The Bible: Archaelogical Finds

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ushomefree
Old Testament

(1) Dead Sea Scrolls (discovered 1947-56, Qumran, Israel). Provided our oldest copies of almost all books of the Old Testament and confirmed reliability of the transmission process.

(2) Taylor Prism (discovered 1830, Nineveh, Iraq). Corroborates the compaigns of Sennacherib found in 2 Kg 18:13-19:37; 2 Ch 32:1-12; Is 36:1-37:38.

(3) House of David Inscriptions (discovered 1993-94, Tel Dan, Israel). Earliest mention outside the Bible of King David, who some scholars habe held to be a fictional character.

(4) Cylinder of Nabonidus (discovered 1854, Ur, Iraq). Corroborates Belshazzar as last king of Babylon as recorded in Daniel 5:1-30; 7:1; 8:1.

(5) Sargon Inscriptions (discovered 1843, Khorsabad, Iraq). Confirms the existence of Sargon, King of Assyria, Isaiah 20:1, as well as his conquering of Samaria (2 Kings 17:23-24).

(6) Tiglath-Pileser III Inscriptions (discovered 1845-49, Nimrud, Iraq). Corroborates 2 Kings 15:29).

(7) Black Obelisk of Shalmaneser (discovered 1846, Nimrud, Iraq). Depicts Jehu, son of Omri, oldest known picture of an ancient Israelite.

(8) Moabite Stone (discovered 1868, Palestine). Corroborates 2 King 3.

(9) Ketef Hinnom Amulets (discovered 1779, Jerusalem). Contains the Hebrew text of Numbers 6:24-26 and Deuteronomy 9:7. This is the oldest instance to date of of the Hebrew text of the Old Testament, 7th-6th century BC.

(10) Seal of Baruch (discovered early-mid 1970's, Jerusalem). Contains the phrase "belonging to Beruch son of Neriah," Jeremiah's scribe, 6th century BC.

(11) Epic of Gilgamesh (discovered 1853, Nineveh, Iraq). First extra-biblical find that appears to reference the great flood of Genesis 7-8.

(12) Weld-Blundell Prism (discovered 1922, Babylon, Iraq). Contains a list of Sumerian Kings that ruled before and after the great flood; the kings that pre-dated the flood are attributed enormous life spans reminiscent of, though greater than, the lifespans of pre-flood inhabitants of the Bible.

(13) Siloam Inscription (discovered 1880, Jerusalem). One of the few extinct Hebrew writings from the 8th century BC or earlier.

(14) Gedaliah Seal (discovered 1935, Lanchish, Israel). Corroborates 2 Kings 25:22

New Testament

(1) The Pilate Stone Inscription (discovered 1961, Caesarea Maritima). Confirmed the existence and office of Pilate.

(2) The Delphi, or Gallio, Inscription (discovered 1905). Fixed the date of Gallio's proconsulship at AD 51-52, providing a way of daiting Acts 18:12-17, and as a result, much of Paul's ministry.

(3) Caiaphas Ossuary (discovered 1990, near Jerusalem). Confirmed the existence of Caiaphas.

(4) Sergius Paulus Inscription (discovered 1877, Paphos, Cyprus). Confirms the existence of Sergius Paulus, proconsul of Cyprus encountered by Paul and Barnabus in Acts 13:7.

(5) Pool of Siloam (discovered 2004, Jerusalem). Site of Jesus' miracle recorded in John 9:1-11.

(6) Skeleton of Yohanan (discovered 1968, Jerusalem). Only known remains of crucifixion victim; corroborates the Bible's description of crucifixion.

(7) Rylands Papyrus P52 (discovered 1920). Oldest universally accepted manuscript of the New Testament, a small fragment of John's Gospel dated by papyrologists to AD 125.

(8) Bodmer Papyrus II (discovered 1952, Pabau, Egypt). Contains most of John's Gospel and dates from AD 150-200.

(9) Magdalene Papyrus (discovered 1901, Luxor, Egypt). Contains fragments of Matthew and has been dated as being earlier than 70 AD, though there is debate concerning the date.

(10) Chester Beatty Papyri (discovered 1931-35, Cairo, Egypt). Three papyri dating from AD 200 that contain most of the New Testament.

(11) Codex Vaticanus (discovered in the Vatican Library's earliest inventory ). Dated AD 325-50 and contains nearly complete Bible.

(12) Codex Sinaiticus (discovered 1859, Mt Sinai, Egypt). Codex contains nearly complete New Testament and over half of the Old Testament (the books at the beginning of the Bible appear to have been lost to damage), dated AD 350.

(13) 7Q5 (discovered 1955, Qumran, Israel). Possible fragment of Mark that can be dated no later than AD 68 which would mamke the oldest extant New Testament fragment confirmed.

(14) Galilee Boat (discovered 1986, near Tiberias, Israel). The boat, 30' x 8', held approximately 15 passengers and would be like the boats Jesus' disciples used in crossing the Sea of Galilee. Carbon 14 dating places the boat between 120 BC and AD 40.

DigiMark007
JIA without the colors.

Is it me, or is half this forum becoming ushome's copy/pasted threads and/or posts vs. everyone else's actual opinions and words?

Quit breaking up the forum Yoko.

*waits for others to come in and argue*

Shakyamunison
Gone With the Wind talks about real places and real events, but it is still a fictional story.

ushomefree
Oh cool it! Please. I didn't "copy and past" the information in this thread. I typed all from the "Apologetics Study Bible," which I purchased weeks ago. Regardless, why all the fuss?

ushomefree
The Bible--Old and New Testaments--make statments about "history." And Archaelogy helps establish the validity of the Bible. For example, read: "The First Temple Seal Found in Jerusalem." How you resort to stories like "Gone with the Wind," in comparison to the Bible is ridiculous, and it shows you bias towards the Bible. You don't even respect a 3,500 year old book, if only for its time and impact on the world.

DigiMark007

chickenlover98
Originally posted by ushomefree
Oh cool it! Please. I didn't "copy and past" the information in this thread. I typed all from the "Apologetics Study Bible," which I purchased weeks ago. Regardless, why all the fuss?

nw that u can quote, maybe, just maybe u could work on lowering the font size of most of your posts to say.....normal levels

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by DigiMark007

Is it me, or is half this forum becoming ushome's copy/pasted threads and/or posts vs. everyone else's actual opinions and words?

There's nothing wrong with that. A lot of opening posts begin with a news article or a Youtube clip. It's a way to get a discussion started.

chickenlover98
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
There's nothing wrong with that. A lot of opening posts begin with a news article or a Youtube clip. It's a way to get a discussion started.

when you do it every thread you start for the last 10-15 threads it is a problem

ushomefree
I appreciate the fair comment; thank you very much.

Shakyamunison
The Bible--Old and New Testaments--make statments about "history." And Archaelogy helps establish the validity of the Bible. For example, read: "The First Temple Seal Found in Jerusalem." How you resort to stories like "Gone with the Wind," in comparison to the Bible is ridiculous, and it shows you bias towards the Bible. You don't even respect a 3,500 year old book, if only for its time and impact on the world.

Before I show respect for the bible, I need to put it into perspective. It is a far more serious set of books then Gone With the Wind, but it is just a book written by humans. It is no better or worse than any holy book.

The bible is an extraordinary book. It has shaped the world in profound ways. But we humans are really good as finding patterns in randomness. We can see faces in a stucco wall. We evolved with this trait to survive. The person who can see the predator in the bushes first, lives, and has children that can see patterns.

That is all you are doing is seeing patterns in the words of the bible, but what you are seeing is only in your head.

What you are doing is post-diction, but we have been down this road.

ushomefree
Shakyamunison-

You need to lay off the peyote... grandpa. stupid

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

No no, we've been through this. It's fine if it supplements discussion....but sucks when it is their end of the discussion. Which is what ushome's and JIA's posts usually are.

Shakyamunison
Shakyamunison-

Peyote? So, you have nothing to say?

ushomefree
Fair enough; but putting the Bible into perspective isn't going to happen all by itself. Apathy is not the answer.

You are free to make that assumption, but the Bible asks all its readers to "test" it objectively. This requires effort and sincerity of the reader.

People rising from the dead happens all the time; definitely a pattern.

Right... Jesus' tomb really was occupied. The Jewish and Roman authorities didn't reveal Jesus' body because--well, deep down inside--they thought He was a cool guy.

And applying "postdiction" to the Bible--prophecy specifically--is incredibly shortsighted. I made reasonable efforts to substantiate this claim, but all you ever did was claim (over and over again), "It's postdiction ushome; it's postdiction."

Shakyamunison

chickenlover98
Shakyamunison-

o dear i believe he just made a funny stick out tongue

Boris
Tyre still exists.....

LOooooooooooooooooooooooooooLLLLLLLLlllllll

willRules
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Before I show respect for the bible, I need to put it into perspective. It is a far more serious set of books then Gone With the Wind, but it is just a book written by humans. It is no better or worse than any holy book.

The bible is an extraordinary book. It has shaped the world in profound ways. But we humans are really good as finding patterns in randomness. We can see faces in a stucco wall. We evolved with this trait to survive. The person who can see the predator in the bushes first, lives, and has children that can see patterns.

That is all you are doing is seeing patterns in the words of the bible, but what you are seeing is only in your head.

What you are doing is post-diction, but we have been down this road.

That's a good point but how does having this evolutionary trait make anything the Bible say any more or less true?

The statement you made doesn't account for the validity of the Bible. Maybe we are very good at finding patterns as part of our very nature, but couldn't it just as easily be argued that the patterns found in the Bible only confirm it's reliability.

The same thing could be used in an argument to support God's existence. I could really want to believe in God on a deep psychological level. I could drive myself insane with indoctrination and chants about God and even create my own version of God. I could be told that it is merely an evolutionary trait that helps me believe these things. But this doesn't tell us if God really exists or not, one way or another.

Back on point, there are more ancient historical records to confirm the reliability of the Bible more than any other ancient historical record. The real question comes down to whether you agree with it's spiritual points, which is a matter of faith and experience. yes

Shakyamunison

ushomefree
Christianity does have various denominations. Asking, "Which one is right," is unwarranted; no disrepect, but asking such a question reveals your lack of knowledge concerning the Christian faith and Bible. It is a "fair" question, nonetheless! All Christian denominations are in complete agreement regarding the fundamentals of Christianity, i.e., the Trinity, deity and resurrection of Jesus. Disagreement among the Christian Church entails peripheral matters, i.e., baptism, the validity of purgotary, and the age of the universe.

Analogy: take baseball, for example, each team has different players and management; and each team has different views on how the game should be won. Regardess, all teams must play by the rules! And all teams agree with the rules. Such is identical to Christian denominations.

Shakyamunison
Christianity does have various denominations. Asking, "Which one is right," is unwarranted; no disrepect, but asking such a question reveals your lack of knowledge concerning the Christian faith and Bible. It is a "fair" question, nonetheless! All Christian denominations are in complete agreement regarding the fundamentals of Christianity, i.e., the Trinity, deity and resurrection of Jesus. Disagreement among the Christian Church entails peripheral matters, i.e., baptism, the validity of purgotary, and the age of the universe.

Analogy: take baseball, for example, each team has different players and management; and each team has different views on how the game should be won. Regardess, all teams must play by the rules! And all teams agree with the rules. Such is identical to Christian denominations.

Please stop it with the condescending approach. To ask which is right, leads to my point that none of them are fully right. Why is it not warranted? You say things like this, but never say way or supply support to your claim.

Not true... There are some, on the list above, that do not believe in the trinity. Also, religions like Mormons are so different that some Christians do not view them as Christian.

Your Analogy can be applied to all religions in the world.

ushomefree

inimalist
This is true; of course! But not all religions can be correct.

How skeptical of you

do you follow it to its true end though?

"There is no reason to assume that any religion can be correct"

Shakyamunison

ushomefree
Why?

queeq
Quite off topic this.

Shakyamunison
Why?

They follow the teachings of Jesus.

Originally posted by queeq
Quite off topic this.

Ya, but what can I do?

queeq
Not respond anymore.

ushomefree
In what way?

Shakyamunison
In what way?

Not respond anymore.

We should move to the correct thread for this discussion.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=375165&from=thread&pagenumber=99#post10143183

queeq
laughing out loud

How's that on topic?

Shakyamunison
laughing out loud

How's that on topic?

I just moved it to the Mormon thread. confused

queeq
Ah.... clever. More threads off topic.

Quark_666
All Christian denominations are in complete agreement regarding the fundamentals of Christianity, i.e., the Trinity, deity and resurrection of Jesus.

And they are all in agreement that if someone asks you about the Christians before third century AD, he's a lunatic.

queeq
Pardon?

anaconda
an easy no.............just like the norse king saga, are they true, many passages of it yes but even when written in the 1200 they romanticised each event so you have to take it out of context and just dribble over it

Devil King
Old Testament

(1) Dead Sea Scrolls (discovered 1947-56, Qumran, Israel). Provided our oldest copies of almost all books of the Old Testament and confirmed reliability of the transmission process.

(2) Taylor Prism (discovered 1830, Nineveh, Iraq). Corroborates the compaigns of Sennacherib found in 2 Kg 18:13-19:37; 2 Ch 32:1-12; Is 36:1-37:38.

(3) House of David Inscriptions (discovered 1993-94, Tel Dan, Israel). Earliest mention outside the Bible of King David, who some scholars habe held to be a fictional character.

(4) Cylinder of Nabonidus (discovered 1854, Ur, Iraq). Corroborates Belshazzar as last king of Babylon as recorded in Daniel 5:1-30; 7:1; 8:1.

(5) Sargon Inscriptions (discovered 1843, Khorsabad, Iraq). Confirms the existence of Sargon, King of Assyria, Isaiah 20:1, as well as his conquering of Samaria (2 Kings 17:23-24).

(6) Tiglath-Pileser III Inscriptions (discovered 1845-49, Nimrud, Iraq). Corroborates 2 Kings 15:29).

(7) Black Obelisk of Shalmaneser (discovered 1846, Nimrud, Iraq). Depicts Jehu, son of Omri, oldest known picture of an ancient Israelite.

(8) Moabite Stone (discovered 1868, Palestine). Corroborates 2 King 3.

(9) Ketef Hinnom Amulets (discovered 1779, Jerusalem). Contains the Hebrew text of Numbers 6:24-26 and Deuteronomy 9:7. This is the oldest instance to date of of the Hebrew text of the Old Testament, 7th-6th century BC.

(10) Seal of Baruch (discovered early-mid 1970's, Jerusalem). Contains the phrase "belonging to Beruch son of Neriah," Jeremiah's scribe, 6th century BC.

(11) Epic of Gilgamesh (discovered 1853, Nineveh, Iraq). First extra-biblical find that appears to reference the great flood of Genesis 7-8.

(12) Weld-Blundell Prism (discovered 1922, Babylon, Iraq). Contains a list of Sumerian Kings that ruled before and after the great flood; the kings that pre-dated the flood are attributed enormous life spans reminiscent of, though greater than, the lifespans of pre-flood inhabitants of the Bible.

(13) Siloam Inscription (discovered 1880, Jerusalem). One of the few extinct Hebrew writings from the 8th century BC or earlier.

(14) Gedaliah Seal (discovered 1935, Lanchish, Israel). Corroborates 2 Kings 25:22

New Testament

(1) The Pilate Stone Inscription (discovered 1961, Caesarea Maritima). Confirmed the existence and office of Pilate.

(2) The Delphi, or Gallio, Inscription (discovered 1905). Fixed the date of Gallio's proconsulship at AD 51-52, providing a way of daiting Acts 18:12-17, and as a result, much of Paul's ministry.

(3) Caiaphas Ossuary (discovered 1990, near Jerusalem). Confirmed the existence of Caiaphas.

(4) Sergius Paulus Inscription (discovered 1877, Paphos, Cyprus). Confirms the existence of Sergius Paulus, proconsul of Cyprus encountered by Paul and Barnabus in Acts 13:7.

(5) Pool of Siloam (discovered 2004, Jerusalem). Site of Jesus' miracle recorded in John 9:1-11.

(6) Skeleton of Yohanan (discovered 1968, Jerusalem). Only known remains of crucifixion victim; corroborates the Bible's description of crucifixion.

(7) Rylands Papyrus P52 (discovered 1920). Oldest universally accepted manuscript of the New Testament, a small fragment of John's Gospel dated by papyrologists to AD 125.

(8) Bodmer Papyrus II (discovered 1952, Pabau, Egypt). Contains most of John's Gospel and dates from AD 150-200.

(9) Magdalene Papyrus (discovered 1901, Luxor, Egypt). Contains fragments of Matthew and has been dated as being earlier than 70 AD, though there is debate concerning the date.

(10) Chester Beatty Papyri (discovered 1931-35, Cairo, Egypt). Three papyri dating from AD 200 that contain most of the New Testament.

(11) Codex Vaticanus (discovered in the Vatican Library's earliest inventory ). Dated AD 325-50 and contains nearly complete Bible.

(12) Codex Sinaiticus (discovered 1859, Mt Sinai, Egypt). Codex contains nearly complete New Testament and over half of the Old Testament (the books at the beginning of the Bible appear to have been lost to damage), dated AD 350.

(13) 7Q5 (discovered 1955, Qumran, Israel). Possible fragment of Mark that can be dated no later than AD 68 which would mamke the oldest extant New Testament fragment confirmed.

(14) Galilee Boat (discovered 1986, near Tiberias, Israel). The boat, 30' x 8', held approximately 15 passengers and would be like the boats Jesus' disciples used in crossing the Sea of Galilee. Carbon 14 dating places the boat between 120 BC and AD 40.

The evidence validating all of these examples is no more or less substantial that that used to validate the Tomb of Jesus. Should we also consider that as plausible?

anaconda
or the fact that they found remains in the so called archeological tomb of jesus

queeq
Originally posted by Devil King
The evidence validating all of these examples is no more or less substantial that that used to validate the Tomb of Jesus. Should we also consider that as plausible?

That's a bit harsh. These things do show a pattern which points to a certain reliability of the events described in the Bible.

Adam_PoE
That's a bit harsh. These things do show a pattern which points to a certain reliability of the events described in the Bible.

It is called "historical fiction."

queeq
Huh? What is? The Bible? I think you have it wrong. the term usually applied here is fictionalised history.

Adam_PoE
Huh? What is? The Bible? I think you have it wrong. the term usually applied here is fictionalised history.

The DaVinci Code contains historical figures and describes real places and events, but it is still fiction.

queeq
That is fiction, admittedly so by Brown himself. Plus he got his facts quite wrong as well, most of his 'facts' were fiction. Who said the Bible was written as fiction?

Shakyamunison
That is fiction, admittedly so by Brown himself. Plus he got his facts quite wrong as well, most of his 'facts' were fiction. Who said the Bible was written as fiction?

Come on, most of the stories in the OT are just that stories. They have meaning, but I would never take them literally.

queeq
Well, if these people really existed, why would you doubt the stories. Why if places and larger events took place, should you start picking and choosing what is true and what is not? And if you do, what standards are you gonna apply what line is true and what line is not?

Shakyamunison
Well, if these people really existed, why would you doubt the stories. Why if places and larger events took place, should you start picking and choosing what is true and what is not? And if you do, what standards are you gonna apply what line is true and what line is not?

Most good stories have real places but the people and what they did are fictional. The human face could not have started with two people.

anaconda
no cause that would really really ruin the "great" <---- what??? laughing song by Air Supply "Two Less Lonely People In The World"

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by anaconda
no cause that would really really ruin the "great" <---- what??? laughing song by Air Supply "Two Less Lonely People In The World"

laughing I'm not awake yet.

Race is the word...

chickenlover98
Come on, most of the stories in the OT are just that stories. They have meaning, but I would never take them literally.

agreed, a perso who can split a sea by raising him arms is......unlikely

Quark_666
Originally posted by chickenlover98
agreed, a perso who can split a sea by raising him arms is......unlikely

You wouldn't doubt him if he were Chuck Norris' ancestor would you?

Devil King

So god embellishes?

Robtard

I have a question, do you take everything in the Bible literally, or just the parts you happen to agree with/coincide with your agenda? If the latter, where do you draw the line and say "that's fiction; that's factual", when deciding between two or more unlikely scenarios?

Was there really a great flood and we're all descendants of just one man and his family? Did Moses factually part the sea? Was there a gigantic sea monster (Leviathan) that God personally slew? Did God really take human form?

Adam_PoE

queeq
Originally posted by Robtard
I have a question, do you take everything in the Bible literally, or just the parts you happen to agree with/coincide with your agenda? If the latter, where do you draw the line and say "that's fiction; that's factual", when deciding between two or more unlikely scenarios?

Was there really a great flood and we're all descendants of just one man and his family? Did Moses factually part the sea? Was there a gigantic sea monster (Leviathan) that God personally slew? Did God really take human form?

Well, I think the Bible contains history but it's told with a magnifying glass. And there is good reason why many scholars believe that the Bible is fictional. But I will not be getting into the whole complex chronological debate here. But that's what all this has to do with.

In any case, you have to look into these stories bit by bit. There's a lot you can't prove, but as I said before, if there is data that EVENTS took place, why would you doubt the rest of the story. No one can prove that waters were parted, or that lightning strick at particular times. In other words, you can't prove the miracles but you can investigate if the EVENTS took place.

Like a flood... there is plenty of evidence (not only from other sources, but geological and archaeological evidence s well) that major floods took place in Mesoptamia around 5000 BC or something like that. THere weren't global but major local floods. Now, here's the trick. The original Biblical text does not exclude a local flood, it could very wel have been that way. And since most of civilisation lived in Mesopotamia in those days (again: archaeological evidence) it prolly would have been a major catastrophy.

So if someone survived such a flood, it's not likely he told his story. That's about as far as proving or disproving goes. But the event of a flood is quite provable.

The same goes for Asiatic settlements in Egypt, conquest of Jericho and basically from king Rehaboam on we're on very solid ground of these characters being actual historical figures.

But to get all this into perspective I'd have to go into an chronological debate that spans over 2000 years and all Mediterranean civilisations in that period. There is a solid story there, IMHO.

queeq
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
By your reasoning, The Tudors is non-fiction, because the series features historical events, figures, and locations.

What's The Tudors? Never heard of it.

But don't play smart. If it's fiction, it's fiction. If they use factual evidence, they use it. If you can show stuff is wrong, it's wrong. If it's invented, it's invented. There's plenty of opportunity to check that.

In case of the Bible, give us a reason why it's fiction.

Robtard
Well, I think the Bible contains history but it's told with a magnifying glass. And there is good reason why many scholars believe that the Bible is fictional. But I will not be getting into the whole complex chronological debate here. But that's what all this has to do with.

In any case, you have to look into these stories bit by bit. There's a lot you can't prove, but as I said before, if there is data that EVENTS took place, why would you doubt the rest of the story. No one can prove that waters were parted, or that lightning strick at particular times. In other words, you can't prove the miracles but you can investigate if the EVENTS took place.

Like a flood... there is plenty of evidence (not only from other sources, but geological and archaeological evidence s well) that major floods took place in Mesoptamia around 5000 BC or something like that. THere weren't global but major local floods. Now, here's the trick. The original Biblical text does not exclude a local flood, it could very wel have been that way. And since most of civilisation lived in Mesopotamia in those days (again: archaeological evidence) it prolly would have been a major catastrophy.

So if someone survived such a flood, it's not likely he told his story. That's about as far as proving or disproving goes. But the event of a flood is quite provable.

The same goes for Asiatic settlements in Egypt, conquest of Jericho and basically from king Rehaboam on we're on very solid ground of these characters being actual historical figures.

But to get all this into perspective I'd have to go into an chronological debate that spans over 2000 years and all Mediterranean civilisations in that period. There is a solid story there, IMHO.

Pretty sure the Bible states that God flooded the Earth, as a means to kill everyone, with the exception of Noah, his family and the animals he took aboard the Arc.

To the point though, why not take this story literally, as it is written and not try to make it more possible by adding likely probabilities, eg it was only a local flood etc. While other stories like a virgin becoming pregnant and giving birth to a man-God, are taken literally without probable exceptions added?

Adam_PoE

chickenlover98
Originally posted by Quark_666
You wouldn't doubt him if he were Chuck Norris' ancestor would you?

he cant be his ancestor seeing as the Almighty Norris is eternal. so if anyone split the sea is was Chuck himself

queeq
Who are your mainstream archaeologists, AdamPoe? And what is their take on a possible faulty chronology on which the assesment of these people never existing all hinges on?

There is at leats one piece of hard evidence that suggest David di exist by the way:the famous Tel Dan Stele. It's from a later date than the supposed king David but it does mention the HOUSE OF DAVID. That at least hint at a possible existence.

Devil King
In case of the Bible, give us a reason why it's fiction.

Because people made it up.

queeq
I guess people made Julius Caesar up, and Ramesses II, and Napoleon, and the Middle Ages. And the Battle of Hastings, or the War of Independence of the US... All manipulative fiction to deceive people.

Adam_PoE
Who are your mainstream archaeologists, AdamPoe? And what is their take on a possible faulty chronology on which the assesment of these people never existing all hinges on?

The belief that the lack of archaeological attestation of biblical figures is due to errors in the traditional chronology or the dating of archaeological strata have been rejected outright by the scientific community and refuted in detail.

There is at leats one piece of hard evidence that suggest David di exist by the way:the famous Tel Dan Stele. It's from a later date than the supposed king David but it does mention the HOUSE OF DAVID. That at least hint at a possible existence.

Apologetics frequently refer to two inscriptions on the Tel Dan Stele as supporting evidence for The Bible. Missing from both inscriptions however, are typographical symbols that would allow for this favorable translation. Not to mention that other proposed translations are more consistent with cultures in the geographical area during the time of the inscriptions.

Devil King
I guess people made Julius Caesar up, and Ramesses II, and Napoleon, and the Middle Ages. And the Battle of Hastings, or the War of Independence of the US... All manipulative fiction to deceive people.

Not at all. But, what you dismiss are claims of divine intervention made by several of the personalities you've mentioned. You dismiss their claims of godly patronage simply based on your personal choices about this mythology or that one.

Would you now like to look back through history and see how many times events mentioned in Egyptian or Roman history coincide with a claim of divine intervention and actual events; how many places described in other culture's religious texts and mythology actually exist? Because those claims are made in every culture's history; it's what kings and queens used to legitimize their divine authority over their people. However, you seem to dismiss the possiblities that the Jews did the same, that they were somehow right or special for doing exactly the same thing done by every other culture that got up and crawled out of the desert and decided not to live in caves anyore. Just becaue the Jews were relatively late to the party in respect to their use of common mythology and archetypes, doesn't mean they were the first or last ones to do it; neither were they, in my opinion, the most creative or logical ones to do so.

I won't get caught up in the symantics of the inclusion or exclusion of the word of in this situation, but I will point out the fact that the Tel Dan stele does more to dismiss the divine influence in the victory mentioned, than it does to bolster the biblical claims of an all-powerful, infinite being actually deeming human events interesting enough to come down and play politics with the ants.

But, by all means Queeq, explain to me which parts of it prove the bible correct? Pull out your bible and go through Kings and Judges. I'm talking dates, alliances, armies and revolts. Let's hear them. Because as mentioned before, language is an important part of the debate surrounding this particular relic, as you want it to be, but it's not the only one.

queeq
To be frank, everything from Solomon back towards the beginning of the Bible, there is with the currently accepted chronological model little or no evidence for these events. With the possible exception of an major flood around 5000 BC. (the Black Sea finds and geological explorations at archaeological digsites of places like Uruk).

From Rehaboam (son of Solomon) there's quite a bit of evidence for these kings to exist. Lamalek jar handles, Assyrian texts mentioning kings from the Bible and archaeological evidence for the building works of Omri (you can read all about that in the books of Israel Finkelstein).

Before that, the current chronological model in dating strata (and therefore the archaeological layers where to look for evidence of these characters) show no correlation. However, this chronological model is gaining a growing criticism. Maybe its most explicit problem known to everyone is the strange and archaeologically apparent totally unnecessary dark age in Greek history of about 300 years. If that Dark Age would be eliminated (since this gap is only created by Egyptian chronology) then we'd have to go looking for United Monarchy King and the judges periods in earlier strata. And that surprisingly surrenders excellent correlations with the Biblical events.

Devil King
I asked about the stele in question. We can take these one at a time if you like, but stay on the topic at hand. I wasn't talking about the whole of those books, only those parts relevant to the Tel Dan Stele. Don't muddy the waters with broad, ambigious statements that aren't pertinent to the discussion at hand.

queeq
No you didn't. Check it out, you never mentioned it.

Not at all. But, what you dismiss are claims of divine intervention made by several of the personalities you've mentioned. You dismiss their claims of godly patronage simply based on your personal choices about this mythology or that one.

Would you now like to look back through history and see how many times events mentioned in Egyptian or Roman history coincide with a claim of divine intervention and actual events; how many places described in other culture's religious texts and mythology actually exist? Because those claims are made in every culture's history; it's what kings and queens used to legitimize their divine authority over their people. However, you seem to dismiss the possiblities that the Jews did the same, that they were somehow right or special for doing exactly the same thing done by every other culture that got up and crawled out of the desert and decided not to live in caves anyore. Just becaue the Jews were relatively late to the party in respect to their use of common mythology and archetypes, doesn't mean they were the first or last ones to do it; neither were they, in my opinion, the most creative or logical ones to do so.

I won't get caught up in the symantics of the inclusion or exclusion of the word of in this situation, but I will point out the fact that the Tel Dan stele does more to dismiss the divine influence in the victory mentioned, than it does to bolster the biblical claims of an all-powerful, infinite being actually deeming human events interesting enough to come down and play politics with the ants.

But, by all means Queeq, explain to me which parts of it prove the bible correct? Pull out your bible and go through Kings and Judges. I'm talking dates, alliances, armies and revolts. Let's hear them. Because as mentioned before, language is an important part of the debate surrounding this particular relic, as you want it to be, but it's not the only one.

What do you want? You ask a question, I answer it. Getting too complex for ya?

Devil King
No you didn't. Check it out, you never mentioned it.

Beyond that being the subject of our interaction, you must not really know what the stele is addressing or which particular books of the bible it is apparently substantiating, in it's broken and mostly ambigious statements, which you claim proves the existence of god. But I'll point it out for you if you need me to:

But, by all means Queeq, explain to me -------->>>>>>which parts of it prove the bible correct?<<<<------- Pull out your bible and go through Kings and Judges. I'm talking dates, alliances, armies and revolts. Let's hear them. Because as mentioned before, language is an important part of the debate surrounding-------->>>>> this particular relic<<<<<--------------, as you want it to be, but it's not the only one.

I'm sorry, who is confused? Only someone who is unclear would assume I asked you to pull out your bible to prove your bible correct; that's creationist logic for you.

WrathfulDwarf
In regards to the topic. Something was there...the evidence doesn't lie. How we interpret the evidence is more like detective work. Archeology helps and I'm all for it. Let's see what else can be found.

Because people made it up.

But do we really know this or simply made the assumption? Because if we play the game of "prove that it did existed" you will win now, but eventually lose. Simply because, we are aware of your existance so you win the game now.

However, centuries from now when our world have change and generations have passed. How would you prove your existance? (I do acknowledge you are mortal and there is no way for you to prove your existance in the future) you lose here. Heck! There are millions of people in the world at this time that don't even know that I exist. Unless I become famous they'll know I exist.

Sucks to be me and not been known...but damn it, I exist!

willRules
I'm not one to just randomly post links but I found these youtube videos that I think quite succinctly argue the case for the historical reliability of the Bible much better than I could.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SekR-QHCXVU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBfYKh21qdA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS_1IqqxmMU&feature=related

That's the first three parts but it's easy to find the rest by clicking on the links on the left of the video playing yes

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
In regards to the topic. Something was there...the evidence doesn't lie. How we interpret the evidence is more like detective work. Archeology helps and I'm all for it. Let's see what else can be found.

But do we really know this or simply made the assumption? Because if we play the game of "prove that it did existed" you will win now, but eventually lose. Simply because, we are aware of your existance so you win the game now.

However, centuries from now when our world have change and generations have passed. How would you prove your existance? (I do acknowledge you are mortal and there is no way for you to prove your existance in the future) you lose here. Heck! There are millions of people in the world at this time that don't even know that I exist. Unless I become famous they'll know I exist.

Sucks to be me and not been known...but damn it, I exist!

Given enough time, even if you are famous now, in the future, no one will know you existed. All things fade and change.

The stories of the bible have been told and retold over generations before they were written down. Take the story of Noah for example. this story was most likely adapted from the sorry of Gilgamesh.

WrathfulDwarf
Given enough time, even if you are famous now, in the future, no one will know you existed. All things fade and change.

Thank you!

My thougths in a different way but with the same essence. Even evidence that is not found is bound to be consume by time. Leaving us to ponder "did it really happen?" Better hurry! Once it's gone it's gone.

Well, I take that back...those damn fossils sure last long.

wink

Shakyamunison
Thank you!

My thougths in a different way but with the same essence. Even evidence that is not found is bound to be consume by time. Leaving us to ponder "did it really happen?" Better hurry! Once it's gone it's gone.

Well, I take that back...those damn fossils sure last long.

wink

But when looking into the vastness of time, even fossils are short lived.

queeq
Beyond that being the subject of our interaction, you must not really know what the stele is addressing or which particular books of the bible it is apparently substantiating, in it's broken and mostly ambigious statements, which you claim proves the existence of god.

I didn't claim anything. You have troubles reading properly. All I said the Tell Dan stele MENTIONS THE HOUSE OF DAVID, which may point to the existence of King David as a real person. RBYP

Beyond that being the subject of our interaction, you must not really know what the stele is addressing or which particular books of the bible it is apparently substantiating, in it's broken and mostly ambigious statements, which you claim proves the existence of god. But I'll point it out for you if you need me to:

I'm sorry, who is confused? Only someone who is unclear would assume I asked you to pull out your bible to prove your bible correct; that's creationist logic for you.

Since you start calling names, ask for one thing forst then another and act all insulted, I can only conclude you don't want to go into this seriously.

If you think it's all BS, think it. You're entitled to. But there are some people that may actually want to discuss this issue. If you don;t like it, go to a thread you DO like.

Besides I never said any evidence proves the existence of God. All I'm saying that it is too easy to dismiss all the characters and events in the Bible as fiction.

Ramesses II claimed Amon guided him when he rode out into battle at Kadesh against the Hittites. Now that doesn't prove Amon exists, but the mention of a god also doesn't mean Kadesh never existed or the batte never took place.

Devil King

Look at the last few posts by Queeq. He totally dismisses the validity of similar claims made by other cultures. Should we totally dismiss the claims made by, his own example, Ramses the Great, who claimed to be the living embodiment of Horus on Earth; who thanked the gods for victories? And the same with Caesar? But, we get so tied up in the idea that religion (and christianity in particular) is more deserving of our respect and consideration that we end up feeling something akin to guilt over dismissing it. Well, there's 0, none, nadda, less than any, conclusive proof that the fantastical claims made by the jews were any more or less real than any other divine claim made by any other ancient people.

And we do it for all religions. Islam and Hinduism and Christianity all have archaeological correspondance to their claims of places and events that apparently were divine in nature. So, if the thread starter and those who feel the way he does, want us to consider their evidence any more substial than similar evidence that bolsters the religion of Islam, they're going to have to come up with something that removes all doubt and settles the claim, outright. But they won't. And this is because the whole notion of a god that is interested enough in us to come down here or whisper in someone's ear, is a man-made delusion. I don't, with any measure of certainty, dismiss the idea of a greater power, in fact, I believe it. But what I do dismiss is the idea that such a higher power is concerned with keeping a list and checking it twice to find out who's naughty and nice. It's absolutely crazy to apply human limitations to god, or ascribe god-like characteristics to a man. 400 years from now, we may very well believe that Ghandi was assassinated for our sins. It's human arrogance to dismiss the virtues of other religions. Every single major religion on this planet is preceded by far older religions that lasted a lot longer than the ones we bandy around today.

Shakyamunison
Look at the last few posts by Queeq. He totally dismisses the validity of similar claims made by other cultures. Should we totally dismiss the claims made by, his own example, Ramses the Great, who claimed to be the living embodiment of Horus on Earth; who thanked the gods for victories? And the same with Caesar? But, we get so tied up in the idea that religion (and christianity in particular) is more deserving of our respect and consideration that we end up feeling something akin to guilt over dismissing it. Well, there's 0, none, nadda, less than any, conclusive proof that the fantastical claims made by the jews were any more or less real than any other divine claim made by any other ancient people.

And we do it for all religions. Islam and Hinduism and Christianity all have archaeological correspondance to their claims of places and events that apparently were divine in nature. So, if the thread starter and those who feel the way he does, want us to consider their evidence any more substial than similar evidence that bolsters the religion of Islam, they're going to have to come up with something that removes all doubt and settles the claim, outright. But they won't. And this is because the whole notion of a god that is interested enough in us to come down here or whisper in someone's ear, is a man-made delusion. I don't with any measure of certainty dismiss the idea of a greater power, in fact, I believe it. But what I do dismiss is the idea that that higher power is concerned with keeping a list and checking it twice to find out who's naughty and nice. It's absolutely crazy to apply human limitations to god, or as scribe god-like characteristics to a man. 400 years from now, we may very well believe that Ghandi was assassinated for our sins. It's human arrogance to dismiss the virtues of other religions. Every single major religion on this planet is proeded by far older religionsthat lasted a lot longer than the ones we bandy around today.

Cosigned. thumb up

Devil King
Since you start calling names, ask for one thing forst then another and act all insulted, I can only conclude you don't want to go into this seriously.

If you think it's all BS, think it. You're entitled to. But there are some people that may actually want to discuss this issue. If you don;t like it, go to a thread you DO like.

Besides I never said any evidence proves the existence of God. All I'm saying that it is too easy to dismiss all the characters and events in the Bible as fiction.

I called you no names. Unless you're considering 'creationist" name calling; in which case you have no business defending the validity of the bible.

And if you are arguing the validity of the bible, then you are arguing the validity of the christian god. Don't accuse me of dismissive behavior when you have repeatedly, along with the guy who started the thread, dismissed the religious claims made by every other religion that has preceded or followed the establishment of your own.

"You have your opinion of reality, and I'll have mine!". Well, that logic hasn't worked out too well for the last 2000 years, has it?

Or is this
Getting too complex for ya?

queeq
Well, you do seem to be dodging every thing I present here. And I find you fairly aggressive.

If we're talking about evidence for the Bible, we would be looking for things described in the Bible confirmed in archaeology or contemporary eprigraphical material right? I mean, that's not an unfair assumption?

Creationism, proof of God... come on.. that's not what this thread is about. You drag all kinds of things in here that have nothing to do with it. One cannot prove or disprove the existence of God, that's a given and we can't do anything with that. It's matter of faith.

But to dismiss the Bible as an historical document because it also talks about God is a very strange starting point. All ancient historical sources refer to the influence of gods. Yet, we do not dismiss their campaignslist or boasting victories over nations as nonsense. I think we should look at the Bible from the same POV: Is tehre evidence the biblical characters existed and that events describe in the Bible actually took place? One can do that just fine without an exact proof of every little details described.

For instance, we cannot prove that God parted the waters of the Red Sea (or more accurately the Reed Sea). But we can investigate whether Asiatics lived in the Nile Delta at that time, what kind of water it was and if by some natural phenomenon it's known that these waters can dry up instantly. If that research would show a positive result, one can at least conclude that such an event may have taken place. Does that prove it? No. But it does say there is no reason to assume it DIDN'T take place. Especially since the Bible in the early text clearly shows influences in customs, mention of certain cities and language, that there were at least some original sources involved. Either in writing it as an original text that got slightly updated later on, or that older texts lay at the basis of its final compilation.

And all this is perfectly debatable without going into it so aggressively as you certainly do.

queeq

I do not dismiss anything, I was making a point. You don't seem to be able to read very well.

We may dismiss Ramesses as the living embodiment of Horus on Earth, but it's completely irresponsible to dismiss him as an historical character. And that is what you do.

Plus you make many assumptions that you make up yourself. The Bible is a comprehensive book that may or may not span a history of Palestine for nearly 2000 years. If reliable it would be a very important source for ancietn historical reserach. The same as all the Egyptian king lists, the Assyrian king lists and Babylonian. All the epigraphical material from te Hittites etc etc... All of them together would allow us to understand the old world.

And if you say there is no proof that ANYONE in the Bible (from Adam to Jesus) EVER EVER existed, than you are deluded and totally devoid of any knowledge about ancient history. And yet, you dare make such vile claims against anyone giving some insight in the matter.

queeq
But what I do dismiss is the idea that such a higher power is concerned with keeping a list and checking it twice to find out who's naughty and nice. It's absolutely crazy to apply human limitations to god, or ascribe god-like characteristics to a man.

See? The only one linking divine intervention with historical research is you. I don't know what your problem is, but you seem to have some bad experiences in your life on religious matters.

I will yet stress again, I NEVER EVER made any claims that the Bible is reliable because it's called the Word of God, or that'the stories in the Bible are true because they talk about God. This label, my friend, is what you try to stick on me.

Devil King
I NEVER EVER made any claims that the Bible is reliable

Fine, I'm willing to accept that your religious beliefs are based on a flawed and incomplete understanding of humanity and its history. God doesn't exist and Jesus was just a regular guy. Sorry for misunderstanding your point. I don't think the bible is valid either, sorry we didn't both realize we were saying that.

cheers

leonheartmm
if it is neither reliable nor true, then why do you follow it?

queeq
Who said it wasn't reliable other than DK? And he never gave any other argument than saying:""Because people made it up." That's it. Very deep insights this guys has... NOT.

Fine, I'm willing to accept that your religious beliefs are based on a flawed and incomplete understanding of humanity and its history. God doesn't exist and Jesus was just a regular guy. Sorry for misunderstanding your point. I don't think the bible is valid either, sorry we didn't both realize we were saying that.

cheers

DK is a master at misquoting and manipulation. His aim is never to have a decent debate, just to be right. That's why he stoops to aggressive wordplay, sarcasm and patronisation. Quite sad really.

Quark_666
DK is a master at misquoting and manipulation. His aim is never to have a decent debate, just to be right. That's why he stoops to aggressive wordplay, sarcasm and patronisation. Quite sad really.

I wouldn't know. But queeq, I think everybody is a master at misunderstand you. ...sorry, no offense...but It's hard to tell what you think sometimes sad

For example, until recently, I used to think you were an ID supporter.

queeq
I try to keep an open mind, that helps me develop insights. I don't stick to one way of explaining things. I have my ideas and beliefs, but they're not always suited in every debate.

In this case it is quite striking that words are put in my mouth and assumptions are made about me without my posts giving any reason for it.

But this is the way it goes around here I guess. A thread is about facts and people onyl look at or assume your background and conclude taht everything you say is BS or not, just based on that (alleged or not) background. Arguments don't count, only where you come from. For me that's not open minded, but dogmatic.

Devil King
Who said it wasn't reliable other than DK? And he never gave any other argument than saying:""Because people made it up." That's it. Very deep insights this guys has... NOT.

Yeah, I'm a deciever and a manipulator. What's next, going to call me evil and corrupt? Are you going to blame me for tempting humanity with things like facts and understanding?

But, you're right. I was too affraid to have a real debate, so we can start over.

Why are you defending the legitimacy of the bible? Is it because you don't subscribe to the idea of god as set forth in the christian bible?

queeq
I was not defending the legitimatcy of the Bible, I was saying that as an historical document we shouldn't so easily dismiss it. It's not just a book filled with religious sayings.

Again, you try to label me without reason. Unlike me. I'd never say you're evil. Corrupt I cannot prove, but I can show you intentionally misquote me to place me in a certain light so you can diss me. That is, in short, not fair and not very nice. Do with it as you will.

Devil King
I will yet stress again, I NEVER EVER made any claims that the Bible is reliable because it's called the Word of God, or that'the stories in the Bible are true because they talk about God. This label, my friend, is what you try to stick on me.

So, you're not a christian?

queeq
Am I wrong to assume that if I say yes, everything I say will be dismissed by you beforehand? If so, any debate with someone who is not like-minded is useless for you.

You kinda seem to steer into a direction where you want people to condemn you. Why is that? Had some bad experiences?

Devil King
Am I wrong to assume that if I say yes, everything I say will be dismissed by you beforehand? If so, any debate with someone who is not like-minded is useless for you.

You kinda seem to steer into a direction where you want people to condemn you. Why is that? Had some bad experiences?

I haven't dismissed anything other than what you profess to be facts, but are not; just vague speculation and surface understanding about the subject. Anyone can look this stuff up on Wiki, but that doesn't tell you everything. I know more about this subject, apparently, and have no issues debating you but you seem to be scared to do so. Obviousy you want to draw me into a childish argument about everything BUT the subject of the thread.

I didn't wake up one day and suddenly decide that my roman catholic upbringing was a farce. It took me a while to drill out the shit that was drilled in; which was done over the course of a 12 year catholic school education.

You believe in desert superstitions and ancient explainations for bad things happening; I'll tell you why it's silly.

Regret
While there is evidence of some of the people and places presented in the Bible, it does not necessitate evidence for the claims to miracles or supernatural intervention. While I believe in the Bible, and miracles stated therein, there is no scientific evidence of the miracles claimed therein actually having occurred.

Devil King
Originally posted by Regret
While there is evidence of some of the people and places presented in the Bible, it does not necessitate evidence for the claims to miracles or supernatural intervention. While I believe in the Bible, and miracles stated therein, there is no scientific evidence of the miracles claimed therein actually having occurred.

That's a fun way of saying that faith requires no proof.

Adam_PoE
Who said it wasn't reliable other than DK?

I did as well.

One of these things is not like the others:

I was not defending the legitimatcy of the Bible . . .

. . . as an historical document we shouldn't so easily dismiss it.

It's not just a book filled with religious sayings.

That is precisely what it is.

queeq
Then you never read it.

II didn't wake up one day and suddenly decide that my roman catholic upbringing was a farce. It took me a while to drill out the shit that was drilled in; which was done over the course of a 12 year catholic school education.

I knew there was some youth trauma involved.

And I can discuss it with you, you just never respond to any of my posts. I too, know quite a lot about the matter. For over seven years I did a lot of research in this field, and talked to many esteemed archaeologists and historians from all over the world (from Manfred Bietak to Geoffrey Martin (egyptologists), from Aren Maeir to Othmar Keel, and many in between). I made several documentaries on the matter and even though I do not believe we should hold on to a children's book view of the Bible (as often taught in some schools!) it's complete nonsense to dismiss everything written in there as BS.

chickenlover98
Then you never read it.

And I can discuss it with you, you just never respond to any of my posts. I too, know quite a lot about the matter. For over seven years I did a lot of research in this field, and talked to many esteemed archaeologists and historians from all over the world (from Manfred Bietak to Geoffrey Martin (egyptologists), from Aren Maeir to Othmar Keel, and many in between). I made several documentaries on the matter and even though I do not believe we should hold on to a children's book view of the Bible (as often taught in some schools!) it's complete nonsense to dismiss everything written in there as BS. no its not. it is easy to dismss the bible. very easy, and i assure you, no one loses anything. he said that he learned other than his upbringing through experiences in the real world, not the catholic one.

Devil King
Then you never read it.

And I can discuss it with you, you just never respond to any of my posts. I too, know quite a lot about the matter. For over seven years I did a lot of research in this field, and talked to many esteemed archaeologists and historians from all over the world (from Manfred Bietak to Geoffrey Martin (egyptologists), from Aren Maeir to Othmar Keel, and many in between). I made several documentaries on the matter and even though I do not believe we should hold on to a children's book view of the Bible (as often taught in some schools!) it's complete nonsense to dismiss everything written in there as BS.

If you're so esteemed, then why are you so scared? You're the coward here, not me. I will discuss this subject with you until you're blue in the face. And while we're at it, I don't have to pretend my aim buddy list is teeming with bankable personalities.

As I have said before, KMC is dripping with assumed experts taking on the lowly mantle of annonymous intellects, but they never seem to validate their claims with anything substantial. If you want to test me, then toss out the challenge. I don't rely on wikipedia, but I do have a lot of years of study and a library's worth of books behind me.

Oh, and by the way, I just read an email from god; he says he wants his false ego back.

Robtard
Then you never read it.

Which documentaries?

queeq
If you're so esteemed, then why are you so scared? You're the coward here, not me. I will discuss this subject with you until you're blue in the face. And while we're at it, I don't have to pretend my aim buddy list is teeming with bankable personalities.

So far all you have contributed to the debate is: The Bible is fiction, because people made it up. And I know so, because I had a traumatic childhood at Catholic school... I dunno... doesn't sound much like a debate.

And I never said I was esteemed. Thank you for misquoting me again.

Devil King
So far all you have contributed to the debate is: The Bible is fiction, because people made it up. And I know so, because I had a traumatic childhood at Catholic school... I dunno... doesn't sound much like a debate.

And I never said I was esteemed. Thank you for misquoting me again.

Yeah, I had a really traumatic childhood. I was addressing the religion, not the education.

I've asked you no less than three times what aspects of the bible you want to talk about, and you've dodged it every time.

I'm also not the one lying about my credentials and name dropping some people you looked up on the net. No, you didn't say you were esteemed, you just lied about personal correspondance with scientists and being a documentary film maker....sorry for misunderstanding your boasting.

So, do you plan on answering Robtard's question, or will you just go on pretending no one else in this thread is holding you to your bullshit lies, other than me?

queeq
I've raised many points for debate by now. You either have trouble reading or you enjoy your anti-religious rants too much.

Originally posted by Robtard
Which documentaries?

One: Footsteps of Goliath (aired among others by the European broadcaster ARTE)
Adaptation of Pharaohs and Kings (5 50 minute documentaries)
Unlocking the Secrets of the Shroud

Devil King
I've raised many points for debate by now. You either have trouble reading or you enjoy your religious rants too much.

Yeah, I must. There's a great quote function on this site, maybe you can point them out.

Do these documentaires have imdb links? Maybe a site where we can see your name listed in the credits?

queeq
You're also lazy. Never heard of Google?

Devil King
You're also lazy. Never heard of Google?

what good is google goiong to do when I don't know the name of the documentary film maker that graces us with his presence?

queeq
You ARE lazy. Makes me doubt you ever read any books, despite your unsubstantiated claims you did.

Devil King
You ARE lazy. Makes me doubt you ever read any books, despite your unsubstantiated claims you did.

So, what's your name?

Robtard
I've raised many points for debate by now. You either have trouble reading or you enjoy your anti-religious rants too much.

I watched a History Channel documentary (I enjoy documentaries) on the Shroud of Turin, it was based at least in part off Lavoie's book. Is this your work?

queeq
Dunno... mine was entirely basedon lavio's work. So I doubt, it was for th US video sales market some 10 years ago.

So, what's your name?

Told you you wouldn't believe me. Sow hat's the point?

Devil King
Dunno... mine was entirely basedon lavio's work. So I doubt, it was for th US video sales market some 10 years ago.

Told you you wouldn't believe me. Sow hat's the point?

Well, prove me wrong.

Robtard

I'm also fairly certain I've seen the Goliath one too, as I can't imagine there'd be two similar Docs on Goliath and the possibility that he suffered from gigantism (which I've thought as a cause of the story for years). What is your name, if you don't mind?

queeq
Never on the boards.

Well, prove me wrong.

I don't think I ever can. Because you are always right.

Devil King
Because you are always right.

Not always, but I am in this case.

You don't have to post it. Send it to Robtard via PM and he'll check it out and let everyone know what's what.

queeq
Why would I? You don't believe me anyway. I don't feel like having to prove my existence. Maybe I am just the creation of your god-like mind.

Devil King
You're just a liar, that's all. Baby Jesus doesn't like liars.

I'm not saying you don't exist, what kind of a stupid accusation is that?

queeq
You're just a liar, that's all.

Good thing you don't call names. But you are right, Dk, you are right. Of course.

Devil King
Good thing you don't call names. But you are right, Dk, you are right. Of course.

Thank you for admitting that you have been lying. I hope the lesson you take away from it is that it's easier not to do it in the first place.

queeq
You are right , DK, you are always right.

Devil King
You are right , DK, you are always right.

And you lie a lot.

queeq
You have proof of course for all the truth you speak.

Devil King
You have proof of course for all the truth you speak.

I haven't made any claims, other than stating I've spent a lot of time studying history.

queeq
Prove it.

Devil King
Prove it.

I tried to engage you in a discussion, but you wanted to talk about everything except the topic. You wanted to cry about me not respecting your religious beliefs, rather than countering the points made by myself and others. I asked you to list the things you wanted to discuss, maybe even the topics listed in the first post of this thread, but you refused and tried to shut down the conversation by saying you knew it all because you made documentaries. When I asked for some substatiation on that, you started telling me I woudn't believe you anyway.

queeq
I tried to engage you in a discussion, but you wanted to talk about everything except the topic. You wanted to cry about me not respecting your religious beliefs.

You are, unfortunately, sadly mistaken. You must have confused me with someone else. I never ever talked about my religious beliefs in this thread. You are the one who brought it up, and some others, but not me.

The only point I ever made was saying that one shouldn't so easily dismiss the Bible as a potentially historical document. The religious rants came from you.

All you gibbered on about was the meaning of the Tel Dan stele. All I said about that is that it mentioned the House of David (Per Dud). As far as I know I never heard anyone object to that reading.

Just to refresh the undoubtedly great memory of you, My Lord, the posts themselves:

And then came the answer of the oracle:

I will point out the fact that the Tel Dan stele does more to dismiss the divine influence in the victory mentioned, than it does to bolster the biblical claims of an all-powerful, infinite being actually deeming human events interesting enough to come down and play politics with the ants.

Now, of course, I'm not as enlightened as you are, but for some reason the reply doesn't particularly match my post, nor your claims of me crying about my religious beliefs.

Does that count as proof, my Lord?

queeq
And you never proved your claim about studying the matter.

Devil King
You are, unfortunately, sadly mistaken. You must have confused me with someone else. I never ever talked about my religious beliefs in this thread. You are the one who brought it up, and some others, but not me.

The only point I ever made was saying that one shouldn't so easily dismiss the Bible as a potentially historical document. The religious rants came from you.

All you gibbered on about was the meaning of the Tel Dan stele. All I said about that is that it mentioned the House of David (Per Dud). As far as I know I never heard anyone object to taht reading.

So, you're not a christian? I'm wrong about that? You've never said that the archaeological "evidence" you spoke of is proof that the bible states the truth? You don't believe that the archaeological evidence validates what we read in the bible? You think the defeat of the Jews by the Assyrians was not, as is believed by those who wrote those books of the bible, a punishment by god, who sided with the enemies of hs chosen people?

Did I miss a point you were making? Perhaps the fact that all your supposed documentaries are biblical and religious in nature. Or did you not make these films now?

queeq
Well, you did say I was a liar and since you are truth, I guess not.

You've never said that the archaeological "evidence" you spoke of is proof that the bible states the truth?

Nope.

You don't believe that the archaeological evidence validates what we read in the bible?

Well, all it could do maybe it validate the historical validity of the events (like cities sacked, kings maybe checkable stuff).

You think the defeat of the Jews by the Assyrians was not, as is believed by those who wrote those books of the bible, a punishment by god.

How would one prove that?

Devil King
And what I said about the stele is that it does more to dismiss the intervention of some all-powerful being having a hand in the events, than it does to bolster it.

It illustrated back room dealings that took place between members of the Hebrews and the King of the Assyrians. But because it mentions the House David, you want to say it substantiates the bible. And in your own words, you say that if it substantiates the House of David, then it proves the biblical claims of god. The bible also talks about Moses parting the red sea, do youtruly believe this happened? You must, since you'v made documentaries that further the concepts set forth by the bible.

queeq
You make six jumps when I make one.

Again... (MAJOR REHASH)

1. People on this forum said EXPLICITLY (and you supported that claim) that EVERYTHING in the Bible is fiction, didn't happen, all made up.
2. I said that that's a bit quick. There is definately some evidence (more as it gets younger) that point to the existence of characters and events mentioned in the Bible. The Tel Dan Stele points to the possibility of an historical David.
3. There's more like that, which could bring out the Bible as an historical document to complement the writing from Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Hatti, Greece and what have ya...

All this stuff about biblical claims of God came from you. And you just get some major rash when someone even comes into a 300 mile radius of the G-word.

Devil King
How would one prove that?

How would one disprove it? That is your logic. Just because people mentioned in the bible actually existed doesn't prove the bible isn't fiction.

That was why Adam made the comparison to the DaVinci Code.

queeq
How would one disprove it? That is your logic.

Your logic is calling someone a liar if he cannot prove his claims. So judge thyself, great and all powerfull Devil King.

Devil King
You make six jumps when I make one.

Again... (MAJOR REHASH)

1. People on this forum said EXPLICITLY (and you supported that claim) that EVERYTHING in the Bible is fiction, didn't happen, all made up.
2. I said that that's a bit quick. There is definately some evidence (more as it gets younger) that point to the existence of characters and events mentioned in the Bible. The Tel Dan Stele points to the possibility of an historical David.
3. There's more like that, which could bring out the Bible as an historical document to complement the writing from Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Hatti, Greece and what have ya...

All this stuff about biblical claims of God came from you. And you just get some major rash when someone even comes into a 300 mile radius of the G-word.

I said people made up god, and that it was the same practice used by kings and queens to validate their authority over their people, forever! I also pointed out how christians accuse others of being closed minded when they dismiss their "evidence", but that christians do exactly that when they look back at other cultures through out history and dismiss their religious beliefs; beliefs that sustained them far longer than has christianity. I have never said that all the people in the bible were fictional. You began the conversaion by telling me that my statement about the Tomb of Jesus was a bit "harsh". But, that's because it kind of punches a hole in the logic used by the thread starter to validate the bible and it's claims of god.

Devil King
Your logic is calling someone a liar if he cannot prove his claims. So judge thyself, great and all powerfull Devil King.

Don't make claims you won't back up and no one will call you a liar. Especially claims that would be so easy to prove.

queeq
Sorry for being honest, my master. I didn't quite expect the Spanish Inquisition. I didn't know I had to hand in my credentials at the entrance.

I said people made up god, and that it was the same practice used by kings and queens to validate their authority over their people, forever! I also pointed out how christians accuse others of being closed minded when they dismiss their "evidence", but that christians do exactly that when they look back at other cultures through out history and dismiss their religious beliefs; beliefs that sustained them far longer than has christianity. I have never said that all the people in the bible were fictional. You began the conversaion by telling me that my statement about the Tomb of Jesus was a bit "harsh". But, that's because it kind of punches a hole in the logic used by the thread starter to validate the bible and it's claims of god.

As I said, that has nothing to do with what I said. You just start stockpiling all your frustrations. Personally I felt that was uncalled for.

And again, you are mistaken about the Tomb of Jesus statement. This is what you said:

And then I responded:

You did not make a statemtne about the Tomb of Jesus, you outright dismissed all potential evidence as NON-PLAUSIBLE. I felt that was a bit harsh.

You do have trouble reading.

And where's your proof?

Devil King
Sorry for being honest, my master. I didn't quite expect the Spanish Inquisition. I didn't know I had to hand in my credentials at the entrance.

As I said, that has nothing to do with what I said. You just start stockpiling all your frustrations. Personally I felt that was uncalled for.

And again, you are mistaken about the Tomb of Jesus statement. This is what you said:

And then I responded:

You did not make a statemtne about the Tomb of Jesus, you outright dismissed all potential evidence as NON-PLAUSIBLE. I felt that was a bit harsh.

You do have trouble reading.

And where's your proof?

I said the amount of evidence that substantiated the claim that it was the tomb of Jesus was just as conclusive as was the evidence surrounding the examples listed by the thread starter. In other words, if we were to assume that the archaeological examples used by ushomefree were proof, then by the same token the archaeology used to make the claims surrounding the tomb of Jesus were just as valid. So, if the examples listed in the first post are proof of god's existence, then the example of the tomb would disprove the divinity of Jesus. That would mean that the entire christian religion was based on a lie.

queeq
Well, "archaeology" never made any claims about the Tomb of Jesus. Cameron and Jacobovici did that. I

And divinity of Jesus can never be proven or disproven. What's your point?

Devil King
What's your point?

The same as it was when I first started posting in this thread: that the claims of evidence of the existence of ushomefree's version of god are not valid proof. Or did you not realize that was his agenda?

Devil King
Well, "archaeology" never made any claims about the Tomb of Jesus. Cameron and Jacobovici did that. I

Cameron wasn't in the film, and Jacobovici is called "The Naked Archaeologist", so he certainly presented it as such...along with the half dozen archaeologists in the documentary.

And if you want to know my feelings about the film, all you have to do is look through the thread dedicated to it, right here in this forum.

queeq
I can't remember ever talking or asking about the film. I never saw it. Read the presented evidence of course. I know a bit more about it but you won't believe me anyway.

The same as it was when I first started posting in this thread: that the claims of evidence of the existence of ushomefree's version of god are not valid proof. Or did you not realize that was his agenda?

Here he comes again with proof for God... there's no such thing. So why do you attack ME all te time with your annoyance over ushomefree's secret agenda. Take it up with him and stop lashing out at me for that.

Devil King
Here he comes again with proof for God... there's no such thing. So why do you attack ME all te time with your annoyance over ushomefree's secret agenda. Take it up with him and stop lashing out at me for that.

I did, that's why I quoted him when I responded to his thread. You got involved and apparently totally misunderstood what I was saying.

I present no proof for god...are you thick?

queeq
I did NOT get involved. All I said you were generalising over potential evidence. You ditched all of it and claimed (again without proof) that the Bible was fiction and all made up.

If you're pissed at particular people, be pissed at THEM. Not at the bystanders.

Devil King
I can't remember ever talking or asking about the film. I never saw it. Read the presented evidence of course. I know a bit more about it but you won't believe me anyway.

If your opinion of it is that it was a bunch of over-hyped crap that did exactly as I predicted it would, which was prove nothing, then we took the same thing away from it.

Devil King
I did NOT get involved. All I said you were generalising over potential evidence. You ditched all of it and claimed (again without proof) that the Bible was fiction and all made up.

If you're pissed at particular people, be pissed at THEM. Not at the bystanders.

It's not my place to prove the validity of something I do not think is valid.

queeq
But it is your place to aggressively lash out at people and call them liars?

I didn't see the film. From what I know I do think it's overhyped, the presented evidence seems fairly shallow to me.

I present no proof for god...are you thick?

And yet you accuse me time and time again for wanting to prove the existence of God.

Devil King
And yet you accuse me time and time again for wanting to prove the existence of God.

I'm not the one claiming to have made documentaries based on the bible.

queeq
No, you're not.

But you do claim having studied books about te subject, for years, also without proof. Some claim...

Devil King
But it is your place to aggressively lash out at people and call them liars?

Yeah, when they lie.

queeq
And you don't need proof, you just think people lie, you lash out at them and all is just and fair for the Great Truth King.

Devil King
No, you're not.

But you do claim having studied books about te subject, for years, also without proof. Some claim...

Saying I've spent years reading books and watching documentaries and reading periodicals on the subject are NOT great claims. But, then again, I can't post a link or a picture that substantiates it. Asking you what you want to discuss on the subject is the only way I can prove I'm not talking out of my ass.

However, it would be no great feat to post a link to the very real evidence that I'm sure exists to back up your claims.

queeq
Hehehe, interesting this:

And then:

I'm not the one claiming to have made documentaries based on the bible.

It is so amazing you are incapable of answering a proper post, except by jumping to something completely off topic, just to dodge the possibility of being found totally incompetent.

queeq
Saying I've spent years reading books and watching documentaries and reading periodicals on the subject are NOT great claims. But, then again, I can't post a link or a picture that substantiates it. Asking you what you want to discuss on the subject is the only way I can prove I'm not talking out of my ass.

However, it would be no great feat to post a link to the very real evidence that I'm sure exists to back up your claims.

They are great claims. If you claim to have studied the matter for seven years (without saying how or what), you are basically claiming to be an expert. Now you say you study tv programmes and maybe some populistic magazines, it kinda degrades you position as all knowing uber-being.

Devil King
Hehehe, interesting this:

And then:

It is so amazing you are incapable of answering a proper post, excpet by jumping to something completely off topic, just to dodge the possibility of being found totally incompetent.

there was no question asked in that post. It was a statement.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>