Economy Stimulus Package.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/07/congress.economy/index.html

This is like reparations except for everyone. no expression

Going by that.....

I will get $1800 just for being married with two kids. smile

I wonder if it is tax free? laughing

Give your reasons why this is a great idea or a bad idea.

chithappens
Shrug, I'll take it

Quark_666
Originally posted by dadudemon

Going by that.....

Every time I start getting a grasp on economics, those geniuses on capital hill come up with some solution to today's economic problems and it bamboozles me...It's really tough on my young, developing mind.

Fishy
Even if all the people in the US would spend this money instead of save it, it would hardly be a big let alone stand lasting impulse in the economy. So I don't really think it's that good a thing, still nice to get $600 dollars.

DigiMark007
It shouldn't be theirs to dole out like benevolent benefactors in the first place.

BackFire
I like money.

chithappens
Originally posted by DigiMark007
It shouldn't be theirs to dole out like benevolent benefactors in the first place.

huh

DigiMark007
Originally posted by chithappens
huh

yah

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f11/t475376.html

smile

chithappens
wasnt sure if u were saying **** taxes or what

DigiMark007
wasnt sure if u were saying **** taxes or what

Basically. Taxes should be so negligible that tax refunds should never be an issue (or existent). It creates a wasteful government situation of managing money (usually poorly) and doling it out to various special-interest groups.

Minimal taxes to fund far fewer gov't programs, and to subsidize those beneath living wage. The rest should have never left our hands in the first place.

dadudemon
At the risk of being disagreed with and pwned, I believe it will do exactly as its designed to do.

I believe the economy will be greatly stimulated and it will have a lasting effect on the economy. I figure the economy will start to rise again after these millions of checks start going out. This rise may just be a catalyst t o start another economic upturn for the next several years. If that occurs, then these actions were effective, no matter what type of pessimism is thrown at these actions....*cough*digimark*cough* stick out tongue

I understand the logic behind this legislation. Literally billions of dollars could be lost even if our economy's growth is just slightly slowed, much less going into a recession. If this money DOES jump start the economy to a nice HEALTHY upturn, then literally billions of dollars in differential growth would occur, possibly generating much more than just a $130 billion in a differential growth.

Of course, nay sayers my attribute the growth as non-related if there isn't a sudden spike in the economy.

Shakyamunison
I can't wait to get my $50.

DigiMark007
At the risk of being disagreed with and pwned, I believe it will do exactly as its designed to do.

I believe the economy will be greatly stimulated and it will have a lasting effect on the economy. I figure the economy will start to rise again after these millions of checks start going out. This rise may just be a catalyst t o start another economic upturn for the next several years. If that occurs, then these actions were effective, no matter what type of pessimism is thrown at these actions....*cough*digimark*cough* stick out tongue

I understand the logic behind this legislation. Literally billions of dollars could be lost even if our economy's growth is just slightly slowed, much less going into a recession. If this money DOES jump start the economy to a nice HEALTHY upturn, then literally billions of dollars in differential growth would occur, possibly generating much more than just a $130 billion in a differential growth.

Of course, nay sayers my attribute the growth as non-related if there isn't a sudden spike in the economy.

Economies rise and fall. This particular period will probably go up, because all estimates of the recession have been exaggerated due to public opinion.

I have no doubt that gov't actions can help stimulate the economy (though they are far too quick to take credit or shift blame without proper causal analysis of economic forces). But my issue has always been that the economy itself isn't the ideal system of economics.

So yeah, in the current system it's probably a good thing. Both ideologically and personally, I'm for giving as much back to the people as possible. But that doesn't mean I can blanket the entire enterprise with my approval.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I can't wait to get my $50.

It is $600 if you are single. Wut you gonna do wit yo cash?

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Economies rise and fall. This particular period will probably go up, because all estimates of the recession have been exaggerated due to public opinion.

I have no doubt that gov't actions can help stimulate the economy (though they are far too quick to take credit or shift blame without proper causal analysis of economic forces). But my issue has always been that the economy itself isn't the ideal system of economics.

So yeah, in the current system it's probably a good thing. Both ideologically and personally, I'm for giving as much back to the people as possible. But that doesn't mean I can blanket the entire enterprise with my approval.

Dude, I wasn't serious when I zinged you. You do not have to explain your position to me. Okay, wait; yes, it was necessary to explain things to me because I like to talk about this stuff.

Robtard
Yes, I believe we are being taxed on it, so don't expect the full $600.00 if you're single.

I'm blowing mine on an Asian hooker.

Shakyamunison
It is $600 if you are single. Wut you gonna do wit yo cash?...

The last I heard it was $300 if you are single. The House has cut it in half. By the time it is all over, it will be a lot less.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Yes, I believe we are being taxed on it, so don't expect the full $600.00 if you're single.

WHAT!!! Sources?

Why an asian hooker? PM me if you would like like more information

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The last I heard it was $300 if you are single. The House has cut it in half. By the time it is all over, it will be a lot less.

The link I posted was yesterday. It said it was approved for $600 for single and $1200 for couple.

McLovin
The Government will deduct whatever you get this spring from your next years tax refund.

That of course is a rumor.... but very possible.

Robtard
WHAT!!! Sources?

Why an asian hooker? PM me if you would like like more information

It's what I heard; I just did some research of my own; what I heard was wrong. We get the full amount, whatever that ends up being.

Never had an Asian.

dadudemon
It's what I heard; I just did some research of my own; what I heard was wrong. We get the full amount, whatever that ends up being.

Never had an Asian.

The house and senate passed the bill that said $600 for an individual who makes between $3000 and $75000 and $1200 for couples who make less than $150000 plus $300 for each child for both types. We know exactly how much that it will end up being. I highly doubt that Bush would veto this bill after it was passed by such a large majority by congress.

Will the wife know?

Robtard
The house and senate passed the bill that said $600 for an individual who makes between $3000 and $75000 and $1200 for couples who make less than $150000 plus $300 for each child for both types. We know exactly how much that it will end up being. I highly doubt that Bush would veto this bill after it was passed by such a large majority by congress.

Will the wife know?

Yes, I am saying I was wrong.

Know? She'll be in the middle.

dadudemon
Yes, I am saying I was wrong.

Know? She'll be in the middle.

LOL! Dude, that is not what I am getting at. I could care less because it is a minor point...but that was big of you to go out of your way and post that.

Pics please. Don't forget!!! mad

Cap'n Happy

No- you are NEVER taxed on tax returns, which this essentially is. So you will get the full amount that congress finally decides upon.
Enjoy your Asian hooker- I hope he is nice (just a joke- don't get steamed).

PS- Stimulus... package? Kind of reminds me of Bevis and Butt-head.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Cap'n Happy
PS- Stimulus... package? Kind of reminds me of Bevis and Butt-head.

I thought the same thing before I even typed the name of this thread...and then I realized that I was 24...

and waited for someone else to say it first! stick out tongue

dadudemon
My estimations on how this will be handled...

1. The money will go down as "income" for the 2008 tax year and you will put it down in a special field when you file your taxes in 2009.

2. It is free and clear money because it is designed to boost the economy so no strings are attached. Two possible "scenarios":
a) It will be hard as hell to ensure your check.
b) Other than a few hiccups concerning dependants and qualifications on couples, it will be a smooth and easy process for just about everyone.

3. This money will be directly taken out of your "federal taxes paid" amount for the 2008 tax year. In other words, you're ****ed if you don't already overpay by the same margin of your check amount.

Considering I claim 0 and I have two children, I shouldn't have any problems. Because I had a child for this year(the 2007 tax season), my tax deductible was $10,700!!! (I would have to make a butt load of money in order to pay out that much in federal taxes.)

Of course, I didn't pay that much in federal this year but I DID get all of my federal income taxes back this year. It is all going to bills...along with this check coming this late spring.

What will you all do with your check if you get one?

Doom and Gloom
It's just election year politics. Borrow more money to get a tax rebate. It will only raise the federal deficiet that much more. What sucks about it that as a single person who made over $75,000 last year I don't get it. There are people who pay no taxes at all who will.

BigRed
This stimulus package is just ****ing ridiculously stupid.

It's putting a band-aid on the symptoms instead of finding a cure for the cause.

Kinneary
From what I've read, this isn't going to count towards or against taxes for this year or next. It's not going to subject to taxes before you get it. It's a clean, free 600 dollars to jump start the economy. The article I read, I don't remember if it was CNN or on Yahoo!, made it pretty clear that this is a no-strings attached attempt to jump-start the economy.

That said, I'm just not smart enough to know if it will help or not. I think a large portion of people will spend most of it, as Americans aren't very well known for their ability to save money.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kinneary
From what I've read, this isn't going to count towards or against taxes for this year or next. It's not going to subject to taxes before you get it. It's a clean, free 600 dollars to jump start the economy. The article I read, I don't remember if it was CNN or on Yahoo!, made it pretty clear that this is a no-strings attached attempt to jump-start the economy.

That said, I'm just not smart enough to know if it will help or not. I think a large portion of people will spend most of it, as Americans aren't very well known for their ability to save money.

My brother-in-law studied economics for many years in college and he is currently a consultant for many different kind of investors....so this thing had some big interest for him.

I asked him if this was a good move by the government and he said that the impact will be short lived ...maybe a year at the most. He said that it very well may be the catalyst that restarts the economy and by the time this money's effects wear off, it very well may have done what it was intended to do: Restart the economy in an upwards swing.

He said that this plan seems to be more about psychology than actually giving the people buying power. He figures that if the people can be prompted to start spending money again, this should work...which is why it is a substantial amount of money. He finally said that if the Americans start spending their money again and start trying to improve business, it should work fine to continue growth beyond that first year. If not, then this will at least give a short term boost.

I kind of disagree with how long it will last because he was saying that realistically, it would boost the economy about six months.

I don't know how his analysis helps put this in perspective but he is a professional and he has to think about this stuff all day and offer rich people advice...............so he may be right about his assessment.

Schecter
ok, fine. what will YOU do with your money then? pay bills, save it, or go shopping.

be honest.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Schecter
ok, fine. what will YOU do with your money then? pay bills, save it, or go shopping.

be honest.

Pay bills. ONLY.

and you?

Schecter
same here. pay bills if need be. deposite whats left, if any.

no shopping. point is, the theory is only practical if we run out and piss it all away on consumer items.

:edit: dont get me wrong. im all for taking the money. we're ****ed anyway since exponentially more is being shoveled into that bottomless money pit that is iraq.

dadudemon
Update:

There is a link to calculate your Refund. You need your completed 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ form to be able to complete this and get your calculation.

http://www.irs.gov/app/espc/

As I expected, they will send me $1800 for having two kids and making less than $150,000 for 2007. I am not complaining.

Here are the refund dates:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z238/dadudemon/refundinfodates.jpg

RedAlertv2
Of course, its money you would eventually be entitled to anyways.

Devil King
The stimulus package is nothing more than a temporary band-aid put in place so the next administration can be made to answer for the mistakes of this one. What does it matter that the democrats offered and approved it? It's still just a tactical ploy.

botankus
Update:

There is a link to calculate your Refund. You need your completed 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ form to be able to complete this and get your calculation.

http://www.irs.gov/app/espc/

As I expected, they will send me $1800 for having two kids and making less than $150,000 for 2007. I am not complaining.

Here are the refund dates:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z238/dadudemon/refundinfodates.jpg

What if your wife's SS # is lower than yours? Whose do they go by?

dadudemon
Originally posted by botankus
What if your wife's SS # is lower than yours? Whose do they go by?

Mine because she was claimed as joint under my name and income.

Whoever filed as primary under joint filing is whose SSN it goes by. It is based off of your 2007 tax year.

chithappens
Does anyone think this will really boost the economy?

dadudemon

Schecter

there are some idiots who think it will work. then again, they are the ones whom will prove some positive results, as is often said about a fool and his money...

dadudemon
there are some idiots who think it will work. then again, they are the ones whom will prove some positive results, as is often said about a fool and his money...

HEY! I resemble that! Wait...wut?

My brother-in-law is probably more correct than I am. He said, basically, that it will be short lived. DK, I think, hit it right on the head.

Bardock42
Well, I like that people get back money. But isn't it a sort of rechanneling of wealth, which I kinda dislike.

Schecter

spend it on me.

me love you long time.

Robtard
spend it on me.

me love you long time.

Sure, I can spare a fifty.

SpearofDestiny

Going by that.....

STIMULUS ?droolio

PACKAGE ?droolio

dadudemon
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
STIMULUS ?droolio

PACKAGE ?droolio

laughing laughing laughing

When I hear the word package, I always think of repelling and how the harness accentuates your junk and the others like your belayer get a face full of crotch.

SpearofDestiny
a face full of crotch

dd

chithappens
What is everyone going to do with their extra money?

Schecter
bills messed

Bardock42
The more I think about it the more this economy stimulus is some extreme bullshit. a) they are admitting "yeah, guys, everything would really be much better if we hadn't stolen your money, our bad....what? Not stealing your money in the future? Haha, that's funny..." and b) it's some serious communist like rearragment of money.

Deja~vu
What is everyone going to do with their extra money? What extra money, I'm paying out the wazooooooo to the Big Man. mad

Kykiokushin
I highly doubt this stimulus package will do much for the economy, but I'm not complaining free money = More for what ever I want MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.