episode 1, your thoughts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The big EH
i think this is the best prequel and pretty close to episode 6, so do both my brothers who are literally among the biggest nerds ever, one of them has the christmas special and the other has read all the comics and books, and built most the models for star wars.
what do you think

JediRobin23
Everyone is different. I like EP III the best, cause thats just me. Ep I was was ok, but didn't quite satisfy my expectations.

Also, your mentioning the prequals, but you Poll is showing all Episodes

The big EH
thats because i wanna know where it ranks with everybody else

queeq
Fifth I think. I thought it was pretty lousy, until ROTS came out. Suddenly AOTC seemed so obsolete to me that AOTC dropped to the bottom of them all. ROTS actually made TPM better to me!

Ushgarak
'Close to Episode VI' is an insult around where I come from.

queeq
Meaning? TPM is way better or way worse?

vintageSW77
i caught it on tv about two months ago and its worse than i remembered
id rather watch Caravan of Courage
or Howard The Duck
its truly dire

good old Ben Burtt sums up TPM in the BEGGINING documentary
he looks mega depressed

Sesse
I laughed.
Har har.
The movie.
It smells like Jar Jar.

General G
Well...Ep 1 wasn't very good. My two cents.

JediSamuraiMRB
In my humble opinion I have liked all six films. The Empire Strikes Back is the best one of the original trilogy. As for the prequels chronicling young Anakin to Evil Sith lord Darth Vader, I liked them.As for The Phantom Menace it was good, but I wanted more from Darth Maul.

coolmovies
Its good but not the best

Lord Melkor
It is very nice fairy tale, I even didn`t mind Jar-Jar that much, though he was overused.

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by Lord Melkor
It is very nice fairy tale, I even didn`t mind Jar-Jar that much, though he was overused.

I hated Binks, I'm glad he was only in the last moments in ROTS.

queeq
Originally posted by vintageSW77
or Howard The Duck
its truly dire

I dunno... that's pretty harsh... wink

General G

Jar Jar???? Oh no...hated him...

vintageSW77

FAIRY TALE?

Thats just it though
we didnt want a fairy tale
we wanted thousands of jedis taking on mandalorian warriors in battle etc etc etc

General G
That would be epic...Jedi's charging on one side deflecting shots...some getting hit...Mandalorians digging themselves in, not giving an inch to the Jedi.

Elite Hunter
It was ok and imo the best movie for a little kid(like 5 or 6) to get into star wars. It didn't have that darker feel that the other movies have and little kids my actually like Jar-Jar. The best scenes were obviously the podrace and the "duel of fates"

General G
Ep 2 didn't really have a dark feeling either...except for the Tusken part...Ep 3-6 were all SW darkish feeling.

Elite Hunter
But episode 2 would be might be more confusing as to who the "good guys" are for the little kids to figure out. (other than the jedi) Plus you have to to start at the begining of the trilogies. You right though that there isn't a dark feeling in it. And I don't think episode 4 had anything dark by our terms other than Vader himself. I also think this movie has more of an innocent feeling to it than any other star wars movie.

General G
Good guys=Jedi always stick out tongue But I think I know where your coming from.

ANH was probably the least dark of the OT...but it still had the death of OB1...the death of a planet...that monster thing in the garbage...Vader...so I still consider it 'dark.'

Elite Hunter
I think the dark aurora of Ob1's death was diminished by hearing his voice during the death star attack run and following his death. I think Qui-gon's death was more darker and so was his funeral but that loses a little bit with the Naboo "Peace" scene. The only thing I though Vader to do that was dark was setting that probe with a really big needle droid to "torture" Leia. Everything else he did was just bad@$$

DeVi| D0do
While it's not nearly as great as any of the originals, I unabashedly love TPM... It's easily the best of the PT.

queeq
Dodo!!!!

The best... hmmm... I think ROTS is a bit more entertaining. The humour's better too.

General G
Originally posted by Elite Hunter
I think the dark aurora of Ob1's death was diminished by hearing his voice during the death star attack run and following his death. I think Qui-gon's death was more darker and so was his funeral but that loses a little bit with the Naboo "Peace" scene. The only thing I though Vader to do that was dark was setting that probe with a really big needle droid to "torture" Leia. Everything else he did was just bad@$$

Yes, you are right...but ANH just had a darker atmosphere...darker colour scheme it seems to set the mood there.

TPM? The best?

queeq
Yeah...err.. no.

Elite Hunter
NO

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Elite Hunter
NO

I enjoyed EP1 very much, saw it 3 times opening day.
i would rank it 5th on my list with EP 6 being last.
it had a good story, with good characters. but let's face it the reason Lucas did EP IV first and didn't start with that one was it wasn't pull you in and grab you movie, EP IV starts and finishes with more of a bang.
If he was able to start with EP I it would of pulled you in. plus you would be what the hell is going on.

Elite Hunter
I never said it was bad, think i would rate it 5th too and see my above posts as to why.

General G
Darth Maul was badass...but still ranked low...5th or 6th most likely 5th right in front of AOTC.

queeq
Originally posted by darthmaul1
I enjoyed EP1 very much, saw it 3 times opening day.
i would rank it 5th on my list with EP 6 being last.
it had a good story, with good characters. but let's face it the reason Lucas did EP IV first and didn't start with that one was it wasn't pull you in and grab you movie, EP IV starts and finishes with more of a bang.
If he was able to start with EP I it would of pulled you in. plus you would be what the hell is going on.

I disagree. Any good movie pulls you in. EP1 doesn't quite do that...

The big EH
Originally posted by vintageSW77
or Howard The Duck
its truly dire

good old Ben Burtt sums up TPM in the BEGGINING documentary
he looks mega depressed how the hell can you think that?!? Caravan gargled my balls and episode 2 is worse than 1, next you'll be saying Battle for Endor and Return are tied for first place

queeq
laughing out loud

darthmaul1
Originally posted by queeq
I disagree. Any good movie pulls you in. EP1 doesn't quite do that...
I think that is what I said ep1 would of been alot harder to get into had the OT not come first.

Tangible God
I read the novelized adaption of the prequels last week, then watched the movies. And for me it holds true for the lot of 'em that, after reading the books, you can somehow forgive the shortcomings of the films.

For TPM I just went back to how I pictured the events in mind while I was reading. There was no strange sounds being emitted from eopies or Gungans, there was no Rastafarian accent from the token dementia-case, and the thoughts and feelings of Anakin, Padme and Qui-Gon are so much more in depth and analyzed. I was able to watch TPM with, dare I be cliche, a better sense of understanding towards the characters.

For AOTC and ROTS though, the novels flat out kick the movies' asses. Anakin's not just a self-centered brat, Padme's not a dumb tart in regal disguise, and Palpatine's evil is so downplayed that when it emerges, it seems all the more sinister.

queeq
The saying goes, the book's better than the movie... But now the book written after the film (or filmscript) is better than the movie??? That is kinda scary.

JediRobin23
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
While it's not nearly as great as any of the originals, I unabashedly love TPM... It's easily the best of the PT.

How is that?

Blax_Hydralisk
Dare I say. DARE. I. SAY IT?!?!?!?!?!?!

Rots is my favorite of the six films.

no expression

queeq
You dare... I doubt everyone agrees with you, but you're entitled to like ROTS.

sithsaber408
It's 3rd.

1.) ESB

2.)ROTS/ANH -tie-

3.) TPM

4.) AOTC

5.) the last 45 min of ROTJ

queeq
Originally posted by sithsaber408

laughing out loud

Schecter
Originally posted by sithsaber408

leave this forum and never come back

queeq
You've done it now, SS.

sithsaber408
stick out tongue

queeq
Hehehe

The big EH
hey has anyone seen the christmas special eek!?

queeq
You mean the Holiday Special? Yes. Unfortunately.

Faith27
Episode II is the best..maybe because I find Hayden Christensen much gorgeous here..smile

Sesse
And creepy.

queeq
A pretty boy doesn't equal a good film.

Lord Knightfa11
hmm

this isnt really a matter for debate, everyone has their favorites. I certainly enjoyed Maul vs Kenobi and Jinn, but more maul, less Binks would have made this movie WAY better.

It pretty much started the ravings of critics that star wars prequells were cornball and out of date. Especially the little kid. should have gotten an older one, or one who could at least say his lines with out accenting the wrong parts.

I wouldnt have thought to test the little retard for midichlorions....

Its not good at all.

And your either FEMALE or GAY or 6 years old if you only like the last 45 minutes of star wars 6. You will totally miss Leia in her hot bikini.....

queeq
Good point.

I must admit, GL was rather brave making Ep1. Who else would dare make a kiddie movie about taxation of trade routes and senatorial debates about a vote of no confidence?

Lord Knightfa11
lol yea...

have you seen the simpsons parody of this movie on youtube in which they have everyone showing up exitedly on opening night to see this movie in the theatre and it turns out to be the senate taking roll call?

queeq
laughing out loud

No, but please link us up.

Schecter
i dont understand how people can pick "worst one ever" in place of aotc. then again its like figuring which pile of shit is stacked higher.

in all fairness though, ep1 had some cool moments and the duel was excellent imho. the rest though....*dry heaves*

queeq
Duel, podrace, I liked that... Although, the duel was a bit weird, they never talk, we haven't got a clue what's gong only that one is dressed in black so he must be bad, the others are goodies, so they must fight. And then they call it the Duel of the Fates...

Lord Knightfa11
couldnt find the simpsons link.

queeq
Darn!

Lord Knightfa11
ha if you want your funny star wars parody fix its right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWk2t03Oylk

Lord Knightfa11
its not exactly the simpsons but its way more funny.

queeq
Robot chicken rules. Old stuff though. But still funny.

DeVi| D0do
Why I love Episode I: It's the most well written of the PT. By far. There are only a couple of cringe-inducing lines.
It has the best-looking VFX. Serious. I think the VFX are integrated so much better in this film. And I think a lot of that is to do with it being shot on film.
It has the best story. The most mythological story. The most personal story. I think Episode III could have taken it out in this category, but it just wasn't executed very well imo.
It has the best lightsaber choreography. If you're not going to have the emotion of the ESB and ROTJ fights, you've at least got to have amazing choreography. The ROTS duel has neither the choreography or the emotion.
It has the best lightsabers. This is the only movie that gets the look of the sabers themselves right imo.
It's the only PT film that feels like Star Wars to me. It's the only one the feels real... the others feel so synthetic.
I don't hate Jar Jar. I think he's a great character and I like the role he plays in the film.
The pod race is awesome.
Qui Gon is an awesome character, and Neeson is the only actor besides McDiarmid who knows how to pull off Lucas's dialogue.The end.

Lord Knightfa11
Why I love Episode I: It's the most well written of the PT. By far. There are only a couple of cringe-inducing lines.
It has the best-looking VFX. Serious. I think the VFX are integrated so much better in this film. And I think a lot of that is to do with it being shot on film.
It has the best story. The most mythological story. The most personal story. I think Episode III could have taken it out in this category, but it just wasn't executed very well imo.
It has the best lightsaber choreography. If you're not going to have the emotion of the ESB and ROTJ fights, you've at least got to have amazing choreography. The ROTS duel has neither the choreography or the emotion.
It has the best lightsabers. This is the only movie that gets the look of the sabers themselves right imo.
It's the only PT film that feels like Star Wars to me. It's the only one the feels real... the others feel so synthetic.
I don't hate Jar Jar. I think he's a great character and I like the role he plays in the film.
The pod race is awesome.
Qui Gon is an awesome character, and Neeson is the only actor besides McDiarmid who knows how to pull off Lucas's dialogue.The end.

1, maybe so but people like story rather then vfx
2. the story sucks. are you 6? episode III took it in the most personal story.
3. the lightsaber coreography is fricken awesome... your right, but your wrong about the emotion/coreograpy. the coreography is amaizing in the rots duel
4. the lightsabers are all right, i guess, but i dont see the difference between rots and phantom menace
5. i know what you mean bout it not feeling like star wars. your right. none of the pt seem like star wars to me. it seems like a whole different story. it would have been cool if they had the anh sabers in the pt.
6. oh my holy crap. you just said that you like jar jar. what are you, 6? waste of time idiot...
7. pod race is so obviously annoyingly bluescreened its not even funny. the horrible little kid cant do his lines like hes moving at 200 miles an hour and he sucks.
8. your right except james earl jones and christopher lee are as good if not better in their roles then liam neeson. liam neeson is good in batman begins. this was the worst movie of his carreer.

your entitled to your own opinion, but you stand corrected.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
the coreography is amaizing in the rots duelNah, it's boring and poorly cut. The Yoda/Sidious fight is brilliant though.

it would have been cool if they had the anh sabers in the pt.Yes! OMG! This is exactly the precise reason the PT sucks!

oh my holy crap. you just said that you like jar jar. what are you, 6?Indeed.

your right except james earl jones and christopher lee are as good if not better in their roles then liam neeson. liam neeson is good in batman begins. this was the worst movie of his carreer.My bad, I meant out of the PT actors. Everyone in the OT is pitch perfect with their performance.

queeq
Devil DoDO!!!! How've you been?

Lord Knightfa11
Nah, it's boring and poorly cut. The Yoda/Sidious fight is brilliant though.
Yes! OMG! This is exactly the precise reason the PT sucks!

the dooku and yoda vs sideous fights were very good. the anakin vs obi wan one was ok but not as good as it could have been.

and i wouldnt have put it that way.... the saber effect doesnt make it suck hehe. it would be cool if they had the bright color and the flicker in pt thou.

queeq
At least the sabres are not pink, as in the latest SE's.

Blax_Hydralisk
Pink lightsabers? What?

queeq
ROTJ... lightsabres look pink here and there.... really ugly.

Elite Hunter
the dooku and yoda vs sideous fights were very good.

The only thing that could have made the sidious vs yoda more interesting for me would be if the senate was in session or about to be in session.

queeq
Cool... would have betrayed Sidious though.

Lord Knightfa11
oo and hes chucking crowded senate pods at yoda and they explode.... right in the middle of roll call....

queeq
Splatter galore.

Lord Knightfa11
hehe the lightsaber is a great anti gore weapon as it cauterizes wounds. and pretty feasable. i think this is kind of what lucas had in mind.... it would just like show a big firy explosion and screaming...

queeq
A senate pods can crush skulls and other body parts. Plenty of splatter there.

Lord Knightfa11
yea but my point is that george lucas would deprive us of that. because he hates us. in fact, he deprived us of the whole idea. no senators in the pods, no explosions, no screaming, no splatter. so he hates us even more then i set out to prove in the first place...

im going to go find a dark corner to suck my thumb and cry....

Alliance
Originally posted by Ushgarak
'Close to Episode VI' is an insult around where I come from. Welcome to our contry. ROTJ is the only film definitively WORSE than TPM

queeq
Nah.

yea but my point is that george lucas would deprive us of that. because he hates us. in fact, he deprived us of the whole idea. no senators in the pods, no explosions, no screaming, no splatter. so he hates us even more then i set out to prove in the first place...

im going to go find a dark corner to suck my thumb and cry....

You go do that. wink

chik4lit
Whoa, there is no SW movie worse than TPM. I can barely stay awake. Why the hell would they actually extend the podracing scene? It was a snoozefest when it was short.

And the Ewoks were not bad enough to ruin all of ROTJ.

queeq
I agree with the latter.

Elite Hunter
oo and hes chucking crowded senate pods at yoda and they explode.... right in the middle of roll call....

Exactly smokin'

Darth Macabre
I'm probably in the minority, but I liked episode 1 more than episode 2. I think the plot of the TPM was a decent one, that with a few changes would have made a great movie. Such changes include having Qui-Gon be Anakin's master from the start, with Anakin being around 15 and already a great star ship pilot, and having Obi-Wan be a Jedi Knight already and a good friend of Qui-Gon's. The trio of Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and the padawan Anakin should have gone to Naboo, and the plot turned out basically the same. Instead of picking up Ani at Tattoinne, Anakin would be returning to his home planet for the first time since being taken by Qui-Gon to join the Jedi when he was just an infant. And when Darth Maul kills Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan would have taken over Anakin's training.

In that way, the backstory already established in episode 4 is kept, and it would have hurried along the plot and made it more realistic.

queeq
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
I'm probably in the minority, but I liked episode 1 more than episode 2.

I agree with that. AOTC promised a lot, but ROTS made it completely redundant and TPM the better movie of the first two.

Jack Daniels
sux they didnt have any more of qui-gon's ghost they should add some editing to rotj with him messing with his (ani) mind to help the return to the good side...I just thought since they can edit and have young ani in rotj instead of an old one then why not add in his recruiter for a scene or two to help his switch back to the good side..etc...etc...

queeq
There may be Special Editions in the future with that very special feature... who knows.

Jack Daniels
and knowing me as long as I dont run my tab up at the milk bar to much I will buy em...lol

Dejio
My Top 6:

Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith

It's really still sad to think what Lucas did to his Star Wars franchise.

queeq
ROTS at the bottom... that's surprising. Haven't seen that before.

Jack Daniels
Originally posted by Dejio
It's really still sad to think what Lucas did to his Star Wars franchise.

His bank account isnt to sad...lol

And as far as the poll dont know... I cant knock pm to bad cause old ben (then young) really put on a nice saber battle with maul...saved the movie for many people...just like aotc yoda fighting saved that...IMO

queeq
AOTC was beyond saving.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.