Dan Aykroyd in Temple Of Doom?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
Where was Dan Akyroyd's scenes in Temple Of Doom? It's been 20 years since I last saw it - I don't even remember him being in it, when I watched it the first time.

Roldahayes3
Well acording to IMDB he played Earl Webber but I cant remember him there at all!

Ahnold
Yes, 'tis true - Dan Aykroyd really *is* in "Temple Of Doom" (I didn't believe it myself until my brother actually pointed him out to me stick out tongue !). He has a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo as the man who speaks to Indiana at the airport towards the beginning of the film, just after the car chase with Lao Che's men; Aykroyd's character explains to Indy about the last-minute transportation that he has arranged for him.

His character, if I recall correctly, has a moustache, and speaks with a very thick British accent. Add to that the fact that he's only in the film for about 15 seconds, and it's no wonder that many people don't know that this was him stick out tongue . I'd love to know how this cameo came about ...

roughrider
Aykroyd was friends with Spielberg, going back to working on '1941'.
Now, checking IMDB's cast list, I see Lucas had a cameo somewhere as a missionary. Time to check the videotape evidence!

queeq
Lucas? Really? Interesting. I heard an interview with GL about ROTS where he claimed he would do his first cameo.

roughrider
Originally posted by queeq
Lucas? Really? Interesting. I heard an interview with GL about ROTS where he claimed he would do his first cameo.

I guess he meant his first Star Wars cameo.

queeq
Prolly. Never knew he cameo'd in Indy though. A missionary huh? In what film?

Ahnold
Originally posted by roughrider
Aykroyd was friends with Spielberg, going back to working on '1941'.

Ah - thanks for clearing that up smile .

queeq
Ahnold's happy.

Ahnold
I was briefly ... but now I really want to know where Lucas is in "Temple Of Doom" stick out tongue !

exanda kane
Dammit! I saw Temple of Doom earlier (trilogy DVD thingme) and didn't see this! I could have found him and perhaps his lost movie career!

queeq
I found this:

"Cameo: a missionary in the background in the airport scene at the beginning "

Ahnold
Ah - thank you queeq. And now I'm happy once again stick out tongue !

queeq
Now I have to go out and spot him.

Stun
lol i thought that was dan aykroyd when i watched it the other nightstick out tongue now i'll have to look for Lucas too

...also didnt know that TOD was set a year before Raiders huh

queeq
Where have you been?

Did you notice the OB1 Club at least? wink

Aykroyd wasn''t hard to spot. Lucas is in the background somewhere.

Stun
yeah it's wierd, i've been a "fan" since i was a kid and i didnt notice all these things because i've never really properly watched them until recently, but now i've gone from being a fan to a fanatic i guess..

...oh and i've also learned that James Woods was in one of those boxes at the end of Raiders' laughing out loud

queeq
laughing

Next to the one with Rob Schneider?

Stun
"We have top men working on it now. "

queeq
laughing out loud

Batman Returns
yeah i cant believe that is dan akkroyd in ToD, that is crazy! its such a small part too.

queeq
I can't believe you guys didn't know. It's such old news, plus it's in the credits as well.

Roldahayes3
screen shots anyone??

queeq
Heeeeeeeere's Danny:

http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/gallery/dvdscreenshots/091.jpg

And these are the missionaries:
http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/gallery/dvdscreenshots/092.jpg

Apparantly... " Producer Frank Marshall has again a cameo role. He plays a coolie pulling a rickshaw in the background in the airport scene at the beginning.
Even Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Anthony Powell and Sid Ganis appeared as missionaries waiting for the airplane in that same scene. "

Ahnold
See, now I can clearly see Dan Aykroyd (obviously stick out tongue) ... but even now that I know exactly where to look, I *still* have absolutely no idea specifically where Speilberg and Lucas are! As for Marshall, Powell, and Ganis, I must confess that I don't actually know what they look like (and have never, in fact, heard of the latter 2) ...

Cheers for the uploads anyway queeq; at the very least, it's cool to know that Spielberg also makes a cameo in that scene smile .

queeq
Yeah... but it's maybe only visible on the Blu Ray Edition. I can't make it out either.

But it doesn't beat Spielberg's cameo in Blues Brothers.

Stun
another guy i reconised in TOD was 'Delbert Grady' from The Shining, and also Alexei Sayle in TLC (who's a big name in Britain most notable in 'The Young Ones', though i'm not sure how well known he is overseas) he's the guy who chooses the Rolls-Royce in the palace

queeq
Yeah, that's a well known cameo.

McLovin
Never noticed Aykroyd.

Very cool cameo.

Stun
awful british accent thoughstick out tongue but charming i guess

Sadako of Girth
He sounds like he is impersonating Threepio.

Very upper crust 30s style way of speaking.

queeq
I dunno... I wasn't alive then.

Stun
i was...

i'm a timelord ya knowyes

queeq
Ah....

Sadako of Girth
Me neither, but fortunately, the elderly and listening to the Royals in the way they used to talk is enough to hear that shit in play. Slower, true, but speed up Queen Elizabeth and bang. Dan Ackroyd/C-3P0ish accent.

queeq
Careful with the SW references. I got someone angry in here the last time I did that.

exanda kane
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*unsheaths whip*

...Do you unsheath whips or just take them out?

queeq
Is there a sheath long enough to hold a whip?

Just take it out... wink

exanda kane
It's not the sheath that holds it no, but since it is simply the best verb to use when kicking proverbial arse, it has got to come in somewhere. Unravelling the whip sounds vaguely perverted, so I'll stick with either unsheathing or unhooking it off the belt.

Anyway, the best director's cameo in their own films? I like some of the ones Peter Jackson did in LOTR. the one with the carrot, and the Francis Ford Coppola one in Apoc. Now. They're both pretty fun, and certainly less stiff than Lucas would be in cameo'ing in any of his efforts.

Oh, I guess Scorsese in Taxi Driver tops them all though.

ONTOPIC: DAN AKROYD DAN AKROYD.

queeq
Hitchcock is the master in director's cameo's.

But Aykroyd was great.... Maybe it was a return of favour after the Spielberg cameo in the Blues Brothers. That was darn funny.

Sadako of Girth
Yep that was superb. The special edition is the only way to go, BB wise.

Can't believe Universal cut so much originally.
Cutting that full "Boom Boom"/John Lee Hooker scene was a crime against cinema IMHO.

exanda kane
Aye, that was and yes, Hitchcock, I forgot about that bastard.

queeq

exanda kane
Are you prejudice against my dialect? happy

queeq
Oh... now it's a dialect thing... wink

exanda kane
Political Correctness Strikes Back!

queeq
In case of Sir Alfred it's just respect. wink

exanda kane
I still like the Alexei Sayle "cameo," although it's less of a cameo, more of an actual part.

queeq
It is. And a funny. "And I even like the color."

Sadako of Girth
I keep waiting for him to explode into his angry stand-up persona in that scene... "'Ello John! Got a noooooo moat-ahhhhhhhhhh...???????" stick out tongue

queeq
laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGMTCfjnP6Y&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXxzVuE_D1k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnPfgX82GmM&feature=related
stick out tongue

queeq
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.