POTC and Star Wars trilogy comparisons

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

willofthewisp
Okay, I found a few of these similarities spotted by other people and then looked on my own. Maybe T&T aren't as original as they would like to think they are.

Star Wars and Pirates:

Backstory
Star Wars: A young man (Anakin) is pulled away from his wife (Padme) through the temptation of dark forces (the Sith). They are separated before he gets to know his children (Luke and Leia).

POTC: A young man (Bootstrap) is pulled away from his wife through the temptation of dark forces (all things piracy). They are separated before he gets to know his son (Will).

Characters
Star Wars: The main characters of Star Wars form a trio. We meet the woman first (Leia). She is of noble birth and we first meet her when she needs rescuing. However, she is capable and fights more and more as the series progresses. We then meet the young man, the classical hero who is stuck in a rut while dreaming of better things (Luke). Finally, we meet a rogue who joins the trio for selfish reasons (Han). In addition, we have a wiser, more experienced character (Obi-Wan) who advises the trio and explains things to the audience. They hide more than they tell and have a connection to a major villain (Vader). The rogue (Han) has a best friend who often acts as his conscience and confidant (Chewie). Rounding out the good guys is a comic duo (C3PO and R2D2).

Pirates: The main characters of Pirates form a trio. We meet the woman first (Elizabeth). She is of noble birth and we first meet her when she needs rescuing. However, she is capable and fights more and more as the series progresses. We then meet the young man, the classical hero who is stuck in a rut while dreaming of better things (Will). Finally, we meet a rogue who joins the trio for selfish reasons (Jack). We have the wiser, experienced character (Tia) who adivses the trio and explains things to the audience (who Davy Jones is and what's in the chest). She hides more than she tells and is connected to a major villain (Davy). The rogue (Jack) has a best friend who often acts as his conscience and confidant (Gibbs). Rounding out the good guys is a comic duo (Pintel and Ragetti).

Villains
Star Wars: We meet a villain in the first movie (Vader), who is really cool and is a great challenge to the characters. But in the next movie, we see there is an even greater villain (the Emperor). Often times, one villain will actually be controlling another villain (Vader serves the Emperor). There is minor villain in the 3rd movie (Jabba) who is the main enemy of the rogue (Han) but is by default the enemy of everyone. The woman in the trio is his undoing (Leia).

Pirates: We meet a villain in the first movie (Barbossa), who is really cool and is a great challenge to the characters. But in the next movie, we see there is an even greater villain (Beckett and Davy). Often times, one villain will actually be controlling another villain (Davy reluctantly serves Beckett by the 3rd movie). There is a minor villain in the 3rd movie (Sao Feng) who is the main enemy of the rogue (Jack) but is by default the enemy of everyone. The woman in the trio is his undoing (Elizabeth).

Basic Plotline:
1st Star Wars movie: The trio gets together via the woman in the trio (Leia needing rescued). The classical hero usually discovers something about himself and possibly his origins (Luke learns he has Jedi powers and his dad was a Jedi). The rogue is seeking a prize throughout (Han wants his reward money) because he feels it is owed to him (Han owes Jabba money and his life is threatened until he pays him back). However, he develops feelings for the other characters (Han comes back to save Luke at the end). There is a lot of action and the bad guys are defeated.

2nd Star Wars movie: This is a much darker movie that starts with the heroes totally screwed (the rebels are attacked and lose their base). Our heroes separate, often looking for something (Luke goes to his Jedi training). The rogue and the woman get to know each other better and may compare themselves to each other, fighting romantic feelings (Han and Leia). Meanwhile, the classical hero discovers something about his family (Vader is his father). At the end, the villains seem on top (Luke has no hand and Han is frozen) and the rogue is dispatched/dead (Han is frozen).

3rd Star Wars movie: We start in a new location (Jabba's palace) that is exotic in some way. There is an enemy to the rogue (Jabba) and the heroes have to defeat him. After this happens, they can focus on the other villains. They usually start out all together (the trio and Chewie on their way to Endor), but get separated. The woman makes a choice about who she will choose, although this may wait until the end (Leia picks Han). A villain, through the love of a hero, will repent (Vader saves Luke) and the classical hero fulfills his destiny (Luke is a Jedi).

willofthewisp
1st Pirates movie: The trio gets together via the woman in the trio (Elizabeth needing rescued). The classical hero usually discovers something about himself and possibly his origins (Will learns he can be a pirate and his dad was one, but a good man also). The rogue is seeking a prize throughout (Jack wants the Pearl back) because he feels it is owed to him (Jack wants the Pearl because it's his and Barbossa marooned him). However, he develops feelings for the other characters (he helps out Will and Elizabeth all the time). There is a lot of action and the bad guys are defeated.

2nd Pirates movie: This is a much darker movie that starts with the heroes totally screwed (Will and Elizabeth's wedding is crashed and Jack may have to serve on the Dutchman). Our heroes separate, often looking for something (they key and the chest). The rogue and the woman get to know each other better and may compare themselves to each other, fighting romantic feelings (Jack and Elizabeth). Meanwhile, the classical hero discovers something about his family (Bootstrap is on the Dutchman). At the end, the villains seem on top (Beckett has the heart) and the rogue is dispatched/dead (Jack dies and is sent to the Locker).

3rd Pirates movie: We start in a new location (Singapore) that is exotic in some way. There is an enemy to the rogue (Sao Feng) and the heroes have to defeat him. After this happens, they can focus on the other villains. They usually start out all together (the trio and everybody to the Locker and back), but get separated. The woman makes a choice about who she will choose, although this may wait until the end (Elizabeth marries Will). A villain, through the love of a hero, will repent (Bootstrap has loved Will all along and now gets to be a normal guy) and the classical hero fulfills his destiny (Will is captain of the Flying Dutchman).

Music
Both movies have "themes" such as the Imperial March and Davy Jones' theme. There are love themes "Han Solo and the Princess"/"One Day," and a rollicking main theme that just spews action (main themes of both).

Cool modes of transportation: Pirates get ships, rebels get spaceships.

katelovespirate
Well done, as always, Willo....

I remember LovelyOne used to go on this way... or was that Chiki? And we always used it as the reason Jack should get the girl--- gosh T and T, didn't you even WATCH star wars?!

Han Solo and Jack DO have a ton in common--- The millennium falcon and the Pearl are very similar, for example. I'd venture to say Leia could take Elizabeth in a fight. And Will definitely wins as the more annoying of the two "heroes"... smile

sailorleo
lol finally someone hashed it out....I thought about doing it, but i was lazy and didn't feel like writing it out, but i think why most movies can relate to star wars is because star wars is based by one degree, of mythology....

Tramps Lady
willo:P you smartypants:P im just sitting here like "hey, yeah!" and my sisters been yelling at me to shut up:P

willofthewisp
"I remember LovelyOne used to go on this way... or was that Chiki? And we always used it as the reason Jack should get the girl--- gosh T and T, didn't you even WATCH star wars?!

Han Solo and Jack DO have a ton in common--- The millennium falcon and the Pearl are very similar, for example. I'd venture to say Leia could take Elizabeth in a fight. And Will definitely wins as the more annoying of the two "heroes"..."------Kate

Really? I still find Luke somewhat more annoying, especially in the first and last movies. But Will is annoying in the sense that he did keep Jack and Liz apart. Who do you think would win in that fight between Leia and Elizabeth?

katelovespirate
Leia, definitely. but that's just cause she can handle a blaster and i think a blaster would be more deadly than a sword. Sure, Lizzie would put up a good fight, but Leia would win, IMO.

willofthewisp
ha ha, Leia is good with a gun, and by that I mean blaster pistol. But who would win in a fist-fight, Fight Club style? No weapons.

Luke vs. Will
Han vs. Jack
Leia vs. Elizabeth
The Emperor vs. Beckett

sailorleo
k my results

*if the force isn't used* Will
Han
Elizabeth
Beckett

willofthewisp
I'm inclined to agree with you, sailor. And yeah, Star Wars uses a lot of mythology which is one of the reasons I like it.

katelovespirate
Originally posted by willofthewisp
ha ha, Leia is good with a gun, and by that I mean blaster pistol. But who would win in a fist-fight, Fight Club style? No weapons.

Luke vs. Will
Han vs. Jack
Leia vs. Elizabeth
The Emperor vs. Beckett

Will

Han

Leia. she's a little more of a badass than Elizabeth. Elizabeth's too noble for her own good.

Does the emperor get to use his force powers? If so, he would win. if not, Beckett. Why don't we talk about Beckett more? I love him.

So here's a question. if YOU got to pick either Jack or Han to sail into the sunset with, who would it be?

willofthewisp
Oh my gosh! What a question! Han Solo was my first movie-love. He was so great and I wanted him pretty bad. Of course, Jack is pretty great. I'm going to go with Han because he's more willing to accept he's a nice guy deep down.

katelovespirate
yeah its a question i cant really answer--- ive been in love with han since i was like, 4. but Jack does have a special something. its possible i might pick jack, just because i think i would prefer an actual ship to a spaceship.

IheartPocky
Obi Wan (the young one) was my first movie love. And he is from star wars! smile

willofthewisp
lol, I forgot about him, pocky! I'm not personally attracted to Ewan McGregor but a lot of people are. And he is hands-down more attractive than Tia imo.

VioletEyesPop08
The main thing I noticed was you still don't know who's the bad guy - du-hA!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.