Should politicians be banned from employing family members?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Coal
Following the controversy this week surrounding Conservative MP Derek Conway overpaying his son, many have suggested that politicians should be banned from employing family members.

Tory leader David Cameron says he intends to require his party's members to make any details of their employment of relatives available to public records, while PM Gordon Brown says he wants more transparency but isn't clear about what form this will take.

What do you think?

Schecter
politicians should be banned from employing anyone imho.

Kram3r
I think as long as the person is adequately fulfilled to fill position I don't see why not.

Ushgarak
Yeah, there's no problem at all with hiring your family. How many family firms are there? Lots and lots. And in fact many MPs run a lot better for having trusted people working for them- wives as secretaries etc.

The only problem is if you just GIVE your family money for doing nothing, out of the public purse. That's what Derek did. There's no need to be over-zealous, just cut out those abusing it.

WrathfulDwarf
Well, it's always been taken that a politician is a family person just like any other family person in society and our communities. So, it works in some ways.

Case in point I'm sure a politician despite his own personal goals would love his family just like most of us do.

jaden101

TRH
They can hire whoever they want.

tabby999
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yeah, there's no problem at all with hiring your family. How many family firms are there? Lots and lots. And in fact many MPs run a lot better for having trusted people working for them- wives as secretaries etc.

The only problem is if you just GIVE your family money for doing nothing, out of the public purse. That's what Derek did. There's no need to be over-zealous, just cut out those abusing it.

Second.

Tempe Brennan
There is nothing wrong with employing family, so long as they are treated the same as all other employees

Bicnarok
Hiring people fro you8r family is a mafia like activity, its bad enough that in places like the US, sons & now possibly wifes of presidents become president, not much of an equal opportunity situation is it.

Fishy
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Hiring people fro you8r family is a mafia like activity, its bad enough that in places like the US, sons & now possibly wifes of presidents become president, not much of an equal opportunity situation is it.

Why not? As long as you hire who's best for the job it doesn't matter if they are family or not. And I'd imagine that in politics family is the best for the job, simply because most people tend to trust their family members.

=Tired Hiker=
They should be able to hire whoever they want, but their actions should be monitored by an outside source via public records, that way whether it's a family member, a best friend, or just some guy off the street, they can be put into check. I think that's how it's done anyway.

Quark_666
Originally posted by Lord Coal
suggested that politicians should be banned

I second the motion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.