Thanos vs Adam Warlock vs Magus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Southern_Rebel
A temporal flux allows these three beings to co-exist in the same time stream in 616 Marvel....all three wielding the Infinity Gauntlet. The three fight it out for Supermacy....who prevails?

Laminator_X
70's versions? 90's versions?

llagrok
Adam
Thanos
Magus

quanchi112
Thanos wins
Magus2nd
Adam Warlock last place

starlock
Warlock for the win

Bouboumaster
Thanos or magus pwnz Warlock in a terrible, terrible ownage.

Magus finish second, without a gem to back him up.

Priest
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Thanos or magus pwnz Warlock in a terrible, terrible ownage.

Magus finish second, without a gem to back him up.
Magus didn't even realize that he had a incomplete IG.
Magus<Warlock or Thanos.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Priest
Magus didn't even realize that he had a incomplete IG.
Magus<Warlock or Thanos. I really didnt read this thread properly.

TricksterPriest
It's between Warlock and Magus. Thanos has proved that he'll self-consciously set himself up to lose when he has ultimate power.

quanchi112
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
It's between Warlock and Magus. Thanos has proved that he'll self-consciously set himself up to lose when he has ultimate power. Thanos still defeated everyone he faced. Thats a writers excuse anyways that no one else was man enough to beat him. Magus loses here but I feel Thanos would slightly edge out Warlock due to his superior willpower. Remember Thanos hasnt lost until after hes won the contest. smile

celestialdemon
Stalemate

starlock
Btw alot of my thinking went into how the tribunal had a trial for warlock but not for thanos...i know thanos did not want to conquer other universes and warlock? well thats the question, it really is between thanos and warlock for sure

And add to it thanos loosing subconsiously well that is where i lean towards

quanchi112
Originally posted by starlock
Btw alot of my thinking went into how the tribunal had a trial for warlock but not for thanos...i know thanos did not want to conquer other universes and warlock? well thats the question, it really is between thanos and warlock for sure

And add to it thanos loosing subconsiously well that is where i lean towards Thanos would defeat Warlock and then find a way to relinquish this power. He would win this though.

TricksterPriest
Hey Quan. Are you trying to argue with Starlin? I thought he was your messiah for wanking Thanos so hard. doped

It's a well established fact that Thanos has an inferiority complex.

quanchi112
Hey Quan. Are you trying to argue with Starlin? I thought he was your messiah for wanking Thanos so hard. doped

It's a well established fact that Thanos has an inferiority complex. Uhm that doesnt mean he loses here. He would beat Warlock and then lose it later. He has always been the better man than Warlock. And uhm Thanos overcame this fault in the end. smile

Starlin is currently in charge of Darkseid right now. laughing laughing Aint life grand.

TricksterPriest
I am getting a letterbomb ready in case Starlin botches it. shifty

Warlock has always had the inside track to Thanos's head. As he said during The End, "I know you better than you know yourself."

All 3 are technically equal in power. Unless you want to argue that 1 IG is greater than another? whistle Which means it's down to mindgames. Something Magus and Warlock excel at.

guy222
Adam

Mr Marvel
Thaons wins, followed by Magus, and Warlock is last place.

This is because 1) Warlock already proven unfit to wield the Gaunlet b/c of his mental instability 2) Thanos was the 1st to conceive of the idea of the gaunlet, meaning that he created the concept of the gaunlet in the 1st place. meaning that he has the best insight into the working of the gems. 3)The Magus is the Full potential of what Warlock could have become which is why Thanos saw him as a Threat to his plan, however he doesn't really consider Warlock a serious threat, which he stated to the Magus during their encounter.
4) Magus has actually collected the Gems on his own unlike Warlock who just seized an Opportuniy made possible by Thanos in the 1st place, though I have to mention that Magus' gauntlet was Incomplete,
meaning that he OBVIOUSLY has less knowledge of the GEMs Thanos.

llagrok
Answer me, Qua... Marvel.

Who foiled Thanos' plans?

Laguna L
Adam Warlock. He's the coolest cat in this thread.

skyfather
Originally posted by celestialdemon
Stalemate

quanchi112
Originally posted by llagrok

Who foiled Thanos' plans? Uhm which plans?

skyfather
Originally posted by quanchi112
Uhm which plans?
i think he means thanos plans with the ig.

quanchi112
Originally posted by skyfather
i think he means thanos plans with the ig. Random chance and a slight oversight by Thanos after he defeated all who opposed him.

DigiMark007
Heh.

Warlock > Thanos anyway. Not in power, but in the mind. And when their power is equalized (as it would be for this thread) he would clearly win.

And Magus is an incomplete Warlock....he loses too.

King Kandy

It's a well established fact that Thanos has an inferiority complex.
Dude I don't understand why you say Starlin wanks Thanos... He INVENTED the character! it's how he was always intended to be portrayed!

quanchi112
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Heh.

Warlock > Thanos anyway. Not in power, but in the mind. And when their power is equalized (as it would be for this thread) he would clearly win.

And Magus is an incomplete Warlock....he loses too. Warlock does no have a superior mind. What made you come to this decision.

DigiMark007
Warlock does no have a superior mind. What made you come to this decision.

Any story arc he's ever been in.

Quit trying to play up your boy when at best we have a stalemate/coin flip scenario here. The "beatdowns" you've been referring to are all when Thanos possesses more power than his opponents (which he often does). Even the IG stuff is a moot point. Yeah, he defeated his enemies before losing the IG. But he was also the most powerful being in the universe at the time (sans LT, etc.).

It's like making a Galactus vs. Spider-Man thread where Spidey has Big G's powers, then saying Galactus wins because he has punked Spidey in the past.

Of course that analogy falls apart because Pete has never had power like that, so he wouldn't use it as well. Both Thanos and Warlock have had this power, so it's a wash.

Thanos is sweet. If we're doing a ?/10 thing, he'd probably take some wins...possibly even the majority. But we can't really know, and by all accounts it's just as likely that Warlock would win as many or more. Intellectually, he's Thanos' equal (one of the very, very few). I'm not disrespecting Thanos, just being fair to all the characters.

LORD B
imo they would stalemate each other.

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Heh.

And Magus is an incomplete Warlock....he loses too.

Ah, that's funny considering Warlock said Magus adapted to the IG's power faster than either him and Thanos.

If Magus had an equal IG, he'd wreck the other two. stick out tongue stick out tongue

DigiMark007
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
Ah, that's funny considering Warlock said Magus adapted to the IG's power faster than either him and Thanos.

If Magus had an equal IG, he'd wreck the other two. stick out tongue stick out tongue

Perhaps, though it seems logically unlikely due to the fact that Magus, quite literally, is merely half of Warlock. But I guess that's comic writing for you...

redhotrash
Thanos should be able to take Warlock and Magus at the same time in all honesty. When has Warlock or Magus done anything notable without some outside power source (IG or a gem)? Dr. Doom nearly beat the crap out of them using his standard gear, theres no way Thanos couldnt do the same.

llagrok
Originally posted by redhotrash
Thanos should be able to take Warlock and Magus at the same time in all honesty. When has Warlock or Magus done anything notable without some outside power source (IG or a gem)? Dr. Doom nearly beat the crap out of them using his standard gear, theres no way Thanos couldnt do the same.

That's not really relevant...

Their power would be equal.

Laminator_X
The "Which Versions?" question remains unanswered by the OP, unless I missed it, so I'll put my 2-cents in.

I'm thinking A-1 champ would be 90's Warlock. Owing to his years of attunement to his Infinity Gem, he's more proficient with the gems than anybody, performed feats with them that no one else has. He wielded the Soul Gem (and perhaps the others, if you think about it) right from the back Thanos's hand without Big T even noticing, used one to disrupt the others, placed blocks within them, etc. He shrugged off Eternity with ease, while Thanos needed to actually fight it out with the various space-gods.

Number two I'll call a tie between 90's Thanos and 70's Magus. 70's Magus is Thanos's worst nightmare as far as opponents go, essentially everything Warlock is plus more drive minus the mercy and compassion, but he lacks the experience with the Gems. I'll perhaps give the edge to 90's Thanos, but really I find it too close to call.

Next I'd take 90's Magus. He's a chump compared to the 70's version, but he at least knew how to play the game.

Next I'll go with 70's Thanos. He's a huge leap down from the others. He actually had all the gems, but couldn't figure out what to do withthem except make a big star-buster-gun. This was Thanos at his most self-defeating.

For last, I'll go with 70's Warlock, as he had yet to really master the Soul Gem, let alone more serious power.

As far as current versions go, I'd say Thanos (despite being dead), Warlock, then Magus; possibly shifting once Warlock gets his head screwed on straight again.

Galan007
Warlock
Magus
Thanos

quanchi112
Originally posted by Galan007
Warlock
Magus
Thanos How can you have Thanos in third place?

iceman24567
Adam Warlock
Thanos
Magus

Southern_Rebel
Originally posted by Laminator_X
The "Which Versions?" question remains unanswered by the OP, unless I missed it, so I'll put my 2-cents in.

I'm thinking A-1 champ would be 90's Warlock. Owing to his years of attunement to his Infinity Gem, he's more proficient with the gems than anybody, performed feats with them that no one else has. He wielded the Soul Gem (and perhaps the others, if you think about it) right from the back Thanos's hand without Big T even noticing, used one to disrupt the others, placed blocks within them, etc. He shrugged off Eternity with ease, while Thanos needed to actually fight it out with the various space-gods.

Number two I'll call a tie between 90's Thanos and 70's Magus. 70's Magus is Thanos's worst nightmare as far as opponents go, essentially everything Warlock is plus more drive minus the mercy and compassion, but he lacks the experience with the Gems. I'll perhaps give the edge to 90's Thanos, but really I find it too close to call.

Next I'd take 90's Magus. He's a chump compared to the 70's version, but he at least knew how to play the game.

Next I'll go with 70's Thanos. He's a huge leap down from the others. He actually had all the gems, but couldn't figure out what to do withthem except make a big star-buster-gun. This was Thanos at his most self-defeating.

For last, I'll go with 70's Warlock, as he had yet to really master the Soul Gem, let alone more serious power.

As far as current versions go, I'd say Thanos (despite being dead), Warlock, then Magus; possibly shifting once Warlock gets his head screwed on straight again.

You're asking which version of the characters are wielding the IG? I'm referring to the same characters who have wielded it on panel.

Galan007
How can you have Thanos in third place? By typing his name last. smile

Laminator_X
Originally posted by Southern_Rebel
You're asking which version of the characters are wielding the IG? I'm referring to the same characters who have wielded it on panel.

Then the answer is 90's Warlock wins. He punked 90's Magus in a head-to-head duel for control of the Gems (in which Magus couldn't tell reality was a fake) and was able to wield the Gems on Thanos's hand without Thanos even being aware of it. Nobody else can wield those things like he can.

quanchi112
By typing his name last. smile Oh so you dont have a good reason.....gotcha. smile

Laguna L
Oh so you dont have a good reason.....gotcha. smile

He had a great reason if you didn't notice, Quan.

Galan007
Oh so you dont have a good reason.....gotcha. smile Sure,
I have a good reason -- but you didn't ask the reason why I put Thanos in the #3 spot...

You asked:
How can you have Thanos in third place?

I replied with:
By typing his name last. smile

In short,
The response I gave, was befitting to the question you originally asked me. smile

quanchi112
Sure,
I have a good reason -- but you didn't ask the reason why I put Thanos in the #3 spot...

You asked:

I replied with:

In short,
The response I gave, was befitting to the question you originally asked me. smile Galan,may I ask for a reason or two why you feel that Thanos vant win here. Why does he fall short?

Galan007
Galan,may I ask for a reason or two why you feel that Thanos vant win here. Why does he fall short? No problem, quanch. smile

In a nuttshell,
Warlock and Magus seemed to display more, as far as on panel feats are concerned.

imo of course. smile

Southern_Rebel
No problem, quanch. smile

In a nuttshell,
Warlock and Magus seemed to display more, as far as on panel feats are concerned.

imo of course. smile

LORD B

In a nuttshell,

imo of course. smile
dont you think that is down to the IG users having different engenders to each other with regards to feats??

Galan007
Originally posted by LORD B
dont you think that is down to the IG users having different engenders to each other with regards to feats?? Sure.

But that doesn't change my reasoning behind putting Thanos third, .

Again,
imo. smile

LORD B
Sure.

But that doesn't change my reasoning behind putting Thanos third, .

Again,
imo. smile
I'm not questioning you opinion or reasoning smile

Laguna L
I agree with Galan.

IMO Thanos was the most inept at using the IG.

quanchi112

In a nuttshell,

imo of course. smile I feel that since their overall power is the same that it comes down to willpower. Thanos wins due to his superior will. smile

quanchi112
Originally posted by Laguna L
I agree with Galan.

IMO Thanos was the most inept at using the IG. Thanos lowered his powers and still won and then he defeated the abstracts. Him letting Nebula grab it doesnt mean anything. It was the writers way of Thanos losing without him really losing while he wielded it. Plus he overcame his own subconscious flaws in marvel's the end.

Galan007
I feel that since their overall power is the same that it comes down to willpower. Thanos wins due to his superior will. smile But Warlock/Magus still have superior on panel feats with the IG, . smile

quanchi112
But Warlock/Magus still have superior on panel feats with the IG, . smile Magus didnt even have all the gems. I cant see where you are coming from. he didnt have the reality gem and didnt even know it. To say his feats were more impressive than Thanos' is just plain wrong.

Warlock never faced all the oppost that Thanos faced either.

Southern_Rebel
Thanos lowered his powers and still won and then he defeated the abstracts. Him letting Nebula grab it doesnt mean anything. It was the writers way of Thanos losing without him really losing while he wielded it. Plus he overcame his own subconscious flaws in marvel's the end.

yeah, but if it was DS in that storyline..and Nebula grabbed it from him....you would tell everyone how much DS sucks...and how incompetent he is. The only reason you are arguing this..is that you can't stand the fact that Thanos might not win.

quanchi112

Who foiled Thanos' plans? Starlin.

Galan007
Magus didnt even have all the gems. I cant see where you are coming from. he didnt have the reality gem and didnt even know it. To say his feats were more impressive than Thanos' is just plain wrong. Magus merged 2 Universes, and pwned a Multiversal weapon .

Those feats are > what Thanos did with the IG, imo. smile

Warlock never faced all the oppost that Thanos faced either. So Warlock didn't blast away most of the hierarchy with ease, and pwn Eternity multiple times?

Pretty sure he did, actually. smile

quanchi112
Originally posted by Southern_Rebel
yeah, but if it was DS in that storyline..and Nebula grabbed it from him....you would tell everyone how much DS sucks...and how incompetent he is. The only reason you are arguing this..is that you can't stand the fact that Thanos might not win. Ds doesnt suck. Hes very cool but he just doesnt compare to Thanos. Its the way it is.

Thanos has the superior will.

quanchi112
Magus merged 2 Universes, and pwned a Multiversal weapon .

Those feats are > what Thanos did with the IG, imo. smile

So Warlock didn't blast away most of the hierarchy with ease, and pwn Eternity multiple times?

Pretty sure he did. smile Thanos let his opposition plan and come at him and let them get organized. Thanos defeated Eternity also. Thanos defeated Warlock and his plans when he opposed him. he let his guard down and lost it while Warlock handed it over willingly. He might hand it over willingly to Thanos.

Everything Magus did didnt master because he couldnt control reality.

Galan007
Thanos let his opposition plan and come at him and let them get organized. Thanos defeated Eternity also. Thanos defeated Warlock and his plans when he opposed him. he let his guard down and lost it while Warlock handed it over willingly. He might hand it over willingly to Thanos.

Everything Magus did didnt master because he couldnt control reality. Okie dokie. smile

llagrok
Nebula was definitely the worst/most inexperienced user.

Followed by Thanos.

quanchi112
Nebula was definitely the worst/most inexperienced user.

Followed by Thanos. Magus had no clue that he didnt have the reality gem. What a friggin dope. That would have never worked on Thanos. stick out tongue

Guess who had the reality gem. stick out tongue smile laughing out loud laughing out loud Happy Dance

King Kandy
Magus is not actually just half of Warlock, he has the original Magus's mind.

Laminator_X
Originally posted by King Kandy
Magus is not actually just half of Warlock, he has the original Magus's mind.

Negative there. 90's Magus's persona is based on Warlock's memories of his evil future self. The Magus was how Warlock envisioned his dark side, so the Magus his dark side became. However, 90's Magus was not an actual incarnation of the (far more dangerous and powerful) 70's Magus.

Something that hasn't ben picked up, is that while 616 was saved from a Magus empire by Warlock's suicide, there are still timelines in existence where the Magus did come to be. Maxxam was sent back in time to kill Adam to keep him from becoming the Magus in the future. This is also why the LT ruled Adam unfit to wield the Gauntlet. The thought of a future Whole-Warlock-Magus wielding the power was too terrible to even allow the possibility.

I have wondered before wether the 90's Magus failed to recognize the fake Reality Gem because he was himself not entirely real, as was shown when he couldn't interact with the true souls in Soulworld.

Laminator_X
Thanos let his opposition plan and come at him and let them get organized. Thanos defeated Eternity also.

Thanos had to work a lot harder against the various space-gods than Adam did.

Thanos defeated Warlock and his plans when he opposed him. he let his guard down and lost it ...

In fairness, Warlock wasn't really expecting his super-hero army or the space-god brigade to win. He hoped he might get lucky, but all of those were just canon-fodder to keep Thanos thrashing about until he power-tripped himself into a mistake. He said more or less that on-panel.

King Kandy
Negative there. 90's Magus's persona is based on Warlock's memories of his evil future self. The Magus was how Warlock envisioned his dark side, so the Magus his dark side became. However, 90's Magus was not an actual incarnation of the (far more dangerous and powerful) 70's Magus.

Something that hasn't ben picked up, is that while 616 was saved from a Magus empire by Warlock's suicide, there are still timelines in existence where the Magus did come to be. Maxxam was sent back in time to kill Adam to keep him from becoming the Magus in the future. This is also why the LT ruled Adam unfit to wield the Gauntlet. The thought of a future Whole-Warlock-Magus wielding the power was too terrible to even allow the possibility.

I have wondered before wether the 90's Magus failed to recognize the fake Reality Gem because he was himself not entirely real, as was shown when he couldn't interact with the true souls in Soulworld.

I can prove you wrong on that. No scanner, but right from the pages of infinity war #2, when they ask the infinity well about the Magus:

Infinity Well: *Talks about irrelevant stuff*

"With your aid, Warlock was able to destroy the timeline from whose loins the magus sprang. And the base evil that had been the magus faded from existence, only to be remembered by a select few."

*Talks about other irrelevant stuff, and how Magus and Goddess were expelled from Adam's being.*

Now here's the important part:

"But the darkness that is the Magus would not easily die. From what I have been able to piece together, apparently the Magus reincorporated near the crossroads leading to several strange actualities. Realities that i'm not certain existed before his ressurection."

What does this tell us? It tells us that the original Magus was reborn within the new Magus. They share the same consciousness, and it's referred to as a ressurection. They are in fact the same mind, only the new Magus is in a weaker body.

Laminator_X
I stand corrected.

I do think it goes beyond merely having a weaker body though. The original was a whole person, rather than a fragment or shade.

King Kandy
Yeah there's definatly something going on. I guess it's more like the new Magus carries the essence of the old Magus. But they are the same being essentialy.

quanchi112
Thanos had to work a lot harder against the various space-gods than Adam did.

In fairness, Warlock wasn't really expecting his super-hero army or the space-god brigade to win. He hoped he might get lucky, but all of those were just canon-fodder to keep Thanos thrashing about until he power-tripped himself into a mistake. He said more or less that on-panel. Thanos did defeat all the sapce gods and they all hit him up at once not to mention that he was getting over his initial shock of being betrayed by his lady death.

redhotrash
We arent talking about "Who did more with the IG", its a Who'd win thread, in which I'll refer you back to my comment about Dr. Doom and Kang beat the living crap out of both Magus and Warlock. If they jumped Thanos he'd give them a Hulk/Drax backhand.

celestialdemon
Originally posted by redhotrash
We arent talking about "Who did more with the IG", its a Who'd win thread, in which I'll refer you back to my comment about Dr. Doom and Kang beat the living crap out of both Magus and Warlock. If they jumped Thanos he'd give them a Hulk/Drax backhand.

Doesn't really matter. With the IG, all three of their power levels would be equal.

quanchi112
Originally posted by celestialdemon
Doesn't really matter. With the IG, all three of their power levels would be equal. Which is why Thanos would win due to his superior will.

Galan007
Originally posted by King Kandy
I can prove you wrong on that. No scanner, but right from the pages of infinity war #2, when they ask the infinity well about the Magus:

Infinity Well: *Talks about irrelevant stuff*

"With your aid, Warlock was able to destroy the timeline from whose loins the magus sprang. And the base evil that had been the magus faded from existence, only to be remembered by a select few."

*Talks about other irrelevant stuff, and how Magus and Goddess were expelled from Adam's being.*

Now here's the important part:

"But the darkness that is the Magus would not easily die. From what I have been able to piece together, apparently the Magus reincorporated near the crossroads leading to several strange actualities. Realities that i'm not certain existed before his ressurection."

What does this tell us? It tells us that the original Magus was reborn within the new Magus. They share the same consciousness, and it's referred to as a ressurection. They are in fact the same mind, only the new Magus is in a weaker body.
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7877/iw1ct6.th.jpg http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/160/iw2db9.th.jpg http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7098/iw3tp7.th.jpg http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6913/iw4cr4.th.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.