guess i'll blame gvs rather than affleck or damon.

and eating caramels is far more arbitrary, if for no other reason than this: there's no precedent. to say that caramels and coffee are equally arbitrary is to ignore generations of tradition. meanwhile, drinking coffee at least makes one alert, and takes more time to finish, thereby leaving more time for conversation (forgetting the difficulty of forming phrases with a mouthful of toffee)...also, the similar conventions mentioned aren't arbitrary in the least; the cinema provides fodder critical or otherwise, sustenance is an unfailingly common ground, and booze makes it easier to enjoy other people, and, consequently have sex.

i'm just saying, the caramel comment is textbook faux-clever. see also: the "sexually active" business in juno.

Cap'n Happy
comeuppance? i think the "rich boy" got his comeuppance when will made him eat his own shit at the bar. i realize that the "d'you like them apples?" scene is intended to show the ultimate immaturity of will hunting, but it's still a bad scene. i guess i'll blame gvs rather than affleck or damon.

and eating caramels is far more arbitrary, if for no other reason than this: there's no precedent. to say that caramels and coffee are equally arbitrary is to ignore generations of tradition. meanwhile, drinking coffee at least makes one alert, and takes more time to finish, thereby leaving more time for conversation (forgetting the difficulty of forming phrases with a mouthful of toffee)...also, the similar conventions mentioned aren't arbitrary in the least; the cinema provides fodder critical or otherwise, sustenance is an unfailingly common ground, and booze makes it easier to enjoy other people, and, consequently have sex.

i'm just saying, the caramel comment is textbook faux-clever. see also: the "sexually active" business in juno.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on the 'apples' sceen- I loved it.
I do agree that the caramel/arbitrary bit was borderline "faux-clever" (as a few other bits were)... but I saw it as Will being flustered by the budding romance, and TRYING to be clever... a little too hard maybe (being a genius doesn't make one immune to being a goofball over a woman)
But I stand by it not being truly arbitary- at most, it is a matter of degrees, as you yourself point out. But I could counter your arguments by pointing out that:
Cinema can often spark disagreements which are not always conducive to romance. And depending on the film, movies can be quite unromantic in nature.
Alcohol- a depressant, often a sexual dampener.
Coffee- leads to coffee breath, a real turnoff.

OK, I'm picking nits. Anyways, you make good points- good discussion.
P.S. I agree with you on Juno.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.