EVANGEL94's Final Slugfest Tournament Announcement - Rules and Sign-Up Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Evangel94

Evangel94

Evangel94

Evangel94
Those who received their invitation know who they are. If you have any other questions, post them in this thread, and I will answer them.

Amp
This actually seems quite interesting.

King Kandy
Now THIS looks like one fun tourney. But are there any reality warpers you can afford to buy the ability for? That applies to all really expensive abilities.

Evangel94
Originally posted by Amp
This actually seems quite interesting.

You're actually pretty close to 1000 posts. Better get to posting! smile

pr1983
that is an awesome format, well played...

LORD B
what date is the tourney taking place

Evangel94
Originally posted by LORD B
what date is the tourney taking place

The tournament will begin immediately as soon as all the spots are filled.

Are you signing up for the tournament?

Devil Lance
I'm in
sign me up for this one too

DigiMark007
Crazy. But fun looking. Good luck all.

LORD B
Originally posted by Evangel94
The tournament will begin immediately as soon as all the spots are filled.

Are you signing up for the tournament?
thats why i asked about the start date, as of this monday ill be working away from home,so im not sure at the moment

King Kandy
To bad Dr. Strange isn't draftable, he would kill in this kind of tourney if you bought the right stuff for him.

Evangel94
Originally posted by King Kandy
To bad Dr. Strange isn't draftable, he would kill in this kind of tourney if you bought the right stuff for him.

Dr. Strange is draftable. You can draft him for 6 points. Characters between Street and Herald class are not limited to just what I wrote. I wrote that long list of characters to give you an idea where characters fit for their respective categories.

King Kandy
Oh. I just assumed he was in the Prime Herald class.

Evangel94
Oh. I just assumed he was in the Prime Herald class.

I'm sure with enough prep time and resources he could be a Prime Herald threat. All that matters is if your willing to pay for all that.

Just so I am clear, are you signing up for this tournament King Kandy?

Soljer
Really, really, really interesting format. I think I'll be watching this.

King Kandy
I'll have to think about this.

This tourney will most likely allow the most creative plans to date.

Amp

This tourney will most likely allow the most creative plans to date.

So your out then? no expression

King Kandy
No... I'll just need to be extra-creative... It will take mcuh effort...

Evangel94
So let me update the sign-up roster. Correct me if I am wrong

1. Amp (once he hits 1000 posts smile - He's really close! Go for it!)
2. King Kandy
3. Devil Lance
4. Lord B
11. <Reserved>
12. <Reserved>
13. <Reserved>
14. <Reserved>
15. <Reserved>
16. <Reserved>

Papa Smurph
Sign me up.

smile

Papa Smurph
Not to ***** or anything

but how does one go about taking out a 5D imp?

Amp
Originally posted by Papa Smurph
Sign me up.

smile

Oh christ. erm

darthgoober
Count me in.

When does this thing start?

Evangel94
Originally posted by darthgoober
Count me in.

When does this thing start?

It will start as soon as the roster is filled.

darthgoober
It will start as soon as the roster is filled.
Cool.

Evangel94
UPDATE - Here is an updated list of participants.

1. Amp (once he hits 1000 posts smile - He's really close! Go for it!)
2. King Kandy
3. Devil Lance
4. Lord B
5. Papa Smurph
6. darthgoober
11. <Reserved>
12. <Reserved>
13. <Reserved>
14. <Reserved>
15. <Reserved>
16. <Reserved>

Papa Smurph
Let me understand Amalgam.

Say you want

Captain America/Midnighter/Batman

That's 1+2+1+6

?

Evangel94
Let me understand Amalgam.

Say you want

Captain America/Midnighter/Batman

That's 1+2+1+6

?

Correct. It would cost 10 points.

Papa Smurph
Cool beans

when's drafts?

Evangel94
Cool beans

when's drafts?

Drafts will begin two days after the roster becomes full.

Papa Smurph
Cool now don't you want to make speed stealing an ability which costs points

smile

Evangel94
Cool now don't you want to make speed stealing an ability which costs points

smile

Speed Stealing? Could you be more specific?

Faceman
Speed Stealing? Could you be more specific?

I think he means someone like Flash, can steal peoples speed.

Papa Smurph
Draining an opponent of movement. Abilities that Wally and Walter West have for 6.

Very broken for 6 points and I can easily think of a grip of characters who it's very incharacter to just completely stop an opponent on a whim who'd probably qualify for the 4 point tier.

Evangel94
Announcement:

The Emergency Sub-Director for this tournament is: Badabing

If I disappear from the tournament for more than seven (7) days, Badabing will be responsible for pushing the tournament along based on the schedule I will post later. Other than that, I will be in-charge.

Blair Wind
Grey Gargoyle, Rouge, and Mimic all cost more than Wonder Woman? blink

Evangel94
Draining an opponent of movement. Abilities that Wally and Walter West have for 6.

Very broken for 6 points and I can easily think of a grip of characters who it's very incharacter to just completely stop an opponent on a whim who'd probably qualify for the 4 point tier.

Flash is 6 points and is in the Herald Class. I don't have a problem with it. If it's not listed in the extra abilities section, then you are free to use it. Though if enough people object then I will change it.

Though I don't get how you can steal someone's speed, since to the Flash wouldn't everyone be moving extra-slow anyway?

Papa Smurph
You just take their speed and leave them nigh-motionless for everyone on the field.

ie so and so takes Black Adam's speed making it so he can't even move

Guess I'll just tweak my team.

Evangel94
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Grey Gargoyle, Rouge, and Mimic all cost more than Wonder Woman? blink

Regular Wonder Woman is five (5) points, if you want all her extra equipment like her armor, wings, shield, sword, spear, etc then she becomes six (6) points and you may have to for extra abilities depending on what your trying to add on to her.

pr1983
Flash is 6 points and is in the Herald Class. I don't have a problem with it. If it's not listed in the extra abilities section, then you are free to use it. Though if enough people object then I will change it.

Though I don't get how you can steal someone's speed, since to the Flash wouldn't everyone be moving extra-slow anyway?

not people like superman, wonder woman etc...

Evangel94

pr1983

SmurphSmash!
Consider my reserved spot filled... I'm in.

Evangel94
pr1983
Faceman
Blair Wind

Could you please clarify if you are joining this tournament or not? While I deeply appreciate you input, I am trying to avoid confusion on who is and who isn't signing up for this tournament.

There will be a tournament discussion that will I will create later, for everyone to speak their mind freely however they choose.

JasonK4
I am not signing up.

Originally posted by SmurphSmash!
Consider my reserved spot filled... I'm in.
Two tourney's at once. This guy's a true champ. jockey

Evangel94
Originally posted by pr1983
you should probably make flash 6 anyways... the guy is a beast, and there's very few non heralds he wouldnt walk all over...

just saying... embarrasment

Without speed stealing or infinite mass punch, what could Flash do to beat most Herald level opponents that have extreme durability, their own flash level speed, and tremendous power and energy projection?

Evangel94
Announcement

Anyone who isn't signing up but posts in this thread, please put "I am not signing up" at the beginning of your message to avoid confusion.

Papa Smurph
Speed up someone's heart causing it to give up.

pr1983
Without speed stealing or infinite mass punch, what could Flash do to beat most Herald level opponents that have extreme durability, their own flash level speed, and tremendous power and energy projection?

very few heralds would have wally's speed... wally at full power can avoid pretty much every attack, and can still vibrate inside someone till they explode... stick out tongue

King Kandy
The same way he usually beats them.

It's actually pretty rarely that he uses a speed-steal or infinite mass punch.

Evangel94
Announcement: Updated List of Participants

UPDATE - Here is an updated list of participants and people involved

King Kandy
I know the rules are already decided, but it would be pretty neat if every round you got like five extra points to spend.

Evangel94
Originally posted by pr1983
very few heralds would have wally's speed... wally at full power can avoid pretty much every attack, and can still vibrate inside someone till they explode... stick out tongue

I would consider that a "Death Touch" attack. And are you participating in this tournament?

pr1983
I would consider that a "Death Touch" attack.

alrighty, as long as it works for you, thats the main thing...

Evangel94
Announcement

OK Everyone, I know you are all excited to participate, but I am being bombarded by a staggering amount of Private Messages by current and potential participants.

This thread is restricted only for people who wish to sign-up. Please keep all questions and comments to the tournament discussion thread which I am going to create later today.

EDIT: The following people, please clarify whether or not you are participating:

pr1983
Faceman
Blair Wind
JasonK4

-Evangel94 smile

pr1983
sorry no, i'm not... erm

JasonK4
Sorry, I can't either. Not enough comic knowledge. sad

Blair Wind
No. If I change my mind, and there is still space Ill let you know.

SmurphSmash!
Amp was banned, permanently.

Evangel94
I've decided to open the tournament discussion thread once the roster is full. Until then please keep any character or ability specific questions to yourself. The tournament will begin once the roster is full. At which point I will open the tournament discussion thread and announce the schedule.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by JasonK4
Sorry, I can't either. Not enough comic knowledge. sad

Clearly, since you just voted for Blair's team in ill's tourney.

stick out tongue

Evangel94
Amp was banned, permanently.

He was? And he was so close to 1000 posts. He could have made it too. Anyway, this thread will remain open until there are enough participants. Assuming enough people decide to participate soon, drafts will start towards the end of next week.

illadelph12
Interesting format. I had something similar in mind for my fantasy league (a salary cap), but I was going to cap the draft choices at High Meta. I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

King Kandy
You should join.

Evangel94
Updated List of Participants

LORD B
sorry evangel im not gonna be able to participate sad

Evangel94
Announcement

Since many people keep asking me repeatedly, the list from Street to Herald is not limited to what I wrote. I wrote down that list as examples to show you what fits in that category. If you have any questions about who fits in what class, feel free to ask.

-Evangel94

Evangel94
sorry evangel im not gonna be able to participate sad

That's a shame, we only need 5 to 6 more people to start. Is it a scheduling conflict that is preventing you from participating?

LORD B
That's a shame, we only need 5 to 6 more people to start. Is it a scheduling conflict that is preventing you from participating?
work comitments and im in the process of redecorating for the sale of my house.

Evangel94
work comitments and im in the process of redecorating for the sale of my house.

Ah I see. Well I wish you the best of luck in being able to sell your house. smile

-Evangel94

LORD B
Ah I see. Well I wish you the best of luck in being able to sell your house. smile

-Evangel94
thanks

TricksterPriest
I'm not gonna participate. But I was wondering if you need a judge?

Because this looks like more fun than a barrel of monkeys to judge. laughing out loud

So many loopholes and broken aspects.........evillaugh

Evangel94
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I'm not gonna participate. But I was wondering if you need a judge?

Because this looks like more fun than a barrel of monkeys to judge. laughing out loud

So many loopholes and broken aspects.........evillaugh

Its a real shame you won't participate in this slugfest like you did in the last. Especially with all three of your favorite characters in your signature being selectable. (Apocalypse, Thanos, and Darkseid)

Anyway, the idea of this tournament is to give people much more freedom to choose than in any other tournament, and to get people to stop being so focused on the cap and "levels" aspect of tournaments. It's completely up to you if you're willing to pay the price for the characters and abilities.

Voting wise, judges are not a part of this tournament. Anyone who has 1000 posts or more can vote in this tournament for the battles.

-Evangel94 smile

TricksterPriest
Its a real shame you won't participate in this slugfest like you did in the last. Especially with all three of your favorite characters in your signature being selectable. (Apocalypse, Thanos, and Darkseid)

Anyway, the idea of this tournament is to give people much more freedom to choose than in any other tournament, and to get people to stop being so focused on the cap and "levels" aspect of tournaments. It's completely up to you if you're willing to pay the price for the characters and abilities.

Voting wise, judges are not a part of this tournament. Anyone who has 1000 posts or more can vote in this tournament for the battles.

-Evangel94 smile

And that Evangel, is exactly WHY I'm not participating. This thing is horribly broken. Darkseid alone could take most of the people you listed as examples.

Only H/P DD and Galactus could possibly beat him. And restricting to the last 3 years may hurt him abit, but he still towers over most of the compeditors in this. and I find it insulting that you had to nerf him that heavily to allow him in. thumb down

You really should get someone who knows comics better to help you with this.

Like Captain Spaulding. vin

Papa Smurph
And that Evangel, is exactly WHY I'm not participating. This thing is horribly broken. Darkseid alone could take most of the people you listed as examples.
vin

laughing out loud

TricksterPriest
I challenged you in Red's tourney. Afraid to compete? wink

Papa Smurph
What?

If anything Darkseid as he appeared in the last 3 years is 14 points too expensive.

Val
He was? And he was so close to 1000 posts. He could have made it too. Anyway, this thread will remain open until there are enough participants. Assuming enough people decide to participate soon, drafts will start towards the end of next week.
He'll be back and then you can just add in the post count from all his other sock accounts.

TricksterPriest
Too afraid to face me in a tourney that ISN'T broken? wink

Papa Smurph

What tourney?

Btw this tourney is probably one of the better structured ones

Though I guess can see why someone who thinks Darkseid is actually worth the 20 points would object.

I have an idea, why not you pick Darkseid in this format and I show you why he's a chump, using this format.

smile

Evangel94
vin

Then enter this tournament and show me how powerful Darkseid really is. If he is as powerful as you say he is, then you should be able to barrel right through all the competition. Or are you afraid this tournament is too "broken" for you compete? wink

-Evangel94

JasonK4
Originally posted by Val
He'll be back and then you can just add in the post count from all his other sock accounts.
Lulz. He came back today as Mak12. He got banned after 3 posts.
That was unnecessary. no expression

TricksterPriest
What tourney?

Btw this tourney is probably one of the better structured ones

Though I guess can see why someone who thinks Darkseid is actually worth the 20 points would object.

I have an idea, why not you pick Darkseid in this format and I show you why he's a chump, using this format.

smile

hysterical Better structured? Gee, I guess that's why most of KMC's elite debators joined Red's tourney and are avoiding this one. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Then again, I should expect nothing less from someone who stole their user name. you have no creativity, which means you could never compete in a REAL tourney. wink

Papa Smurph
I can see why a Darkseid fan would hate this tourney

#2 Characters will act in-character.

Essentially means that the only thing Darkseid is good for is zapping himself with the omega effect and getting his eyes swollen into doorknobs by any credible CL100

TricksterPriest
Cause Evangel took all his good showings out. She left him with barely anything.

There's no point in using DS in this. She left him with basically S/B, Countdown, and a few others.

King Kandy
hysterical Better structured? Gee, I guess that's why most of KMC's elite debators joined Red's tourney and are avoiding this one. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Then again, I should expect nothing less from someone who stole their user name. you have no creativity, which means you could never compete in a REAL tourney. wink
Um, he beat Long Pig... He's quite a good debator.

Papa Smurph
Evangel could merely say Darkseid is limited to post crisis and CANON appearances and he's still liable to catch a beat down from most the 6's.

Evangel94
First you roared with this...

Only H/P DD and Galactus could possibly beat him. And restricting to the last 3 years may hurt him abit, but he still towers over most of the compeditors in this. vin

And now your whimpering with this...

Cause Evangel took all his good showings out. She left him with barely anything.

There's no point in using DS in this. She left him with basically S/B, Countdown, and a few others.

Is that clucking I hear TricksterPriest? Just a minute ago you said Darkseid alone could take most of my listed examples. And now that I dared you to enter this tournament and show me, you're backing down. Is the "brokeness" too much for you to handle now?

-Evangel94

King Kandy
Yeah seriously, Trickster is showing himself for a coward. He wouldn't face me in Illadelph's tourney either.

Papa Smurph
I mean, it's not like anyone else will pick Darkseid.

Tony Stark
Tru dat...

laughing

King Kandy
I have a feeling this Tourney will degenerate into one huge Thanos Vs. Darkseid debate.

I'll still be taking part, of course.

Akuki
I'm thinking of taking part, it'll probably depend on whether I can figure out how this thing works.

Evangel94
Originally posted by Akuki
I'm thinking of taking part, it'll probably depend on whether I can figure out how this thing works.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll do my best to make it clear.

-Evangel94

Evangel94
Announcement

Anyone who is even mildly interested in participating better sign up soon. I am ending sign-ups by Tuesday Midnight CST.

Evangel94
Yeah seriously, Trickster is showing himself for a coward. He wouldn't face me in Illadelph's tourney either.

Trickster's logic doesn't make sense either. My tournament is so broken that he's afraid to participate because Darkseid would dominate too much? Since when is anyone afraid to dominate in a tournament? What the f**k?

Well, once I challenged him to show me, he changed his tune fast.

If anyone thinks this tournament is broken, I dare them to enter and show me how broken it is.

Tony Stark
Trickster's logic doesn't make sense either. My tournament is so broken that he's afraid to participate because Darkseid would dominate too much? Since when is anyone afraid to dominate in a tournament? What the f**k?

Well, once I challenged him to show me, he changed his tune fast.

If anyone thinks this tournament is broken, I dare them to enter and show me how broken it is.

It's far from broken... In fact it's one of the best set ups for a tourney that I've seen... Kudo's to you Eva.

OneTrickPony is all air... He's just a feeeeeared I say... a feeeeeared.

Happy Dance

Symmetric Chaos
Hummmm . . .

I think I'll try this one (despite my apprehensions toward getting destroyed) I really like the set up.

One question: how is amalgamation controlled or is it entirely up to us?

SmurphSmash!
Section 3: Rules and Regulations

#6 Each team is allowed only one amalgam. These cannot be pre-existing amalgams from cross-overs. They are your own home-made amalgam. Amalgam combinations from the comics, e.g.Doom/Surfer, will not necessarily be like how they appeared in the comics. Amalgam powers are not cumulative, i.e., merging Wonder Man and Wonder Woman does not give you CL 200 strength; you are simply whoever is the strongest in their respective power categories. You must designate whose mind and body the amalgam possesses. All amalgams will have full knowledge of how to use all their powers.

Evangel94
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Hummmm . . .

I think I'll try this one (despite my apprehensions toward getting destroyed) I really like the set up.

One question: how is amalgamation controlled or is it entirely up to us?

Outside of the rules, its entirely up to you as long as you can pay the cost.

For example:

Flaming "Jugger" Woman

Juggernaut - 6 points (Body)
Human Torch - 4 points
Wonder Woman - 5 points (Mind)
Amalgam, Lv. 2 - 6 points

Total Cost: 21 points (Remember you only 25 points maximum)

Don't forget to specify which body and mind you're using for your amalgam. You can also pay to just have an amalgam of two characters instead of three if you feel like it.

Mr. Stretchy Storm

Mr. Fantastic - 2 points (mind)
Storm - 4 points (Body)
Amalgam, Lv. 1 - 4 points

Total Cost: 10 points

Evangel94
Announcement

OK for those who keep asking me(you know who you are),

If you are relatively close to 1000 posts, lets say 800 posts and have been registered on the forum for at least 3 months, I will allow you to participate.

Evangel94
Updated List of Participants

There are currently 12 (twelve) participants. 4 (four) more to reach maximum tournament capacity. I encourage anyone who has any questions about this tournament to feel free to ask me. And to those who keep asking me if they can still join even if they don't have 1000 posts, please see my above post.

Symmetric Chaos
Outside of the rules, its entirely up to you as long as you can pay the cost.

For example:

Flaming "Jugger" Woman

Juggernaut - 6 points (Body)
Human Torch - 4 points
Wonder Woman - 5 points (Mind)
Amalgam, Lv. 2 - 6 points

Total Cost: 21 points (Remember you only 25 points maximum)

Don't forget to specify which body and mind you're using for your amalgam. You can also pay to just have an amalgam of two characters instead of three if you feel like it.

Mr. Stretchy Storm

Mr. Fantastic - 2 points (mind)
Storm - 4 points (Body)
Amalgam, Lv. 1 - 4 points

Total Cost: 10 points

Wonderful. *laughs maniacally*

Laminator_X
I think there are some questionable things in the set up, particularly WRT some of the special abilities that need to be purchased, but hopefully nothing that can't be worked out prior the draft process. We probably need some things to be clarified a bit before people start to show their hands. Is this an appropriate thread to discuss that sort of thing, or should that wait until the participants are finalized?
Just the same, even with some balance issues to be worked out, this has the potential to be a lot of fun.

Evangel94
I will open a discussion thread once all the participants are finalized. If you have any general questions, feel free to ask it in this thread. If you have a very specific question that may give away your strategy, ask me in a Private Message.

-Evangel94

EDIT: Regarding special abilities for example, if you want Thor then you can buy him for 6 points. However, if you want Thor's Godblast for the battle, then you have to purchase it Utter Devastation attack for 8 additional points.

Laminator_X
I might suggest a more generalized method of determining point-costs. The basic ideais sound, but there seem to be some imbalances in play. For instance, several of the 20pt characters have abilities which would cost a lower ranked character 20 pts or more to acquire as add-ons.

Evangel94
Originally posted by Laminator_X
I might suggest a more generalized method of determining point-costs. The basic ideais sound, but there seem to be some imbalances in play. For instance, several of the 20pt characters have abilities which would cost a lower ranked character 20 pts or more to acquire as add-ons.

It is actually quite balanced. Let me explain...

That is the bonus you get by choosing a 20 point character. By sacrificing almost all your points to choose a 20 point character, you don't need to pay for the extras. You get the whole package.

It wouldn't be fair if you could play it safe and choose a 6 point character and buy add-ons to power them up to match or surpass a 20 point character at the same or even less cost.

Bigger Risk, Bigger Reward.

EDIT: Which abilities are you refering to for 20 point characters? The highest ability you can get is reality warping and time manipulation for 19 points, but none of the Enhanced or Prime Heralds have those abilities.

SmurphSmash!
It is actually quite balanced. Let me explain...

That is the bonus you get by choosing a 20 point character. By sacrificing almost all your points to choose a 20 point character, you don't need to pay for the extras. You get the whole package.

It wouldn't be fair if you could play it safe and choose a 6 point character and buy add-ons to power them up to match or surpass a 20 point character at the same or even less cost.

Bigger Risk, Bigger Reward.

EDIT: Which abilities are you refering to for 20 point characters? The highest ability you can get is reality warping and time manipulation for 19 points, but none of the Enhanced or Prime Heralds have those abilities. Hmm... if you spend all those points on prep, do you get them for every match, or for only one?

Evangel94
Hmm... if you spend all those points on prep, do you get them for every match, or for only one?

If you buy prep-time, you get it every match you have. Just remember Enhanced Heralds and Prime Heralds, even though they don't need to pay for their extra abilities, it does not give them automatic prep. As for all characters, you have to buy prep seperately if you want it.

Laminator_X
Warlock 6 + Soul Suck 8 + Organic Matter Transmutation 7 =21

There's one.

Kang 6 + Time Manip 19 = 25 pts

There's another.

Most of the Heralds of Galactus will top 20 if you pay for lightspeed attack, a mega-attack, and matter-trans.

What requires buying BFR as well? Spidey's webs, exo-teleportation, punching to the horizon?

King Kandy
BFR is not allowed in this tourney, right?

Laminator_X
BFR is not allowed in this tourney, right?

Costs 5 points for the privilege, unless you're a 20 point character. We don't as yet have a clear definition of what exactly counts though. Darkseid using Omega beams to send someone away would seem like a clear yes, but what about Graviton pinning everyone to the top of the dome or whatever?

King Kandy
Right, but does it get you the win? The way the rules are stated, it only counts as a win if they can't get back within ten minutes.

TricksterPriest
EDIT: Which abilities are you refering to for 20 point characters? The highest ability you can get is reality warping and time manipulation for 19 points, but none of the Enhanced or Prime Heralds have those abilities.

hysterical Darkseid, Galactus, Amazo, Thunderbolt.....

WAIT! THUNDERBOLT!? As in Johnny Thunder's thunderbolt, Cei-U?! What the f**k? HE'S A 5D IMP, WHAT THE HELL MAN!!!?

King Kandy
All he could do to Spectre was sting his eyes a bit.

TricksterPriest
All he could do to Spectre was sting his eyes a bit.

stfugtfo

King Kandy
Says the person who was to scared to join the tourney in the first place, and wouldn't face me in Illadelph's tourney.

TricksterPriest
Says the person who was to scared to join the tourney in the first place, and wouldn't face me in Illadelph's tourney.

You have a 5D imp in this tournament as a legal character, and you're going to talk shit to me about joining it?

stfugtfo

Laminator_X
At a glance, there are some seriously unstoppable things that could be done:
Starving Galactus + 5 one pointers. Big G turns one pointers into 5 Heralds with all sorts of whacky Power Cosmic abilities: Instant 50 point team.

Pick Darkseid or Thunderbolt and BFR the whole other team.

HoM Wanda 21pts...

These are perfectly valid within the rules, but would be no fun whatsoever for the participants.

xmarksthespot
Rogue with her regular abilities costs almost as much as Galactus and Darkseid...

The Engineer with her regular abilities costs more than Galactus and Darkseid, and exceeds the total point allocation...

King Kandy
Yeah actually I agree, this tourney could use a bit of reform.

TricksterPriest
I told you this shit was broken. stick out tongue

King Kandy
No reason not to join it. Just help it out a bit.

Evangel94
At a glance, there are some seriously unstoppable things that could be done:
Starving Galactus + 5 one pointers. Big G turns one pointers into 5 Heralds with all sorts of whacky Power Cosmic abilities: Instant 50 point team.

Lol, I like you're creativitiy, but that isn't happening. A starving Galactus as seen in Fantastic Four #243 was laid down by Dr. Strange, and the Thing. He won't have the energy to create five new simultaneous heralds.

And the rules
#2 Characters will act in-character.

Yeah, I don't see Galactus creating 5 new random Heralds with powers that you will have to come up with and explain. It's not in Galactus's nature to be dropping new heralds left and right for just one battle, especially when he is starving.

#7 The default is no prep whatsoever and no knowledge of who you are fighting. You must expend points to obtain prep and/or knowledge.

If you ARE drafting Galactus, Galactus won't have the energy, time, or even the motive for execute your plan. Even when Galactus has actually allied with Marvel characters in the past I haven't seen him creating new Heralds. But your welcome to try to actually argue Galactus doing it. But I don't see that happening. Remember this is not what you want to happen but what would most likely happen with the characters, prep, and knowledge you have obtained.

Pick Darkseid or Thunderbolt and BFR the whole other team.

Battlefield Removal: Remove one foe from the field of battle (failure is possible based on plausibility of battle writeup; removed being can come back so long as he/she has the power to do so)

Even though Darkseid doesn't have to pay for Battlefield removal, he is still limited to one character removal, and even that isn't guaranteed.

TricksterPriest
So you're not going to take out the Thunderbolt? no expression

Mr. Slippyfist
So you're not going to take out the Thunderbolt? no expression What exactly has Thunderbolt ever done?

Evangel94

HoM Wanda 21pts...

Uh-huh I don't recall HoM Wanda being listed for 21 points, and I don't see House of M Wanda under any of the categories. I would allow regular Scarlett Witch, but Enhanced Herald and Prime Herald are restricted to what I wrote.

Besides even if I allowed HoM Wanda for even 10 points, you would still need to pay 19 points for reality manipulation. It's priced out your range.

Hehe, are you trying to get Regular Scarlet Witch for 2 points (who by the way, she is 3 points) and pay 19 points for reality manipulation? Nice try. Not that easy! HoM Wanda is a seperate version of the character and buying her plus the reality manipulation ability costs more than 25 points. Essentially she's priced out of range.

I must say...KMC is really putting these rules through its paces, and trying to find loopholes in the rules before the tournament has even begun. lol

Evangel94

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over your clucking.

I kid. I kid. But seriously, either enter this tournament and show me how broken my set-up really is, or please stop saying you won't join because it's too "broken." Unless you actually show me personally, I won't learn from my "mistakes" wink.

Symmetric Chaos

What's Thunderbolt going to do with so many powers restricted though? confused

Laminator_X
Uh-huh I don't recall HoM Wanda being listed for 21 points, and I don't see House of M Wanda under any of the categories. I would allow regular Scarlett Witch, but Enhanced Herald and Prime Herald are restricted to what I wrote.

Besides even if I allowed HoM Wanda for even 10 points, you would still need to pay 19 points for reality manipulation. It's priced out your range.

Hehe, are you trying to get Regular Scarlet Witch for 2 points (who by the way, she is 3 points) and pay 19 points for reality manipulation? Nice try. Not that easy! HoM Wanda is a seperate version of the character and buying her plus the reality manipulation ability costs more than 25 points. Essentially she's priced out of range.

As written, there is no 3 point category. Your 2 point category is everything superhuman below Iron-Man. Even with a 4 point Wanda though, without reality manipulation she's got bad luck hexes, some minor magic, and healing. Sounds like below Iron-Man to me. Without RM, what on Earth does HoM wanda have to make her a 10-pointer like 70's Thanos?

In concept though, how else were you envisioning a Reality Manipulation buy? Is Rick Jones with the Destiny Force also a separate version of the character and thus unavailable as well? What Jean Grey + Reality Manipulation for a 23 point Phoenix? If I take Mastermind and tack on the Power Gem (12-14 total pts), would I need Reality Manipulation as well?

I might also suggest that setting up low-powered versions of forum favorites as choices (weakest Galactus ever, 70's Thanos) is asking for voter confusion as far as acceptable feats and capabilities.

Again, I like the concept here, it just seems very arbitrarily executed and prone to wide imbalances in effectiveness with a given point cost.

Evangel94
As written, there is no 3 point category.

True I didn't directly write the 3 point category on there, but I did mention wolverine and sabretooth being 3 points. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. From now on I will a seperate 3 point meta category for metas that are 3. But really I encourage everyone to compare their choices to what I wrote down, if you have any issues, just ask me what you think.

20 point Galactus is starving and is hungry, and you have (5) five points, what do you do or what can you buy? Be creative in your write-up and make those 5 points count if you really want Galactus.

With what's available I am sure you can think of something for those 5 points.

EDIT: I remember a young wild Laminator X who made the moon explode in his write-up a long long time ago.

Laminator_X
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over your clucking.

I kid. I kid. But seriously, either enter this tournament and show me how broken my set-up really is, or please stop saying you won't join because it's too "broken." Unless you actually show me personally, I won't learn from my "mistakes" wink.

A better approach might be to take some time to adjust the broken parts of the overall good idea so that those of us joining can have a fun and rewarding experience.

Otherwise, we'll end up moving into a very bitter and frustrating draft stage where nobody's sure what exactly is or is not legal and having to revise our line-ups over and over. That wold be followed by some very boring/lopsided early matches leading to finals between whomever manages to game the rules the most cleverly/badly.

I'd much rather we take the time to work out some solutions than either gripe about or ignore problems.

Evangel94
As written, there is no 3 point category. Your 2 point category is everything superhuman below Iron-Man. Even with a 4 point Wanda though, without reality manipulation she's got bad luck hexes, some minor magic, and healing. Sounds like below Iron-Man to me. Without RM, what on Earth does HoM wanda have to make her a 10-pointer like 70's Thanos?

In concept though, how else were you envisioning a Reality Manipulation buy? Is Rick Jones with the Destiny Force also a separate version of the character and thus unavailable as well? What Jean Grey + Reality Manipulation for a 23 point Phoenix? If I take Mastermind and tack on the Power Gem (12-14 total pts), would I need Reality Manipulation as well?

I might also suggest that setting up low-powered versions of forum favorites as choices (weakest Galactus ever, 70's Thanos) is asking for voter confusion as far as acceptable feats and capabilities.

Again, I like the concept here, it just seems very arbitrarily executed and prone to wide imbalances in effectiveness with a given point cost.

Lol, that would be funny if HoM wanda is allowed.

Superman, Thor, Silver Surfer, Gladiator

vs

HoM Wanda

HoM Wanda: No more.....*gets hit in the face by mjolnir*

Thor: I say thee nay!

Laminator_X
20 point Galactus is starving and is hungry, and you have (5) five points, what do you do or what can you buy? Be creative in your write-up and make those 5 points count if you really want Galactus.

With what's available I am sure you can think of something for those 5 points.

EDIT: I remember a young wild Laminator X who made the moon explode in his write-up a long long time ago.

Oh absolutely, I was planning on taking Galactus and using 36 hours of prep in a lab build his big machine to open (and close) each match by consuming the planet. Really, how else could I top the moon thing. wink

The real question is would he still be starving after that, or would he then enter his next match fed?

Symmetric Chaos
I agree with some of the general questions here.

Can you put together a list of exactly what powers Heralds and up have available? (ie Surfer can destroy planets but would using his powers like that require UtterlyDevastationAttack?)

Evangel94
The idea isn't whether or not Galactus or Darkseid is really worth 20 points in this tournament. Some characters may be overpriced in your opinion, and some may. But its what you can do with 25 points and what creative strategies you can create while staying within the point cap.

Although, I don't want to give anyone any hints, I will tell you whether or not your strategy is valid, so if you are afraid of revealing your trump card just ask me in a PM instead of posting questions here in this thread. Plenty of your opponents have been coming up with some very funny and creative ideas in their PM's to me while working with a 25 point cap.

Evangel94
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I agree with some of the general questions here.

Can you put together a list of exactly what powers Heralds and up have available? (ie Surfer can destroy planets but would using his powers like that require UtterlyDevastationAttack?)

Does Silver Surfer have some sort of Godblast like attack I am not aware of? I thought that was just him not holding back.

Usually Surfer can get the job done without blowing up the planet. However he is a pacifist and prefers not to exert that much unnecessary power unless pushed. That's just his nature. Remember the characters will act in character rule?

If you truly want to unlock surfer's power, why don't you make a 2 person amalgam with one of then being silver surfer, and replace silver surfer's mind with someone's who isn't afraid to hold back?

Unless Silver Surfer is fighting someone who will make him fight not holding back... hmm...

Evangel94
Oh absolutely, I was planning on taking Galactus and using 36 hours of prep in a lab build his big machine to open (and close) each match by consuming the planet. Really, how else could I top the moon thing. wink

The real question is would he still be starving after that, or would he then enter his next match fed?

That'll work, with the Galactus prep power up strategy you got there. BUT remember your surrounded by a impenetrable forcefield that is 10 miles wide in all directions (think of a sphere). So you won't be able to devour the whole planet. Just the battlefield.

However to a starving Galactus, that could be a significant power up. He won't be starving, but probably still hungry, but enough to more of a threat than he was before.

Evangel94
I just want to stress to everyone that what you buy in terms of characters and abilities applies to all the matches you will take part in. So if you buy 15 minutes of prep, you get that for all matches you fight in.

Symmetric Chaos
Does Silver Surfer have some sort of Godblast like attack I am not aware of? I thought that was just him not holding back.

Usually Surfer can get the job done without blowing up the planet. However he is a pacifist and prefers not to exert that much unnecessary power unless pushed. That's just his nature. Remember the characters will act in character rule?

If you truly want to unlock surfer's power, why don't you make a 2 person amalgam with one of then being silver surfer, and replace silver surfer's mind with someone's who isn't afraid to hold back?

Unless Silver Surfer is fighting someone who will make him fight not holding back... hmm...

Simply an example.

Or is it shifty

Yeah it is.

Evangel94
To the person who asked me,

Yes, Darkseid's omega "erasure" beams can be used (as portrayed in the last 3 years). They would be considered an Utter Devastation attack ability, but are limited to one successful "erasing" per round. You can't erase the entire opposing team. Plausibility is based on your write-up.

Also, just a reminder to everyone. Tommorow (Tuesday Feb. 12) is the last day to sign up for this tournament.

Evangel94
Forgot to mention that the cutt off time to sign up is 11:59 PM Tuesday (Feb 12.) Central Standard Time.

King Kandy
There are tons of loopholes in this tourney. I think people are scared of joining something so... out of control.

Mr. Slippyfist
There are tons of loopholes in this tourney. I think people are scared of joining something so... out of control. Can you point them out in a nice fashion rather than being a dick... please?

King Kandy
I think enough have been pointed out to give a general sort of idea. There's no clear boundaries on what classifies as what ability. Things like that.

Papa Smurph
Those aren't loopholes.

Just a miscommunication/lack of common sense.

A loophole would be someone drafting Jesse Custer. Which is really the only one I can think of.

darthgoober
I have a question about power copier's. Is the 8pt. cost automatically tacked on to someone like Super Adaptoid if he wan't to use the powers he already has access to, or is it something that you just have to pay if you want to copy the powers of your opponents?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>